Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The genius of TOS

• 07-01-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

On cbs action these days, its both thought provoking and hilarious. Catspaw was amazing, a giant cat chases spock and kirk down cardboard hallways and the episode ends with puppets that are meant to be aliens. Also the episode where they land on the planet of the oompah lompahs, pure comedy, the scene where they discuss reproduction manages to be both weird and funny at the same time, weird mostly due to the fact that we get long closeups of mc coy looking really stern and remaining quiet when hes the doctor and should be able to theorize about xenomorphic breeding!

In addition Kirk is a legend, at this stage hes a figure of mythological stature in Western culture imo. Kirk is the man, he kills gods like Apollo, thats how awesome he is. That episode was also amazing, Mc Coys line "I wish we didn't have to do that" sums up what a bastard Kirk is if you take the alternative perspective that the TOS crew basically just attack alien species they're meant to be meeting in peace. Despite TNG remaining my favourite star trek series for its depth TOS is way more fun and while the characters may not be subtle they are iconic for a reason, they had the hallmarks of iconic characters to begin with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Kirk is the man, he kills gods like Apollo, thats how awesome he is.

My new sig.

Watching Series 1 BluRay at the moment. The gf bought me series 2 for Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

haha thanks dude, thats cool, gotta pick them up too, they're classics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

... they are iconic for a reason....

Yep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Kirk rules. Kirk has fought about 5 people in gladiatorial style combat. I love the famous one with the alien on the planet, "this planet is rich in metals and valuable stones, yet I'd trade them all for a hand phaser, or a good solid club":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

• Advertisement
Advertisement