Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 2.30 marathon? Suits you sir!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Cracking time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great time. Great run

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Caprica

Fantastic running. Well done & congrats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Fantastic achievement - superb. Many Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Brilliant - well done chief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thanks all. Was ****ed for last 12k. Heat was savage today at 19 degrees. Really wore me down!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Well done smmoore!
    I've had the pleasure of reading your log from the start, and you're an inspiration to all...It does suck when the weather throws a curve ball but you did well, enjoy it, and best of luck in the future!

Sat 19/9/15 - Oslo marathon

Morning - woke up nice and early, had my porridge and a few slices of bread. Chilled out for a bit and then checked out of the hotel. The walk to the marathon start line was about 15 minutes away and I noticed it was cold and fresh, nice one! Once at the start line there were only 3 portaloos and a growing queue so out of worry I jumped on and spent 20 minutes waiting. The clock was now 8.45.

Next on the agenda was to find the bag drop area which was behind town hall and next to a rake of portaloos, typical! So I didn't really get to warm up atall. I hopped the barrier and jumped into position with 10 minutes remaining. Standing there I felt the sun on my tusks, glaring into my eyes. The temperature was beginning to rise. Luckily I had a water bottle with me and in hindsight this was my savior. The countdown was on, 10, 9, 8, ......3,2,1 and we were off!!

I took the first k handy and settled into about 20th place. I knew there was a long way to go so didn't want to blow my chances early on. We passed the first k in 3 37ish which was good as the pace felt so comfortable. I caught a small group and pushed ahead. Way ahead were 2 east Africans, no chance to catch them but there were others ahead that I could catch and hopefully pace off. Another small group caught and I pushed on. 2km gone and I now made my way up to 2 lads. I recognized one from the race magazine. I didn't understand the ins and outs of the article but I did see 2 28 and that he was the first Norwegian last year. Some runner type spectators cheering him on confirmed this for me.

The first 10k was fine; I was comfortable and letting the k's fly by. At this stage we were now entering the harbor, freight on either side with nobody around - bar a random dj pumping music. 10 metres of stoney gravel to get through. We got to the end of the port area and back towards town on the motorway. The sun was beating down by now but I still felt ok. We passed a highrise district and then onto an affluent area. 17k had passesd and up ahead there was a decent hill. The 3 of us battled up it and after a minute it leveled. On paper the Oslo marathon would appear flat, but so far Id encountered a few inclines(mainly getting up onto motorways). This hill though was by far the longest and steepest - with a 2 lap course I had to hit this again later!! Soon after the uphill we shot down hill and I recovered a little. We were now on the flat heading for halfway point.

I was working now. Not as bad as the halfway mark in Dublin 2 years ago but still a cause for concern. The 2 lads were pushing the pace a little, I guess with the adrenalin that comes with the large crowd a the halfway point, music pumping and 2 live commentators egging the 2 lads on. From 21k to 25k I felt uch. I was keeping with the 2 lads but the effort was increased. I remember a long stretch along the coast and the sun beating straight into my face. It was hard to see with it in my face. Back into the freight area and the turnaround.

Somehow from 25-30k I found a second wind possibly from the gels and it helped me keep in tough with the 2 lads. We hadn't said a word to each other all through the race, come to think of it the crowds were thin on the ground! Luckily there was dj's, bnds every 3k keeping me motivated - the weirdest being a load of ballerina's dancing to some modern interpretive crap confused.png Approaching the 30k 1 of the lads pushed on(later found out he was a Dane based in Spain and basically warm weather trains all year round). I fell off the pace a resigned myself to running alone as the main Norwegian went with him. I pushed on.

It was so sudden. 1 minute Im working hard, but still comfortable at maintaining the pace; the next I suddenly have to slow down. I could actually pinpoint the moment to an area where theres a Rocky fort. It was roasting now and the skies were clear blue. Up ahead was the Norwegian who had fallen off the Dane and I was getting closer to him! So the next 2k(I think 32 and 33) I actually got within 20 metres of him. But alas I was suffering bad and the gap slowly opened again. The legs had officially turned to LEAD.

The garmin was not connected, I didn't feel quite connected either as I ran at a default pace towards an American style brass band you'd see at St Patricks day. What a sorry sight I looked to them. Its funny that those inclines in the first half of the race had grown in the second half. 35k gone as I ran up onto a motorway and then turned right up again onto another one. A slight motorway downhill for some restbite, another km ticked off. At this stage I tried to become a mathematician. Ok, there 6km left - "If I run each at 7 minutes a k, that makes ehh 49 minutes and a 2 50ish finish. Wait, ..what?! that cant be right!! 7 minutes relates to miles!! Ok start again, 4 minute km's - ah **** sub 2 30 is gone but sub 2 35 might still be there!!!" This kept my shuffle going.

I flogged myself to a water station 5k from the end I grabbed a water cup. In a split second I stopped running and guzzled down that liquid nector. 10 seconds in total Id say as the sun tried to blind me. Ok, time to move again. I was in a heap by the time I got to the bottom of the hill, yup that hill from the first half which by now had doubled in size. The thing that got me up it was that thought of the downhill after and the fact I was lapping a few heads. By the time I got to the top my breathing was crazy but luckily I regrouped on the downhill with 3km to go.

I thought about pulling out at least 10 times so far. Even with 3k to go I thought about it. The land was flat now as I headed towards town. Get to the 39k point and see how ya feel. Some groupies were now cheering "Go Stefan" and it lifted my spirits a little. At last 39k gone and 2k left. 1k through the shopping area and 1 along the seafront where town hall and the rejuvenated harbor side is. My decision making skills were not great here as I almost took a right that was obviously barriered off. I only saw it last second though and made a quick veer left.

Running through the shopping area was so annoying and frustrating. Had this been Dublin the barriers would have been full with well wishers. All I got here was indifferent people going about their business shopping. I almost stopped in protest to declare "sort yer sh1t out Oslo!!" In fairness Id become a grumpy f"cker at this stage. 41k gone and that was such a huge relief that I could stop in a k!!! So I tried to push a little harder as I approached the seafront. This was in complete contrast to the shopping area - the routes was thronged with locals shouting and cheering. It gave me a huge lift as I saw the finish line in sight. Up ahead a Kenyan fella just crossed the line; he must have had a horrid second half as his mile half was 1 08!!!! Jayz, I must have felt great in my second half compared to him!! It felt great approaching the finish as the commentators declared "Stafan Mooreh" 5th place in 2 32 57 biggrin.png

I was overcome with such joy and relief to be finally finished. I could now lie down in a corner in sunbathbiggrin.png Had I just run a marathon in those conditions?!?!? After the race it was a dash back to the hotel to grab my baggage, train to airport, flight to Frankfurt, 3 hour stop over and a flight to Dublin/taxi home. In the end the local lad finished 3rd in 2 31 so I only lost 1.5 minutes on him. The Danish lad ploughed on in 1 29 so 3 and a bit off him. My shuffle for the last 10k must have been a quicker shuffle than Dublin 2 years ago! So all in all a nice 7 minute pb and a little redemption.

Can I go sub 2 30 eventually? I think so considering conditions and maybe future fitness gains. I kinda hit the wall today so hopefully peaking higher in future will help. Just as a side note I would recommend Oslo - but with a warning that there a couple of hills and the atmosphere wouldn't be as good as Dublin. Plus the weather, its supposed to be cold up there!!! Anyways Im waffling now.. splits were

MellantidResultatSträcktidmin/kmkm/hPlac

5 km 17:49 17:49 03.34 16.9
    10 km 35:25 17:37 03.31 17.0
    15 km 53:12 17:47 03.33 16.9
    21,1 km 1:14:44 21:33 03.32 17.0
    26,1 km1:32:53 18:10 03.38 16.5
    31,1 km1:50:26 17:33 03.31 17.1
    36,1 km2:09:36 19:10 03.50 15.7
    Mål 2:32:57 23:22 03.50 15.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Great report. I'd reckon if you have another training cycle like this one and favourable conditions you'll get that sub 2:30 and who know what else! Great running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Savage running and an excellent report. I've really enjoyed following this log and I've no doubt you have it in you to break the 2:30 in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

One of my go to threads for inspiration. All that savage training paid off. Fully deserved pb. You probably would have knocked a few more mins off if it was a 20 lap course with a bit of grass thrown in!

Norwegian tv - Im on from 6 mins 30ish to 7 30. Glad I brought that water bottle :-)

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/friidrett/MSPO42050115/19-09-2015#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done S, delighted to see you get a good result. All that hard training paid off. You will have great strength for the winter now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Sat 19/9/15 - Oslo marathon

Morning - woke up nice and early, had my porridge and a few slices of bread. Chilled out for a bit and then checked out of the hotel. The walk to the marathon start line was about 15 minutes away and I noticed it was cold and fresh, nice one! Once at the start line there were only 3 portaloos and a growing queue so out of worry I jumped on and spent 20 minutes waiting. The clock was now 8.45.

Next on the agenda was to find the bag drop area which was behind town hall and next to a rake of portaloos, typical! So I didn't really get to warm up atall. I hopped the barrier and jumped into position with 10 minutes remaining. Standing there I felt the sun on my tusks, glaring into my eyes. The temperature was beginning to rise. Luckily I had a water bottle with me and in hindsight this was my savior. The countdown was on, 10, 9, 8, ......3,2,1 and we were off!!

I took the first k handy and settled into about 20th place. I knew there was a long way to go so didn't want to blow my chances early on. We passed the first k in 3 37ish which was good as the pace felt so comfortable. I caught a small group and pushed ahead. Way ahead were 2 east Africans, no chance to catch them but there were others ahead that I could catch and hopefully pace off. Another small group caught and I pushed on. 2km gone and I now made my way up to 2 lads. I recognized one from the race magazine. I didn't understand the ins and outs of the article but I did see 2 28 and that he was the first Norwegian last year. Some runner type spectators cheering him on confirmed this for me.

The first 10k was fine; I was comfortable and letting the k's fly by. At this stage we were now entering the harbor, freight on either side with nobody around - bar a random dj pumping music. 10 metres of stoney gravel to get through. We got to the end of the port area and back towards town on the motorway. The sun was beating down by now but I still felt ok. We passed a highrise district and then onto an affluent area. 17k had passesd and up ahead there was a decent hill. The 3 of us battled up it and after a minute it leveled. On paper the Oslo marathon would appear flat, but so far Id encountered a few inclines(mainly getting up onto motorways). This hill though was by far the longest and steepest - with a 2 lap course I had to hit this again later!! Soon after the uphill we shot down hill and I recovered a little. We were now on the flat heading for halfway point.

I was working now. Not as bad as the halfway mark in Dublin 2 years ago but still a cause for concern. The 2 lads were pushing the pace a little, I guess with the adrenalin that comes with the large crowd a the halfway point, music pumping and 2 live commentators egging the 2 lads on. From 21k to 25k I felt uch. I was keeping with the 2 lads but the effort was increased. I remember a long stretch along the coast and the sun beating straight into my face. It was hard to see with it in my face. Back into the freight area and the turnaround.

Somehow from 25-30k I found a second wind possibly from the gels and it helped me keep in tough with the 2 lads. We hadn't said a word to each other all through the race, come to think of it the crowds were thin on the ground! Luckily there was dj's, bnds every 3k keeping me motivated - the weirdest being a load of ballerina's dancing to some modern interpretive crap confused.png Approaching the 30k 1 of the lads pushed on(later found out he was a Dane based in Spain and basically warm weather trains all year round). I fell off the pace a resigned myself to running alone as the main Norwegian went with him. I pushed on.

It was so sudden. 1 minute Im working hard, but still comfortable at maintaining the pace; the next I suddenly have to slow down. I could actually pinpoint the moment to an area where theres a Rocky fort. It was roasting now and the skies were clear blue. Up ahead was the Norwegian who had fallen off the Dane and I was getting closer to him! So the next 2k(I think 32 and 33) I actually got within 20 metres of him. But alas I was suffering bad and the gap slowly opened again. The legs had officially turned to LEAD.

The garmin was not connected, I didn't feel quite connected either as I ran at a default pace towards an American style brass band you'd see at St Patricks day. What a sorry sight I looked to them. Its funny that those inclines in the first half of the race had grown in the second half. 35k gone as I ran up onto a motorway and then turned right up again onto another one. A slight motorway downhill for some restbite, another km ticked off. At this stage I tried to become a mathematician. Ok, there 6km left - "If I run each at 7 minutes a k, that makes ehh 49 minutes and a 2 50ish finish. Wait, ..what?! that cant be right!! 7 minutes relates to miles!! Ok start again, 4 minute km's - ah **** sub 2 30 is gone but sub 2 35 might still be there!!!" This kept my shuffle going.

I flogged myself to a water station 5k from the end I grabbed a water cup. In a split second I stopped running and guzzled down that liquid nector. 10 seconds in total Id say as the sun tried to blind me. Ok, time to move again. I was in a heap by the time I got to the bottom of the hill, yup that hill from the first half which by now had doubled in size. The thing that got me up it was that thought of the downhill after and the fact I was lapping a few heads. By the time I got to the top my breathing was crazy but luckily I regrouped on the downhill with 3km to go.

I thought about pulling out at least 10 times so far. Even with 3k to go I thought about it. The land was flat now as I headed towards town. Get to the 39k point and see how ya feel. Some groupies were now cheering "Go Stefan" and it lifted my spirits a little. At last 39k gone and 2k left. 1k through the shopping area and 1 along the seafront where town hall and the rejuvenated harbor side is. My decision making skills were not great here as I almost took a right that was obviously barriered off. I only saw it last second though and made a quick veer left.

Running through the shopping area was so annoying and frustrating. Had this been Dublin the barriers would have been full with well wishers. All I got here was indifferent people going about their business shopping. I almost stopped in protest to declare "sort yer sh1t out Oslo!!" In fairness Id become a grumpy f"cker at this stage. 41k gone and that was such a huge relief that I could stop in a k!!! So I tried to push a little harder as I approached the seafront. This was in complete contrast to the shopping area - the routes was thronged with locals shouting and cheering. It gave me a huge lift as I saw the finish line in sight. Up ahead a Kenyan fella just crossed the line; he must have had a horrid second half as his mile half was 1 08!!!! Jayz, I must have felt great in my second half compared to him!! It felt great approaching the finish as the commentators declared "Stafan Mooreh" 5th place in 2 32 57 biggrin.png

I was overcome with such joy and relief to be finally finished. I could now lie down in a corner in sunbathbiggrin.png Had I just run a marathon in those conditions?!?!? After the race it was a dash back to the hotel to grab my baggage, train to airport, flight to Frankfurt, 3 hour stop over and a flight to Dublin/taxi home. In the end the local lad finished 3rd in 2 31 so I only lost 1.5 minutes on him. The Danish lad ploughed on in 1 29 so 3 and a bit off him. My shuffle for the last 10k must have been a quicker shuffle than Dublin 2 years ago! So all in all a nice 7 minute pb and a little redemption.

Can I go sub 2 30 eventually? I think so considering conditions and maybe future fitness gains. I kinda hit the wall today so hopefully peaking higher in future will help. Just as a side note I would recommend Oslo - but with a warning that there a couple of hills and the atmosphere wouldn't be as good as Dublin. Plus the weather, its supposed to be cold up there!!! Anyways Im waffling now.. splits were

MellantidResultatSträcktidmin/kmkm/hPlac

5 km 17:49 17:49 03.34 16.9
    10 km 35:25 17:37 03.31 17.0
    15 km 53:12 17:47 03.33 16.9
    21,1 km 1:14:44 21:33 03.32 17.0
    26,1 km1:32:53 18:10 03.38 16.5
    31,1 km1:50:26 17:33 03.31 17.1
    36,1 km2:09:36 19:10 03.50 15.7
    Mål 2:32:57 23:22 03.50 15.7

Great race, great report. I'd say that Norweigen was John Henry Strumpstad he has a few sub 2.30 marathons a sub 3 50k and a few low 7 100k under his belt so he is a solid runner. You will go under 2.30 soon maybe the answer for you will be not flogging it too hard in training. I was worried about your freshness after all your long hard sessions but you obviously are plenty strong enough to handle them. A flatter course cooler weather a better atmosphere added to this experience and your a shoe in. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jimcricket

Just brilliant. loved reading your log and a great marathon. Very well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

Only properly catching up with this log now, fair play since the original post back in 2010, some going. Well done and looks like 2:30 will be withing reach soon, very soon. *clicks FOLLOW*

Thur 24/9/15 - 1 mile jog home from work!
    Sat 25/9/15 - 35 mins easy

After taking a few days off I finally got out today. Took it nice and handy soaking up the sun as it baked the bay. Rather enjoyable though my body is not recovered yet. The achilles were both sore and tight but not a major worry. Might follow the PD recovery plan and ease myself back into running. I guess its a good sign that Im raring to go again :D

Now that the dust has settled and Ive had time to let the marathon sink in, I reckon Ive learnt a thing or 2. 2 years ago I hit the wall after 17 miles. Last week I still hit the wall but at around 19.5 miles. So peaking at 75 miles pushed my threshold out a couple of miles. Im thinking now that I usually average 55 mile weeks in normal non marathon training but I can push this out to 70 in the next 2 months which in turn will definitely help in my next marathon cycle where I could peak at 85 miles. Well thats the plan anyways!!!

Have you had any thoughts where the next attempt might be? A busier race with a deeper field might give you an extra advantage. More people to work with. Regardless I'm looking forward to reading about it.

dintbo wrote: »
    Have you had any thoughts where the next attempt might be? A busier race with a deeper field might give you an extra advantage. More people to work with. Regardless I'm looking forward to reading about it.

Absolutely no idea!! Just gonna ease myself into normal training again and hit some cross country/road races over the next few months. As far as the marathon is concerned, maybe another Autumn effort(Berlin or Dublin)

Sun 27/9/15 - 50 mins easy

Recovery continues! Met up with clubmate CD and tipped around SM park before moving on to the Southwall and back. Nice warm weather for it so pretty enjoyable. Achilles still a little tired but better than yesterday.

• Advertisement

Wed 30/9/14 - 25 mins easy

Slowly getting into the groove, ran twice last week and maybe 3-4 times this week. Bumped into 4 club mates and chatted for a bit before heading home..

Sat 3/10/15 - 40 mins easy
    Sun 4/10/15 - 50 mins easy

2 nice handy runs over the weekend. So 3 in total for the week. Might push the boat out this week with 4 runs, and who knows, maybe 5!!

Great to watch the Dublin Novices yesterday and see the Cru do so well in both mens and womens. EColi ran a savage race and was nice catching up with the rest of the Cru plus AMC :pac:

Wed 7/10 - 30 mins easy

First run of the week and got out late for this. Nice and dark but at least the floodlights were on in SM park.

Sun - 11/10/15 - 75 mins run

Headed out to Southwall for this. On the way out I looped the nature reserve 3 times just to get some hill strength in. On the way back I did 3 loops again! So some nice tough running in.

Not the best running week as Ive been busy in work and looking for a new place at the same time.But at least I can put it down to marathon recovery :pac:

Sub 11/10/15 -pm - 30 mins handy

Had the sudden urge to head out again! Very eerie in sm park with the mist covering the pitches

Mon 12/10 - rest
    Tue 13/10 - 33 mins including 3 X 800

Headed out on a dark evening run. Got to the park and was relieved to see the floodlights on. I don't know what got into me but I ran 800 at pace on the trail. This was followed by 2 more on the pitches! I didn't pace but ran on feel, but it was nice to work the lungs a little...

Thur 16/10/15 - 44 mins run

Headed out after work and bumped into the lads at SM park. A few loops and a brief chat and I was on my way home! So 2 runs this week, hopefully i'll get 5 in total, 4 worst case..

Havent updated my training log for a bit as some inconsiderate little fella decided to arrive and change my life(for the better!). My first born little Franz was born Monday at 1.30am so Im overjoyed and very busy biggrin.png The good news is that he has legs and feet like his dad so could be a nice outside bet for 800m Olympic gold in 2040 - no pressure kid!! Hopefully he has my stubbornness and his mams German efficiency pacman.gif

Anyways, I did manage a Saturday run for 45 mins with 5k at 6 15 pace with clubmate CD who is fine tuning for Dublin next Monday. And today I got out for a handy 45 minutes again with JF. Was nice to clear the head this morning as we ran along the promenade... Heres hoping I can get back training again - If Franz allows me to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Congrats S - enjoy the midnight runs !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Congrats man, that's great news. See you in 18 years! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats! Time to put on that PaddyPower wager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Congrats, just to let you know I get out running more now with two small ones than I ever did without them, all not lost!!

Congratulations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

congratulations

Thur 22/10 - 35 mins
    Fri 23/10 -35 mins
    Sat 24/10 - 40 mins

Managed to keep myself ticking over this week getting out when I could. The wee man takes up a fair whack of my time but at least Ive an understanding wife who doesn't mind me sneaking out for a run here and there pacman.gifWill hope to get a long run in today and maybe introduce a bit of speed next week..

Mon 26/10 - 58 mins run with 2 at 6 15 pace!

Ran from Lansdowne road and alon the marathon route going reverse ways. Weather was **** but I was excited to see and cheer on the racers. Managed to see the lead lads at UCD flyover followed by Sean Hehir a bit back. Headed up Fosters avenue where numerous people told me I was running the wrong way!! Anyways I ran down heartbreak hill and back up it(its actually very short!) heading back to the motorway. At this stage I paced up and down waiting for teammate CD and latched on behind him for 2 miles :-) So not a bad run atall!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Congrats on little Franz, the best 12 months of your life so far is ahead of you :) Maybe little Franz and Eliud Too's imminent arrival will be involved in some future epic battles?!

Update.

Have been busy with work, moving house to Eastwall and little Franz lately but have gotten out on some runs..

Sat 31 Oct - 45 mins handy

Tues 3 Nov - 50 mins including 5 x 800m(trail). Did this alone in SM park trail before heading back to Eastwall. Didn't time the 800m's but it felt tough adjusting to the pace. Got a bit of slagging from the local Eastwall teenagers 20 yards from home which soured an otherwise decent session! Glad to get something done anyways.

Wed 4 Nov - 45 mins run. Headed from Eastwall to Irishtown park and on to the nature reserve before heading to work along the canal. Cycled home that evening so some cross training done biggrin.png

Need to get consistent again, build up the strength, speed and endurance. More or less I need to build up everything again!

Thursday 5/11/14 - 57 mins run

At last a little consistency! Headed from work out to Sandymount promenade and home to Eastwall. Getting some cross training in aswell with cycling to work/running home and vice versa..

• Advertisement

Thursday 5/11/14 - 57 mins run

At last a little consistency! Headed from work out to Sandymount promenade and home to Eastwall. Getting some cross training in aswell with cycling to work/running home and vice versa..

Fri 6/7 - 47 mins
    Sat 7/7 - 2.5k wu; 3 × 2.5k; 5k wd

Headed out to meet da Cru at the acres this morning. Conditions were terrible and without spikes I couldn't hot the hills with the others. So I opted for the 2.5k acre lap. A long no man's land of monotony which happened to be slippy in parts and windy down 1 side. At least I wasn't being pulled along by the others and kept my own pace. Hit an 8 42; 8 38 and 8 50. Ok splits on the grass considering the conditions. The slow process of gaining fitness again has begun..

Sun 8/11/15 - 90 mins lsr

Met up with KU and CD in miserable conditions in SM park. All the way out to Blackrock we were met with a headwind and belting rain. Completely soaked through but felt grand on the turn around. Back in SM park and KU headed on to Rathmines. So me and CD took in a loop of Irishtown park before I headed on my merry way along the liffey before turning right at the shell of the new central bank and on to Eastwall. Really enjoyed the hot shower, tea and apple cake when I got home :D So a decent week of training, hoping I can keep it going and maybe get back to the track on Tuesday; I havent been there all year!

Mon 9/11 and Tue 10/11 - rest
    Wed 11/11 - 2m wu; 10 x 400; 2m wd(90 SR and 400s done on pitches)

Headed out to the GAA pitches and met up with JF who paced me for these. The conditions were windy enough in that there was a 4 second difference between running a 400 one way and back again. My initial plan was 12 of em but after 3 I knew I was struggling. Managed to flog 8 and was spent. JF convinced me to get another 2 under the belt. Overall the reps varied from 72 to 76 seconds. Not too bad considering the conditions, my new heavier shoes which I reckon were worth a second and that it was all on grass. But the body was shocked tonight into the world of speed, I haven't done 400's in ages so it'll take a few sessions to feel comfortable doing these..

Thur 12/11 AM - 46 mins run
    Thur 12/11 PM - 45 mins run (including 15 mins at tempo)
    Friday 13/11 - 45 mins

**** conditions yesterday for running in. My tempo bit was on the SM park trail in the dark with a fierce headwind in 1 direction. Glad to get 2 runs in Thursday anyways seen as I missed Tuesday. Slowly literally Im getting there..!

PS look out for the inter clubs XC in 2035; my little fella has long skinny legs just like his old man :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Just catching up on your news - dunno how I missed it between here and the club. Big congrats and enjoy - gonna be a very happy Christmas for you.

• Advertisement

Sat 15/11 - 70 mins run including 3 x 8.5 minutes at tough enough pace
    Sun 16/11 - 109 minutes LSR

Didn't have much time on Saturday so opted not to cycle to the Phoenix park; instead it was SM park! So did my warm up getting there, still unsure of what session to do. I was tempted to just do a tempo but last minute decided to hit 8.5 minutes at pace. Basically I did the same session as last Saturday, give or take a few metres. Found it tough with the wind hitting one direction and on my back the other. Didn't take splits but the effort was there. Felt like marathon tempo pace for the whole thing(faster than marathon pace).

Today I followed the LUAS line from Spencer dock to the Phoenix park meeting with clubmate JK at the magazine fort. From there we looped the trail along the wall. Conditions were slippy and muddy in parts. From there I headed back home along the tracks!

Just catching up on your news - dunno how I missed it between here and the club. Big congrats and enjoy - gonna be a very happy Christmas for you.

Yeah its all change for me with the little fella but its good that Im still out running. Another month of training should have me in decent shape for racing again.

Should be a happy Christmas, the inlaws will be over from Germany so a busy house!

The last 2 weeks

The past 2 weeks have been mad with work and baby but I have gotten out for a few runs including a couple of long runs. Will be busy this week but would be hoping to get some sort of speed training done..

Wed 2/12/15 - AM 40 mins; PM 40 mins

Decided to commute to work via Irishtown park and SM park. Nothing much to report except that the am run was done with a heavy bag on the back!

Thur am - 15 minute commute run; pm - 50 min run
    Fri am - 15 min commute run; pm - 15 min commute run

Sat 5/12/15 - 25 min wu; 24 x 200m hill strides(50 secs downhill jog rec); 25 min wd (90 mins total)

Decided to get some quality in at last and aim for 20 hill reps on the nature reserve hill. The weather was awful so I reckoned that there wouldnt be many people getting in my way. On the warm up out to the reserve I felt starved which more than likely meant dehydrated to stopped off at the GAA club for a sup of water. From there it was onwards towards the hills.

The hill itself levels raises 3 times and levels off twice on the way so you can actually feel the tiredness on the flat part! The first few were grand. I was catching my breath on the 50 second warm down back to the bottom. I found it tough to get 10 done and at that stage didnt think 20 was on the cards. But how and ever, I took em 1 at a time and got 15 chalked off. From here I mentally told myself that I only need to do 5 hill strides and it would be no bother. Come the 17th, I could feel it in the glutes and by the 20th the hams were working.

That was job done but to put some icing on the cake I blasted another couple. The legs were shaking a little at this point but I was ok. 23 reps done now, but thats too random a number to do so I decided on a 24th!!! The last one was tough as the hams was straining and the leg shakes didnt go. So I decided to call it quits on that and run home to Eastwall. Not an enjoyable run home as I was tired and hungry at this stage.

Overall Im happy out with the session. I purposely didnt time the reps as I didnt want to feel downbeat at slower times and quit early. In hindsight an enjoyable session. 90 minutes total running so thats endurance ticked off; 24 times up and down a 200m hilly stretch so thats strength ticked off; 24 times at a stride pace for 200m so thats speed ticked off :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement