Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paperwork when transporting a horse to the continent

Options
  • 07-01-2010 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi, I am moving to France for a year at the end of February and am bringing my horse with me. Does anyone know what paperwork/documentation is needed as I can't find anything on the Internet. I am planning on taking him on the ferry to England, drive through, and back on the ferry to France. He has a passport and up to dat flu/tetanus vaccinations, but I'm not sure whether anything else is needed... He will be coming back to Ireland with me in a year's time so I don't intend to register him in France. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Best thing to do is contact the Dept of Agriculture. You will need a temp import/export cert for England.
    The Ferry company will also know whats needed as they would be legally obliged to check all before you board a ferry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Cloudy22

Thanks for your reply and all the information, I'll contact the Dept of Agriculture then and see what they say. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 eegeet

You need to get an Export Licence from DEFRA for horse to travel out through UK port. This will not be checked when travelling out of Ireland but will be checked when travelling out from the UK port. No other paperwork (other than passport) is required as France part of the tripartite agreement. Strictly speaking the driver/groom travelling should hold a certficate of competence as journey is exceeding 8 hours. Vehicle should also be approved for long distance transport.

Link to application for UK export licence: http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/docs/forms/awelf/EXH1.pdf

Advertisement