Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Escapists 50 Book Challenge - 2010

Options
  • 07-01-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

New to boards, kind of lurked around and decided to join based on this forum.

1. The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Second read of a great book in anticipation of the film, It's a quick read but an unforgettable one. The stark imagery and prose are some of the best i've ever read. It's made a lot of 'best of the decade' lists and it really deserves to be there. Looking forward to the film too!

Next week The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Klay, almost finished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

2. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Klay - Michael Chabon

A sprawling epic of a novel that follows the 15 year journey of two cousins and comic book writer and artist respectively, Sam Clay and Joe Kavalier. I love comics and I loved the setting and feel of the book, and the two main characters are fantastic. It sags a little at times but it's a long enough read(about 620 pages) so that's understandable. Great book!

Next time - The Strain

3. The Strain - Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan

First in a trilogy, quick read(about 400 pages and large print) and it was enjoyable but it kind of read like a novelisation of a film. Not bad but pretty average, although in saying that I'm interested in where they'll take the second and third parts.

Next time - 1984

4. 1984 - George Orwell

Fantastic book, really well constructed and puts you right there with Winston. Tough enough read for me(took me 8 days to finish it), but engrossing at the same time. It's a book that stays with you and despite being over 60 years old it still feels contemporary.

Next time - The Killer Inside Me

5. The Killer Inside Me - Jim Thompson

"Out here, you say yes ma'am and no ma'am to anything with skirts on; anything white, that is. Out here, if you catch a man with his pants down, you apologize ... even if you have to arrest him afterwards. Out here you're a man, a man and a gentleman, or you aren't anything. And God help you if you're not,"

Love this book, being inside a sociopath's head for over 200 pages probably isn't everyone's cup of tea but it's just a great read with a really compelling central character and great writing like the line from above.

Next time - Shadow of the Wind

6. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

"Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens."

A good read, took me longer to get into than anticipated as it came highly recommended from a friend who said I'd love it. It's kind of hard to describe it, it's got romance, history, mystery, supernatural and thriller elements to it. It tries alot and succeeds in most of what it tries to be. So while I liked it I felt it was missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. Although I really want to go to Barcelona now so hats off to the author.

Next time - Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

• Advertisement

7. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke

Completely forgot I was doing this thread and I've been reading a lot of comics lately so no books have been on my challenge for a while.

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”

Loved this book so much, it's a big read and it took me longer than I anticipated but it's brilliantly written and realised.

Next time - The Life of Pi

8. The Life of Pi - Yann Martel

"A tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he’s not careful."

Another book that came highly recommended which I did enjoy in parts but it never fully grabbed me. There's some interesting ideas scattered throughout but could never really get behind it.

Next time - I'm not sure yet!

Advertisement