Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured wild bird

Options
  • 07-01-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Looks to have damaged his/her wing. Its making no attempt to fly, have it in a box at the moment. Rang a local vet and he will have a look but it will cost me.

Any ideas what to do with him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'd ring another vet to be honest. I bring any injured wildlife to my local vet and they always treat them for free, got the impression from them that vets should... So maybe ring a different vet in your area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Bumble32 wrote: »
    Looks to have damaged his/her wing. Its making no attempt to fly, have it in a box at the moment. Rang a local vet and he will have a look but it will cost me.

Any ideas what to do with him.

Most vets treat wild birds and don't charge anything.
    No harm in mentioning that when you're speaking to him.

But in the meantime, dark box, dish of water, sometimes stress is the major problem, if they survive that, they have some chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Good news, we placed the bird in a dark box for an hour and it came around a bit more. Left it loose in the garden and after a half hour of hopping around it took off.

Result

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I rescued 2 starlings this morning - cat's brought them in and was delighted to see them both fly off although one was a bit worse for wear. They're tough little birds! Cats are all locked inside now.

Advertisement