Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 2.30 marathon? Suits you sir!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

smmoore79 wrote: »
    This week, I will be mostly runnning...........................

Mon12 Rest
    Tue13 5 mile recovery
    Wed14 5k BHAA road race at Irishtown stadium
    Thu15 10 mile aerobic (hope Im not too tired for this)
    Fri16 Rest
    Sat17 5 mile recovery
    Sun18 16 mile LSR(some miles at pmp)

According to the program, i should do 10 miles of the LSR at pmp. Though i think this is a lot.

I will deffo reduce the amount, maybe try 6 pmp's for size. But for this run should i focus on doing the pmp stage on road? Just as a psychological boost?

5 miles recovery this evening. Nice and easy around Herbert park. Rain was refreshing. Felt little bits of soreness still from Sundays LSR. Hopefully il be grand for tomorrows race..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Best of luck with race tomorrow !

Argghhhhh, Im in a bit of a predicament! I completely forgot that I entered the Adidas 5 miler in the Phoeno this Saturday. Was looking forward to it as i like to get back to the Northside to run/race and then visit the folks, keep meself rooted :rolleyes: But I also want to do tonights 5km race coz i never did 5km over road, only 5km ive done were cross country and beach. And on top of that theres the marathon training. Need to do 16 miles on Sunday with a certain amount of miles at pmp.

So should i drop the 5 miler or hope that i feel good on the Sunday after a race the day before? Or drop tonights race? Current plan is Tue Recovery run, Wed 5km race, Thur 10mile aerobic, Sat Recovery run(or Adidas 5m) and Sun 16 miles LSR with PMP's.

Very confused and not sure what i should do... advice please!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Argghhhhh, Im in a bit of a predicament! I completely forgot that I entered the Adidas 5 miler in the Phoeno this Saturday. Was looking forward to it as i like to get back to the Northside to run/race and then visit the folks, keep meself rooted :rolleyes: But I also want to do tonights 5km race coz i never did 5km over road, only 5km ive done were cross country and beach. And on top of that theres the marathon training. Need to do 16 miles on Sunday with a certain amount of miles at pmp.

So should i drop the 5 miler or hope that i feel good on the Sunday after a race the day before? Or drop tonights race? Current plan is Tue Recovery run, Wed 5km race, Thur 10mile aerobic, Sat Recovery run(or Adidas 5m) and Sun 16 miles LSR with PMP's.

Very confused and not sure what i should do... advice please!!

Im prob not the best person for advice on here but what i will say is your priority now should be for the marathon and the best training for that is PMP runs, tempo sessions and generally time on your feet with aerobic/easy runs.

IMO, you have come off the back of a very impressive 10k training plan, which has given you a good platform and base speed from which to develop over the 18week marathon training.
    i personally dont think you need a tune up race at this stage, i would save the racing to time P&D recommends.

in saying that, im thinking about an 8k race next week but for me it will be a fitness benchmark, as i havent raced in a couple of months and my speed/fitness has been reduced since then.
    but you already have the speed and the vVO2, i would just build on it with marathon related training if i were you.

i probably sound like a racing kill joy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

If it was me i would race the 5k tonight and knock the 5m on Sat on the head,do your recovery run and then have a good session Sunday.
    That way you have 4 days before your next key session.

Racing just gets in the way of your training really,but i feel we need around 3 in the build up.

you cannot do it all and it would be foolish to try.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give tonight a bash, though I have some niggles on my left side which are a minor concern at the moment so might'nt go 'full pelt'.

Have decided to use the Saturday Adidas 5 miler as a recovery run. I am due to do a 4-5 mile recovery on the Saturday and think i'll go easy around with a mate.

14th Jul BHAA 5km (actually 2.91 miles and not 3.1 miles!) road race in Irishtown/Irishtown stadium.

Decided last minute to run this as the venue is only a mile from me. Wasnt gonna do it due to a pain ive had since Sunday in the back of my leg behind the left knee. Not sure what it is but its like a numb pain when i walk. So i jogged down to the track to see if it would hold up. After a few minutes of jogging i didnt notice the pain as much.

Got to the track, registered and than had to run for the jacks (again). Really have to give my office canteen a miss, its reaking havoc on my digestive system!!! There was a good turnout for this, lots of decent looking runners so a good standard. The race did 2 loops of the track and then 3 loops of the neighbouring park and a final loop of the track. Went off at a good pace slowly overtaking a few. A fairly athletic middle aged guy kept with me. Thought he was burning out after 2 miles as his breathing was heavy. Though the opposite was the case and he powered ahead of me by about 10 metres overall which surprised me. So many turns on this course that it was hard to speed up again after every corner. didnt like the course but was nice to start in a proper athletics track.

So near the end, there was 1 guy behind me and another guy 5 metres ahead. The guy behind made a move on the track with 100m to go. Legs were hollow at this stage but Adrenalin kicked in and i powered ahead catching in guy 5m ahead of me. Just then negative thoughts krept in my mind and i eased a little near the finish and the first guy that i caught held me off by a metre. Damn, in hindsight i know i could have pipped him!! At least i didnt let the other fella take me! bet him by a few metres anyway :rolleyes: The clock said 15 mins 50 secs, but my Garmin said that only 2.91 miles were completed! 5km is 3.1 so 0.19 miles short. So realistically i should add another 45-50 seconds onto my time? Had a nice talk with the 2 fellas after, the one that held me off did Cork in 2 57 and he said that these short races are great for introducing speed into the marathon... anyways here are my splits

mile 1 5 14
    mile 2 5 35
    0.91 mile 3 5 01(0.91 miles at average 5 35 pace)

Results arent up on the website yet but I'll input later as soon as i find out...

So i know that i should have a new pb. Being conservative I'll add 50 seconds on to the fictional 0.19 miles to get a fictional pb of 16 40!!

Do fictional PB's count by the way?!?!?!?

16th overall, happy days!!!!! Still a grade 9 though. Surely Im due a bump to grade 8?!?!?!? The guy that finished just ahead is a grade 6.

http://bhaa.ie/members/app/event/index/league/6/divisioncode/B/id/6034/tag/dcc5k2010

Click the combined tab in link for results

16th overall, happy days!!!!! Still a grade 9 though. Surely Im due a bump to grade 8?!?!?!? The guy that finished just ahead is a grade 6.

http://bhaa.ie/members/app/event/index/league/6/divisioncode/B/id/6034/tag/dcc5k2010

Click the combined tab in link for results

Great run smmoore well done.
    I make it 16:52 projected finish time if you kept that pace going.
    2.91m in 15:50 is 5:26p...and then 0.19m @ 5:26p is 1:02 mins.
    Sub 17 is my target also this w/e at a 5k down here,its very annoying when you run well and the course is short/long...i had it last year at a 5k...it was only 4.6k.

Well done again.

Cheers Sosa, Was happy with my performance considering my left leg is a bit tender these days. Very frustrating to know i was potentially on for a sub 17 5k. We'll never know though!!!

Best of luck in your attempt this weekend. Hope you get that sub 17!

• Advertisement

Mon12 Rest
    Tue13 5 mile recovery
    Fri16 Rest
    Sat17 5 mile recovery
    QUOTE]

Thur 15th 10 miles aerobic

Back of left leg has been sore for a few days now. The area literally at the back of my left knee. I have a week off in the week starting 26th Jul(started my training a week early due to this week off so will be still on schedule). It cant come soon enough!!

After Wed's race my legs were tired. So much so that after 3 miles of the 10m i considered going home. Percervered though and got through the 10 miler. Legs felt hollow and jaded for most of the run. The only benefit I can think of for doing 2 hard sessions in a row is that it gets you used to pain and tiredness, something that could come in handy over the last 6 miles of the marathon!

Averaged 7 mins 31 over the whole 10 miles so happy I finished it in the end. Have a rest dat today 9thank God) and only a recovery run on Saturday. 16 miles this Sunday will be the big 1. Hope to be rested and injury free by then.

Mon12 Rest
    Tue13 5 mile recovery
    Fri16 Rest
    Sat17 5 mile recovery

Gona rest today instead of 5 miles recovery. Legs need it; plus i did an extra 2 miles on Wed getting to that BHAA race andwarming up/down. So thats my excuse for not doin it!

Have decided to do the dublin mountain plod half marathon tomorrow as part of my LSR. So will need to do 2.9 miles beforehand. Have never done a mountain run so no idea how my legs will hold up!!!

Sun 18th.. Dublin Mountain half marathon.

Was meant to do 16 miles, but opted for this instead. Figured the warm up before hand and the fact i was running up and down a mountain would be just as beneficial!!

Wasnt sure how to approach a mountain run so just went for it and see how id get on. Forgot the garmin too which could have been a blessing in disguise. Started very weel. Over the first 4/5 miles i overtook people and was handling the uphill ok. Once the race entered the woods I started to tire. The ground was like mulch from the rain the night before and i was still on an uphill ascent!! The pain in my leg muscles was excruchiating.

Eventually got outta the woods and hit the first water station. My heart nearly sank when the steward said 10km gone, 11 to go, arghhhh!!! Straight after that was another ascent to the Wicklow way. Legs were like jelly at this stage. That part of the course was so tough with the uphill and the wind added for my punishment! Tried to keep 1 of the guys ahead of me with a red top within viewing distance. But he was too quick and experienced for me to catch him. At last the down hill started but that was just as bad and the speed i was hitting really burnt my thigh muscles.

With 4 km to go, 3 people were slowly catching me including the number 1 lady who had a Sperrin mountain club top. With about 3k left 1 guy flew past me on the down hill. All i could say to him was Fair Play!! My inexperience at mountain running was taking its toll. My legs were gone but i had to keep them moving..

And keep moving I did. At last i reached Marley park and i didnt know what way to go. A steward shouted me the correct direction so i turned suddenly and whacked my side into a parked car, ouch! The leading lady came up on me but we were now on flat and this was my type of race now :rolleyes: So gave it a burst and sprinte to the finish line!

Overall I did the Dublin Mountain half in 1hr 34 mins. I was extatic about the time considering i never did a run of this type before. And then even more extatic when i found out that i came 8th from 200!! Winner was only 6 minutes ahead. A great experience on my journey to a sub 3 marathon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great run! 1'34 is respectable enough on the flat. Training must be going well.
    Sun 18th.. Dublin Mountain half marathon.

Was meant to do 16 miles, but opted for this instead. Figured the warm up before hand and the fact i was running up and down a mountain would be just as beneficial!!

Wasnt sure how to approach a mountain run so just went for it and see how id get on. Forgot the garmin too which could have been a blessing in disguise. Started very weel. Over the first 4/5 miles i overtook people and was handling the uphill ok. Once the race entered the woods I started to tire. The ground was like mulch from the rain the night before and i was still on an uphill ascent!! The pain in my leg muscles was excruchiating.

Eventually got outta the woods and hit the first water station. My heart nearly sank when the steward said 10km gone, 11 to go, arghhhh!!! Straight after that was another ascent to the Wicklow way. Legs were like jelly at this stage. That part of the course was so tough with the uphill and the wind added for my punishment! Tried to keep 1 of the guys ahead of me with a red top within viewing distance. But he was too quick and experienced for me to catch him. At last the down hill started but that was just as bad and the speed i was hitting really burnt my thigh muscles.

With 4 km to go, 3 people were slowly catching me including the number 1 lady who had a Sperrin mountain club top. With about 3k left 1 guy flew past me on the down hill. All i could say to him was Fair Play!! My inexperience at mountain running was taking its toll. My legs were gone but i had to keep them moving..

And keep moving I did. At last i reached Marley park and i didnt know what way to go. A steward shouted me the correct direction so i turned suddenly and whacked my side into a parked car, ouch! The leading lady came up on me but we were now on flat and this was my type of race now :rolleyes: So gave it a burst and sprinte to the finish line!

Overall I did the Dublin Mountain half in 1hr 34 mins. I was extatic about the time considering i never did a run of this type before. And then even more extatic when i found out that i came 8th from 200!! Winner was only 6 minutes ahead. A great experience on my journey to a sub 3 marathon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Thats a great time and placing, well done. The mountain running stuff is something very different.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Thats a great time and placing, well done. The mountain running stuff is something very different.

Yes unbelievably different. Usually im not too bad the next day after a race. this morning Im as stiff as hell!! Calves are sore, thighs and glutes all sore :rolleyes:. Id say it'll go a long way in helping me with the marathon itself...

great run! 1'34 is respectable enough on the flat. Training must be going well.

Thanks,training is going ok so far. Ive a recovery week this week where the mileage comes down. Then next week im off on holiday (have factored this into my training schedule). Then after that its back to the hard miles again :D.

thats brillient, to come within 6min of a half marathon winner! and it was your first mountain race....that will surely help in prep for the hills of dublin!

what are the hills like in DCM??? im curious to know how a sub 3 attempt in the hills of DCM would compare to a flat marathon such as berlin or something....like would a 2:55 in DCM be worth a 2:52/2:53 in berlin i wonder, or are the hills not that bad in DCM?

super race yesterday anyway, you will enjoy the recovery weeks ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Brilliant run smmoore79. I've been away from the training logs for a couple of weeks, but with that time (ahead of the runners you were) you may want to look at running a fair bit faster than sub3 in Dublin. Either way, well done on the Plod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

seanynova wrote: »
    im curious to know how a sub 3 attempt in the hills of DCM would compare to a flat marathon such as berlin or something....like would a 2:55 in DCM be worth a 2:52/2:53 in berlin i wonder, or are the hills not that bad in DCM?
    Well, because DCM is a loop, you get the benefits of the downhills as well as suffering the uphills. It really depends on whether or not you are prepared for the hills. There are really only two to speak of, but they come at tough times. At most it would only be worth 30-60 seconds to you, in Berlin. Some runners argue that the flatness of routes likes Berlin is actually more detrimental than a more irregular route, because of of repetitive stress.

Congrats on a great run smmoore79. You should really give the other IMRA races a try. I did find the Plod route quite runnable in comparison to some of the other races, so still plenty more challenges ahead.

thats brillient, to come within 6min of a half marathon winner! and it was your first mountain race....that will surely help in prep for the hills of dublin!

what are the hills like in DCM??? im curious to know how a sub 3 attempt in the hills of DCM would compare to a flat marathon such as berlin or something....like would a 2:55 in DCM be worth a 2:52/2:53 in berlin i wonder, or are the hills not that bad in DCM?

super race yesterday anyway, you will enjoy the recovery weeks ahead!

Cheers, I didnt know I had that type of race in me!!! Ive never run another marathon apart from Dublin before so I cant really compare. As Krusty said, there are 2 hills. the first aint too bad but would knock about 30 secs off if it was flat. The second comes a few miles from the end and is very tough. Depending on how you felt at that stage, it could take close to a minute off..

Congrats on a great run smmoore79. You should really give the other IMRA races a try. I did find the Plod route quite runnable in comparison to some of the other races, so still plenty more challenges ahead.

Cheers. Im still unbelievably stiff from my lower back down to my calves. Looks like i used muscles that otherwise werent used before that race!! I might give a few more mtn runs a go, but I cant imagine doing another race up mountains more difficult than the plod!!

Gona focus on marathon training from here til October. But will squeez in some BHAA runs and the Adidas series. If theres a long distance mountain run in Dublin region between now and October, I might give it a bash too...

Brilliant run smmoore79. I've been away from the training logs for a couple of weeks, but with that time (ahead of the runners you were) you may want to look at running a fair bit faster than sub3 in Dublin. Either way, well done on the Plod.

I'll be happy for sub 3 for now!! Maybe next year if all goes according to plan this year i can think of going sub 2 50 or something....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

That's two great times in those races over the past couple of weeks - the confidence must be building, and still plenty of time to improve. The holiday at this stage isn't a bad idea - if it was much later you wouldn't enjoy it.

I agree with the other posters on the Dublin Marathon. In fact, I think its considered to be a good marathon for a sub3 effort - crowds are big enough but manageable, the hills arent too bad, and the weather (at least for the last two years when I've done it - 2008&09), is ideal.

Killerz wrote: »
    That's two great times in those races over the past couple of weeks - the confidence must be building, and still plenty of time to improve. The holiday at this stage isn't a bad idea - if it was much later you wouldn't enjoy it.

I agree with the other posters on the Dublin Marathon. In fact, I think its considered to be a good marathon for a sub3 effort - crowds are big enough but manageable, the hills arent too bad, and the weather (at least for the last two years when I've done it - 2008&09), is ideal.

cheers for the info on DCM, i see your in canada! im in the 'peg at the moment...not the best place but it has to be done cos of the OH, off the vancouver and the island soon!
    TO is a good spot, was there for the G20, madness downtown, but worth seeing it anyway...

sorry smmoore79, small bit of hijacking there.

• Advertisement

Havent done a tap since Sunday. Have been unussually stiff from the waist down and have been walking around the office like John Wayne after getting off his horse!!!

Will try to get an 8 miler done and a 12 miler done this week. 12 miler will be done in the Swedish countryside so lookin forward to that! Then a week of relaxing!

HAve been a bit lazely over the last week and a half due to holidays. Got 2 runs done last Monday and Tuesday. 6 miles at 6 min 30 sec pace through the Swedish countryside, nice and scenic though it was p1ssing rain! Then 5 miles at 7 20 pace through the woods, very nice - but creapy!!

Will get back into the training plan next week. Hope the lay off from running doesnt [EMAIL="f@ck"]f@ck[/EMAIL] up my training. The plan has me down for an 18 miler on Sunday 8th Aug. Might be a bridge too far so might knock this to 16..

HAve been a bit lazely over the last week and a half due to holidays. Got 2 runs done last Monday and Tuesday. 6 miles at 6 min 30 sec pace through the Swedish countryside, nice and scenic though it was p1ssing rain! Then 5 miles at 7 20 pace through the woods, very nice - but creapy!!

Will get back into the training plan next week. Hope the lay off from running doesnt f@ck up my training. The plan has me down for an 18 miler on Sunday 8th Aug. Might be a bridge too far so might knock this to 16..

you were due a rest week so it shouldnt effect your training too much, maybe ease back into it though....avoid injury like

Sun Aug 1st. 12 miles run.

Decided to run around the back of UCD and then maybe back to Sandymount beach. But somehow got a little lost and didnt get to see the beach! Wouldnt be too familier with that part of the southside. Passed the Clonkeagh mosque twice :) Ended up doing nearly all the run on path and road with 1 mile on UCD track. Legs dont feel too bad considering the surface i ran on.

Got a pair of Luna racers last week and gave them a try last week for my 2 small runs. Decided that id use them for this longer run. Theyre nice and light and im enjoying running in them. Well that was until mile 8 when then thin part just above my 2 heals started to sting a little. looked at both and they were bleeding! Made the last few miles interesting. Might have to use plasters for my next few runs..

Garmin recorded the 12 miles at an average pace of 7 13. Though they varied wildly from 7 minutes on some to 7 26 on others!

Back to normal training this week..

Mon Some light cycling
    Tue 10 miles (5 at half marathon pace)
    Wed Recovery 4 miles
    Thur 11 miles
    Fri Rest
    Sat 7 miles w 8 x 100 strides
    Sun 18 miles (will see how that goes havent run past 15 miles yet)

Up in Portrush this weekend so Sat and Sun's run could be dodgy. Will try to keep my alcohol intake low!!

• Advertisement

Mon Some light cycling
    Wed Recovery 4 miles
    Thur 11 miles
    Fri Rest

Up in Portrush this weekend so Sat and Sun's run could be dodgy. Will try to keep my alcohol intake low!!

Tue 10 miles w 5 at half marathon pace (2.5 m, 5 half, 2.5 m)

Actual ended up bein 9.45 miles with 4.5 at half pace. The main thing i learnt today was not to eat lasagne with chips for lunch and then have chocolate at 4!

Decided id run from work out to UCD track to do my 5 miles at half pace. Felt a bit heavy from the food but put it to the back of my mind. Distance from work to UCD was 2.5 miles which was a nice coincidance. First 2 miles of half pace were ok but after that i got really bad heart burn. Was tryin not to get sick while i ran at pace. Horrible experiance so after 4.5 miles of half pace i had to slow down. Last 2.45 miles were at a really slow pace so i wouldnt throw up! Was a bit ropey by the time i got home. Relieved that i got through that grueller and happy with my results. Pretty sure it was the food that almost ruined my run but the fact that it was my first tough session since im back from hols could have played a part.

Recorded the following splits

1 6 55
    2 7 05
    3 6 37
    4 6 04
    5 6 15
    6 6 13
    7 6 11
    8 8 02
    9 8 03
    .45m 8 03 average pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Tue 10 miles w 5 at half marathon pace (2.5 m, 5 half, 2.5 m)

Actual ended up bein 9.45 miles with 4.5 at half pace. The main thing i learnt today was not to eat lasagne with chips for lunch and then have chocolate at 4!

Decided id run from work out to UCD track to do my 5 miles at half pace. Felt a bit heavy from the food but put it to the back of my mind. Distance from work to UCD was 2.5 miles which was a nice coincidance. First 2 miles of half pace were ok but after that i got really bad heart burn. Was tryin not to get sick while i ran at pace. Horrible experiance so after 4.5 miles of half pace i had to slow down. Last 2.45 miles were at a really slow pace so i wouldnt throw up! Was a bit ropey by the time i got home. Relieved that i got through that grueller and happy with my results. Pretty sure it was the food that almost ruined my run but the fact that it was my first tough session since im back from hols could have played a part.

Recorded the following splits

1 6 55
    2 7 05
    3 6 37
    4 6 04
    5 6 15
    6 6 13
    7 6 11
    8 8 02
    9 8 03
    .45m 8 03 average pace

Agree on the lesson learnt about eating before this type of session, food would sit way too heavy with me as well, look forward to eating it after instead ??

Very nice splits all the same for tempo, well done !

tisnotover wrote: »
    Agree on the lesson learnt about eating before this type of session, food would sit way too heavy with me as well, look forward to eating it after instead ??

+1 i had eddie rockets hunger buster at 2 today ....chips,smokestack burger and vanilla malt...then ran intervals at 5:30....not a good idea...at all...barely got the 8 reps done

good pace there smmoore79, its good to get a long tempo session like that in....

how do you find doing the 5m on the track at pace?

tisnotover wrote: »

Cheers. It was at 1 that i had that big lunch and finished at 1.30 so thought that it would be settled by 5.30. I think the canteen chef is out to derail my marathon effort :mad:.. Might eat a roll or something instead for lunch on a training day. Usually after the session id have dinner aswell. Had to force it down me coz of the heart burn refusing to go away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

im the same. if the meal is heavy on fat and protein 4 hours isnt enough if im running fast. weel done getting through it anyway. nice spilts
    Cheers. It was at 1 that i had that big lunch and finished at 1.30 so thought that it would be settled by 5.30. I think the canteen chef is out to derail my marathon effort :mad:.. Might eat a roll or something instead for lunch on a training day. Usually after the session id have dinner aswell. Had to force it down me coz of the heart burn refusing to go away!!

good pace there smmoore79, its good to get a long tempo session like that in....

how do you find doing the 5m on the track at pace?

To be honest i found it mentally tough after a while. Goin round and round with no variation. Its grand over short distances but anything over 5km can get to your head a bit. Also the wind down 1 side of the track was a killer. I couldnt get below 6 min pace on my garmin for any of the miles. Not sure if thats to do with the turns on the track or my stomach doin tumbles or it bein my first tempo session in a while :rolleyes:

Sosa wrote: »
    +1 i had eddie rockets hunger buster at 2 today ....chips,smokestack burger and vanilla malt...then ran intervals at 5:30....not a good idea...at all...barely got the 8 reps done

Only 3 hours between eating that and a tempo?!?!? id deffo be in the bushes with the Eddies making a guest appearance!!! Still, I bet it tasted good at the time:rolleyes: Ya did very well gettin 5 30 though..

Second lesson from yesterday was to break in new shoes properly. Just above my heels were already cut from before so put plasters on. By the time i got home from training, the plasters were long gone and my heels were pretty bloody..

Have a 4 mile recovery run today and will be using my trusty Mizuno's. Gona have to wear heavy socks in future for the Luna racers!!

Over the past few weeks Ive had a soreness at the back of my knee. Not behind the knee cap or anything, but actually the back of my leg where the knee is. Starting to wreck my head now. Not sure what it is but may have to see a physio.. Have been kinda putting it off in case they tell me to rest for a month or something. Will bite the bullet next week a book a session..

Only 3 hours between eating that and a tempo?!?!? id deffo be in the bushes with the Eddies making a guest appearance!!! Still, I bet it tasted good at the time:rolleyes: Ya did very well gettin 5 30 though..

In my defense i never thought i would get away with going to the track last night,a gap opened up where she went to her mothers with the young fella so i put the gear on.
    I dont usually endulge in eddie rockets before intervals...not ideal,but got through it....just about !

• Advertisement

Mon Some light cycling
    Wed Recovery 4 miles
    Thur 11 miles
    Fri Rest

Missed my 4 m recovery due to the game in Lansdowne road. Figured with my soreness at the back of my knee, a rest would be as good as a recovery run. Feelin a little guilty now though :(

At least i got to see some Bohs players getting a run out against Utd though the score was a disaster :eek:

Mon Some light cycling
    Wed Recovery 4 miles
    Thur 11 miles
    Fri Rest

Thur 11 miles. Got 11.25 miles done all in all. I felt fairly tired through most of this run. Dont know if it was the humidity or the 4 beers i had the evening before! Averaged at about 7.23 pace. Left leg is still sore behind the knee so need to get that checked.

Got talking to a guy on my last 2 miles who was running alonside me. Nice enough fella. Were talkin about running in general from my marathon training to his track racing. Turned out he was a Crusaders athlete and suggested i take a look next week. Am seriously considering this now.. Club environment might improve my running..

Arghhhh! missed my LSR 18 miler this weekend. Did a lot of drinkin up the North and feel [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL] and guilty now :mad: Behind the knee is still niggly when walking (will book Physio thios week). Supposed to be doin 20 miles this weekend and i havent run past 15 miles and that 15 miler was ages ago :( Im hoping the wheels arent coming off my marathon training. Need to get back into it ASAP..

Arghhhh! missed my LSR 18 miler this weekend. Did a lot of drinkin up the North and feel cr@p and guilty now :mad: Behind the knee is still niggly when walking (will book Physio thios week). Supposed to be doin 20 miles this weekend and i havent run past 15 miles and that 15 miler was ages ago :( Im hoping the wheels arent coming off my marathon training. Need to get back into it ASAP..

I would not jump from 15 to 20...if it was me i would do another 15 first since the other one was sometime ago then...but then again i heir on the side of caution,even after that i would do a couple of 18's before hitting 20.

Sosa wrote: »
    I would not jump from 15 to 20...if it was me i would do another 15 first since the other one was sometime ago then...but then again i heir on the side of caution,even after that i would do a couple of 18's before hitting 20.

Thanks for the advice. No chance of me doing 20 this Sunday. Though I might gun for 16, maybe 17. Theres 3 20 milers in total on my plan so i might get a chance to catch up by knockin next weeks 17/18 miler on 21st Aug up to 20..

maybe its not a good idea to do the 20miler but i think you would get away with a 17-18miles if you maybe did less during the week? keep you weekly mileage within reason and only add a couple of miles to the LSR?

didnt you start the 18week plan early? im assuming last week was a week off but you would still be due a recovery week, so maybe this week could be the stepping stone to mileage building in the LSR's?

either way if you do a LSR of longer distance, maybe take it extra handy...maybe do it in the higher scale of things, 8:00-8:15m/m?

maybe its not a good idea to do the 20miler but i think you would get away with a 17-18miles if you maybe did less during the week? keep you weekly mileage within reason and only add a couple of miles to the LSR?

didnt you start the 18week plan early? im assuming last week was a week off but you would still be due a recovery week, so maybe this week could be the stepping stone to mileage building in the LSR's?

either way if you do a LSR of longer distance, maybe take it extra handy...maybe do it in the higher scale of things, 8:00-8:15m/m?

I agree that the 20 miler is unrealistic this week. I think anything over 15 would be a result. I started the 18 week plan a week early but unfortunately Ive caught up and have no leeway until the marathon. This week it sayd 20 for the big one and 17/18 i think for next weeks big one. So Maybe I'll just swap these around. i.e 17-ish this weekend and 20 next. That way I dont miss any of my 20m LSR's...

The plan looks rather steep this week, may have to adjust to lower the mileage a bit..

This weeks mileage. Hope the leg holds out!! Goin to the physio on Friday, hoping that i dont have to rest for weeks to get rid of my back of knee niggle. That could [EMAIL="f@k"]f@k[/EMAIL] up this weeks plan...

Mon Rest
    Tue 7m rec and 6 x 100 strides
    Wed 12 miles aerobic
    Thu Rest
    Fri 10 miles (5 to 6 at half marathon pace)
    Sat 5 miles rec
    Sun 16-18 miles LSR (7 30 to 40 pace)

This weeks mileage. Hope the leg holds out!! Goin to the physio on Friday, hoping that i dont have to rest for weeks to get rid of my back of knee niggle. That could f@k up this weeks plan...

Mon Rest
    Tue 7m rec and 6 x 100 strides
    Wed 12 miles aerobic
    Thu Rest
    Fri 10 miles (5 to 6 at half marathon pace)
    Sat 5 miles rec
    Sun 16-18 miles LSR (7 30 to 40 pace)

7 miles recovery run with 6 x 100 strides.

Averaged my pace here at 7.46 ish. For some reason i dont enjoy going slow, find it just as tough as aerobic runs or LSR's. Route took in the canal, Beggars bush,GAA pitches of Sean Moore park, Irishtown nature reserve (wonderful views from here), back to the park for strides and finally a mile run home to lansdowne.

Still have soreness at the back of my knee, but i dont notice it after 3/4 miles. Very strange :confused:

Will be doing 12 miles after work at 7 30-40 pace. Please hold out knee, please!!!!

• Advertisement

Thur 11th Aug - 12 miles aerobic at 7.30 to 7.40 pace.

This definitely wasnt my finest hour!! Felt a little sluggish from yesterdays 7 mile rec run. After a mile the heavens openned and i was soaked. My route took me through Beggars bush, but i forgot about that match and the pubs were jammered inside and out. A load of fans were hiding under the DART bridge to avoid the down pour, running under it was cool-it felt like the marathon and they were all lined out to cheer me on :D

Continued on and after mile 6 nature called. Took in the East wall which was tough on the legs as its granite all the way out and back. After mile 9, nature called again! Got caught by 2 women out walking who didnt look impressed. Left side was still sore aswell, cant wait to hear the physio's verdict tomorrow..

Nearly home and was on 11.65 miles when i hit a human wall of Irish footie fans. Had to shuffle for 20 minutes home. Id say I looked a right plonker in shorts and soaked to the bone!!

So in summary My legs felt heavy from mile 1 to 11.65, I had to stop twice to admire the scenery and my run was cut short by the match. Feel like the stopping kinda ruins the run, Does it ruin a run when you need to stop?? suppose its better than doin nothing :rolleyes:

Advertisement