Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 2.30 marathon? Suits you sir!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Sun 6/12/15

100 min lsr

Route took me out to Bull island and on to St Anne's park for a nice scenic run. Gotta mix up the routes once in a while!

Mon 7/12 - off
    Tue 8/12 - off
    Wed 9/12 - 15 mins run
    Thur 10/12 - 15 mins am; 45 mins pm
    Fri 11/12 - 15 mins am; 15 mins pm
    Sat 12/12 - 25 mins wu; 4 x 1.07k(90 sec rec); 2 x (5 x 200m hill strides w 50 sec jog down rec)

Not much running this week because of work but it got better as the week went on. Had a hard session this morning in the pissing rain. I ran to SM park where I still wasnt sure what session would come about. Once there I decided on 1k reps. I started at the beginning of the nature reserve and ran hard for around 3 mins 18 secs until I came to a signpost in SM park. I was wrecked after only 1! But luckily I just gmapped it and the length was 1.07k :rolleyes:

The second rep was a bit quicker as I was running with an ever so slight downhill in 1 part of the stretch. This was a killer; I didnt realise how tough speed sessions were! Going back the way I came on the 3rd rep my legs were like jelly but I kept it going without looking too much at splits. At this stage I decided 4 was enough for todays session. So I gave it a nice welly back towards the reserve splashing through puddled and generally relieved that Id be finished. Once I got there I caught my breath, took a 3 minute break and made a rash decision...

I hit 200m(210m to be exact) hill stride reps. Managed 5 of em with a 50 second jog down before taking a 3 minute jog and hitting another 5 x 200m hill strides. From there I ran another 30 minutes for my warm down. Legs were shaking by the time I got home!!

So got some decent speed endurance at last and a bit of strength work from the hills. Happy enough with the session but it'll take some gard work to get used to running fast again..

Sun 13/12/15 -1 hour 46 mins lsr

Met up with CD and the 2 of us took in a few loops of SM park before heading out towards Seapoint. The weather was pretty grim but at least there was no wind. In Blackrock park we were greeted by 3 lads who were obviously out for the McGregor fight and were still on the tear! They looked worse for wear but at least gave us high 5's :pac:

From there we continued on to Seapoint where a jack russell tried to nipa t my heels!! After a quick shout he backed away. On the way back to Blackrock park the 3 lads were walking back towards us with bottles of Corona:confused: Not quite Corona weather, maybe they thought they were in Vegas, who knows:D They gave us some encouragement as we passed. Better than aggressive drunks anyways! Eventually we made it to Irishtown park where we went our seperate ways and I headed back over the Eastlink to the Northside.

So all in all a decent weekend of training. Now I need to follow up with decent midweek training! Also a big congrats to Caroline Crowley who did club and country proud by coming 23rd in the Europeans. Real motivation for me to get back doing the hard stuff(and not avoiding it!)..

Tue 29/12/15 - 15 mins run and 45 min run
    Wed 30/12/15 - 55 min wu; 28 mins tempo; 9 min wd
    Thur 31/12/15 - 90 mins run
    Fri 1/1/15 - 50 mins run

Over the Christmas I have been doing bits and bobs of running, usually 3 to 4 day weeks. Did a 3 x 10 min tempo in that time. This week however I have gotten some consistency at last. The 28 min tempo was very enjoyable. Ran out with a team mate to sea point dart station, and with the wind on my back hammered it back in! 28 minutes clicked o my watch and I was just shy of the East link toll!! Thursday was a run out to St Annes park with same team mate, doing a loop of the park and heading back in.

I hope to do a session on Saturday that's faster than tempo pace. Might hit the Dublin masters but I know Im not in the shape Id like to be. Still, I'll put it down as a fitness rebuilding session! Still need to nail down some races to aim for this year. I may do a marathon at some stage..

Sat 2/1/16 - 4.2m wu; 3 x 1.6m(90 sec rec); 4.2m wd

Decided on running out from Eastwall to the acres this morning with the intention of doing hills. But something told me that the hills might be in bits after the last month of sh1t weather. True enough, when I got there, it looked like a mini stream coming down and sloppy terrain. So I opted for loops of the Acres.

By the time I got there(baby stuff to do!), the others were started so I did this alone. I felt good as I laced up my new Nike spikes, it felt like Christmas :D. So I headed off. My pace was a tad harder effort than tempo pace but due to the conditions the speed was probably the same!! I ran on feel as I slopped through the mud. There wasnt much wind thankfully but at least 75% of the loop was a mess; real strength work. The first 1.6 mile ended up 9 05 - slow compared to an 8 17 I hit in a previous life!! Then again, that was in warm conditions on solid surface.

I started on the 2nd loop after 90 seconds. Surprisingly my glutes and legs felt fine(probably from carrying around the baby who's pushing a stone now :D). The only issue was the breathing as my lungs were working harder. I guess my fitness is a little off but that will come back to me in time. So I plodded on through the saturated grass and mud, almost losing a spike on the way. Rep 2 was 9 minutes.

At last I was on the last rep and 3/4's of the way around my legs began to feel it. Though they werent like jelly or anything. I pushed a little at the end finishing in 8 56. Not great splits but it feels good to finish the final rep the fastest. In those conditions, 30 seconds could easily be lost. So a nice week of training, hopefully I lose that heavy stomach I gained over the festive season!!

Sun 3/1/15 - 2 hours lsr(with 6 miles at 6 27 pace)

An easy 90 minute run turned into a 2 hour session as me and 2 lads head out to Seapoint. But the lads wanted to keep going so I decided to go with. We ended up at the 40 foot before turning back. One of the lads was doing a marathon pace session so we upped the pace for the next 6 miles. On the way a boy racer decided to get into the bus lane in order to soak us! I got the brunt and was soaked from top to bottom; it was literally a dirty wave hitting me :eek: This got my adrenalin going but soon after I tired. I had to work to get as far as the eastlink toll; here one of the lads went his own way and I jogged home. As soon as I lowered the pace I realised that I was wrecked. Getting home I couldnt stop eating!!! Still a good session. I'll be easy running during the week and doing my first race this Sunday. Might be a little rusty but I may as well jump in the deep end :)

Mon 4/1/16 - rest
    Tue 5/1/16 - 15 mins AM; 45 mins PM
    Wed 6/1/16 - 16 mins wu; 3 x 8 mins tempo(1 min jog rec); 16 mins wd
    Thur 7/1/15 - 15 mins AM; 50 mins PM
    Fri 8/1/15 - 45 mins

Starting to get some decent running at last. Wednesdays session was tough, yet enjoyable. Down to do the Dublin Masters XC this Sunday but I reckon Im not where Id like to be to compete in this. Still, it will be good training and hopefully I can finish in a decent position..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck Moorsey. Good to see you back in action. Hopefully make it out to support.

Wed 13/1/16 - 41 mins run to work

The last few days havent seen much running due to baby being a bit sick. That meant missing Sundays race! Luckily all is good now and Im out running again. Great view of Dublin bay this morning as the sun rose over the sea.

Plan on doing a tempo later after work just to keep er lit..:D

Wed 13/1/16 - PM - 15 mins wu; 30 mins tempo and 15 mins wd
    Thur 14/1/16 - AM - 17 mins
    Thur 14/1/16 - PM - 60 mins
    Friday 15/1/16 - AM - 16 mins

Still feeling Wednesdays session in the legs but hopefully it should be ok for training tomorrow. 30 mins at tempo felt good and a confidence booster for any races that will come up. Trying to get back into the swing of things now, hopefully I keep it going! Might do the National Masters XC in a few weeks with a bit of luck. I really need a race at this stage as I havent done one since the marathon!!

• Advertisement

Sat 16/1/16 - 4.2m wu; 3 x 1.6m; 4.2m wd
    Sun 17/1/16 - 2 hours 6 mins lsr

Had a solid weekend of training. Did Saturdays session on the acres loop sticking to the grass. Terrain was frosty and firm with 30 metres of slop. 2 weeks ago I averaged 9 minutes in muddy conditions; yesterday I was hitting 8 27 to 8 30! So I great confidence booster, which suggests I'll go low 8 in the Summer biggrin.png

Today I met clubmate JK in the acres. So I left Eastwall and followed the Luas track to the meeting point. We did 1 acres loop followed by a loop of the park. Passed by a serious group including Mick Clohessy. So we sped up a little to give the impression we were serious runners! After that I headed back home along the Luas line getting funny stares from the commuters waiting for their tram smile.png

On a side note Im booked in to do the National Masters. Should be a good training session and nice to at last get a race in the legs.

Mon 18/1/16 - Rest
    Tue 19/1/16 - 15 mins wu; 30 mins Tempo; 15 mins wd
    Wed 20/1/16 - AM - 41 mins run

Legs a little tired from the weekends action but I otherwise felt good on the Tuesday Tempo. Kept it all on pitches and trail in SM park.

Wed 20/1/16 - PM - 24 mins run home
    Thur 21/1/16 - AM - 60 mins run

Was out the door early for my hour commute to work. Usually I'll either head up Clontarf way or Sandymount way to kill the time but I decided on a different route; the Docklands. I actually was excited running past all the chemical plants, container yards, shipping companies etc! Managed to get to Irish Ferries before turning back and heading to work via Irishtown and the canal. Definitely a bleak run if done every day, but a nice novelty this morning :pac:

Fri 22/01/16 - AM - 16 mins commute to work; PM - 52 mins run

Kept the miles ticking over yesterday with a run out along the promenade and back home. Took today off just to have the legs rested for tomorrow. Looking forward to the Masters race, I know it'll be fairly loaded a the front. Hopefully they can drag me around at a decent pace and I acquit myself well. First race since September so Im not expecting to be 100% but I'll give it my best shot!

Sat 23/1/16 - off
    Sun 24/1/16 - National Masters XC
    Mon 25/1/16 - am 16 mins; pm 16 mins
    Tue 26/1/16 - 15 min wu; 4 x 800m(90 sr); 15 min wd
    Wed 27/1/16 - 50 mins

I had high expectations on the National Masters thinking I may get a top 5 position. But sometimes expectations and reality are not quite the same. On my warm up I developed a little stitch which got me a little worried. Once I toed the line, I looked around and seen a huge field of runners, maybe 240! The pace once the gun went off was hot as I went with the leaders. The course was 7k over 4 laps. But it was a mud bath from the start! At one stage I was 3rd but after a lap my legs were like lead. This was a day for the strong runners. In the space of 10 minutes I had dropped a fair few places. I thought about dropping out at the halfway point, my back muscles aching(probably from holding my 3 month old son!). Then my stomach felt crampy, Id say the body was thinking WTF!!!

It was clear I had under estimated the other runners and over estimated my fitness. Lads who Im near over the road started to pass me and before I knew it, I was in 23rd! My heart sank as my feet sank into the mud, this was one tough swampy course. I lost another 2 places. Then a 3rd. But I held onto the 3rd lad who was from Donore and passed him with a half lap to go. I just about held him off on the finishing straight to claim 25th spot.

Initially I was gutted but in reality I was only 1 min 40 secs off the leader and the standard was pretty savage. After that I watched the National intermediates. Based on their finish times I would have been in the top 20 at least so both races were a similar standard. So I reckon theres a hidden good result there :D

On Tuesday I decided to join up with the group who train at lunch in SM park. There were a few decent heads there so I joined in with 1 of em for a few 800's. My legs were still knackered from Sunday so I pulled the plug after 4, the last rep being the fastest at 2 32. Though this was on grass and with a strong wind. So now just keeping it ticking until Raheny on Sunday. Havent done a 5 mile road race in a while so I'll see where I really stand there!!

28th Jan til now (13/2/16)

Havent updated my log in a while but I have been training!!! Due to work and the little fella, Ive not been 100% consistent averaging 5 days a week. Hit the Tuesday SM park group a couple of times and did 4 x 1 mile reps. Really enjoyed this though its a tight squeeze at lunch. Managed also to get out to do the Garda BHAA XC. I came 6th overall but was happy enough with the performance. One lad in our club is flying at the moment and came 10t in the Novice. I was only 12 seconds behind which is decent for me. I can hopefully keep pushing on from this. Also had a 2 hour run last Sunday with 2 of the lads going from Eastwall to Sandymount, Blackrock, around UCD and back to Eastwall via Sandymount. This week I havent done too much so need to get the finger out from tomorrow on!!

From Feb to now..

Havent done a lot of training due to crazy work commitments, literally mad hours, weekends, bank holidays etc!!!:eek: But in between Ive gotten out here and there for small easy runs. But today I decided to try and train no matter what, get up early etc and train around work. So today I did..

4.25 miles wu; 6 miles continuous hilly loop; 4.25 miles wd

The loop involved was the Munich mile in the Phoenix park. Conditions were wet and a little windy but not the worst. Realistically I knew my fitness must have declined a bit so I was expecting maybe 6 minute pace. So I got going at what I felt was a tempo pace and I felt good for the first bit as I headed down the gully. This then followed the long uphill into the forest before the drawl up to the flat for the loop to start again. On the 3rd rep I began to feel it on the lungs so tried to run more relaxed. I was tempted to do just 4 but once 4 were done I hit a 5th.

I looked at the watch for the first time as I finished off the 5th rep and it was 28 50 something!! Happy days Im working hard and keeping the pace down. So I kept going for a 6th and final mile. It was tough but I got through in 34 23!! Really happy that I bust out that sort of session and averaging less than 5 45 on that hilly wet route. Now I hope to keep training going regardless of work(and maybe keep an eye out for other less stressful jobs :D)

Sun 3 Apr 2106 - 100 mins lsr

The wee man waking early this morning ensured Id be wandering around the house like a zombie all day. With the weather being bad aswell, the ingredients were there for a day off. But after yesterdays decent session I decided to get off my ass and head out the door.

My route took me along Clontarf promenade and along the length of Dollymount promenade. The sky and sea both had a grey appearance which made for a depressing run. Near the half way turnaround point my left glute spasmed and the net result was a really sore left knee from a tightened ITB.

I needed to stop twice and stretch on the way home. So I need to role my ITB and glute to loosen up and also try and strengthen the area - something I havent really addressed over the years! Still, at least I know what the problem is and I can address.. Still happy I got 100 minutes done!

The last while..

Well I havent updated in absolutely ages! Between work, being a parent and other random stuff, my training had nosed dived. Last week I decided to nip this in the bud and make an effort to train around all the other non running stuff(mainly runs in the morning before work).

So last week I did 3 x 2k in Trinity at lunch, 2 x 10 mins tempo on Thursday, 5 x 1k on Saturday and 100 mins LSR Sunday. All with handy running in between. Saturday was a great session as I hung on to another lad who I thought would drop me after the 3rd k rep. But I hung in there and he only dropped me in the 5th final rep towards the end. I was over the moon with that session as it had been a while since I tore it at 1k pace.

This week has been mileage with 2 x 15 minutes Tempo on Wednesday. Tomorrow I hope to do k reps again along with a long run Sunday :) So its back training again with an aim for a half marathon. Im torn between Charleville and Dublin half's.. Convenience versus a fast course!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

If you can get down to charleville it will be well worth it. Ran it last year and loved it. Maybe put off entering and see what sort of shape you are in! Charleville will probably require an overnight stay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

smmoore79 wrote: »
    The last while..

Well I havent updated in absolutely ages! Between work, being a parent and other random stuff, my training had nosed dived. Last week I decided to nip this in the bud and make an effort to train around all the other non running stuff(mainly runs in the morning before work).

So last week I did 3 x 2k in Trinity at lunch, 2 x 10 mins tempo on Thursday, 5 x 1k on Saturday and 100 mins LSR Sunday. All with handy running in between. Saturday was a great session as I hung on to another lad who I thought would drop me after the 3rd k rep. But I hung in there and he only dropped me in the 5th final rep towards the end. I was over the moon with that session as it had been a while since I tore it at 1k pace.

This week has been mileage with 2 x 15 minutes Tempo on Wednesday. Tomorrow I hope to do k reps again along with a long run Sunday :) So its back training again with an aim for a half marathon. Im torn between Charleville and Dublin half's.. Convenience versus a fast course!!

Thats decent quality training , you must be in reasonable nick, will you race over the summer

If you can get down to charleville it will be well worth it. Ran it last year and loved it. Maybe put off entering and see what sort of shape you are in! Charleville will probably require an overnight stay.

Yeah, I havent booked yet but it'll be something to train for regardless. Don't think I'll follow a specific plan, just keep the mileage high and hit my sessions consistently!

youngrun wrote: »
    Thats decent quality training , you must be in reasonable nick, will you race over the summer

Reasonable nick but definitely the sharper speed id lacking. No plans yet but I'll have a think. Away in Germany for 2 weeks from July 20th so I think I miss a couple of good races in that time frame. Maybe I'll check out local races over there!

Sat 2/7/16 - 4.25m wu; 5 x 1k; 5m wd
    Sun 3/7/16 - 105 mins lsr

Did the Saturday reps in the Phoenix park around the acres. Started off slow for the first in 3 18. KU jumped in at the second rep as he was only doing 4 at a faster pace. From then on I was dragged by him around, though Id drift halfway through the rep! I was hitting 3 09's while he was hitting much closer to 3's. Happy enough, though Im still rusty on the speed. It'll come eventually :D

Sunday was spent looping round Ringsend park, SM park and the nature reserve with CD. Felt tired for the first 30 minutes but loosened up and felt good thereafter.

Overall a solid weekend of training. Will need to keep her lit though if Im to get in good shape..

Mon 4/7/16 - AM 17 mins easy; PM 17 mins easy
    Tue 5/7/16 - 1m wu; 3 x 2k; 1m wd - all on trinity track grass lap

This was one of those sessions where I felt I was starting to improve a little. There was a big Trinity group getting ready, but I didnt really recognise any of em. Luckily a team mate from the Cru turned up - Br. So we set off. I found the first rep really tough and I clung on for 6 40. It did take a lot from me so now it was tops off to try and keep cool!

I tucked in and let Br lead off. Mentally I found it tough counting off the 5 loops to get the 2k done. So I had to tell myself to just do 2 x 1k and see how I felt. Managed to cling on. When we stopped my head was spinning :eek: Luckily there was a 90 second recovery and I composed myself for another rep.

The last one was torture. Br lead off and I tranced out following his footsteps a metre behind. If I could get 2.5 loops then that would be 5k and Id be happy out. So 2.5 loops came and I was still hanging on. 3 loops now gone and 2 to go. I thought about dropping off and hitting a slightly slower pace. But decided to keep with him for 4 loops. Somehow Id gotten to 4 loops and with 1 loop left I just dug deep, battling my mind more than anything to keep the pace.

Really happy with the session. Splits were 6 40; 6 35; 6 30!!!! Not bad considering it was on grass - albeit well cut grass you could eat yer dinner off!! Br seemed less wrecked than me, but Im happy that I pushed myself hard today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Sat 2/7/16 - 4.25m wu; 5 x 1k; 5m wd

Thought I spotted you Saturday morning. Seen you jogging down the Khyber.

Thought I spotted you Saturday morning. Seen you jogging down the Khyber.

I thought that might have been you but I wasnt sure as you were a bit away! That was the start of my long warm down back to Eastwall :)

Wed 6/7/16 - AM - 55 minutes;
    (PM will be 18 mins run)

Ran out to the chimneys this morning with my heavy bag of work crap. Took the legs 10 minutes to loosen but after that I felt ok. The weather was perfect out by the bay; it was almost like those runs ya do when on holidays :D Bumped into a clubmate and chatted all the way back to SM park!

This evening I'll do my usual 18 minute run home which will bring my mileage up nicely :pac:

Thursday 7/7/16 - 53 mins(including 25 mins tempo)

The little fella woke me early so I had time to get a decent run in. My mind was debating whether to put this session off until after work but that would mean less recovery time between now and Saturdays session. So I shuffled out to Ringsend park to get this done and dusted.

The park was nice and quiet so I dropped the bag by the goal posts and upped the pace to tempo. Initially Id planned 20 straight but come 15 mins in I Thought I could handle another 10 minutes :) So ignored the watch and looped around the park for another while until the clock hit the magic 25 mark! Didnt have satellite connection so Im guessing the pace was between 5 45 and 6.

After that it was a run to work heading through Ringsend and down Pearse street until I reached Leeson street. Job done!

Fri 8/7/16 - 45 mins easy

Still find it hard to get the energy going for these morning runs. Was out the door at 7.45 and on the road. The legs were low on energy for the first half but eventually my breakfast kicked in and I felt grand for the 2nd half! Route took me from Eastwall over the Eastlink bridge for a nice port view, Ringend park, SM park, nature reserve for some nice bay views and then turning towards the city passing my old apartment on Lansdowne road. Kinda sad, as its been completely knocked along with the Clyde hotel. I guess thats progress though!!

Will finish off today with a 17 minute commute home and then look forward to my weekend sessions :)

• Advertisement

Sat 9/7/16 - 4.25m wu; 6 x 1m hilly; 4.25m wd
    Sun 10/7/16 - 105 min lsr

Saturday was a weird one. Turned up without my watch so needed to run on feel unless someone else turned up running at my pace. Once ready, me and 2 lads took off. I ran the first very comfortably and was a good 12 seconds ahead of the lads. This opened to 45 after 2. Started to tire a little after the third but I was still hitting some nice pace up and down the magazine hills.

Just before the 4th rep, an American guy turns up and asks if he can jump into the session. One of the lads asked was he any good to which he mentioned being on his college cross country team. "Jump in with Mooresy there" one of the lads suggested :eek: So I took off with him just behind. The fear of him hammering me drove me up the gully. I looked back and he was dropping a little. By the time rep 4 was complete I was a chunk ahead, phfeew!

Rep 5 and the legs were tiring but I pressed on was 40 secs ahead of the Yank by the end. Then he just disappeared! I ground the poor chap down:pac: So I ran controlled and not worrying about pace for the final rep. I must have been 3 minutes ahead of the 2 lads. Not sure of the pace but probably 5 30's.

Sunday was a great day for a run. I headed out from Eastwall and did a loop of the Phoenix park. From the main gate I decided to loop clockwise towards Kyber road and out to the Furry glen. Normally Id run the opposite direction hitting Ashtown first, but I was in a quirky mood!! Most runners seemed to be coming towards me so it was nice to give them the runners :rolleyes: nod Looped past Farmleigh and on to Castleknock gate. From there I pushed on to Ashtown and the zoo. Normally this is a depressing stretch but goin against the grain it felt different, with the sun in my eyes. I was actually enjoying this part of the run! From there I pushed on home along the Luas line.

So a decent weekend of running and slowly Im getting back!

Mon 11/7/16 - AM 17 mins easy; PM - 17 mins easy
    Tue 12/7/16 - 1m wu; 8 x 800m; 1m wd

Got this done in Trinity at lunch today. Me and a lad from Portlaoise paced off each other so it kept me in the slight discomfort zone!! The hips felt tired from the weekend as I kept pace with him. But come the 7th rep he tired and I paced him round slowing a small bit on the 2nd 400m so he'd keep in touch. On the last rep I ran at my own pace as the hips burnt and lungs started to burn. I ended up 10 seconds ahead of the Portlaoise lad which was a surprise as I was convinced he'd burn me on the 5th!

Overall the reps were high 2 20's/low 2 30's on grass you could eat yer dinner off :D So happy enough with splits. All these sessions recently are slowly getting me back in shape. Will have to hit a race soon, maybe in August with the half marathon in September on the cards..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

You are in pretty good nick for someone who hasnt done much, surely a good ten k in you somewhere this month?

youngrun wrote: »
    You are in pretty good nick for someone who hasnt done much, surely a good ten k in you somewhere this month?

No planned this month as will be off to Germany on the 20th for 2 weeks. Would love to race over there for the craic but I couldnt find anything in the Saxony region.

Wed 13/7/15 - AM - 50 mins run
    Planned PM - 20 mins run home

Keeping the miles ticking along. Route out to SM park and the nature reserve. Yes, Im a one trick pony :P

The last while..

Well Ive been away in Germany eating like a lord and generally not running much :mad: But Im back in Ireland now and yesterday finally got out for my first run in 2 weeks. Just a 90 minute handy one out to the Phoeno and back - but its a start. This year has been so stop and start but I deffo want to get back into consistently training..

Mon 8 Aug 16 - AM 18 mins, PM 30 mins
    Wed 10 Aug 16 - AM 50 mins, planned PM 18 mins

Slowly stuttering back into the running game. The legs felt bashed from Sundays run so I took Tuesday off. Felt fresher today on my run out to the nature reserve, my mind contemplating whether Id ever get back to my former running glories?!?!?

Thur 11 Aug 2016 - 12 min wu; 30 min tempo; 18 min wd

Got this done and dusted before work. Was looping around Ringsend park for this one when my garmin turned off coz of low battery so I estimated the last 10 mins of the tempo. Had to bomb back to the goal posts where I left my bag at the 25 minute mark due to a corpo worker heading towards my bag with the intention of binning it!! After that it was a warm down to work.

The right knee feels a bit achy below the cap. Even sitting here when I move it I can feel a dull ache. Will have to watch that; an injury is the last thing I need!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I'm impressed that you can get a tempo in before work. I tried it one morning (albeit at 5.30-6.30 in the morning) and never again. Was still half asleep and it was so slow starting out

Have you any races planned for once you get back in to the swing of things?

I'm impressed that you can get a tempo in before work. I tried it one morning (albeit at 5.30-6.30 in the morning) and never again. Was still half asleep and it was so slow starting out

Have you any races planned for once you get back in to the swing of things?

Yeah, it took me a few minutes to acclimatize but wasnt too bad in the end. Havent had the time to look into races, have done 1 XC this year back in January :eek: I'll keep training anyways and hopefully I'll get a race in soon..

• Advertisement

Fri 12 Aug 16 - 45 mins run, + planned 18 minute run home later!

Sluggish was the word to describe this one but at least its done and dusted!

Sat 13 Aug 16 - 4.25m wu, 6 x 1m hilly, 4.25m wd
    Sun 14 Aug 16 - Off
    Mon 15 Aug 16 - AM 25 mins, PM 25 mins
    Tue 16 Aug 16 - Off
    Wed 17 Aug 16 - 12 mins wu, 30 mins Tempo, 18 mins wd + planned 17 min run later

Saturday was a good session but I think I went to the well on this one as my lower legs were tired and tight up until yesterday! Still my splits were good - 5 30, 5 23, 5 24, 5 27, 5 29, 5 35. 2nd rep was my fastest, probably the fastest mile rep hilly Ive run all year. Though I gradually got slower. Having said that, I would have taken 6 x 5 35's before hand :D

Today I got up at 7 and out the door by half. Felt a bit of morning lead feet but not enough to put me off doing a tempo. Looped around Ringsend park for 30 minutes before heading on to work.

Thur 18 Aug 16 - 50 mins AM run and planned 17 min PM run

A miserable morning for a run compounded with a sore knee! I woke up in the middle of the night and my lower right knee was really sore. When I straightened the leg, it eased so I nodded off again. It doesnt feel sore when I run and feel ok now, but when I press below the kneecap it feels sore. Not sure what it is, hope it goes eventually!

The last while..

I have been commuting to work without actually hitting any speed/tempo sessions. So needless to say the fitness is lacking at this stage. But I do have a reason! The last while I have been planning a move to Berlin with the wife and kid. Gonna live there for a year or more hopefully:D So I'll be looking for any tips for running over there including athletics clubs that are English language friendly!

At least last Saturday I decided to do 5 miles hilly continuous at tempo pace. It felt good to tip around at pace, even if alone.

Mon 10 Oct 16 - 45 mins easy
    Tue 11 Oct 16 - 18 mins easy
    Wed 12 Oct 16 - 45 mins including 8 x 400

Decided that Id head to Ringsend park this morning and test my lungs a bit. I didnt bother with exact distance, but rather I ran to 75 seconds around the pitches. Hopefully thats in and around 400m but either way today was all about effort. My lungs were working beyond the call of duty and the glute muscles weakened a little. 8 was plenty for now!

Still, this morning was a nice reality check and shows what I need to do to get sharp again. Im thinking long term here but I might try and go for Berlin next year, something to aim for!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cool. We'll all have a place to stay next September. :) Make sure to spend some time checking out the good drinking spots and have a list of restaurants and boozers ready! Best of luck with the move. Hope you check-in on the log, so we can keep up to date!

Cool. We'll all have a place to stay next September. :) Make sure to spend some time checking out the good drinking spots and have a list of restaurants and boozers ready! Best of luck with the move. Hope you check-in on the log, so we can keep up to date!

With a 1 year old kid in toe, it may be tricky checking out all the cool beer spots, but I'll try and hit some :) I'll be sure to check in on the log, plenty of nice running spots in Berlin to keep the training log going!

The last while - again!!

I've been running on off just barely ticking along. Planning this Berlin move and taking care of a baby are really eating into my time! 2 Saturdays ago I did 6 continuous Munich reps at tempo pace. Since then, 20 min to 50 min runs not quite every day.

Yesterday morning I got up early and headed to SM park. WIthout the stop watch I did 6 x 800m on grass with 1 minute recovery. Was a decent session with the lungs burning and the legs getting jelly like near the end. All in all a good session that lasted 1 hour total with WU and WD.

Today I got 45 mins easy into work so Im on a roll at the minute :-)

Fri 28/10/16 - 20 mins easy

Just a commute to work. Will do the same later after work...

• Advertisement

Sat 29 - Mon 31 Oct 2016 - Nothing :-(

Tue 1 Nov - 18 min AM run and 30 min PM run
    Wed 2 Nov - 70 mins total including 12 x 400m with 40 secs rec/PM run of 18-20 minutes

The weekend was a disaster for me with no running whatsoever. So yesterday I resolved to get it together and headed out for a nice evening run.

This morning I continued on from Tuesday with a warm up from Eastwall to SM park. Here I hit 400's without timing them. It was absolute torture! I almost gave up after 5 but perservered to somehow get 12 done. The last 5 were shuffles Id say :D All of this was done on wet grass round the pitches so it was a little slippy at times. Happy enough though. Gonna jog another 20 mins home later.

In order to give myself an aim with running, I decided to enter the Berlin Marathon next year!! Ive already booked a place on the fast runners section(pending them reviewing my Oslo 2015 result!). Im gonna try and start training now with this in mind and start getting consistent again. Also I may enter the Berlin half in April as an interim goal..Bring it on!!

Also if anyone knows if there are training groups in Berlin aiming for a decent time, please let me know :pac:

Advertisement