Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 2.30 marathon? Suits you sir!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Nice meeting you in the Sports Centre with SM afterwards, great time considering everything! I got 10.00 flat on the Garmin, good few bends on the middle section that could add on a few metres if not watching the racing line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Great time given the circumstances and at least you have Ballycotton in a month's time to set things straight.

resize.php?name=LzM3OC9EZXRlcm1pbmF0aW9uLVN0aWxsLWZpbmlzaGluZy1hZnRlci13aGVuLXNoaXQtaGFwcGVucy00YjFkODA1YjM5ZTk4LmpwZw==&w=550&h=9999&extension=.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great time given the circumstances and at least you have Ballycotton in a month's time to set things straight.

resize.php?name=LzM3OC9EZXRlcm1pbmF0aW9uLVN0aWxsLWZpbmlzaGluZy1hZnRlci13aGVuLXNoaXQtaGFwcGVucy00YjFkODA1YjM5ZTk4LmpwZw==&w=550&h=9999&extension=.jpg

Whatever about stopping for the call of nature, but running through it is another matter!!!!!! Though the way Im going, it more than likely will happen at some stage :D

66_Lad wrote: »
    Nice meeting you in the Sports Centre with SM afterwards, great time considering everything! I got 10.00 flat on the Garmin, good few bends on the middle section that could add on a few metres if not watching the racing line.

Ya performed well yourself , you must be happy with 58. Sure, I'll have another stab in Ballycotton and hopefully perform better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Me and JF got talking the Sean Hehir who also agreed that the course was longer this year.

Strong running there.
    I had 10.01 (Garmin 405) and mate also the same (Garmin 610). Last year 10.00, 2012 - 9.99

Previously I found this a great course for negative splits but introduction of the long drag / hill at 9 miles is testing and I reckon I lost 10 secs in the last mile. Managed a little dissappointing 57:21 myself
    It felt we were running into the wind more than it was with us.

Abhainn wrote: »
    Strong running there.
    I had 10.01 (Garmin 405) and mate also the same (Garmin 610). Last year 10.00, 2012 - 9.99

Previously I found this a great course for negative splits but introduction of the long drag / hill at 9 miles is testing and I reckon I lost 10 secs in the last mile. Managed a little dissappointing 57:21 myself
    It felt we were running into the wind more than it was with us.

Sure its more or less 10, if the garmin said 10.10 Id be concerned :D I found the wind tough aswell especially that main road on the last mile, it was so open there. Was so tempted to stop at that stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Solid run and nice scalp in Michael M who won the 10k in the race series couple of years ago and a 2.26 pb for the marathon also.

Solid run and nice scalp in Michael M who won the 10k in the race series couple of years ago and a 2.26 pb for the marathon also.

I was assuming he was coming back from an injury as Id say on a good day he'd be at least 52 mins. Still nice to pass him twice though :pac:

Mon 2/2/15 - Sun 8/2/15 Easy week in Lanzarote

Mon - Rest
    Tue - Deep tissue massage. Didnt really feel hard core but still nice and relaxing. Reckon I'll incorporate sports massages into my routine maybe monthly.

Wed - 71 mins trail run. We were staying in a resort and man was it good to get running out of the place into nice wilderness! Tried to follow a trail along the coast up into some rolling hills. Soon the trail went inland so i tried to veer back to the coast. Most trails leading back to the coast simply died out so I ended up back on the initial trail which ran about a quarter mile inland from the sea.

Thur - 71 mins trail run. Again headed in the same direction heading out of the resort, through a sleepy village and into the trail. Didnt bother trying to find a coastal path so stuck to my inland trail. Looking around I was surrounded by mountains with the sea in the distance; I could have been in Connemara! Amazing scenery altogether. The clock hit 37 mins as I got to a goat farm so turned back along the rocky trail.

Fri - 84 mins long trail run. This was totally unintended. I ran the same route passing some mountain bikers who probably thought I was bonkers zipping around this remote part of the island. I got to the goat farm once more but was met by a rather scary dog. Luckily he was behind a fence but was definitely trying to climb it for a taste of Irish runner with a side of sweat!!! In a panic I turned for home but for some reason unknown to me took the wrong path. The terrain didnt seem quite right and I was heading towards the end of what seemed a peninsula. So did a backtrack towards angry dog and luckily found my trail again. Got home 15 mins late to a relieved wife who can set her watch me me usually!

Sat - 61 mins trail run. Same route as by now I was rather found of those rolling hills! On the way back I went over on both ankles on numerous occasions but luckily didnt sprain them.

Sun - Rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I find the massage great for the auld muscles but you're only a young lad!

If you got the massage in a hotel, these are usually sub standard in my experience. Get a recommendation for a decent sports masseuse and you should see much better results.

TbL

I find the massage great for the auld muscles but you're only a young lad!

If you got the massage in a hotel, these are usually sub standard in my experience. Get a recommendation for a decent sports masseuse and you should see much better results.

TbL

She wasnt part of the hotel but had sports massage on her list. It was only when I got there that I realised she was a holistic therapist whatever the f"ck that is :-)

Yeah, I'll deffo source out a decent sports massage place, heard Peter Mathews(or is it Dave?!) is very good..

She wasnt part of the hotel but had sports massage on her list. It was only when I got there that I realised she was a holistic therapist whatever the f"ck that is :-)

Yeah, I'll deffo source out a decent sports massage place, heard Peter Mathews(or is it Dave?!) is very good..

Haha "holistic therapist", means you were paying a premium for the oil of rhubarb/nettle or whatever other weed she was burning while chanting as she lay her healing hands on you :)

TbL

Mon 9/2/15 - Rest

Tue 10/2/15 - Long hard session!

2m medium; 3m tempo; 1m interval; 3m tempo; 1m interval; 2m medium
    1st mile on road; 10 on grass pitches; last mile on road

This was one of those sessions where I winced at the sight of it on paper, even looking at it tired me!!! With reluctance I got kitted out and headed out the door. Usually this is a 7 30 paced warm up to the park but the plan had 6 40's so I was hitting pace from the off. I got o the park a mile into the session and completed the first 2 miles on trail before heading to the 2 GAA pitches for the faster stuff.

The first tempo felt ok. I ran within myself without pushing too hard looping round the GAA players. Though as I was hitting the 3rd tempo mile the thought of upping the pace to 5 20's suddenly hit me! This was hard, but I still had a fair bit in the tank. This 1 mile rep lead straight into the next 3 mile tempo where it took about a minute for the breathing to normalize. I pushed on.

I was beginning to tire about halfway through the second tempo. Round and round the pitches I went until I realized that after another mile of this tempo Id have to hit another mile of interval eek.png Mentally I had to calm the brain down telling myself that after 1 mile interval the session would me more or less done. 3 miles tempo was up and I upped the pace once more.

A mile interval is twice round the 2 GAA pitches. I told myself to get 1 lap done and see what was left. My hams began to tighten and the Achilles weren't feeling too clever. I tried to not over exert myself and control the breathing forgetting about the garmin pace. Got 1 lap done which was a huge boost and I cruised the final half mile of interval. I stopped briefly for a few seconds to put my running jacket back on and started my final 2 miles medium which lead all the way back home.

Really happy with tonight and the splits made for good reading. A session like that is really good for 10 miles to half marathon so hopefully it will stand to me going forward! Splits were

1 Med 6 47 (road)
    2 Med 6 24 (pitches)
    3 Tem 5 41 (pitches)
    4 Tem 5 39 (pitches)
    5 Tem 5 43 (pitches)
    6 Int 5 15 (pitches)
    7 Tem 5 37 (pitches)
    8 Tem 5 34 (pitches)
    9 Tem 5 37 (pitches)
    10 Int 5 23 (pitches)
    11 Med 6 27 (pitches)
    12 Med 6 29 (road)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

What's up next? Ballycotton? Anything else on the cards?

What's up next? Ballycotton? Anything else on the cards?

Im hoping for Ballycotton though I posted off my registration very late so praying that a race number will come in the post!!

Im also looking at the Omagh half at the end of March, maybe a shorter race here and there and build to a September/October marathon. First up is the Garda cross country this Saturday though id say the body will be tired going into that one after last nights effort!

• Advertisement

Wed 11/2/15 - 70 mins run

The legs were just damned tired tonight. Last night really took its toll but I was running generally ok and in the end the legs loosened a bit. Tipped around SM park pitches avoiding the GAA boys and the DSD girls. Was happy when the clock hit the hour mark and I could run home. Down to do a tempo tomorrow and am hoping theres a bit more in the tank.

Thur 12/2/15 - 2m wu; 2 x 20 mins tempo(2 min jog rec); 2.9m wd

Waking up yesterday I was pretty tired so when it came time to leave work and get into the session I was seriously thinking of not bothering. So I decided to run to the park and see how I felt once there. The quads had that shredded feeling as I finished the warmup but sheer bloody mindedness had me hitting tempo pace!

Running on feel I lapped the pitches(which are getting pretty overcrowded with GAA training these day!). The legs just didnt have it and looking at the garmin it read low 5 40's. One of the miles it dipped to 5 38. Normally Id hope for lower. Managed to slog out the session and got into my 3 mile warm down. I felt rather tired and weak and was not in great shape getting home.

Im down for an hour or so today but the quads are still tired and so am I(a couple of dodgy sleeps this week). So Im resting up today. Tomorrow Im meant to race the BHAA Garda 4m xc but Im seriously within 2 minds. I need a good nights sleep and hopefully I'll be back to normal tomorrow with rested legs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Thur 12/2/15 - 2m wu; 2 x 20 mins tempo(2 min jog rec); 2.9m wd

Waking up yesterday I was pretty tired so when it came time to leave work and get into the session I was seriously thinking of not bothering. So I decided to run to the park and see how I felt once there. The quads had that shredded feeling as I finished the warmup but sheer bloody mindedness had me hitting tempo pace!

Running on feel I lapped the pitches(which are getting pretty overcrowded with GAA training these day!). The legs just didnt have it and looking at the garmin it read low 5 40's. One of the miles it dipped to 5 38. Normally Id hope for lower. Managed to slog out the session and got into my 3 mile warm down. I felt rather tired and weak and was not in great shape getting home.

Im down for an hour or so today but the quads are still tired and so am I(a couple of dodgy sleeps this week). So Im resting up today. Tomorrow Im meant to race the BHAA Garda 4m xc but Im seriously within 2 minds. I need a good nights sleep and hopefully I'll be back to normal tomorrow with rested legs!!

In fairness, they are GAA pitches :D.

Was that you running clockwise in a blue t-shirt ? I was watching from the comfort of my car, everyone else was running anti-clockwise.

PaulieC wrote: »

Was that you running clockwise in a blue t-shirt ? I was watching from the comfort of my car, everyone else was running anti-clockwise.

Could have been me. I ran both directions, first half clockwise second anti clockwise. Though I did run opposite to everyone else!

PaulieC wrote: »

Did it look like you could have kept up with him Paulie, if yes, it wasn't him. :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Did it look like you could have kept up with him Paulie, if yes, it wasn't him. :)

TbL

When I watch the world 10,000km championship I think 'I can run at that speed'. I wouldn't be the best judge of pace tbh

Sat 15/2/15 - 2k wu; BHAA 4m xc; 6k wd

After taking Friday off I gave my legs a chance to be fresher today. Still when I woke up, the inside of the quads felt a little tender. So I cycled out to the magazine hills not too sure how Id get one. There was some decent looking runners out there today including Emmett Dunleavy so I knew a win was definitely out of the question! At 11.30 we all lined up ready for the off.

My strategy today was to not get too carried away and run within myself. So when everyone blasted off I ran at the normal pace Id hit there on Saturdays. I was in about 10th position after 400m and by the time we get to the first downhill I had made my way up to 5th. The course today was a variation of the Munich laps where Id have to run up the gully 3 times and the long drawl after the second downhill was more than doubled in length so that we continued to the end of the forest before turning back on a long flat stretch. After a mile I was joined by a fairly decent runner.

For the next couple of miles we were working off each other. On the flat Id overtake him but he'd reel me back in and then he'd open a gap on the uphill where I'd have to reel him back in on the downhills. So the 2 of us pushed each other and after a while I was starting to suffer. There was a bit of headwind on the flat which ensured a challenge all over the course. By now the 2 of us had opened a gap on the others behind and up ahead the 4th runner was about 100m.

With about a kilometer left the other fella upped the pace and started to pull away. I was hurting and didn't have it in me to keep with him. In the final 500m he absolutely blasted off an caught the 4th placed fella! It was unreal, I haven't seen a kick like that in a long time. So with no one behind and no chance of catching the 2 in front I cruised home in 6th place.

In the end my quads didn't give me an issue today and I ran the 4 miles in 22 05(though the BHAA said 22 09). Last year I ran in the same race in 23 01 although conditions were worse that year. Still Its almost a minute of improvement and Id like to think 30 of those seconds are natural progression with the rest being conditions related smile.png Great running by KU today who really took a jump in fitness and finished in 22 39 in 7th! I'll have to watch my back biggrin.png

Sun 15/2/15 - Nothing (too much beer on Saturday mad.png)
    Mon 16/2/15 - Off

Tue 17/2/15 - 2m wu; 2x20 mins tempo(2 min jog rec); 3m wd

This was one of the most annoying runs Ive ever been on. It was bad enough that I was still tired from Saturdays race/beering, then to top things off on the end of the first rep some little urchins decide to play ball at the side of the pitches. As soon as I came near them theyd take aim with the ball and throw a few insults my way. Unfortunately I was stupid enough to call their ringleader a little pr1ck. This didn't go down well, which resulted with them using me for aiming practice every time Id loop round the pitch towards them. A few insults thrown at me and my pr1ck response ensured that this would continue so I decided that the trail would be a better option. So finished my session there.

All in all I found tonight tough, the paces were 5 49 and 5 40 which were nothing spectacular. I guess alcohol and training don't mix, these days it takes days for me to recover!!! And theres no reasoning with little bolloxes mad.png As I left I noticed KU and R+ looping past the urchins, hope they didn't get the same annoying sh1t I got!!

Wed 18/2/15 - 21 minutes - Not my finest hour. Just hadnt got it in me. A bad day to be written off!

Thur 19/2/15 - 72 minutes run. Headed out after work and was amazed that it was still bright. I even had time to make it to the Nature reserve! Though by that time it was getting difficult to see but was cool to be running there in a surreal sort of way.

Fri 20/2/15 - 67 mins run. Up at 7 and out the door by 7.30, thats my motto :D My route took me through Sandymount and out past the nature reserve(again!) I kept going past the powerstation as far as Southwall where I was met by the sight of a massive ferry passing really close to the actual wall! With the sun shining and no wind, this made for a wonderful sight. After that it was time to turn and head work bound.

Sat 21/2/15 - 2m wu; 4m tempo; 1m interval; 4m tempo; 2m wd(all on grass)

Cycled into the wind to get to the Acres for this session. A few beers were drank the night before so this was gonna be tough. All the other lads were hitting the hills and this tempted me but I needed to see the big picture and that these marathon style sessions would stand to me in Autumn. I set off for my 2 mile warm up.

The first tempo was manageable. The conditions though were hard and would inevitably play a part further along the session. 1 side was great with the wind on the back, the opposite side was a wind tunnel nearly reducing me to a jog! To make matters worse the 2 widths were challenging with strong side winds which upset stride etc. So I was tiring by the time 4 miles were up. Now it was time for the faster rep. I grimaced this whole mile and by the time I finished I decided on a minute break. This was gonna be a serious session.

I took off for the second half doing 4 miles tempo. The wind seemed to get stronger and my glutes started to burn with the wind into my face. I stopped a mile into it for about 20 seconds. I got going again and a half a mile later stopped for another 20 seconds. I almost gave up but convinced myself if I could reach the long straight with the wind on my back I could get some respite. So I slugged it out. Briefly I looked at my garmin and it read 6.30, once I turned with the wind on my back it said 5 30's!!!

So far Id stopped 3 times. Now I was nearing the next 1 mile interval and the thought of this horrified me eek.png I upped the pace and bust myself to a half a mile before taking another 30 second break. I was done. But something in my head said do a bit more so I got another 0.25 mile at interval pace. I stopped again and decided it was time for the warm down miles. Out of guilt I ran until the garmin read 14.45 miles and at a slower pace than the warm up due to running with the lads for this.

That was the toughest session I've done in a long time. The tapas and few beers the night before may have played a part but the wind out there today would have ground me down even in my peak. Regardless of stopping 5 times Im happy with this session and that I got the miles done. This really was a strength session!!! Splits were okish too..

6 40; 6 28; 5 49; 5 43; 5 44; 5 52; 5 20; 5 51; 5 41; 5 48; 6 04; 5 59(0.25 miles of this was at warm down pace); 7 19; 7 21; 0.45m at 6 57

Sun 22/2/15 - 65 mins run; 15 mins at pace; 7 x 10 secs hill strides; 12 mins run

Me and JF had to get this done with a slight hangover. The annual club dinner was the night before and beers were downed!! Again the wind was crap which effected performance. Today I was running with my new toys, the Asics DS racers. Have to say I really like them, theyre light with some decent arch support. Maybe Ive found my ideal shoe biggrin.pngWe both headed to Southwall with the wind on our backs but on the return it was into a strong wind. I was actually enjoying this as I bashed my way towards SM park. JF was suffering a little. On the pace section I started to tire and had to hang onto JF which I just about did. This lead us to the hill at the nature reserve so we worked on some hill strides which I thoroughly enjoyed. A nice little strength session within a long run. After that it was time to run home. I did feel a bit crap at this stage and was happy to get home. So all in all a decent weekend of running and over 60 miles for the week. Don't know if Ive ever hit mileage this high but I don't feel that bad and I can rest tomorrow.

65 mins at 6 46
    15 mins at 5 48
    7 hill strides for 10 secs
    12 mins at 6 58

Mon 23/2/15 - rest
    Tue 24/2/15 - 1.5m wu; 6 x 800(90 sec rec); 2.5m wd

Tonight was tough. Got out of work late and had to rush to the lads in SM park. Got there just in time and jumped in. The pitches were very slippy in numerous parts and I found out the hard way that my new asics have zero grip! On the first long straight Id lose a metre but close it again on the firmer part, this would happen again near the end of the 800m lap. After 3 reps I was tired. I just about managed to keep with the lads on the 4th lap but I knew my goose was cooked as the glutes were burning. On the 5th I dropped a few metres. On the final rep I dropped a good 10-15 metres. My garmin didnt feel like working tonight either but the reps were between 2 31 and 2 35. KU hit around 2 30 on the last rep so id expect mine was 2 35.

Not a great session from a personal point of view. I was just tired so hope to rest and feel better for tomorrow easy run..

Wed 25/2/15 - 38 mins easy

Got outta work late tonight so reduced my run from 70 to 38. Kept the pace at a comfortable level and I have to say it loosened me up nicely as my hips were tight before. Might catch up by doing the remaining 32 minutes tomorrow AM and then my session in the evening..

Thur 26/2/15 - AM - 31 min catch up run

Got the rest of yesterdays run done this morning. Again I ran by feel without pushing myself to a certain pace. Felt nice until the hazy rain decided to make an appearance!

Thur 26/2/15 - 2m wu; 3 x 15 mins tempo(90 sec rec); 2m wd

The sheer size of this session scared me a little. And after feeling tiredness for most of the week I thought this would be a killer. Headed out a little early to SM park pitches, this time with spikes and got started. I purposely didnt look at the garmin on the first rep and ran as comfortable as I could. I dont think it had quite caught a satellite so it read funny but I reckon 5 40's.

On the second rep i took a layer off and was tipping round in t shirt/shorts. The pace was a little quicker and I hit 5 34 as my hips loosened. The lads had come down by now so me and R+ tipped around on my last and his first rep. At this stage I was loosened up and felt a bit better. The overall pace was now 5 29, happy days! I reckon the spikes helped tonight to keep the pace down as it was still a bit slippy in part. So a confidence booster of a session after Tuesdays hardship.

Fri 27/2/14 - 66 mins easy

Headed out at 7.30 this moring and bagan at a whopping 8 50 pace! The body was stiff and it took a while for my breakfast to settle and start producing energy. Getting to Sandymount I was greeted by an intense sun over the bay which was class. Then I was greeted by teamate CD which helped the time fly by as we headed down the promenade. Turned and headed to work via SM park, Beggars bush and the canal, turning onto Leeson street. Pace at this stage was low 7's occasionally dipping under. Thank God I got that done as it give me the full day to recover!!

Sat 28/2/14 - 1.6m wu; 6 x 1 mile hilly(90 sec rec); 3.2m wd

Ran well enough today, much better than expected. The body was tired from a hard 7 days training(esp last Saturday, think I bonked here!). Mentally beforehand I didn't think Id keep with the lads for the whole thing and maybe the splits might slip.

True enough, I did have to flog myself hard on the last 3 reps and the legs/hips were damn tired but I kept even splits and good times on the Munich. And all with a bit of a head wind on the final straight! Splits were;

5 24
    5 18
    5 20
    5 21
    5 21
    5 21

• Advertisement

Sun 29/2/15 - 65 mins medium, 15 mins tempo, 7 x 10 sec hill strides; 13 mins medium (mostly grass and mud with some road)

The weather was a shocker for this one. Me and JF were battered about the place by a strong bout of hail stones! This then turned to snow. It was bad enough doing a tough session after having a week full of quality training, but with the wind and rain we found it difficult to get to the pace which we aimed for.

After an hour I was starting to feel it, luckily JF had some gels so I took one and I reckon it got me through the tempo phase. I got trough the tempo and did the hill strides at Irishtown nature reserve. Its amazing how beforehand I wasn't feeling great, but the minute I hit the hill strides I feel great! After these, I ran a few miles home weaving in and out of the rugby fans who had taken over the area. Splits were;

66 mins at 6 59
    15 mins at 5 51
    7 hills strides(10 secs each)
    13 mins at 6 37

Mon 2/3/15 rest
    Tue 3/3/15 rest
    Wed 4/3/15 - 57 mins easy

Tonight was a weird run; at first I thought that I might have a chest infection. This was soon followed by tingling in the legs, almost flu like! I was going paranoid as I headed out past the power station pacman.gif Maybe it was just the 2 days rest tat had me like that. A sweet run all the same and Im loving the brighter evenings!

This week is gonna be full of easy runs and rest culminating in the Ballycotton 10 miler. Hopefully Im fully rested by then and can give it a good lash in calm race conditions. Sub 54 would be nice, really nice; no point lying wink.png

Thurs 5/3/15 - 2m wu; 2 x 10 mins tempo; 2m wd

@"! Was half tempted to jack in the run but Id be kicking myself if that happened, especially with Ballycotton on the horizon. So I headed out along the canal and on to the GAA pitches.

For the first rep I stated conservatively without pushing too hard. My overall pace went down from 5 45 and ended up at 5 35. Not bad atall. Now for the next rep. I ran on feel again but the pace was a lot faster. I ended up averaging 5 18! On grass. This gave me a real confidence boost. If I can do 5 back to back on Sunday I'll be laughinbiggrin.png

On another note, Ive heard that the weather for this Sunday is meant to be pretty bad with serious wind. I guess Ill need to run on feel if this is the case.

As long as they get their prediction correct of the transition from a near gale force wind to a gentle breeze at midday on Sunday, we should be alright :P

I'm pretty sure they have this weather stuff down to an exact science :rolleyes:

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Ballycotton_Bay/long.html

As long as they get their prediction correct of the transition from a near gale force wind to a gentle breeze at midday on Sunday, we should be alright :P

I'm pretty sure they have this weather stuff down to an exact science :rolleyes:

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Ballycotton_Bay/long.html

Id trust a Norwegian prediction a lot quicker than a Met Eireann one! It could end up a battle of survival out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Time for 'Operation Crusaders Human Shield'. If you folks could form an orderly defensive position at around 5:30/mile, and then just separate and fall-back as we hit the hill to the finish line, I'd be mighty appreciative. It's what a real crusader would do. :)

Time for 'Operation Crusaders Human Shield'. If you folks could form an orderly defensive position at around 5:30/mile, and then just separate and fall-back as we hit the hill to the finish line, I'd be mighty appreciative. It's what a real crusader would do. :)

Nah, a real Crusader would mercilessly kill anyone who stood in his way in order to establish control over an area where some dude was crucified over 2 millennia ago.

Represent :cool:

To be honest, I don't think I'd give you much shelter but if I could run 5.30 miles up to a mile to go, i'd more than happily oblige :)

If we happen to be running through a storm, itl be Operation "Bale into Ballymalloo" for some tea and scones!

Fri 6/3/15 - 40 mins run

Left the office at 8 this evening in a bit of a daze. Walking home I was kicking myself that Id miss my run today and the fact that I didn't want to run tomorrow so as to rest the legs. Popped into the Thai, brought some noodles home a stuffed my face! I was ready to veg until the missus suggested that I go for a little run. This was the kick in the arse for me so I kitted up and headed out the door.

My dimly lit route took me out to Donnybrook and into UCD to take a quick look at the remains of the old track. It looks like a proper cark park now sadly. The clock hit 20 minutes which told me it was time to turn and retrace my steps. So all in all a relief that I got a run in today and I can rest proper tomorrow. Plus all of tonight was on path/road so at least my legs will have a flavor of Sundays pounding biggrin.png

• Advertisement

Sun 8/3/15 - 2m wu; Ballycotton 10 miles; 2m wd

Pre race - On Saturday me and the other half drove down to Cork visiting a few friends in the city and Monkstown. So a lot of sitting in the car. We got to Ballycotton at 6 and checked into the hotel and I must say it was top notch! The room was lovely and warm with an amazing sea view. We headed out for dinner where I lost the run of myself and ordered the sea food chowder followed by steak and mash. Surely the protein would serve me well?! The next morning I got up had some porridge followed by a near od of bananas pacman.gif But the bowels weren't moving... thoughts of Dungarvan swirled round my head, oh sh1tbiggrin.png

The race- Me, KU and a couple of other Cru lads did our warm up and toed the line. The weather was lovely, nice and sunny but a bit windy. Once we were off I kept the pace manageable as we headed downhill. The first mile flew in as I was fresh and heading downwards.

Mile 2 and now I was in a group of 6 including Brian Leahy of Raheny. At this early stage I felt heavy but not a problem just yet. We pushed each other for the next mile.

Mile 3 and I was beginning to get mild stomach cramps. It was annoying but didn't effect my pace. My first thought was "damned steak!!!" We pushed on into mile 4 and I was starting to work at this early stage. My thoughts were that I wasn't gonna hit my sub 54. We were still running into a head wind. Doing the maths I knew overall pace of 5 23 would get me 54 mins and anything under would be where I wanted to be.

I was struggling to keep with the group and we neared the 5th mile. Into the wind my overall pace slipped to 5 21. I was parched at the water station and gulped down half the bottle, before our group turned. 5 21 pace didn't leave much room especially considering the last 1.5 miles are uphill.Hanging on for dear life I had convinced myself that it would be 54 odd. I kept going.

Luckily now the wind was on our backs as we headed back to Ballycotton. The stomach was still sore but it was my energy levels that I was worried about. I hit the 10k mark in 33 21 and the garmin had lowered to 5 18 overall pace. The wind on the backs and a few small downhills had bought me some time to play with.

7 miles in and Brian Leahy injected some pace. None of us could keep with him and by 7.5 miles he started to pull away. Then the memory of Dungarvan krept in and at least I didn't have a Paula moment pacman.gif Getting to the 8th mile our group had spread but I was a victim to the Garmin and didn't care. 8.5 miles in and my garmin slipped to 5 20.

Now the race really started. Before the 9 mile mark the hill that ruins many a pb began. The moment I turned my heart palpitated and this scared the ****s outs of me!!! My legs had gone to jelly and heres my heart trying to jump outta my chest eek.png I slowed a tad and some of the group opened up on me. I just kept moving up this dirty steep mother.

I could see the church up ahead and new that the course levels a bit here. So I sucked it up and moved upwards, my heart having calmed down. Managing to get to the top of the hill I regroup and pushed again. Looking at the Garmin it slipped to 5 21. Back on flat with a km to go I still had time to play with. My legs started to motor again. I a world of pain I counted down the markers 800,600,400. With the finish in sight I noticed it said 53 35 and I knew at this stage that it was mission accomplished. I crossed the line and crumpled over in a time of 53 49. A new pb and first time going sub 54 biggrin.png

It felt great to bag this pb, especially considering I thought it was gone at the halfway point. I guess the wind of the first half slowed the pace a bit before I bagged some time from miles 5-8. After that it was just keep going. After the race I learned that steaks take 24 hours at least to digest so I'll be back on pasta for my next race biggrin.png

Garmin - 10.07 miles in 53 49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Superb time.
    Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭paddybarry

Savage time. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Never mind the steak, seafood chowder the night before a race??! :eek:

Great running, well done.

Well done today SMM, and congrats on the PB.

For your next race though I'll lend you a set of my auld man diapers :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Super running. Nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Spotted your name on the 1st page of the Ballycotton results....some going, always said you were a natural! Keep it up man....

pconn062 wrote: »
    Never mind the steak, seafood chowder the night before a race??! :eek:

Great running, well done.

Yeah, I forgot that I was racing the next day in the comfy surroundings of Pier 26 restaurant so i splurged a little!! Luckily I didnt order dessert http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/pacman.gif

Lesson learnt anyway, thats what runnings all about, learning as you go along!

Well done today SMM, and congrats on the PB.

For your next race though I'll lend you a set of my auld man diapers :)

TbL

Luckily I didnt need em this time, but I heard theyre pretty expensive compared to baby diapers http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great running. Well done on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

great time, well done

• Advertisement
Advertisement