Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 2.30 marathon? Suits you sir!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thur 18/6/15 - 5 miles run
    Fri 19/6/15 - 20 miles(3 at 6.50, 4 at 5.30; 7 at 6.50, 2 at 5.30, 2 min jog, 2 at 5.30, 2 at 6.50)
    Sat 20/6/15 - 6 miles run
    Sun 21/6/15 - off
    Mon 22/6/15 - 9 miles run

I wasnt sure how much running id get under the belt over the last few days as it was my brothers stag weekend. And being the best man I needed to be seen to be drinking :D The plan was to leave Dublin at 1 on Friday for Carrick, so knowing tat I mightnt be in great condition for a Saturday session I decided for an early start on Friday morning and headed out to SM park at 9.

Within a few miles I knew that the legs were still a bit tired from Tuesdays hardcore speed session but for now I was hitting the required splits. After 3 miles I picked up the pace for 5 30ish pace. Again I ran on 1/3 pavement, 2 /3's pitch. They were tough enough but my tired hips loosened and eventually I got to the next stage - 7 miles at 6 50 pace. So I looped the pitches a few times before running along the sea edge to the nature reserve; I did this twice before it was time for the next pick up.

Getting back to SM park I headed back to where I hid the water. Upon getting there I was aghast at the site of my bottle with the lid open and not a drop in it :( Id stupidly left the thing untightened and with 6 miles to go this was gonna be tough, esp that it was quite warm and windy. So I had no choice to hit the next set of 5 30 pace miles.

I ran strong and controlled for the 1st mie but realised this was too slow after a 5 41 split, so I upped it for the 2nd. I was really thirsty and by the time I was on the 3rd mile I was parched. My 3rd mile was 5 18 due to hitting an optimal amount of path, but the 4th dropped to 5 39 because of more grass being run on. I managed to finish the session in a quite thirsty state and headed home sticking my head under the tap for a while. After that it was a boozy weekend!!

Got up Saturday morning feeling worse for ware but got out for a sneaky 6 miler while everyone was still comatosed. Not a great run as my route took me round a boggy GAA pitch and through a dull housing estate. A 2nd night beering meant Sunday was a write off. Today was meant to be a day off but I felt guilty from yesterday so got a nice 9 miles in.

Overall really happy with the week of training considering. I was only 5 slow miles short of my target, which is a lot better than missing a key session :rolleyes: For the rest of the week I'll easy run with some strides as Ive decided to race the 5 miler this Saturday. Its a hilly enough course so not sure if a pb is possible but I'll give it a bash. Endurance should be fine but speed may be an issue due to marathon specific training. Splits from Saturday were;

7 12; 6 45; 6 27
    5 28; 5 36; 5 31;5 26
    6 21; 6 32; 6 28; 6 51; 6 39; 6 46; 6 37
    5 41; 5 29; 5 18; 5 39;
    6 51; 6 32

Tue 23/6/15 - 51 mins run including 5 strides

Met up with the club and tipped around at a handy enough pace. Unbelievable weather for a handy run! After that I threw a few strides in to keep some speed in the legs.

Sat 27/6/15 - 1m wu; race series 5 miler; 1m wd

Spent the last few days either off or handy running. Work was crap the last few days and woke up groggy; was so tempted to stay in bed. But the missus was up pottering around so I reluctantly got up and the 2 of us headed to the park. Getting there, the park looked great with the sun belting down. Great for relaxing but not so great for racing! So did my warm up and got ready lining up at the start. I noticed a Raheny runner I usually pace off so thought that would be of help as hes beaten me the last few times.

The race started well enough and I felt strong with the lead elites just ahead. Rounding the bend to Ashtown gate we were running into a slight wind and intense heat in the face. Man it was a hot one!! So far so good and I hit the 1st mile in 4 52!! Around now I started to tire a little but was still moving well as me and R+ headed down into the Kyber road. Mile 2 was hit in 5 05. The next mile was tough as we headed up the Kyber road. I powered up the first hill and caught a lad at the top of the hill.

Mile 3 passed in 5 12. Around here a Raheny runner joined us and I thought it was yer man that I might pace off. So the 3 of us pushed it. I really started to tire now with the pace and heat shattering me. Near the Furry Glen we hit another hill which is long enough. My pace slipped on this mile to 5 24. With 1 mile left the 2 lads opened a gap on me as I struggled on. I considered jogging the last stretch it was that bad :eek:

I went through the motions of 1 foot in front of the other for the last mile but my pace had completely slipped. I was in no mans land with 2 lads a chunk ahead and no one behind me now. I think the lack of races and pace of 5 miles compared to marathon training reduced me to a slog. With 400m to go I upped the pace and slogged myself home to a decent finish.

My position was 11th today in 26 14. Happy enough as most people were a good bit slower because of the heat but 40 secs to 1 minute. I was faster last year on the same course but conditions today were tough. Compared to the lads Im in and around, I was 30 and 40 secs ahead so theres an improvement in there somewhere!!

Just stuck my garmin into garmin connect and I hit 5k in 15 42 - can I claim that as a pb?!?!?

Sun 28/6/15 - 56 mins easy

Just a leg loosener yesterday evening around the bay. Great weather when ya dont have to push the pace!! Body still a bit sore from yesterdays hills n heat but should be fine otherwise..

Mon 29/6/15 - Rest
    Tue 30/6/15 - 2m wu; 2m at 5 45; 8 at 5 30; 2m wd =14 miles total

Man tonight was a tough session! Between last Saturday being still in the legs and the intense heat this evening, tonight was always gonna be a struggle. I went for the option of 2/3's path, 1/3 grass for this. Started off well enough on the 2 5-45's. Even the first few 5-30 miles were ok. But on the 4th mile I was soaked with sweat and absolutely parching, so I decided on a 2 minute break after 4 miles just to rehydrate.

I got going again and the next mile was ok. The following 2 were tough, luckily some of the Cru including KU were encouraging me on as I looped round. Plus the boot camp decided to occupy part of my route which meant more grass to run on so the pace was slightly slower going to 5 34 and 5 35.

On the last mile I ran out to the nature reserve into a headwind. But it was on my back coming back. My body had now had enough but I kept going until the garmin beaped 12 miles. The last mile was 5 41 and the only 1 that was a bit off. I could have pushed it to get 5 30 but decided not to. I don't mind as the heat played a big part tonight. Anway its job done again pacman.gif Splits were

6 51, 6 25
    5 35, 5 34
    5 21, 5 29, 5 25, 5 34 (2 mins for water)
    5 26, 5 34, 5 35, 5 41
    7 20(tippin round with lads!), 6 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I swear to God, I haven't seen you standing still in about a year. Every time I see you, you're bloody running laps of Sean Moore Park. You feckin marathoners. Got to learn to drag your warm up out to about half an hour, stick two or three minutes recovery between each rep and get a good long break half way through the session just to mitigate against any potential tiredness towards the end of the session. You make this running lark look hard :)

Nice session this evening Moorsey. Its tough going running those long sessions when it is hot and it was a windy enough one this evening as well. You were tearing it around.

I swear to God, I haven't seen you standing still in about a year. Every time I see you, you're bloody running laps of Sean Moore Park. You feckin marathoners. Got to learn to drag your warm up out to about half an hour, stick two or three minutes recovery between each rep and get a good long break half way through the session just to mitigate against any potential tiredness towards the end of the session. You make this running lark look hard :)

Nice session this evening Moorsey. Its tough going running those long sessions when it is hot and it was a windy enough one this evening as well. You were tearing it around.

I definitely had a contorted face in the second half of that session! Needed to take a 2 minute break halfway just to take on some water. Unreal heat out there and yeah, there was a wind blustering. Im hoping when the heat dies down that I'll be finishing these sessions stronger. Felt much better finishing them when it was cooler. Though I think I was still tired from Saturday. A nice 3 days handy running now til Saturday! Whats your next Target anyways? I see your still doing the speedy stuff!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    I definitely had a contorted face in the second half of that session! Needed to take a 2 minute break halfway just to take on some water. Unreal heat out there and yeah, there was a wind blustering. Im hoping when the heat dies down that I'll be finishing these sessions stronger. Felt much better finishing them when it was cooler. Though I think I was still tired from Saturday. A nice 3 days handy running now til Saturday! Whats your next Target anyways? I see your still doing the speedy stuff!

Relatively speedy I guess :rolleyes:. Next up is the 1500 in the GV Ryan meet on Saturday week. Season was meant to culminax in the National T&F Championships but father's 80th is on the same day so looking unlikely I'll be able to make it unless the 1500 heats are on early. Here's hoping.

Has Coach Mc Gov got any more races planned for you ahead of Oslo?

Relatively speedy I guess :rolleyes:. Next up is the 1500 in the GV Ryan meet on Saturday week. Season was meant to culminax in the National T&F Championships but father's 80th is on the same day so looking unlikely I'll be able to make it unless the 1500 heats are on early. Here's hoping.

Has Coach Mc Gov got any more races planned for you ahead of Oslo?

Ya looked a strange shade of red when I saw ya tonight , must have been a tough session pacman.gif Im not sure what the craic is with races coming up. Maybe I'll hit the 10 miler or even the half. Though the half is only a month out. Wouldn't mind hitting Fingal for a 10k pb stab..

• Advertisement

Wed 1/7/15 - 5 miles easy
    Thur 2/7/15 - 5 miles easy

Wednesday was a tiring session, with dehydration kicking in for the last 2 miles. Today wasn't as bad though my legs were still a bit jaded from Tuesday. Another handy one tomorrow should have me rested enough for 22 miles this Saturday.....eek.pngpacman.gif

Fri 3/7/15 - nothing due to work
    Sat 4/7/15 - 22 miles with 2 at tempo
    Sun 5/7/15 - 11 miles

Go the big session done with JF. Was a long one as we looped round and round SM park zoning out at times. The heat was the real killer and we only had 1 small bottle of water between us! At mile 9 I took a gel to keep the energy levels up. Mile after mile it got tougher with the heat and also a headwind going 1 direction hitting us each time. When it was time to do the tempo I took off and got a decent first mile, but I must have spaced out as the second mile was a bit slower. After 22 miles we legged it to the C Na G clubhouse and stuck the heads under the outdoor tap guzzling as much water as we could!!

Today I loosened the tired legs; the only thing of note was some guy tried to race me near the power station. He was on road and I was on the trail. I upped the pace a little to stay in contact. The trail veers away from the road at 1 bit and I noticed him look behind and then slow down after not seeing me. I sucker punched him when the trail and road merge and I came out about 5 metres ahead and turned that to 20 metres by the time I got to the Southwall; Im a righ t b0ll0x :D

Overall another decent week of training and only 4 miles short of target which is good considering its the quarterly madness at work. Last quarter I missed 4 weeks!!! Splits yesterday were

7 07
    6 50
    6 29
    6 27
    6 30
    6 26
    6 26
    6 23
    6 32
    6 33
    6 26
    6 34
    6 43 up the hill of nature reserve
    6 32
    6 32
    6 23
    6 33
    6 28
    5 40 tempo
    5 47 tempo
    7 03
    6 34

Mon 8/7/15 - rest
    Tue 8/7/15 - 5 miles run
    Wed 9/7/15 - Marathon tempo session

2m wu; 5m at 5 30; 5 min jog; 4m at 5 30; 4 min jog; 3m at 5 30; 3 min jog; 1m at 5 30; 2m wd = 18 miles total

Done on 60% path, 40% grass. Horrible headwind on grass section!

Last night was the toughest session I have done to date. Was meant to do this and another hard session on Tue/Sat but switched to Wed/Sun just for an extra day rest to fully recover from last Sat and Sun. Got to SM park where luckly it wasnt sunny but there was a decent wind gusting down 1 side. After the warm up ended I upped the pace. I took a few miles to get into this session and I was counting down the first 5 mile stage! So far it was manageable and my splits for the first rep were all under 5 30. Happy days but I was starting to tire.

The next 4 mile stint was damn tough. I got the first mile under 5 30 but the rest drifted to the 5 40's. It kinda coincides with the wind kicking up down 1 side where I was reduced to a fast jog!! SO the strategy was to slow slightly on this stretch to not overwork and up the pace on the path going the other way. This path is covered by trees so the wind on the back wasnt really felt. Mentally I knew if I could finish this then the session would be decent no matter.

On the 4 minute jog after the 4 miles I needed to leg it to the bushes(I wont go into more detail on this :eek:) I was sluggish after my forced 1 minute extra break but now it was time to up the pace for 3 miles. I flogged the body round and round. Id say the couple havin a romantic snog on the pitches got dizzy with me passing round and round and round....! Plus now the GAA boys were posturing a bit and sending rogue sliotars my way. I was running on fumes now. I tried to run comfortable and run on feel but every time I ran into the wind it sapped me. The energy was fading with this gale.

Luckily I had 1 gel after the 5 mile stint which probably helped in getting me through. At last I reached the 3 min jog recovery and tried as best as I could to compose myself. For the last mile I headed out along the nature reserve path into a bit of a wind for 0.7 miles. I was goosed but managed to get it done in the 5 30's. The 2 mile warm down was a killer and I considered walking home. But 1 foot in front of the other and I was home with the session fully in the bag, thank f*ck!

Lesson learned tonight was that I did overcompensate for the wind. Maybe I should have hit the first few in the 5 40's aswell. Also this session was a BIG step up from last week. I would have expected a similar session over 15 miles but over 18 was a damn grueller. Anyways its job done and Im walking around now normally so should be recovered fully in the next day or 2.. Splits were..

5 24; 5 28; 5 24; 5 30; 5 24
    5 29; 5 43; 5 41; 5 45
    5 43; 5 44; 5 49
    5 39

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Well done! That session was a major up from last week and you've broken it in nicely.
    Plus now the GAA boys were posturing a bit and sending rogue sliotars my way.

You shouldn't have taken that pitstop on the penalty spot

demfad wrote: »
    Well done! That session was a major up from last week and you've broken it in nicely.

You shouldn't have taken that pitstop on the penalty spot

The pitch needed some fertilizer :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I would just offer a word of caution SM (if you don't mind!), be careful not to be digging into the well too deep, too often. I realise that tough sessions are needed for a marathon but personally I would verge on the side of caution when it came to pace. You ran three of the first 5 miles at marathon pace 6 seconds a mile too fast, I think adds up and increases the risk of burnout to be doing that this far out from your goal race. I'm really not trying to have a go at you or your coach, you are a much better runner than me and I'm sure your coach knows what he is doing but just something I would keep in mind. I would be holding back from completely frying myself in sessions this far out. Good luck with the training.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    I would just offer a word of caution SM (if you don't mind!), be careful not to be digging into the well too deep, too often. I realise that tough sessions are needed for a marathon but personally I would verge on the side of caution when it came to pace. You ran three of the first 5 miles at marathon pace 6 seconds a mile too fast, I think adds up and increases the risk of burnout to be doing that this far out from your goal race. I'm really not trying to have a go at you or your coach, you are a much better runner than me and I'm sure your coach knows what he is doing but just something I would keep in mind. I would be holding back from completely frying myself in sessions this far out. Good luck with the training.

I wish that was MP plus 5 seconds! Last night was tempo which is meant to be around 12-15 seconds quicker than MP(5 43). That was the first session where I felt I pushed it too hard; previously the other sessions were tough but I felt ok afterwards. Last night I was a bit shook for a few hours. I think it was more that the wind was so strong it just tired the body out and also me not adjusting the time back a few seconds.

I guess that although I'm running a number of years, Im still learning by trial and error. Last night was one of those lessons learnt the hard way. Next big run is Sunday with a good 12m at MP(5 45) and 2 at tempo(5 30); 22 miles total. So hopefully I'll run intelligently ie adjusting pace for wind/sun etc as so far I havent really been doing that!

Thur 9/7/15 - 9-10 miles

Not sure of distance but ran for 70 minutes. Body felt tired from yesterdays effort and to top things off, a burrito I had for lunch was not settling well. So I kept the pace easy begrudgingly putting 1 foot in front of the other. Was gonna call it quits after 5 miles but stubbornness kept me going. Happy that I got the mileage in, another 10 miles tomorrow so should be fresher again..

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Thur 9/7/15 - 9-10 miles

Not sure of distance but ran for 70 minutes. Body felt tired from yesterdays effort and to top things off, a burrito I had for lunch was not settling well. So I kept the pace easy begrudgingly putting 1 foot in front of the other. Was gonna call it quits after 5 miles but stubbornness kept me going. Happy that I got the mileage in, another 10 miles tomorrow so should be fresher again..

I love burritos but they are bastards to digest before a run. You're going well. Any races on the horizon?

I love burritos but they are bastards to digest before a run. You're going well. Any races on the horizon?

Yeah, they're great until its time to run!! Have Oslo on September 19th so need to get the finger out and do a race or 2 before then. A half would be good but I cant do Rock n Roll as will be away so may have to settle with the race series 10 miler..

Sports massage now booked for next Wednesday with Peter Mathews. I guess my body has been crying out for 1!! Hopefully it loosens the left side a bit and also the right heal at the back has been tight a good while. I might try and do this every easy week and see if it limbers me up nicely

• Advertisement

Sports massage now booked for next Wednesday with Peter Mathews. I guess my body has been crying out for 1!! Hopefully it loosens the left side a bit and also the right heal at the back has been tight a good while. I might try and do this every easy week and see if it limbers me up nicely

Do you do any stretching or foam rolling yourself?

Do you do any stretching or foam rolling yourself?

On off kinda thing. I need to get religious with the foam roller even if its just a few rolls each day on the tight areas. As it stands, I let things get bad and then roll the crap outta it, then do nothing for a few weeks! Not a good method. Rolled a little this morning and will do a small bit later, then a little more tomorrow..

With regard to stretching I would do a bit every day, nothing too hectic though. 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there etc

I find the roller great. Can get rid of little knots before they develop into something more serious. I'm not a religious man but get religious and pay homage to your foam roller daily ;)

Fri 10/7/15 - 10 miles run
    Sat 11/7/15 - 5 miles very easy, 5 miles normal pace

Legs felt better yesterday so am recovered enough from Wednesdays 18 miler. Today I did another 10 miles, but with the opening 5 miles at a very easy pace. 7 47 to be exact. The legs felt niggles everywhere! When it got time to up the pace the legs felt a bit flush; probably because of the foam rolling I did the day before. Nothing hectic, 10 rolls of the glutes, 10 of the hams, ITB's, Quads, Shins and Calves.

Big session tomorrow, 22 miles with 12 at 5 45 and 2 at 5 30. Was running after my 2 year old nephew all day so hoping Im ready for this! Chances are the little fella will have me woken by 7 tomorrow morning!!

Not sure I've ever wished anybody good luck for a session but good luck tomorrow :).

Don't be a slave to the splits if its a windy one like today or maybe try and do an out and back with the wind at your back for the marathon/tempo sections.

Not sure I've ever wished anybody good luck for a session but good luck tomorrow :).

Don't be a slave to the splits if its a windy one like today or maybe try and do an out and back with the wind at your back for the marathon/tempo sections.

I may take a few seconds off the paces either way as usually about 40% is done on grass. In theory its 4 miles longer than Wednesday but the paces for a lot are slower so Im not too worried because of that. Sure I'll see how I feel, some days ya feel great, others its a struggle but that's running for ya!

Well done in the 1500m today. Was 4 12 a pb?

I may take a few seconds off the paces either way as usually about 40% is done on grass. In theory its 4 miles longer than Wednesday but the paces for a lot are slower so Im not too worried because of that. Sure I'll see how I feel, some days ya feel great, others its a struggle but that's running for ya!

Well done in the 1500m today. Was 4 12 a pb?

Nah, its about a second out but it was a windy one out in Santry today so might have been worth a couple of seconds. Will have another go out in Santry on Wednesday evening so hopefully I'll crack the 4.10 then.

Sun 12/7/15 - Long MP run

22.2 miles - 5E; 6MP, 1T; 2EP; 6MP, 1T; 1.2E

Having been on the go taking care of the nephew all day yesterday, I wasn't too excited about today. To add to the nerves, I was kept up half the night with the little fella having a wheezy chest. He woke me at 7 this morning after a broken 5 hours kip so when I headed out at 9.30 I already had it in my head to run slower than target pace and just try and get the mileage.

The warm up miles were grand but apprehensive about what lay in store. At 1 stage I thought about hitting them earlier than after 5 miles just to get the ball rolling! The strategy today was firstly to wear my new light asics racers, to take 2 gels(1 after a mile of the first batch of MPs, the next just before the second) and to hit 70% path, 30% grass. I was looping round SM park today which lately has been subject to bad weather. Today it was overcast, but felt humid and again there was a wind blowing north to south. So basically the 30% grass stretch was into a headwind mad.png

4 miles had past and I was feeling ok. I was just shy of MP but close enough. The 1 issue was that I was thirsty and trying to grab the water bottle off the grass was tricky. So I needed to slow for 1 of the miles just to grab the thing, drink and loop back to put the water back in the same spot. Miles 5 and 6 of the MP's were tough as my body tired a bit but I still had some in the tank. On the tempo pickup I upped the pace where the breathing was more labored. But I got through stage 1, took a gel and continued on.

I was now on the 2 mile recovery and took the 2nd gel. Another sup of water was taken. Reviewing the situation I felt tired. Was it the heavy week of training already or maybe the lack of sleep?! Again the dread crept in. But alas, the 2 miles came and went; now it was time for another 7 hard miles. I upped the pace again facing into the wind. Theres a slight incline in SM park and I was starting to feel it now as I was running on the middle path. Looping round and round my mind zoned out; Repeatedly I was seeing the same auld lad walking the dog, the mother with child, the 2 Asian lads sitting on the bench. What on Earth were they thinking of me?!?!

4 miles in I took a mini panic. The legs were obviously feeling it and the heavy feeling had crept in. As a result I thought that I needed to stop running. That didn't happen obviously as I continued on the path section. I was on autopilot at this stage counting down the miles. Thirst kicked in again so I looped onto the pitches and stopped to take some water/have a slash smile.png Mentally I felt guilty about the stop, but [EMAIL="f@ck"]f@ck[/EMAIL] it, the session isn't gonna be broken on a stoppage here and there. The last MP mile was tough but I was happy out that the splits were ok, not quite 5 45 but close enough.

I was thinking of forgetting about the last tempo mile or maybe just hitting it as an MP mile. Though when push came to shove after 6 MP miles were done I upped the pace as best I could. All the running today had come to this moment. It was lonely out there today, luckily 2 Cru were giving me words of support on the second half of the session as they easy ran today. I stuck to the path for the first part of the tempo mile(Id done this for both tempo miles). I flogged the body and passing the woman and child I thought to myself "thank [EMAIL="f@ck"]f@ck[/EMAIL] I don't have to see them again!!!" It was now a panic countdown as I hit the pitches/grass for the last stage of the tempo. It was the slowest 0.3 miles(mentally) Id flogged in a while!!

Eventually the garmin beeped and I began to shuffle. The hard bit was now over. I headed back to the bag/drink bottle and stopped for a minute to compose myself. Again, Im not too concerned about these stops. Then I headed on my merry way home. The legs felt a bit flu like on the journey home as I put 1 foot in front of the other.

Really happy with todays session. Not ideal weather but decent enough splits and I gained a lot of speed endurance on this run. Of course I was tired but felt better than Wednesday. Then I went to the well, today I just stopped short and had a look biggrin.png Splits today were...

7 15, 7 05, 6 41, 6 40, 6 33
    6 04, 5 47, 5 56, 5 54, 5 45, 5 49 - 5 27
    7 11, 6 51
    5 43, 5 50, 5 49, 5 52, 5 51, 5 51, - 5 38
    6 49; 0.2 miles at 6 39 pace

Mon 13/7/15 - Rest
    Tue 14/7/15 - 2m wu; 6 x 1k(4 min jog rec); 2m wd
    All on trail with sharp U turn either end. A bit windy down 1 side

After Sundays run I needed a rest. Had I followed the plan to a tee I would have hit that session on Saturday, done a handy 1 Sunday and have Monday off. But the reality was I did the session Sunday and with only 1 days rest my legs were still tired and niggly today. So much so that when I got home at 6 I vegged for 20 minutes. The missus had convinced me that a rest would be best.

But by 6.30 that little noise in my brain annoyed me to the point of heading out to at least get the 2 mile warm up done. The track was ready for action again but I decided to avoid it and opt for my measured 1km of trail at the sidewall of SM park. Once on the trail I told myself to at least get a couple of reps done, sure it'd be rude not to!!! So off I went.

My strategy was to not push too far beyond my limits and run comfortable. 3 10 would have been a nice number on grassy/bumpy trail. I was surprised to see a 3 06 split. Happy days I thought, but could I hold that sort of pace for 6? The second rep I must have relaxed a bit as this was 3 07.

I ran a nice controlled 3rd rep and the time was 3 05. Nice one, a solid enough start. My legs were knackered but the times were coming down. Rep 4 was 3 04. Thank God the recoveries were 4 minute jogs as I was recovering enough to give each km a decent bash. So after the recovery I hit the 5th rep. Controlled for the first half into the slight wind, then on the last 100m upping the pace to finish strong in another 3 04.

At this stage the left glute felt tight on top of the tired legs but the breathing was ok which I felt was a huge help getting me through this session. That and I took a gel before leaving the house biggrin.png So I bust out 1 final rep which did feel tough. Another 3 04! Bumped into team mate KF who thought I looked very lean from the marathon training. A nice compliment which suggests I'll be a good race weight come the big day.

So a very good session tonight and happy with the splits. Id like to think they would be sub 3 on a track which maybe suggests theres a decent 3k in me some time in the future. Splits tonight were

3 06
    3 07
    3 05
    3 04
    3 04
    3 04

Wed 15/7/15 - Sports massage

My plan called for 5 miles handy but I opted for the sports massage instead. I should make a few of those miles up in the next day or 2. Went to Peter Mathews who I'd deffo recommend. A running man that knows runners ailment s :) Everything was worked on from the hips/glutes to the shins/calves. Felt pretty sore at the time but with all the mileage over the years the legs were just tight everywhere. I'll probably get another one in a month but will foam roller regularly in the meantime.

• Advertisement

Thur 17/7/15 - 10 miles run

Twas a wet and miserable evening for this one. Legs felt ok after the sports massage, maybe a little sore round the hips. Still, I enjoyed getting out to test the limbered up legs passing the power station followed by decomposing cat(who's been there 2 weeks now and its getting a bit freaky looking at this stage!).

Got home then and decided to weigh myself - 10 stone, 1 and 3/4's! Jeez, Ive never been that light! If I gave up running Id reckon on 11 and a half stone. Normal training Im usually 10 8. 10 1 is crazy, though Id say it varies a bit depending on when Ive eaten etc.. Still, less load to carry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Savage stuff there lately.
    You're flying.

Did you seriously do 22.2m looping SM park last week? You are mental (in a good, committed to training way :))

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Savage stuff there lately.
    You're flying.

Did you seriously do 22.2m looping SM park last week? You are mental (in a good, committed to training way :))

well, 20 anyways. 1 mile out and back smile.png Another lad in the club got me into the whole "spacing out" and looping round and round. Though it usually only works when the session is broken into different pace segments eg 8 at tempo, the rest medium. I couldn't run 20 miles at the same pace round SM park!!

Sat 18/7/15 - long tempo session 18 miles(3m wu; 4T; 5 med; 4T; 2m wd)
    Sun 19/7/15 - LSR 22 miles(10 at v easy pace, rest at med pace) - ended up doing 23.2 miles!!!!!

So I had a long weekend of running. And it started yesterday with a tempo session with the T miles planned at around 5 30. Met up with JF who paced me for a couple but he has a niggle so didn't want to overdo it. As usual it was windy down 1 side and my loop was 60% path, 40% grass pitch. My first 4 miles tempo were hard work and with the wind blustering, I found it difficult to get on the correct pace. The splits were up and down but were pretty darn fast(2 were sub 5 20!!). WTF?!?! on the 5 miles in between I decided to just run comfortable and forget splits. The wind seemed to pick up more as I started the next rep. Again, hard work but I managed to keep the splits even enough around 5 30. A solid session under the belt!

Today I headed to the Phoenix park for a change heading 4 miles along the canal. The legs were tired from yesterday and after 8 miles I was in a foul mood mad.png Once the very easy miles were over I picked up the pace and did the loop around the trail along the wall. It took a couple of miles but I got on the pace. Though stupidly I miscalculated the distance and where I should have been at the Acres, I was just past the Furry Glen. So I was forced to hit an extra 1.2 miles, so 23.2 miles total. Luckily I came prepared with gels and 2 small bottles of water so I was well hydrated and had enough fuel. The run back was just going through the motions. I was moving at a decent clip but on tired legs. Still, at least I knew that I wouldn't hit the wall. At home now and resting for the day, well earned!

So all in all, a pretty good weekend of running(and a good week for that matter!). Splits this weekend were..

Saturday Tempo
    7 19; 6 46; 6 41
    5 30; 5 16; 5 26; 5 19
    7 13; 6 47; 6 49; 6 51; 6 50
    5 28; 5 29; 5 32; 5 30

Sunday LSR
    8 03; 7 47; 7 32; 7 20; 7 37; 7 30; 7 27; 7 43; 7 34; 7 23
    7 13; 6 56; 7 00; 6 59; 6 53; 6 44; 6 34; 6 40; 6 51; 6 48; 6 44; 6 47; 6 33
    0.21m at 6 04 pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That's an incredible two days running!

If your legs aren't stumps come Oslo, you'll smash it up

TbL

That's an incredible two days running!

If your legs aren't stumps come Oslo, you'll smash it up

TbL

At this rate, they will be stumps! Thought id be on an easy week this week but coach has me on my peak mileage week; 75-80 hard miles :eek: At least it will be easy the next week..

At this rate, they will be stumps! Thought id be on an easy week this week but coach has me on my peak mileage week; 75-80 hard miles :eek: At least it will be easy the next week..

you hope ;)

Wed 22/7/15 - MP session 1.5m wu; 15m at MP; 1.5m wd

Well technically there was meant to be 2 miles of those 15 at Tempo pace(5 30) but with the wind blustering I decided to keep truckin round at the same pace. The usual route again with 40% grass and 60% park path. I didnt feel tired or anything like that beforehand but I really didnt want to do this session. All day at work I was thinking ahead and not wanting this atall. Though I was always gonna hit this even with the lack of enthusiasm.

So after a small warmup I hit the pace. The conditions tonight were warm enough with a bit of a wind gusting down 1 side. So in theory my splits were gonna be a bit off target. Me being stubborn though wanted to be around MP of 5 43 so I clipped round and round hitting my target pace. As the session went on the wind seemed to get stronger down that side and bluster a bit so I was hit with a little side wind.

After a few miles I needed some water but had to slow down to grab it on the go. Those few splits were high 5 40's as a result. Still, it didnt really matter as I was still hitting the ballpark pace. In the middle few miles I couldnt see my water as the wind had blown it into high grass so I went a chunk of miles thirsty before I spotted it again!!The last few miles were hard as the wind strengthened and in turn sapped me a bit. Begrudgingly I continued on. My stomach didnt feel quite right with a few miles left and on the last mile I knew that an emergency bush jump was needed. The cramps slowed me a little but I wanted to get the 15 done. With 0.2 miles left I had no choice but to stop :mad: A minute later I finished the session.

Another decent session in the bag. Given the conditions Id say the effort was a bit more than MP but slightly less than Tempo. Hopefully on the day I'll be able to knock out another 11.2 miles at the same pace :D Splits tonight were..

5 43; 5 42; 5 40; 5 41; 5 41; 5 39; 5 42; 5 48(water pickup); 5 39; 5 46; 5 42; 5 49(water pickup); 5 47; 5 45; 5 45

Serious session. If you can run 15 miles solo at more or less MP 6 weeks out you are well on track. Your training of late has me feeling like a right lazy git. Fair play to you.

• Advertisement

Serious session. If you can run 15 miles solo at more or less MP 6 weeks out you are well on track. Your training of late has me feeling like a right lazy git. Fair play to you.

Yeah, but those 15 felt tough. Had me thinking how on earth an extra 11 on top of that will be possible! Guess it wont be as windy and 40% of the route wont be on grass :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yeah, but those 15 felt tough. Had me thinking how on earth an extra 11 on top of that will be possible! Guess it wont be as windy and 40% of the route wont be on grass :pac:
    I used to do that session as my last session three weeks out from my marathon, but eventually gave it up, as it's too tough (and I have always hit my goal times within a few seconds). That you can do it now speaks volumes. That another 11 miles seems impossible is largely irrelevant! It'll be there on the day.

Hoping that you're not planning on running too much longer at marathon pace?! I reckon 15 miles is about the turning point from a diminishing returns perspective, but I guess everyone's different.

I used to do that session as my last session three weeks out from my marathon, but eventually gave it up, as it's too tough (and I have always hit my goal times within a few seconds). That you can do it now speaks volumes. That another 11 miles seems impossible is largely irrelevant! It'll be there on the day.

Hoping that you're not planning on running too much longer at marathon pace?! I reckon 15 miles is about the turning point from a diminishing returns perspective, but I guess everyone's different.

Yeah, Im sure those last 11 will be there on the day. This a peak mileage week for me at 75-80 miles with a very tricky tempo on Saturday which Im dreading!! After that its an easy week. After the easy week I have 7 weeks remaining so Id imagine another couple of hard weeks before the taper. I only get to see the plan on a weekly basis which keeps me guessing but there are JD sessions in there..

Thur 24/7/15 - 5 miles not so easy

Headed out after work and felt no problems for the first couple of miles. Got to SM park and talked with a couple of team mates for a little and then continued on myself. After 3 miles I felt a real sudden hunger and a little weakness. I was proper starved! My initial thought was maybe a bit of carb depletion from the big Wednesday session. So headed towards the outdoor tap at the GAA club to guzzle down some water. The last mile I started to feel better so maybe dehydration? Then I remember I had a smaller than usual lunch with no meat which didnt help! Got home where the other half cooked me up a nice large pasta dish :)

Lesson learnt, Eating AND hydration are important parts of marathon training!!

Fri 24/7/15 - rest - felt a little under the weather so aired on the side of caution. Ended up in Morton stadium watch others flog themselves insteadbiggrin.png

Sat 25/7/15 - 2m wu; 5m T(5 min jog); 4m T(4m jog); 3m T(3 min jog); 2m T(2 min jog); 1m T; 2m wd

Im a sucker for the same route so again SM park was the venue with 40% grass and 60% path which was gravelly in parts! Im starting to sound like a broken record here but it was very windy down 1 side so each time I hit the grass, it was into a head wind. Initially I was a little worried about not feeling 100% yesterday but I was feeling ok today. My first 5 miles splits were solid and around the 5 30 aim.

On the second 4 rep of 4 miles I started ok with a decent 1st mile but the splits drifted a little due to the conditions. The wind had started to kick up and it got tougher as the miles went by. After this I decided to run on feel and looped round. Luckily JF showed up for some moral support as at that stage thoughts of dropping out drifted in and out of my mind. In these conditions there was no point in flogging myself to hit good 5 30 splits and also I didn't have it in me!

The 3 mile leg was really tough but I knew if I got through this Id be on the pigs back. This was where I just went through the motions running at a pace that I knew I could get through. I was hitting reps in the 5 40's, though there was 1 freak 5 25 split on this 3 mile leg! I stopped briefly just before starting the 2 mile leg and nearly puked! Luckily I didn't though smile.png The first split was 5 38 but the 2nd was 5 50 - the worst split of the day so far. But in fairness the wind was getting stronger or at least that's how it felt!! And some reps had more path than others. The slower reps tended to have more grass.

On the final rep which was 1 solitary mile I said **** it, I'll do the whole thing on path and see what the difference was. So with 1 last effort I launched myself into the final hard mile heading out along the nature reserve path where I got a few looks from the locals out with their dogs. I guess they didn't expect a skinny topless guy to be going at a clip flying past the other joggersbiggrin.png I was happy and relieved to finish this in 5 26 - BOOM! On the way back to SM park I was greeted with the sight of JF with my water, thank f"ck!!!

So today was a decent session. The first thing learnt today was water strategy; I was taking on liquids only on my jog recoveries. This meant a 5 mile stretch before a sup followed by a 4 mile stretch. I guess I didn't want to mess with splits by trying to grab a water of the ground whilst hitting Tempo pace. Second thing learnt today was the nature of my route. Looking at Garmin connect I could see the variances. On the path it was 5 20's, 1 part of the path on a turn tended to be 5 30 and the grass was around 5 45. But the grass section drifted to 6 towards the end whereas the other parts didn't drift much. I guess the wind did kick up as the session went. Anyways, Im waffling now, slits were..

5 33; 5 31; 5 32; 5 29; 5 26
    5 29; 5 42; 5 40; 5 42
    5 24; 5 47; 5 42
    5 37; 5 51
    5 26

Sun 26/7/15 - 21.15 miles run

Met up with JF and decided on heading to UCD this afternoon. Bit of a miserable run as it was raining for the whole thing and my legs ached from yesterdays tough session. So for the first 15 miles I moaned my way round the gravel trail! Not many people round the campus today except a few Chinese students who were taking photos of us! I guess its not every day you get to see 2 eejits running round a field biggrin.png So I struggled on and found a bit of a second wind towards the end to get me across the line. So not a memorable run and one that dragged for both of us.

So overall a hard week of training that had to be done. Was aiming for 75 miles but got 69.15. Have tomorrow off but am tempted to throw in a 5 miler to hit target. The fact Im on an easy week next week means that it should be no problem throwing on the extra 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'd say after all that hard training of late take your easy week as easy as possible.
    Some going on that 5,4,3,2,1 @ Tempo. I have tried that at MP on a few occasions and barely managed it, so to do it a tempo pace :eek:.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'd say after all that hard training of late take your easy week as easy as possible.
    Some going on that 5,4,3,2,1 @ Tempo. I have tried that at MP on a few occasions and barely managed it, so to do it a tempo pace :eek:.

If I do 5 miles tomorrow it will be at a very very handy pace! It was a tough week but Im not totally wrecked which is a good thing.

Yeah, that 5 4 3 2 1 session is pure punishment. Hopefully it makes MP feel a bit handier on the day..

Just got this weeks plan in - easy as I please all week :D Thank f@ck! Though its a double edge sword as next week will apparently be a serious week of training. Gonna do 5 miles later to bring last week to 75. Probably neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things but Im a stickler for numbers :pac: And in theory I can run really low mileage all week.

Just booked the Adidas 10 miler in the Phoenix park. Not the fastest course but should be a good blow out a month before the marathon..

Also I might get a sports massage this week as will be away next but am not sure whether this would impact on an easy week..Any thoughts?

Also I might get a sports massage this week as will be away next but am not sure whether this would impact on an easy week..Any thoughts?

Perfect time to get a sports massage IMO. I always try to take it very handy the day after a deep tissue massage.

Perfect time to get a sports massage IMO. I always try to take it very handy the day after a deep tissue massage.

Booked in for Wednesday so along with an easy week of running, I should be in good shape by the end of the week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement