Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 2.30 marathon? Suits you sir!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thur 8/1/15 - 2m wu; 2 x 20 mins tempo(2 min jog rec); 3m wd

Still felt a bit tight from Tuesday but loosened up enough on the warm up. Again, I needed to get this done alone on the SM park trail. Luckily the monotony was broken when a teammate joined in for 17 mins of the first rep and around 5 mins of the 2nd rep. The garmin didn't connect to the satellite so I needed to run on feel. I reckon I was running in 5 40'4-50's though the trail tonight was slippy so that would have effected pace along with a bit of a wind. Don't mind anyway as the effort was there and the longer amount of time on legs now that Im building for an Autumn marathon..

Fri 9/1/15 - rest (work and weather conspired to force me to rest!)

Sat 10/1/15 - 45 mins easy

Took it handy in light of tomorrows cross country. The legs were feeling niggles and tightness all over the shop! hope its just the legs recovering from 2 tough sessions during the week :-)

Sun 11/1/15 - 2m wu; 6k Dub Masters XC; 4m wd

Me and CD had a day out on the DART paying a visit to Raheny and St Annes park. It was pretty cold and windy out there which was making me think why on earth I bothered with this madness! But after the warmup I started to feel grand. After the warmup I took out the spikes and was freaked by a large rip on 1 of em confused.png So today I was gonna have to wear Adizero's with practically no grip! No probs as the course seemed relatively firm.

It was nearing the start time as we all toed the line; the amount of runners this year being apparently the highest in years. It deffo looked that way. This race was a really good standard, Peter Mathews, Brian Leahy, Mick Traynor and Paul Fleming all showing up, not to mention last years winner! This was a worry for me but hey, its good to race the bestwink.png The starter raised his gun, counted down and fired - we were off!! Or where we? Everyone else seemed to tear forward, I didn't move.

Basically the race started off the main loop of the course on a muddy bog of a pitch. As I lurched forward my 2 legs went from under me and I face planted straight into the mud eek.png This created a traffic jam as I wearily got up. Even then had to thread at least 10 metres to avoid slipping again. I got outta the mud patch absolutely caked in the stuff and started passing heads immediately. As I passed teammate GP, all I could say was "I fell!"; "yeah I seen that" was his response as he was right behind when it happened. So after 800m we turned onto the main lap which would be run 4 times.

I really got hemmed in on this strip, to my left was unrunnable mud for my Adizero's, in front and to my right were runners. In the distance the lead runners had opened a large gap; I wasn't gonna be reckoning in this race for 2015. I had to force the issue barging outside and then started to take more scalps. The Cru fans were wondering why I was in the bottom half of the pack. I think my mud covered singlet gave them a clue! So I kept the pace hard and even. I continued to take scalps and was in the top 10 after 1 lap.

I caught Paul Fleming here and pressed on opening a small gap on him but I knew he wouldn't be far off me, the closest I came to beating him was being 20 seconds off him in a 5k. About 100m ahead were 2 runners, 1 from Dundrum, the other Donore. I was in no mans land so tried to pace off them and keep the gap. At the moment I was feeling ok and running consistently. 2 laps were gone and 2 remained. On the 3rd lap I continued to push my pace and realized that the 2 lads were getting closer, they were no more than 20m ahead!! So I kept a level head and didn't try to catch them, instead I kept the pace even and would hopefully real em.

At the start of the final lap I caught the Dundrum lad and pushed on. Nearing the forest I was 5m behind Donore. One of the Cru lads watching roared out encouragement ordering me to catch him and push on in the forest. And that I did, but I didn't push all that far ahead. Its weird how I can reel someone in over a large gap but once caught cant shake em!! So with 1k left I was really suffering; the effort to catch those lads hitting me hard. I wasn't far ahead of Donore, both of us being driven on by both sets of support. Turning for the final 400m I was desperate, I had no sprint and was running on the grass stretch due to it being too slippy on the inside. Donore fans sreamed him on. Cru fans screamed me on. This was gonna be close.

I was fading so fast, the thought of slowing and letting him take me crossed my mind. I could hear him breathing down my neck. I was pushing my body keeping a couple of metres gap. With 100m to go something unexpected happened, Paul Fleming had been possessed by some sort of sprinting God and shot past me, Id say he ran that final 100m in less than 15 seconds! I was in shock and there was no way I could have matched that pace. My next thought was "Oh sh1t, 2 lads are gonna take me in the final 100!!!!! I took deep and ignored the pain. With the line just ahead I prayed not to lose another place. I hald on, just about.

In retrospect Im happy with that race. After a terrible start I managed to get myself back into it and have never been as close to Paul in a race, that has to a huge plus for me. I think I came 6th, maybe 7th but have no idea of time. After that it was a 4 mile warm down to keep the mileage respectable. I think a higher mileage year will bring me on and I hope to improve on today. Next year Id like a top 3 finish biggrin.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

You must be in good nick if you felt the need to give the field a bit of a head start :D

Seriously though all things considered a very good result and fair play on the recovery

ECOLII wrote: »
    You must be in good nick if you felt the need to give the field a bit of a head start :D

Seriously though all things considered a very good result and fair play on the recovery

Cheers, it was deffo a test of character getting outta the mud to run a 6k cross country. I hope someone recorded the start as Im sure it would be pretty funny to watch, I could even get some cash from "Youve been Framed"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Even if the ground was half decent, I think it would have made a huge difference having the spikes. When you're traveling at that pace, you really need the traction. Plus, you probably wouldn't have went arse over tit on the startline :P. Have you found a video of that yet, by the way?

Will you be eligible for the National Intermediates this year? Sounds like coach is eager to send a team down.

PS - I like the way you include the initials so at least I know who you are talking about.

Even if the ground was half decent, I think it would have made a huge difference having the spikes. When you're traveling at that pace, you really need the traction. Plus, you probably wouldn't have went arse over tit on the startline :P. Have you found a video of that yet, by the way?

Will you be eligible for the National Intermediates this year? Sounds like coach is eager to send a team down.

PS - I like the way you include the initials so at least I know who you are talking about.

The ground wasnt half bad, there was a nice forest trail which I could let loose. The grass on the other hand was a little slippy and muddy so I had to keep to the slightly overgrown section. I might have been a place or 2 up on the day only for that slippage, still no video of it yet!!!

Not eligible for the intermediates but I see that the National Masters is on the same day. I could do that but I wanna do a 10 mile road race which is in and around the same time.

Glad you like me initialling club mambers MK/KU :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

yeah, jogging around the course beforehand it was grand and pretty dry, but of the course the start was in the biggest muddiest puddle in the whole park!

Just seen the results, 6th place in 20 03. Was 40 secs off the winner. With that fall, I probably should only have been 20 seconds off!

Mon 12/1/15 - Rest
    Tue 13/1/15 - 77 mins run

The legs didnt feel too bad last night considering Sundays race but I was due an easy run so thats what I did. It was absolutely freezing out there as I ran down Sanymount promenade. On the way back I hit a mile around the pitches at 6.30 pace. Then on the way home hit Sub 6 for a little bit..

• Advertisement

We'd 14/1/15 - 70 mins run

I got battered and blown out of it tonight as I bashed my way down sandymount. luckily I was flying with the wind on my back going the other way!! Only thing of note was me being too eager and almost getting hit by a car..yeah, I can be dumb at times!

Thur 15/1/15 - 2m wu; 2 x 20 mins Tempo(2 min jog rec); 3m wd

The splits for this make for sh1t reading, 6 08 pace on the first rep and 5 52 for the second rep! Though in fairness the trail tonight was slippy and the wind was fierce! 1 way I was flying, the other I was shuffling into the wind vacuum. At least it wasn't raining anyways. Got the job done but my quads were a little tired from all that resistance running biggrin.png

Fri 15/1/15 - 64 mins run

Met up with JF and SC in the usual park for this one. It took a while for the legs to wake up but I was going ok after about 20 minutes. We tipped around the trail for a wile before being promoted to the pitches once it got bright enough to see properly on that side of the park! It started to rain heavy with 30 minutes remaining which can be a pain when ya forget the monkey hat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

smmoore79 wrote: »

The splits for this make for sh1t reading, 6 08 pace on the first rep and 5 52 for the second rep! Though in fairness the trail tonight was slippy and the wind was fierce! 1 way I was flying, the other I was shuffling into the wind vacuum. At least it wasn't raining anyways. Got the job done but my quads were a little tired from all that resistance running biggrin.png

I think you passed me heading up the park (I was on the path). Pace didn't look too shabby from my side of the wall...

PaulieC wrote: »
    I think you passed me heading up the park (I was on the path). Pace didn't look too shabby from my side of the wall...

Depends which direction ya saw me running!! With the wind on the back I was clippin along nicely, the other way was a nightmare :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Depends which direction ya saw me running!! With the wind on the back I was clippin along nicely, the other way was a nightmare :pac:

Going towards Sandymount from Irishtown. It was hard to know which direction the wind was blowing last night - it certainly was in more than one direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

The splits for this make for sh1t reading, 6 08 pace on the first rep and 5 52 for the second rep! Though in fairness the trail tonight was slippy and the wind was fierce! 1 way I was flying, the other I was shuffling into the wind vacuum. At least it wasn't raining anyways. Got the job done but my quads were a little tired from all that resistance running :)
    PaulieC wrote: »

Likewise. I was tipping along southbound on the path as you were moving like an arrow into the wind - or maybe it was me flying in the wind that made the relative speed look fast :)

Sat 17/1/15 - 1.6m wu; 3 x 2m hilly(2 min rec); 3.2m wd

First time hitting the hills in a while and this was tough, damn tough. The conditions weren't too bad today, nice and frosty though the ground was mulchie/soggy in stretches which slowed the progress! The 2 mile rep was to be done a bit slower than the 1 mile equivalent but still, it really drained ya on the dirty big hill(to be done twice before the recovery) biggrin.png

Once we set off JF and a new lad flew off with me behind and AC behind me. On average I was 15 seconds a mile behind em and was about 7 seconds a mile ahead of AC. At one stage I was shuffling up the hill with 2 of the Cru girls up ahead. I just about caught them and pushed on slowly into the forest. The first 2 reps were hard but the final 2 mile rep was a real grueller! Was happy to finish in 1 piece, my splits consistent enough though drifting slightly. Great to get the strength benefit of the hills all the samepacman.gif

2 miles in 11 11
    2 miles in 11 14
    2 miles in 11 19

where do you do that session

RayCun wrote: »
    where do you do that session

2 laps of this nice little tester of a route

Saw your lovely clubhouse today. Were you not tempted to get out for a race on your own turf today or maybe I missed you?

• Advertisement

Saw your lovely clubhouse today. Were you not tempted to get out for a race on your own turf today or maybe I missed you?

I'm being sensible - Masters last week and Raheny next week, so it would have been three weeks in a row of racing, I try to avoid that.
    I hate being sensible :(

Sun 18/1/15 - 100 mins long paced run(14 mins easy; 60 mins pace; 10 mins pick up; 16 mins medium)

Man we were flying today! Maybe we pushed the pace beyond what was required but just couldn't help it. I ran out to SM park and met up with JF. The 2 of us were meant to be hitting 6 50 pace before 10 mins at around 5 50. The route was the edge of SM park which is grass and trail for 1k. Normally this would be the most mundane of runs but when youre focusing on pace time flys by.

I had my overall garmin on and lap after lap it moved down, after 30 mins it was well under 6 40 pace!! So we pushed ourselves on looping round and round, 1 side being nice in easy, the other into a decent wind. By the time my 60 mins was up I averaged 6 21 pace, all on grass and trail! Now it was time for my 10 minutes pickup which I decided to run on the GAA pitches. JF did his 7 minutes after me as I started a bit earlier.

The wind had picked up down 1 side as I started to increase the pace. After looping once around the 2 pitches my glutes started to tire; but I was still tipping around at pace. This 10 minute stint wasn't too bad as I only needed to round the 2 pitches 3 and a half times. Managed to complete this at 5 35 pace! After that I headed off home and was still hitting a nice pace. Sometimes its hard to slow down after running at pace biggrin.png

Was well chuffed with this session considering all the hard stuff was done on grass and trail. A bit tired now but resting up and have a day off tomorrow. Down for Raheny next week but wish I was doing another long session again!! Splits were;

14 mins at 7 25 pace
    60 mins at 6 21 pace
    10 mins at 5 35 pace
    16 mins at 6 36 pace

Mon 19/1/15 - Rest
    Tue 20/1/15 - 2m wu; 20 x 400(30 sec rec); 2.5m wd - on grass

Glad I got this one done as the conditions were just depressing and the chest was a little flemmy. Decided to hit this session on the pitches tonight and was joined by 2 lads for the first 12 reps. We started off in flying form and the 1st was 73. The second rep going in reverse direction was a little harder as there was a very slight incline on the pitches which was worth a second or 2. I was going well enough and after 7 reps the 2 lads fell off the pace. After 10 reps we were joined by KU and 3 other lads who were starting their 12 x 400 session. This coincided with me starting to tire.

The 11 rep(their first) was ok and matched the pace I was keeping. On the return(rep 12) one of the lads went hard and we hit a 73 on the more difficult direction. It wasnt too bad but I worried that it may effect my last few reps. I needed a quick drink and grabbed some on the recovery but didn't realize the lads had already started! So I was behind them by about 30 metres and this suited me as I could keep my splits even without hitting a hard rep maybe followed by a slower rep and so on. At this stage the ground was getting slippier with the hazy rain which was a continuous feature of tonight!

Getting 14 reps done was difficult, but the thought of continuing on was even worse!! So again I mentally had to break up the session. Getting 16 done was the first target which I achieved and the splits were still even enough. Only 4 left, I knew Id get done but the splits would be difficult to predict. Managed to get to 18 and at this stage the stride was more labored. The relief of getting to 18 was palpable. 2 more and I was done. I had to flog the last 2 400's to keep the pace but I got the job done. Within a minute I felt like wretching but luckily this passed. A nice few sessions done now which will hopefully stand to me in Raheny next week where I'll at least be looking for a course pb pacman.gif

Wed 21/1/15 - 70 mins run

At last a night where it wasn't windy and it didn't rain! All I need now is some daylight when I leave the office smile.png The legs were a bit tired and tight from yesterday but not that bad. My only concern was the bit of flem on the chest that I needed to cough up at times. Just hoping it clears by Sunday or it may impact on my race..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Wed 21/1/15 - 70 mins run

At last a night where it wasn't windy and it didn't rain! All I need now is some daylight when I leave the office smile.png The legs were a bit tired and tight from yesterday but not that bad. My only concern was the bit of flem on the chest that I needed to cough up at times. Just hoping it clears by Sunday or it may impact on my race..

Start taking some Sambucol, its got stuff to fight away colds etc

Thur 22/1/15 - 2m wu; 2 x 15 mins tempo; 3m wd

Did this with 2 clubmates tonight around the pitches. The stiffness from Tuesday was still there in the first rep but went as the session progressed. After 10 mins 1 of the lads fell off the pace as me and the other lad continued on. We hit the first 15 minutes at 5 46 pace.

For the 2nd rep I took the running jacket off as I was warm at this stage. I was ticking along nicely now and the pace had increased(maybe it was the loss of the jacket pacman.gif). Halfway round the second rep the other lad started to feel the pace and lost a few metres so I was out alone for the last 7 minutes and opened a nice gap. I averaged 5 36.

A nice old session tonight though the chest was still a bit flemmy. Had to cough a bit up on the first rep and the lungs felt a little tight on the second. wont take anything for it before Sunday but will wait til Monday if still not cleared. Not the end of the world if Ive a below par race!

Fri 23/1/15 - 65 minute run

Mornings seem to be the best time for me to get this Friday run done as it means I can bring home my weekly clothes pile from work and rest the legs for the whole day. The down side of course is having to east some breakfast, have a quick shower and get on the road. All within 20 minutes of getting out of bed. It took the body at least 20 minutes to get motoring. Plus I coughed up some chest gunk again :eek: Once coughed up I was ok and had no issues.

Sat 24/1/15 - 45 mins run

kept the pace nice and slow for this. chest is still at me so think I'll cancel the 5 mile race today..

Sat 24/1/15 - 45 mins run

kept the pace nice and slow for this. chest is still at me so think I'll cancel the 5 mile race today..

That's a real pity. Hope you're back to 100% soon. You seem to be getting back to your best in any case.

• Advertisement

That's a real pity. Hope you're back to 100% soon. You seem to be getting back to your best in any case.

Sure hopefully I'll be flying for Dungarvan 10 next week(not quite JF flying mind you !!). I havent really done specific work for that distance but I'll give a lash anyways and it'll be good training either way.

Sun/Mon 25/26/15 - Rest

Tue 27/1/15 - 2m wu; 2 x 15 mins tempo(2 min jog rec); 3m wd - On grass

Met up with the lads tonight but they were doing a pyramid session, I was down for a tempo due to the race this Sunday. So I set off alone around the pitches. Felt lighter on the start, maybe the rest did me good or the fact I was wearing flats. I was clipping along nicely avoiding occasional sliotars whizzing past my head!! Maybe it was the flats, but my glutes wear working and the Achilles were feeling it. Still, I hit the first 15 at 5 29 pace - nice one!

The second rep felt a bit tougher. Maybe I was hitting a slightly fast pace beyond that of tempo country but I wasn't gonna slow at this stage. Pace was deffo more like 10 mile race pace(5 29 on grass would be around 5 19 on road). Towards the end my chest was a little tight and I was happy to finish the job. Another 5 29 average pace! I cant complain with 5 29 on both reps. So lesson learned tonight is that I'll be wearing my Adizero's on race day in favour of the flats pacman.gif The chest should be clear by Sunday which will help aswell.

So between now and Sundays 10 mile race Ill be easy running with some strides thrown in. It would be great to get a pb(currently 54 30), here's hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Savage return to form.

Savage return to form.

I need to get some pb's this year to justify a return to form :D

Wed 28/1/15 - 50 mins including 5 strides

Its definitely colder out there! Running along the grass down the canal it started to snow a little. Getting to the GAA pitches it was a pleasure to run in one direction but damn awful running the opposite way. The park was empty tonight bar a small group from DSD(they've started to venture north beyond their own territory pacman.gif) After a few cold laps I decided on hitting a few strides. Then headed home for an auld lemsip to clear the chest which is getting better by the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Good stuff going on here!

What's the aim this year? Sorry if I missed it. Any attempt on the title of your log?!

• Advertisement

Good stuff going on here!

What's the aim this year? Sorry if I missed it. Any attempt on the title of your log?!

My immediate aim is to run a good 10 miler this weekend and hopefully get a pb(go sub 54). If not, I'll still have Ballycotton. After that Im hitting the Omagh half marathon at the end of March and would love to get 1 10/1 11.

Overall this should give me a nice base at least to start marathon training for a race in either September or October. I'll do either Berlin, Frankfurt or Eindhovan. Will decide for sure in a few months for definite. So there'll be 1 attempt at 2.30 this year http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.png

Hoping that increased mileage will prevent me blowing up at mile 17 which has happened the last few times Ive ran the marathon! 2 39 is my current pb

Thur 29/1/15 - 60 mins including 5 strides

It was pretty cool running tonight, the snow under the floodlights looked class. Didn't want to venture too far so looped the pitches counting down the minutes. Was pretty cold out there, hoping the weather changes come Sunday.

Fri 30/1/15 - 50 mins run including 5 strides

Another early run into work this morning looping round SM park and out to the nature reserve. Nice to see the sun over the bay and an actual bright morning! The brent geese were back aswell from far flung countries. Headed back to SM park, did a few strides and headed to work via Beggars bush along the canal. Only annoying thing was being stopped by lights at every bridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good luck tomorrow.... But remember to hold something back for Ballycotton. All the cool kids are running in Ballycotton.

Good luck tomorrow.... But remember to hold something back for Ballycotton. All the cool kids are running in Ballycotton.

I heard only clowns run Ballycotton biggrin.png Will ya be hitting it again next month? If so whats the time youre aiming for?

• Advertisement

Sat 31/1/15 - 40 mins jog

Kept the pace at 8-9 minutes and man was that tough!!! I felt that there were niggles appearing all over my right side, from the flexor at the top to the heel being tight. I should be fine tomorrow with a decent warm up. Just gonna run on feel and see how it goes. Best case scenario I get a pb, worst case I still get a good training session in.

One thing is for sure, I need to get on top of my strength work, after the wedding in October I just stopped after hitting it 3 times a week. A sports massage or 2 wouldn't go amiss either, Ive only ever gotten 1 in my life! Need to factor these in on my overall training..

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Sat 31/1/15 - 40 mins jog

Kept the pace at 8-9 minutes and man was that tough!!! I felt that there were niggles appearing all over my right side, from the flexor at the top to the heel being tight. I should be fine tomorrow with a decent warm up. Just gonna run on feel and see how it goes. Best case scenario I get a pb, worst case I still get a good training session in.

One thing is for sure, I need to get on top of my strength work, after the wedding in October I just stopped after hitting it 3 times a week. A sports massage or 2 wouldn't go amiss either, Ive only ever gotten 1 in my life! Need to factor these in on my overall training..

Best of luck tomorrow, been reading your log for past few mths and great to see you getting back to top form. I only started getting rub outs since last Sept and they really help prevent those niggles you get from muscles getting tight over time. Doin the 10 myself but breaking 58 would be my best case scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Best of luck smmoore! Hoping the niggles vanish and it goes good for you tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck.

All that mad flaking around muddy trails is bound to pay off!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Best of luck tomorrow, been following your training and you've been putting in some great sessions recently, hope you're rewarded with a good race.

Sun 1/1/15 - 2m wu; 10m Jon Treacy; 2m wd

Sh1t happensbiggrin.png finish time 54 20, watch time 54 04 (pb but which one to take?!)

Got a lift down to Dungarvan with JF hoping for the best in this race. Managed to get there on time after a detour through the backroads. On the warm up nerves started to kick in but that's normal for me. Now it was time to toe the line. Looking upwards I noticed a drone hovering over our heads, those damn Russians are taking the p1sssmile.png

I started the first mile conservatively running on tempo pace feel. Looking at the initial overall pace I was hitting 5 12, nice one this feels ok. We were into the country on the 2nd mile and I must say I was feeling a little flat really not wanting to push the pace atall. Up ahead of me was a Leevale runner and another fella, Id say a master. I was hooked on the garmin so didn't care whether I caught them. After 2 miles my overall garmin drifted to 5 15 pace.

Mile 3 was going through the motions but id narrowed the gap with the 2 lads and was just behind them. Up ahead was a Clonliffe runner. So mile 3 through 5 me and the Leevale lad worked off each other pushing through the wind and rolling inclines and caught the Clonliffe runner and pushed on. The master dropped off. The halfway mark read 26 57. I wasn't too impressed as knew my body was not quite firing.

Mile 6 and a cramp started to inflict me. I was dragging the Leevale fella at this stage and his breathing suggested he was working hard to keep with me. But I couldn't shake him as my stomach cramped. I needed a sh1t badly but tried to put it to the back of my mind. Coming to the 7 mile marker there was no choice I bailed to the ditch for instant relief eek.png I stopped the watch at this stage and decided that would be my finish time. The Clonliffe runner and the master ran past as I shouted to them "this is embarrassing!". The master told me not to worry as he and Clonliffe passed.

Pit stop over and I tried to rally myself. 3 miles were left and the 2 lads were 30 metres ahead with the Leevale athlete further up. I kept the pace honest as I wasn't in top form and started to reel the lads in. near the 8 mile mark I reeled them and passed them once again. The Leevale runner was up ahead of me but my body was tiring bad. I just kept motoring praying for the miles to tick in. They say this is a fast course but its tough enough with the rolling inclines and the wind at times.

There was a nice downhill break just before the 9 mile mark which was a God send. My Garmin was 5 24 and dipped to 5 23 on this stretch. There was a short uphill onto the motorway and mile 9. I could see the Leevale lad up ahead but knew I would catch him, 40 metres or so was too much at this stage. My energy went on the motorway as a dirty side wind teased with my shook body. Thankfully I was now comin off the motorway onto a sheltered country road but it was a short sharp incline up onto the road.

It was a case of just motoring home at this stage. I didn't really know what time Id get. Back into Dungarvan and on another decline I found a second wind, now onto the flat the fans were thronging both sides of the road. I had no idea how far was left so didn't want to start a bursting finish. 1 left turn later and the finish was only 20 metres ahead. I crossed the line in 54 20 and stopped the watch at 54 04. A new pb!

Today was a tough day at the office but it was nice to see my Garmin say 10.03 miles at 5 23 pace in 54 04. The Leevale lad ran 54 02. Me and JF got talking the Sean Hehir who also agreed that the course was longer this year. Id like to say that I ran the 10 miles under 54 mins but cant really. HAd I not got the dodgy stomach could I have outgunned the Leevale lad? perhaps, I feel I could have or at least forced us both sub 54. Off to Lanzarote next week for an easy week of running and will get a sports massage. After that its Ballycotton hopefully(If they accepted my late entry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Great running well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done, excellent time.

if the 2 lads only made 30 metres on ya while you were in the roadside crapper, either it ran through you or they took the foot off the gas!

TbL

Well done, excellent time.

if the 2 lads only made 30 metres on ya while you were in the roadside crapper, either it ran through you or they took the foot off the gas!

TbL

It ran through me pacman.gif probably down for 20 seconds all in. Plus I had to find a portaloo after the race to finish the job!!!! Must have been that long drive down that loosened me up or breathing in that cold air biggrin.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thats an amazing time - 16 seconds to take a dump :)

No, seriously - amazing time, given the fact you weren't 100% last week. Super run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement