Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Steak

Options
  • 07-01-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭

Last Few times ive been cooking Fillet Steak its going a small bit 'soggy' , when frying it in the pan., using a small bit of Oil aswell.

Any suggestions on a different way to cook it or am i doing something wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Rub with a little oil, salt and pepper then sear on both sides in a pan at a really high temperature and finish off under grill or in oven

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

the key is in the pan, it must be red hot before sticking the steak on it.

1) heat the pan till red hot
    2) leave the steak out for 20 mins to adjust to room temp
    3) rub the steak with olive oil
    4) season with pepper

then drop on the pan, you should hear a straight away sizzling sound, if you dont hear this it isnt hot enough. i normally do mine medium/rare so i leave it on each side for 4ish mins... then let sit on the plate for 2 mins before serving...

edit... i dont like too much salt... but yeh salt is used by most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Don't cook straight from the fridge - biggest mistake made with steak IMO. It should be cooked from room temperature or even slightly warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Are you using a regular or grill pan? I find grill pans fantastic - as well as the charred effect, the steak is raised a bit on the ridges so not sitting in the juices/oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Reg pan, but someone at home here suggested a grill Pan the other day, i must pick one up.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055321234

There was also another huge thread about a week or two ago on steaks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your best bet is a pan/grill pan made from cast iron.

Leave the steak out to warm up. Rub oil, pepper and balsamic vinegar (optional) onto it and leave to marinade. You don't need to put oil in the pan.

As you're doing fillet steak, turn on your oven.

Put the pan on a high heat and leave. When you think it's hot enough, leave it for another five minutes again. Sear the outside of the steak in the pan so that it's nice and crispy. Pop into the the oven for a few minutes to cook through.

Once out of the oven, put it on a wooden board or so and leave it to rest for 5 mins before eating.

If doing sirloin/striploin etc you won't need the oven unless you're aiming for well done. Myself, I like rare or blue steak, so mine only see the pan for about 1-1.5 mins each side depending.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's all here. Sigh, why do people never read the stickies? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Yup, the search returns lots of results for steak:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055772340
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055733600

Perhaps these can be merged to the one in the faq also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Op how you know the pan is hot enough is that once you see the oil start smoking then put in the steak.

Also when the steak is nearly done put a knob of butter or two into the pan, let the butter melt and then baste the steak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

TechnoPool wrote: »
    Last Few times ive been cooking Fillet Steak its going a small bit 'soggy' , when frying it in the pan., using a small bit of Oil aswell.

Any suggestions on a different way to cook it or am i doing something wrong?

Replicate the sous vide method by wrapping the steaks in parchment paper and tinfoil and putting them in the oven at 65c - that's 65c. If your oven doesn't start until 120 on the dial, invest a couple of shillings in an oven thermometer. The meat will be medium rare after about 30 minutes for a single steak. The larger piece of meat, the longer the piece takes to reach the 65c temperature throughout. Just before serving, unwrap the meat, pat dry, season with salt and pepper and flash across a ridge pan to colour the outside.

This produces a rare to medium rare steak or larger joint right through the meat - from a couple of mille' under the surface to the centre - beef is medium rare at 65c. The beef won't be black and blue - which is what you typically get when you flash fry then oven finish a steak.

If you have one of those digitally controlled ovens, forget it and go with the methods decsribed above. Many digitally controlled ovens start at temperatures over 100c and cannot do lower temperatures.

Advertisement