Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 2.30 marathon? Suits you sir!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Mon 27/7/15 - Rest (weather was rubbish so didnt bother chasing the miles :D)

Tue 28/7/15 - 50 mins run.
    Took the pace handy out to the power station. In the distance Dalkey head was basked in sun. However it was seriously dark where I was with the rain sweeping across the bay. A surreal image!

Wed 29/7/15 - Sports massage

Didnt bother running today as was down for a sports massage. Was tough going but muscles feel loose. Getting a little paranoid with the lack of running this week but the body needed a rest, legs will thank me in the long run :D

Will be down in Killarney all next week. If anyone knows a decent trail of a good few miles Id be grateful. Not all road but maybe a mixture of terrains..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Will be down in Killarney all next week. If anyone knows a decent trail of a good few miles Id be grateful. Not all road but maybe a mixture of terrains..

There's the National Park, miles and miles of trails. Close by is the Torc waterfall and there are trails starting there leading up to the mountains.

PaulieC wrote: »
    There's the National Park, miles and miles of trails. Close by is the Torc waterfall and there are trails starting there leading up to the mountains.

Cool, thanks!

Thur 30/7 - 55 mins run

Headed out along the canal from portobello aiming for Beggars Bush. On the way I was forced to play chicken with a rat on the trail! The little b0ll0cks was scurrying towards me without signs of backing down; neddless to say that I lost and jumped briefly onto the path as he continued on his way :) After that incident I headed out to SM park where the group were doing a warm up run before the session so I joined in for a bit. After that I looped round the park a few times upping the pace for no reason except boredom, then reduced the pace again when I copped on that I was on an easy week!! After that it was time for home.

1 more handy run later today and then its of to Kerry for a week for hopefully a lot of trail running.

Fri 31/7/15 - 35 mins run

Took in the magnificent sights of Pigeon House road for this one. Attractions included urban decay and open water treatment with the pool covered in a layer of stinking foam :D It was pretty quiet there and any transit van passing by would have me a little on edge. The heavens opened at this stage so a pretty bleak run all the same!

Sat 1/8/15 - Mon 10/8/15

Was away down in Kerry for the last week. Got some easy runs in around the national park. The first hard session was 8 x 1k and I tried to do this in Muckross house. Didnt quite go according to plan as I was on wet trail with tourists getting in the way and the trails coming to a sudden halt where Id have to U turn back. The first 4 reps were 5 31, not great. I eventually found a 2k stretch where I could hit it. Was a little windy and there was a decent incline in the middle so I could only hit 3 25's. The effort was there but I was still bummed with the splits.

The last 3 days were a write off due to the bro's wedding ao no running Friday, Saturday or Sunday! Am fairly knackered today so will rest again. Hoepfully the last week hasnt totally f"cked my marathon training!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Don't worry, as long as the Oslo marathon is run on a big pitch with a strong wind down one side you'll be sound :)

TbL

Don't worry, as long as the Oslo marathon is run on a big pitch with a strong wind down one side you'll be sound :)

TbL

Ah how Ive missed SM park; literally every other trail/route in the world pales in comparison :D

Tue 11/8/15 - 46 mins run

At last, Im back running after a 3 day boozy layoff!! Felt ok tipping along at a decent clip but a little worried still tat I may have lost a bit of fitness. Hopefully tomorrows tough session will get me back on track...

• Advertisement

Wed 12/8 and Thur 13/8 - 50 mins run and 36 mins including 5 strides

I'm meant to do a hard 10 mile session and 22 miles run this week but I've been knackered all week so have pushed these out to the weekend so in the last 2 days Ive had easy running with a few random strides thrown in last night just to see if I still got some speed in the legs!

So I'll try and do that 10 miles later and the 22 miler on Sunday. Though need to be somewhere at 7.30 so it'll be a very tight squeeze considering I finish work at 5.30 :mad:

Edit - Actually might just easy run after work as time is so tight - then do my session tomorrow and 22 miles Sunday!

Fri 14/8/15 -70 mins run

Did this with a Bobo burger in the system - again; when will I ever learn?!?!? It took a while to settle but eventually did. Felt good on the last 10 minutes. Might be just about getting over the brothers wedding, man it knocked me for 6!

Need to leg it now, but Im stating here Im on the dry tonight :D

Sat 15/8/15 - 2m wu; 3 x 1m(1 min jg rec); 3 x 1k(2 min jog rec); 3 x 400m(3 min jog rec) - all on 2 GAA pitches

Well I only had 2 bottles last night which was good for me, but was standing for 3 hours and the legs were knackered by the time I got home!! Its felt like a long while since I did a quality session so the nerves were there but I needed to get this done today. So headed out to the SM park GAA pitches.

The conditions were a little muggy and windy down 1 side - the usual :D When it was time to hit the miles I struggled on the first. I just felt heavy legged and low on energy. But I was surprised to hit a good first split. The 2nd and 3rd were also very solid and I was a bit ahead of Tempo target of 5 30 AND all on grass! Now it was time for the K reps.

Upping the pace after doing 3 tempo miles felt so hard. At this stage the top came off for all the ladies(in reality an auld lad walking his dog:)). The 1st 2 splits were ok, solid enough. The last was a few seconds slower as the wind down 1 side hit me hard. But all in all decent effort and decent splits. By now I was feeling the session but still needed to clip out 3 x 400m.

I started off wellish going hard. 100m I thought to myself "this is great!". After 200m the wheels started to come off and by 300m I was flogging the body. 70 seconds, not bad. The next 2 splits were similar in effort and time, also in feeling - flying at 100, uncomfortable after 200 and flogging it after 300! Once finished it was pure relief. So a nice 10 mile speed session under the belt. Splits were ok considering the wind out there and the fact it started to swirl a bit too. Anyways, a bit of confidence restored and a feeling of being back on track. Splits were..

5 24; 5 25; 5 27
    3 09; 3 09; 3 12
    70; 71; 70

Sun 16/6/15 - 22 miles run on mostly trail/grass and a few miles road

It was a muggy one out there today as I headed off on this long run. The legs were still tired from yesterdays speed session so I guess today gave me the feeling of being fatigued come the final few miles. So headed out to SM park before doing a U turn and running to the Phoenix park along the canal.

After 8 miles I got there and dumped my small bag under the usual tree before running all over the park. I was going ok until mile 18 where the legs started to feel it. Had already taken 2 gels and by the time I got back to the bag there were only 2 miles to go so didnt bother with the 3rd gel. So miles 20 to 22 were tough as I ran along with my bag on back again. Eventually finished at the visitor centre with 22 miles done in 2 28 .

So a decent weekend of training. Today was tough near the end but I expected that with the muggy conditions and my tired legs! Splits today were;

7 12
    6 52
    6 53
    6 51
    6 56
    6 42
    6 48
    6 51
    6 40
    6 40
    6 46
    6 44
    6 32
    6 58
    6 39
    6 39
    6 34
    6 36
    6 34
    6 41
    6 41
    6 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

From experience you will benefit more not taking gels during long runs, running depleting your glycogen is what training is all about, the body will adjust.

This week I'll be easy running to recover for the 10 miler this Saturday. Not sure what time I'll get. The course is tough and most of my training lately has been long and slower than 10m pace. Would still love a pb though :D

Mon 17/8/15 - Rest
    Tue 18/8/15 - 2m wu; 4m MP; 1T; 3m MP; 1T; 1m MP; 1m wd
    All continuous and round the 2 GAA pitches in hot and windy conditions

In the back of my mind yesterday, I wasnt gonna do this. The legs were completely stiff still from doing my 2 sessions last week on Sat and Sun. Id convinced myself to maybe go easy and if Im lucky throw in a stride or 2. So I left the house at an easy pace towards the pitches not fully sure of how Id get on.

After 2 miles the legs were a little looser but by no means fresh. A moment of psyching myself up ensured I went from easy pace into marathon pace. It felt surprisingly ok for a mile but after that it was a gritty session. To make things worse a headwind was slowing me a little down 1 side! Mentally I told myself to get the first 4 MP's done and that would do. So I slugged these out. They were shy of 5 45 but considering my legs being in a jocker and the fact I was hitting these on grass I was happy.

4 miles under the belt and for some reason I kept going and actually flogged myself for a tempo mile!! This was hard, but I sucked it up. The breathing started to get heavy on this but luckily the mile crept by and it was onto marathon pace again. It was tops off now as the heat sapped me, the thing was soaked through! It took at least a mile of MP to get the breathing normal again and by 2 miles I was telling myself to stop running.

Mentally I told myself that if the 3rd MP mile pace slipped badly then Id pull the plug on the session but unluckily for me it was actually ok. So now it was time for another tempo mile. I was goosed by now and tried to raise the game. This lasted all of 30 seconds where I went back to MP again. So I bust this out and was ready to stop when a little voice in my head said "sure ya may as well do the last MP mile!" I continued on after the Tempo mile(more like an MP mile in reality). The thought of 2 loops around both pitches almost stopped me in my tracks so I hit the trail to get the last mile done.

When I stopped I drooled like an idiot for a few minutes in front of a boot camp before shuffling to my bag and shuffling home :-) Rewarded myself with an Epsom salt bath and have to say the legs, whilst tired this morning feel a lot better than I thought they would. So a pretty good session done on grass in windy and hot conditions on banjoed legs :D Now I can easy run until the Race Series 10 miler this Saturday. Hope the legs are fresher then! Splits were..

2m wu;
    5 54; 5 54; 5 46; 5 49
    5 31
    5 52; 5 47; 5 50;
    5 45
    5 43
    1m wd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super session - 2 questions for you;

(1) regarding the Epsom salts bath, is there a risk that a hot bath after a session like that in that heat will prolong/enhance any inflammation?
    (2) You do a lot of your training around those GAA pitches - I'm sure its mentally tough. Is this true choice or just 'cause theres no where else to do them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

(1) regarding the Epsom salts bath, is there a risk that a hot bath after a session like that in that heat will prolong/enhance any inflammation?

Who says inflammation is a bad thing?

http://cichirowc.com/uploads/2012-01-30_Inflammation_and_the_healing_process.pdf

Magnesium absorption after prolonged effort in that heat I would actually say is quite beneficial.

• Advertisement

(2) You do a lot of your training around those GAA pitches - I'm sure its mentally tough. Is this true choice or just 'cause theres no where else to do them??

TBH Im not too sure on the science of it all but I do know that the legs feel better than expected today! yesterday I was shuffling around the office completely stiff and now the legs feel looser and whilst tired, are not too bad.

SM park is just handy for me. I can get an 800m loop round the pitches or a 1k loop round the park. Theres a nature reserve there too and a sand trail out to the power station. So it has all I need!! Occasionally I'll head to the Phoenix park or UCD or out to Blackrock to mix things up a little..

Just uploading my training from 2013 marathon where I blew up on mile 17. Can anyone spot a reason why I might have blown up or a weakness in the plan? Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Just uploading my training from 2013 marathon where I blew up on mile 17. Can anyone spot a reason why I might have blown up or a weakness in the plan? Cheers!

My 2c

Can't remember what pace you were running your easy paced runs at but I reckon it was a case of low mileage at slightly higher intensity that had worked for you so well in the past wasn't fully targetted at developing your fuel efficiency and muscle fibre recruitment for a marathon.

IIRC your were flying at the time and had good performances up until the HM. Between lots of 5k paced stuff and slightly too fast easy runs (which are fine for fitness with the lower mileage you were doing) you were basically like a Ferrari trying to complete LeMans on one tank of petrol.

I think this is something you have corrected a bit this time round with the lower intensity sessions (not pace just intensity i.e less 5k-HM stuff) and longer time on your feet including a number of truly lower intensity easy runs will have you not have the same energy efficiency issues you had last time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Never heard of TTTT?

My 2c

Can't remember what pace you were running your easy paced runs at but I reckon it was a case of low mileage at slightly higher intensity that had worked for you so well in the past wasn't fully targetted at developing your fuel efficiency and muscle fibre recruitment for a marathon.

IIRC your were flying at the time and had good performances up until the HM. Between lots of 5k paced stuff and slightly too fast easy runs (which are fine for fitness with the lower mileage you were doing) you were basically like a Ferrari trying to complete LeMans on one tank of petrol.

I think this is something you have corrected a bit this time round with the lower intensity sessions (not pace just intensity i.e less 5k-HM stuff) and longer time on your feet including a number of truly lower intensity easy runs will have you not have the same energy efficiency issues you had last time round.

Yup, Im kinda in agreement with ya there. A lot of 5/10k sessions there. Also I noticed in total I did 6 marathon paced sessions along with 1 HMP session. Looking at my current plan I have already got 17 MP sessions! It looks like a roll reversal in sessions - 2013 had lots of 10k sessions/few MP sessions; 2015 has lots of MP sessions/few 10k sessions

menoscemo wrote: »
    Never heard of TTTT?

you got me there...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think it's cos you knew I was bearing down on you. :) Won't happen again!

On a more serious note, thinking back to 2013, the impressions I have are that your mileage was very low. I'm not sure what your colour-scheme represents in the plan, but if orange=rest day, then that would certainly suggest some pretty low mileage. Take the week of the 1st October. At a guess, I'd say it adds up to 60 miles. Following week? 43 miles. In a typical plan, those two weeks should represent your heaviest/most high quality period of training in the build up to the marathon. Obviously you got some good quality in there during that period, but the volume just didn't seem to back it up. It reads almost like you were doing those sessions in isolation, and little else, rather than doing them as part of a concerted marathon plan. There's just not that much 'running on tired legs' in the entire plan.

Over the next couple of weeks, the mileage dropped (again, assuming orange=rest) and two weeks out, it looks like you had four days off. That may be injury related (or post XC race recovery), but it's not doing you any favours. You're not a high mileage guy, and most of the time you will get away without the volume, as your speed and pain tolerance will take you through distances of 10-13 miles, but after that, it becomes an endurance game, and you don't have the background in annual marathon running that others do. The good news (from what I can see), is that there are no such risks in this particular chapter of training, and you should have made the necessary adaptations so that speed-endurance (running hard over 90 minutes) won't be a problem on this occasion. Those long Daniels sessions will force the body to align with long intense efforts and hopefully that 17 mile barrier will be a thing of the past.

The only other point I'd make would be that you are very used to racing. There is a pretty good chance you'll be close to the front of the field in Oslo. If that happens, what are you going to do? Race or aim for your goal time? It's pretty difficult to do both. You can get away with doing both in shorter distances, but not so much the marathon. If you find a good group to run with, it will pay off dividends, but if the pace of the group is inconsistent (surging etc) then it could be costly. To run optimally from a time perspective, you should be relatively comfortable at 15-17 miles with the hard work to come at 22+. Anyway, no expert, and don't mean to paint myself as such. Just some impressions and perceived risks based on the fact that you're a strong competitive runner. I really think you've hit the right notes on this occasion, and without putting on any pressure, think you'll have a better result than you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

you got me there...............

Reminder (sorry for the hijack smmoore!!)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Reminder (sorry for the hijack smmoore!!)

ha ha! got you now! (.............with apologies to smmoore)

I was wondering what TTTT was myself!!

I think it's cos you knew I was bearing down on you. :) Won't happen again!

On a more serious note, thinking back to 2013, the impressions I have are that your mileage was very low. I'm not sure what your colour-scheme represents in the plan, but if orange=rest day, then that would certainly suggest some pretty low mileage. Take the week of the 1st October. At a guess, I'd say it adds up to 60 miles. Following week? 43 miles. In a typical plan, those two weeks should represent your heaviest/most high quality period of training in the build up to the marathon. Obviously you got some good quality in there during that period, but the volume just didn't seem to back it up. It reads almost like you were doing those sessions in isolation, and little else, rather than doing them as part of a concerted marathon plan. There's just not that much 'running on tired legs' in the entire plan.

Over the next couple of weeks, the mileage dropped (again, assuming orange=rest) and two weeks out, it looks like you had four days off. That may be injury related (or post XC race recovery), but it's not doing you any favours. You're not a high mileage guy, and most of the time you will get away without the volume, as your speed and pain tolerance will take you through distances of 10-13 miles, but after that, it becomes an endurance game, and you don't have the background in annual marathon running that others do. The good news (from what I can see), is that there are no such risks in this particular chapter of training, and you should have made the necessary adaptations so that speed-endurance (running hard over 90 minutes) won't be a problem on this occasion. Those long Daniels sessions will force the body to align with long intense efforts and hopefully that 17 mile barrier will be a thing of the past.

The only other point I'd make would be that you are very used to racing. There is a pretty good chance you'll be close to the front of the field in Oslo. If that happens, what are you going to do? Race or aim for your goal time? It's pretty difficult to do both. You can get away with doing both in shorter distances, but not so much the marathon. If you find a good group to run with, it will pay off dividends, but if the pace of the group is inconsistent (surging etc) then it could be costly. To run optimally from a time perspective, you should be relatively comfortable at 15-17 miles with the hard work to come at 22+. Anyway, no expert, and don't mean to paint myself as such. Just some impressions and perceived risks based on the fact that you're a strong competitive runner. I really think you've hit the right notes on this occasion, and without putting on any pressure, think you'll have a better result than you think.

Yeah, orange is a rest day and I injured the foot close to the marathon which wasnt ideal. Something that was very common in that stage of my training. This time Ive only had 1 blip a week and a bit ago but am back consistent again. Definitely this time Ive had tired legs, yesterdays session was a sufferfest but if a gun was put to my head I would have gone on longer!

I'll be running on pure time for this marathon. Ive got the effort of marathon pace in me now so should be ok to hold back if anybody surges. Maybe in the last mile if there is something left then i'll give it socks :D Even this Saturday for the 10 miler I'll try and pace and keep the splits even.

I guess I just typed out the 2013 plan just to spell out in my mind where I went wrong and its easy to see why the wheels came off.. It left a bad taste with me that still messes with the head!

• Advertisement

Wed 19/8/15 - 5 miles horrible run!

Come mile 3 on this slog I felt extremely hungry, heavy legged and a little light headed. Definitely the 3 sessions in the last 4 days had taken their toll, thats for sure. But I also only got maybe 5 hours sleep the night before which deffo didnt help! Feeling like this 3 days before a race is not the best thing to happen but hopefully I will be recovered by then, plus I slept well last nighT!

Thur 20/8/15 - 7 miles okish run

The legs were still stiff from Tuesday(2 day rule!) as I headed along the canal to SM park. From mile 3-4 I didnt feel great, a little low on energy and slightly hungry. Strangely enough this disappeared soon after and I started to feel myself again. So cruised around relieved that although my legs were a bit stiff I was ok energy wise.

Had a decent sleep last night and no stiffness in the legs this morning. Gonna do 4-5 miles at lunch and hope to God that tomorrow Im rested enough to give the 10 mile race a good stab..

Fri 21/8/15 - 4 miles lunch run

Got out just before lunch in lovely warm conditions and headed to Herbert park. Felt hungry after a bit, I guess not enough food before hand. Back to the office and milled a large meatball pasta with some rice thrown on top :pac:

Not 100% how tomorrow will go. If the race was Sunday Id have more confidence as I think the Sat-Tue sessions are still in the legs although they werent as stiff today. Hopefully another nights sleep and another pasta dinner later will have me fresher tomorrow.

Sat 22/8/15 - 1m wu; 10 mile road race; 2m wd

Woke up this morning and at last there was no soreness in the legs. Even yesterday the quads were a little sore. So a little relief there. Headed out with the wife to the Phoenix park. Conditions wise it was overcast and as a result humid. Chatted to a few clubmates before the start and then lined up. I took a brief look around for anyone that I could pace off but didnt see anyone. Not to matter, I may find a group once the gun went off.

The first mile was downhill and I felt great! I was flying or so I thought. A few lads up ahead of me were a level above so eventually I eased off them. Before I knew it my garmin beeped - 5 02 :eek: F@ck sake, downhill or not, that was ridiculous. Soon we turned left and I immediately started to work on the slight inclined road that seemed to go on for ages passing Ashtown gate. Mile 2 went and it was in the 5 20's. Aw sh1t I thought as I worked hard all on my lonesome. By the time 3 miles passed I was feeling not so good. 4 miles went and I was nearly back on Chesterfield avenue.

At this stage I was running low on fuel in no mans land. A group of 3 were slowly catching me. The next 2 and a bit miles were down the main avenue and I should have made hay here but I couldnt get out of the 5 20's pace. In a parched state I saw the missus with my water which I nearly took her arm off to sup on it! By now I could here the lads behind me and come mile 7 they levelled with me. We were now heading downwards to Conningham road and my mile here was 5 14, at last a solid split. I struggled behind the lads.

Tucking behind the boys we passed 8 miles and I knew a massive hill lay ahead. Of the 4 of us the Donore lad pulled away and none of us were willing to go with him. We turned into Chapilizod gate and uphill for the next while. I tucked in and hung on for dear life. Eventually the land levelled off and I was goosed with a mile left. The 2 lads openned a gap on me in the last mile as I flogged myself on. In hindsight I should have tried hang on a bit longer but at the time I didnt have it. They had a great battle in the final straight as I looked on in jelousy. I crossed the line in 10th, 53 47 which is a 1 second pb.

I was hoping to be at least 30-40 seconds quicker today but I just didnt have it. I dont think the legs were fully recovered from me cramming in sessions on Sat/Sun/Tue. I guess if the legs are stiff up until Friday then even come Saturday with no stiffness, they cant be 100%. Still a pb is a pb and McMillan put that time as a 2 30 marathon :D Splits were..

5 02; 5 23; 5 26; 5 26; 5 23; 5 22; 5 22; 5 14; 5 38; 5 29

They had a great battle in the final straight as I looked on in jelousy. I crossed the line in 10th, 53 47 which is a 1 second pb.

There were 5000 people behind you looking at you in jealousy.
    10th is an amazing performance in such a race.

Massive congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done super racing, that was some first mile.

1st place in the semi auld lad category (M35)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Nice result. I know it's not what you wanted but with the training done, I wouldn't expect a blistering 10 miler. After all, the old marathon is somewhat longer. The race next month is what counts. You know that yourself but just wanted to come on and point out the bloody obvious! Great attitude. No fuss training. Great to read.

There were 5000 people behind you looking at you in jealousy.
    10th is an amazing performance in such a race.

Massive congrats.

Good talking with ya the last day. I was expecting a balding 65 year old type, so ya should really change that profile name :pac: maybe 'young looking auldman king'!!

Well done super racing, that was some first mile.

1st place in the semi auld lad category (M35)

TbL

Less of the auld lad :D I deffo wont be going out like that in the marathon!! On the day I recognised a Raheny fella that was 10 secs ahead of me in the 5 miler. So I went with him on the first mile. Big mistake as he pulled out after 3 miles and I was left with less in the tank!

Nice result. I know it's not what you wanted but with the training done, I wouldn't expect a blistering 10 miler. After all, the old marathon is somewhat longer. The race next month is what counts. You know that yourself but just wanted to come on and point out the bloody obvious! Great attitude. No fuss training. Great to read.

Not what I wanted but its solid enough to suggest Im on the right track for Oslo. So happy enough.

• Advertisement

Sun 23/8/15 - 6 miles run

I was down to do 15 miles but went on a bit of a session that night and was in bad form all day. Eventually JF convinced me to get out and the 2 of us met up in SM park. It was miserable but better than doing nothing. I'll do another 6-7 miles later to catch up, nothing to strenuous and run on feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Super running on Sat and congrats on the PB - fair play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great stuff again on Saturday. Really looking forward to seeing how you get on in Oslo. Your training suggests you're well on track anyway. Not long to go now.

Mon 26/8/15 - rest - decided not to catch up on miles missed last week

Tue 26/8/15 - 6 miles run - Legs not quite ready for a session so I switched my 5 miler from Wednesday to tuesday. Added 1 extra mile :D Run itself was a bit damp and dull..

Wed 26/8/15 - 2m wu; 6x1k(2 min jog rec); 4x400(3 min jog rec); 2m wd
    On SM park pitches, except for 2 of the k's which were on trail

3 14, 3 10, 3 10, 3 12 ,3 14, 3 10
    72, 72, 71, 70

It was a damp windy evening for this session. Did this alone in SM park and all reps felt tough! There was a dirty wind which was gusting down 1 side. This effected my splits along with the grass being a little damp. 2 of my k reps were done on the trail. Both were slower at 3 14 due the trail being a bit trickier to navigate. Just took each rep 1 at a time without thinking too far ahead and managed to get through. My warm down was done with 2 tight groins, I guess between tonight and Saturdays race, the body has been pushed hard recently! Anyways its easy running til Saturday where it will be a long session..

Thur 27/8/15 - 9 miles run
    Fri 28/8/15 - 6 miles run

Got thursays run done after work and Fridays one done this morning. Nice n bright by the nature reserve though its a pain running when half asleep!

Sat 29/8/15 - 12 mile run

Did this in UCD looping round the trails and pitches. Was meant to do a 19 mile hard session but Im pushing that out til tomorrow..

Sun 30/8/15 - long tempo

3m; 4m T; 6m; 4m T; 3m - 20m total

This is the kind of session where ya absolutely dread beforehand but know if ya get it done, its a right confidence booster. So with trepidation I headed to SM park for a bash at this! 3 miles warm up didnt last too long and before I knew it I had to up the pace to Tempo.

The first half mile felt ok but after that it was knuckle down time as I kept to the path along the edge of the park. The effort felt almost like 10 mile pace last week but I guess with tree cover and the fact that the path is full of small pebbles the pace was not quite 10 mile pace. On the last mile of the 4 mile tempo I headed out along the nature reserve path for half a mile which brought that split down. Goes to show that garmin doesnt read well in the park! Now I was running normal for 6 miles.

The legs were starting to ache as the pace was now a minute slower per mile. The thought of another 6 miles hard didnt quite appeal but I knew that id give them a go either way so after sticking to mostly grass I now switched back to path as it was now Tempo time again. I took the first one handy as I didnt want the breathing to go into hyperdrive. The first was actually ok if a tiny bit slower than tempo pace. After that it was time to zone out to get 2 more miles done. So I sucked it up for another 2.

This was a nice confidence booster as now I had only 1 hard mile left. So I looped SM park once and headed along the nature reserve path for about a quarter mile. Again the pace went down a bit as I was running on smooth surface. Once mile 17 clicked I slowed down and gasped in some air. Now it was time to head back to the park to pick up my gel wrappers and near empty water bottle. Job done and a nice feeling to have completed this in 2 06 :D

7 25; 7 17; 6 55;
    5 38; 5 29; 5 28; 5 21
    6 52; 6 37; 6 55; 6 51; 6 55; 6 49
    5 35; 5 31; 5 32; 5 26
    6 51; 6 33; 6 29

Mon 31/8 - rest
    Tue 1/9 - off (work stress!)
    Wed 2/9 - 7 miles run

Work has been a nightmare the last week and forced me to miss Tuesdays 5 miles. Was meant to do a session yesterday but was so exhausted that I just did a handy 7 miles. Will do that session later this evening hopefully, but at this stage with the job, who knows?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Mon 31/8 - rest
    Tue 1/9 - off (work stress!)
    Wed 2/9 - 7 miles run

Work has been a nightmare the last week and forced me to miss Tuesdays 5 miles. Was meant to do a session yesterday but was so exhausted that I just did a handy 7 miles. Will do that session later this evening hopefully, but at this stage with the job, who knows?!?!

Wouldn't worry about it either way if I was you. Getting to the start line fit & healthy is surely the main goal now?
    Your training has been fantastic to follow and missing a session at this stage in favour of a (necessary?) rest day will probably do you as much good.

Can't wait to see how you go in Oslo. I'm sure I'm not the only one either :)

Advertisement