Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Recovery - Windows System Restore question

• 07-01-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

A mate's PC cannot start windows due to a file in the Windows\system folder missing or being corrupt.

I want to run PC Recovery and perform a Windows System Restore but have a question I hope somebody can help me with.

There are three Windows System Restore options to choose from, two seem to be destructive and will roll the PC back to it's original settings, the other states that "Any changes that System Restore makes to your computer are completely reversible".

Does this mean applications that have been installed since the PC was purchased will not be removed? Has anybody done this before and if so can you tell me what's involved in this process?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Does this mean applications that have been installed since the PC was purchased will not be removed? Has anybody done this before and if so can you tell me what's involved in this process?

I'd go with that one if you want to keep your apps.
    The other ones will reset it to the default.
    A mate's PC cannot start windows due to a file in the Windows\system folder missing or being corrupt.

Restoring the registry would probable resolve that error. What is the full error?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Full error appears just after the HP splash screen and states:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    C:\Windows\System\vgaoem.fon
    You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

PC didn't come with a Windows disk but I believe there is a partition on the hard drive with the initial setup saved. I hope (cos I don't know for definite so I can only hope) that some snap shots have been taken during the life of the PC and that the option above to restore will restore to a recent set up rather than all the way back to the original settings.

Well the default is to have System Restore turned on so unless it was turned off you should have snapshots available.
    I would go with the restore so. A system restore will only effect system files so the apps will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

but if the pc cannot boot, how can you get in to the system restore screens? is this a new feature of vista or something, where you can run system restores outside of the os being started??

Certain boot cd's such as Hirens and UBCD4Win will allow to you use the system restore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Certain boot cd's such as Hirens and UBCD4Win will allow to you use the system restore.
    thats good to know, cheers.

Advertisement