Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 2.30 marathon? Suits you sir!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Does it ruin a run when you need to stop??

prob does but in P&Ds book it says that stopping for water during a marathon can have benifits etc etc....and you have to think that thats going from MP to stop for water to MP every 3m or 5k ish....
    so in an aerobic run it prob has less of an effect??

good pace on the aerobic run, do you have HR stats? i find my HR is always high from anything faster than 8m/m! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

seanynova wrote: »
    prob does but in P&Ds book it says that stopping for water during a marathon can have benifits etc etc....and you have to think that thats going from MP to stop for water to MP every 3m or 5k ish....
    so in an aerobic run it prob has less of an effect??

good pace on the aerobic run, do you have HR stats? i find my HR is always high from anything faster than 8m/m! :eek:

Unfortunately I dont use th HR monitor!! Pace per mile is enough info for me :)

This weeks mileage. Hope the leg holds out!! Goin to the physio on Friday, hoping that i dont have to rest for weeks to get rid of my back of knee niggle. That could f@k up this weeks plan...

Mon Rest
    Tue 7m rec and 6 x 100 strides
    Wed 12 miles aerobic
    Thu Rest
    Fri 10 miles (5 to 6 at half marathon pace)
    Sat 5 miles rec
    Sun 16-18 miles LSR (7 30 to 40 pace)

Looks like I'll have a rest tonight. But will be running again tomorrow. Just back from the physio. She found out why the back of my left knee is sore. Basically my left hip muscles have spasmed and are like bricks. Thus pulling other muscles all over the shop. Not sure how that happened, but at least its not torn ligaments etc! She really went to work on the hip/upper calve and i could feel how tense they were. She was stickin the fingers/elbows into the exact areas and boy was that sore :D

The good news is that i can keep running - as long as i do the stretches she showed me. Sitting in the office now and Im still tender. Muscles feel looser though. A really good physio session, couldnt recomend this particular physio highly enough..

Sat 14 Aug 8 miles easy at 7.50 pace. Just glad to get my first run after physio.

Sun 15 Aug; 16 miles LSR (on grass, road, athletic track, path, sand, nature trail/small hills - a little of everything :rolleyes:)

P and D had me down at 20 miles but im not there yet so decided that 16 would be a good number to get back into it. Stupidly i left at 11.15 and got most of the midday sun, it was an absolute scorcher out there!! So hard to run in those conditions. Felt like stopping after 9 but knew that id never forgive myself. Again at mile 14 i had a crisis of confidence but luckily i got my head straight again. Was a bit dehydrated and my Hi 5 card drink was running low. Was so relieved when the run was over and it took me at least an hour to rehydrate, stretch and get the head together again. Proud i got through this considering the heat; its the furthest Ive run this year;

1 7 25
    2 7 20
    3 7 33
    4 7 19
    5 7 18
    6 7 23
    7 7 13
    8 7 09
    9 7 21
    10 7 20
    11 7 21
    12 7 25
    13 7 30
    14 7 17
    15 7 21
    16 7 33

Sat 14 Aug 8 miles easy at 7.50 pace. Just glad to get my first run after physio.

Sun 15 Aug; 16 miles LSR (on grass, road, athletic track, path, sand, nature trail/small hills - a little of everything :rolleyes:)

P and D had me down at 20 miles but im not there yet so decided that 16 would be a good number to get back into it. Stupidly i left at 11.15 and got most of the midday sun, it was an absolute scorcher out there!! So hard to run in those conditions. Felt like stopping after 9 but knew that id never forgive myself. Again at mile 14 i had a crisis of confidence but luckily i got my head straight again. Was a bit dehydrated and my Hi 5 card drink was running low. Was so relieved when the run was over and it took me at least an hour to rehydrate, stretch and get the head together again. Proud i got through this considering the heat; its the furthest Ive run this year;

1 7 25
    2 7 20
    3 7 33
    4 7 19
    5 7 18
    6 7 23
    7 7 13
    8 7 09
    9 7 21
    10 7 20
    11 7 21
    12 7 25
    13 7 30
    14 7 17
    15 7 21
    16 7 33

good 16miler, quick pace!
    are you secretly looking for sub2:50? you race paces are there or there abouts and your training paces, like tempo and easy runs suggest its on the cards also! get the LSRs up next and your laughing...

• Advertisement

good 16miler, quick pace!
    are you secretly looking for sub2:50? you race paces are there or there abouts and your training paces, like tempo and easy runs suggest its on the cards also! get the LSRs up next and your laughing...

Nah, 2 59 59 will do me just fine!!! Theres a huge difference between 7 20 training pace over 16 miles and sub 7 over 26.2 ;)

This weeks sessions

Mon 16 Rest
    Tue 17 XC
    Wed 18 14 miles aerobic
    Thur 19 6 miles recovery
    Frid 20 Rest
    Sat 21 Adidas 10 miles and 6 more at aerobic pace
    Sun 22 6 mile recovery and 6 x 100 strides

Tue 17th XC

Did a nice easy cycle to Howth with work mates. Started from Leeson street area and headed out at an easy pace. When we got to Sutton cross the fun began! Went at our own pace up the hill of Howth to the Summit pub. It was a tough cycle but very enjoyable. Bulled up the hill and was impressed with how i got up. Then we cycled on to the village, all down hill really steep at a crazy pace! Had a bite to eat in the village and decided to cycle the way we came back up the crazy steep hill. The uphill on the way back was shorter but a lot steeper. Bulled up again and it felf easier than expected. Reached the Summit pub again and then downhill to Sutton and a nice easy cycle to Lansdowne road..

Felt the hill cycle really was beneficial; worked the upper thighs so that they burned. Will deffo get more into cycling esp to Howth!

Was supposed to do 14 miles aerobic but everything went wrong this evening. Firstly I forgot my Garmin. So said to myself id run for 1 and a half hours or so. From the moment i started the legs felt like lead. Especially the upper legs. I think that may have been something to do with yesterday's cycle. I hope so anyway! I could have ploughed on tired or not, but the back of my left leg felt more painful than usual. Usually the pain subsides after a few miles but this pain was goin nowhere. Kept goin anyways; then the heavens openned and completely soaked me :eek: After about 15 minutes getting soaked and tryin to run on a dodgy leg I called it quits and ran home, tail between legs.

This evening was a disaster. Id say i only ran 5 to 6 miles. Ive done a fair whack of stretching now and the leg feels better. But Im worried about Saturdays Adidas 10 miler. Was supposed to aim for sub 60 mins and then a 6 mile warm down run. It'd be a miracle if i pull it off. So p1ssed off at this stage with this niggle. I may have to take time off. Will rest til Saturday and see how i get on..

Was supposed to do 14 miles aerobic but everything went wrong this evening. Firstly I forgot my Garmin. So said to myself id run for 1 and a half hours or so. From the moment i started the legs felt like lead. Especially the upper legs. I think that may have been something to do with yesterday's cycle. I hope so anyway! I could have ploughed on tired or not, but the back of my left leg felt more painful than usual. Usually the pain subsides after a few miles but this pain was goin nowhere. Kept goin anyways; then the heavens openned and completely soaked me :eek: After about 15 minutes getting soaked and tryin to run on a dodgy leg I called it quits and ran home, tail between legs.

This evening was a disaster. Id say i only ran 5 to 6 miles. Ive done a fair whack of stretching now and the leg feels better. But Im worried about Saturdays Adidas 10 miler. Was supposed to aim for sub 60 mins and then a 6 mile warm down run. It'd be a miracle if i pull it off. So p1ssed off at this stage with this niggle. I may have to take time off. Will rest til Saturday and see how i get on..

thats a pain in the @ss! hate when that happens...you might get in a recovery run or something friday i you rest tomorrow....all you can do is maybe ice it and take ibuprofin or something? if you can race on it then maybe the few days rest will benifit you so dont worry too much about it...

• Advertisement

thats a pain in the @ss! hate when that happens...you might get in a recovery run or something friday i you rest tomorrow....all you can do is maybe ice it and take ibuprofin or something? if you can race on it then maybe the few days rest will benifit you so dont worry too much about it...

Thanks for the advice Seany. But i think it needs rest and plenty of stretches. Would ice loosen muscles?? Or is it heat that loosens them? cant remember which one, must look it up. I might even go back to the physio and get the tight muscles above the hip worked on again. Was at a funeral all day monday and was wearing really uncomfortable hard sole black shoes which aggrevated it a bit. Walked from Smithfield to Fairview and back that day! Then cycled up the hill of Howth on Tuesday, though i dont think that had any bad effects..

So It looks like I might miss Saturdays 10 mile race :mad: 50 50 at thisn stage. Still I might do more cycling in the meantime. Anyone know the equivelant cycle to running ratio? Like if i had to run 10 miles, what would i cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Thanks for the advice Seany. But i think it needs rest and plenty of stretches. Would ice loosen muscles?? Or is it heat that loosens them? cant remember which one, must look it up. I might even go back to the physio and get the tight muscles above the hip worked on again. Was at a funeral all day monday and was wearing really uncomfortable hard sole black shoes which aggrevated it a bit. Walked from Smithfield to Fairview and back that day! Then cycled up the hill of Howth on Tuesday, though i dont think that had any bad effects..

So It looks like I might miss Saturdays 10 mile race :mad: 50 50 at thisn stage. Still I might do more cycling in the meantime. Anyone know the equivelant cycle to running ratio? Like if i had to run 10 miles, what would i cycle?

Hi sm

few things...

1. sorry to hear that. I feel your pain - see my log for details :)

2. Think you are right to skip the race. DCM is the prize...

3. About 2:1 cycling to running. Cant back that up, picked it up from somewhere, others would know more. HR is quite low on the bike. I found aquarunning useful when I was injured about two months ago. You look like an eegit doing it but it works and its zero impact.

4. Dont despair - doesnt sound like a deal-breaker to me, if its still bothering you id get a diagnosis asap and then decide what to do....one bad session doesnt mean very much, we all tend to read too much into them (im more guilty than most of this)

good luck!

Hi sm

few things...

1. sorry to hear that. I feel your pain - see my log for details :)

2. Think you are right to skip the race. DCM is the prize...

3. About 2:1 cycling to running. Cant back that up, picked it up from somewhere, others would know more. HR is quite low on the bike. I found aquarunning useful when I was injured about two months ago. You look like an eegit doing it but it works and its zero impact.

4. Dont despair - doesnt sound like a deal-breaker to me, if its still bothering you id get a diagnosis asap and then decide what to do....one bad session doesnt mean very much, we all tend to read too much into them (im more guilty than most of this)

good luck!

Good advice TBB. Was at the physio last week so know what the problem is. Left hip muscles are really tight (spasmed was the word) and are pulling the left leg ligaments up and straining them. Thats why the back of the knee is sore. Im hoping a few days off and the stretching will get me back on track. I dont want to fall too far behind!!

Im probably panicking, but was googling marathons around the end of November. San Sebastian is appealing.. But I havent given up hope on DCM :rolleyes:

Sat 22 Aug Adidas 10 mile race. Decided only last night to do this. Left hip didnt feel as tight and thought Id take a gamble. Got to the Phoeno gate and jogged to the start area. Leg felt relatively ok. My only concern was the sun, i cant stand any bit of sun when racing. It really effects me bad. Race started anyway. Heat wasnt hurtin me just yet and i felt good on mile 1. Mile 2 i ran conservatively in 6 mins. Then a bit of wind started to gust up, as a result 3 and 4 were just over 6 mins. Got talking to a fellow sub 60 man. Nice fella, he helped me pick up the pace on mile 5 and 6. Said he was off to Spain after the run, not sure if he's a boardsie or not. 2 of us bulled up the first hilly part of the Phoeno. Passed a few heads on the ascent. By the time it levelled off, i noticed i was running out of juice!! The other guy on mile 7 started to pull away from me. Then the second hilly part; it almost killed me! Between that and the sun I was starting to falter. By mile 9 i was spent and was thinking of stopping. Did that in 6 30. That was when i realised the sub 1 hour was over and with 'OLeary in the grave'. Last mile and i tried to get the legs goin again. Was surrounded by 2 or 3 others. Think some of them passed me but cant be sure as my brain was in a different place!! Managed to do the last mile in 6 04. looking at my garmin over the last couple of miles it said 8 mins sometimes so thought it would be an hour and 3 when i finished just like last year. But when i saw that finish clock and double checked my Garmin, it read 1 hour 34 secs and finish time of 1 hour 55 secs! Soooo close, maybe next time when the sun is not there and theres no wind and the course is flatter!! In hindsight i have to be happy, but what might have been :rolleyes: Its a new 10 mile pb for me all the same! Got talkin to the other sub 60 guy and he missed out by 2 seconds!!!! also he stopped for a few secs coz of cramp or stitch.. Splits were as follows;

1 5 53
    2 6 00
    3 6 04
    4 6 07
    5 5 52
    6 5 50
    7 6 03
    8 6 10
    9 6 32
    10 6 04
    257 feet in 18 secs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Great run. ThaT was Krusty Clown htat you ran with(see log)
    well done.

Great run. ThaT was Krusty Clown htat you ran with(see log)
    well done.

Thanks. Didnt know that was Krusty! next time i get talkin to runners, i should double check if they are boardsies :rolleyes: He's a running machine, very good at the hill stages..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Thanks. Didnt know that was Krusty! next time i get talkin to runners, i should double check if they are boardsies :rolleyes: He's a running machine, very good at the hill stages..

You only finished 30 seconds off him and he is aiming for 2.48 so you are well below the 3 at this early stage.
    He races on the hills therefore cis strong on the hills.

You only finished 30 seconds off him and he is aiming for 2.48 so you are well below the 3 at this early stage.
    He races on the hills therefore cis strong on the hills.

I need to get the finger out and get the long runs sorted. I havent done near enough yet. Dont think 2 48 is achievable just yet for me. I need sub 3 first, then in a year or so, maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

'OLeary in the grave', far from it ! that's savage running, and sure sign your in top form, the 10mile is a tough course, and was tougher in heat, great stuff well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

Nah, 2 59 59 will do me just fine!!! Theres a huge difference between 7 20 training pace over 16 miles and sub 7 over 26.2 ;)

My best was 3:01:10
    Imagine what a sickener that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

well done smmoore,great result on a tough course

tisnotover wrote: »
    'OLeary in the grave', far from it ! that's savage running, and sure sign your in top form, the 10mile is a tough course, and was tougher in heat, great stuff well done!

Cheers, a tough course alright. just that i felt like i died a shocking death over the last couple of miles. Couldnt have gone on after the 10 mile mark, well maybe at a really slow pace. Serves me right for tryin to keep up with Krusty :D

My best was 3:01:10
    Imagine what a sickener that was.

Jaysus, that must have been a kick in the.....:) Hope that doesnt happen to me in October. Will ya be tryin to rectify that anytime soon?

get the long runs soted is right and you will be flying, must have a very high threshold pace, mush higher than required for sub3 so id drive on with the training and maybe one more race closer as per P&D and use that as you predicted marathon time....aim at least for 2:55, 6:40m/m.....

This weeks plan; hopefully injury free :rolleyes:

Mon 23 Rest
    Tue 24 8 miles w/5 x 800 @ 5km pace (or a mosey on down to the local athletics club :))
    Wed 25 5 miles recovery
    Thur 26 8 miles aerobic
    Fri 27 Rest
    Sat 28 5 miles recovery
    Sun 29 17/18 miles LSR

Mon 23 Rest
    Tue 24 8 miles w/5 x 800 @ 5km pace (or a mosey on down to the local athletics club :))
    Wed 25 5 miles recovery
    Thur 26 8 miles aerobic
    Fri 27 Rest
    Sat 28 5 miles recovery
    Sun 29 17/18 miles LSR

Tues 24th. Went for the latter option and headed down to my local athletics club. Really good set up with a class track and a gym. Coaches and runners seem a nice bunch of people. Their top runners were on 2 weeks break so that made me feel a bit more comfortable. Did a warm up and then we were broken into different groups; coach asked me and another new guy to jump into the fast group :eek: Me and the other newbie gave each other worried glances. Training started and was basically me and a few others trying to keep up with one of the faster guys there on the night who had a stop watch. Repeats were 80 sec 400m, then 90 sec 400m, then 80 and then 90. This was repeated 3 times with a 2 minute rest between.

I really enjoyed the speed session as I hate doin this type of workout alone. In the end i acquitted myself well keeping up with the fast guy and could have kept going :rolleyes:

Mon 23 Rest
    Wed 25 5 miles recovery
    Thur 26 8 miles aerobic
    Fri 27 Rest
    Sat 28 5 miles recovery
    Sun 29 17/18 miles LSR

Wed 25th 5 miles recovery.

I felt every 1 of these. ran them at just over 8 minute mile pace and even this was tough going. First mile was over concrete and so was last 0.75 mile. Rest was in Herbert park. Legs felt like lead and a bit weak from the speedwork on Tuesday. kinda like, when ya get the flu and have tingly legs. Got them done anyways, I probably looked strange shuffling/hobbling through the park to the 3 fit camp groups :rolleyes:

Mon 23 Rest
    Wed 25 5 miles recovery
    Thur 26 8 miles aerobic
    Fri 27 Rest
    Sat 28 5 miles recovery
    Sun 29 17/18 miles LSR

Thur 26th. 8 miles aerobic.

Boy was this tough! Legs were still a bit jaded coz of tuesdays speed session on the track. Felt a bit better towards the end compared to when i started the 8 miles. Got through it anyway. Though i had to stop half way for the call of nature. Then i get home, cook some pasta bolonese and the whole lot slips off the plate onto my lap and then all over the floor :mad: Didnt even get 1 bite! looks like its crunchy nut cornflakes for dinner :rolleyes: Splits recorded were;

1 7 27
    2 7 30
    3 7 23
    4 7 36
    5 7 25
    6 7 30
    7 7 25
    8 7 27
    0.2m 1 01

Sun 29th 17 miles LSR - A real confidence booster!!!

For a run that started badly, it ended up bein very solid and gave me a bit of a moral boost. For the first 5 miles i struggled, i felt heavy from my breakfast that i had 40 mins previously. Got to Sandymount strand after 3 miles and the wind behind me gave me a nice push and some rest time. But the minute i got to the end of the promenade and turned, a wall of wind hit me. Mile 4 and 5 were spend battling into a nightmare headwind! was so relieved to get to the park and catch my breath. Then on to the nature reserve. A nice little bit of hill work on the trail. After 7 miles I took my first hi 5 gel. Got a nice boost from this though my hands were really sticky(gona have to figure out how to take these without leakage :rolleyes:). Did the nature reserve twice in all and had another gel at mile 10 and then 13. No adverse effects from the gels and they seem to give a nice boost. Headed back to the beach and down the promenade again. Another killer headwind when i got to the end and turned back. Mile 14 and 15 were a tough slog through the wind. Seemed to have confidence at this stage and bulled through that wind. Got the 17 miles done and could have gone on. Following splits recorded;

1 7 21
    2 7 34
    3 7 32
    4 7 44
    5 7 51
    6 7 39
    7 7 29
    8 7 30
    9 7 28
    10 7 28
    11 7 31
    12 7 32
    13 7 23
    14 7 23
    15 7 30
    16 7 20
    17 7 18

• Advertisement

Training plan for this week;

Mon 30 Rest
    Tue 31 Club - 3km race
    Wed 01 7 miles rec + 6x100
    Thur 02 Rest
    Frid 03 12 miles aerobic
    Sat 04 3 miles recovery
    Sun 05 20 miles LSR

Mon 30 Rest
    Tue 31 Club - 3km race
    Thur 02 Rest
    Frid 03 12 miles aerobic
    Sat 04 3 miles recovery
    Sun 05 20 miles LSR

thats the job, going for the jugular on sunday!!! looks like a good week leading up to it also...best of luck with it

thats the job, going for the jugular on sunday!!! looks like a good week leading up to it also...best of luck with it

Yeah, something like that!! I just hope the leap from 17 to 20 isnt too much and that Fridays aerobic run doesnt leave me still tired come Sunday. I may even try some pmp miles if the body feels good and the gels are goin down well!!

Yeah, something like that!! I just hope the leap from 17 to 20 isnt too much and that Fridays aerobic run doesnt leave me still tired come Sunday. I may even try some pmp miles if the body feels good and the gels are goin down well!!

you will be fine with going from 17-20, cos your weekly mileage isint peak mileage before the sunday LSR....

i need to up the anti myself with regards PMP miles....have a long PMP sesion this weekend....hope i get through it....aiming for 12m PMP minimium!!! sure ill see, might take a gel or two also, should help like!

Mon 30 Rest
    Tue 31 Club - 3km race
    Thur 02 Rest
    Frid 03 12 miles aerobic
    Sat 04 3 miles recovery
    Sun 05 20 miles LSR

Tue 31 - 3km speed session on track. Started with a nice warm up before the session started. Race started and pace was pretty quick and my plan was to hang in there behind runners of a similar pace. first 4 laps were grand. Last 3.5 I found tough. Finished with a time of 10 mins 14 secs which im happy with. Then a light jog around the park for warm down.

Might leave Wednesdays recovery run til Thursday. Legs a bit hollow now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Tue 31 - 3km speed session on track. Started with a nice warm up before the session started. Race started and pace was pretty quick and my plan was to hang in there behind runners of a similar pace. first 4 laps were grand. Last 3.5 I found tough. Finished with a time of 10 mins 14 secs which im happy with. Then a light jog around the park for warm down.

Might leave Wednesdays recovery run til Thursday. Legs a bit hollow now:rolleyes:

Congrats smmoore, thats a good time on the track off the marathon training. Great when things start to come together, isn't it :)

• Advertisement

good running, count it as a very good VO2 max session also!

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Congrats smmoore, thats a good time on the track off the marathon training. Great when things start to come together, isn't it :)

Cheers. Runnings going well at the moment alright. Not sure if 3km time on a track would be similar to that on a road. Though id be aiming for 10-ish mins on the road.

good running, count it as a very good VO2 max session also!

Heres hoping that its beneficial for marathon training...:)

Mon 30 Rest
    Tue 31 Club - 3km race
    Thur 02 Rest
    Frid 03 12 miles aerobic
    Sat 04 3 miles recovery
    Sun 05 20 miles LSR

Change of plan from above;

Thur 02 12 miles aerobic
    Friday 03 3 miles recovery
    Sat 03 5 miles/club hill training/5miles
    Sun 04 Rest

Will deffo be back on the long runs proper next week; just wanna give the hill session a go, see what its like :)

Change of plan from above;

Thur 02 12 miles aerobic
    Friday 03 3 miles recovery
    Sat 03 5 miles/club hill training/5miles
    Sun 04 Rest

Will deffo be back on the long runs proper next week; just wanna give the hill session a go, see what its like :)

Thur 02; 12 miles aerobic - crash and burn!!

Legs were like lead from the start. More than likely from the 3km track race on Tuesday. Probably should have done cross training instead. Managed to squeez out 5.5 miles and just couldnt go on. Ended up walking a mile home in a very p1ssed off mood :mad: Starting to question can i go sub 3. Lesson learned today, track races take a lot outta my body - lucky theyre only once a month! Next time i track race, I'll cycle or something instead the next day..

• Advertisement

Thur 02; 12 miles aerobic - crash and burn!!

Legs were like lead from the start. More than likely from the 3km track race on Tuesday. Probably should have done cross training instead. Managed to squeez out 5.5 miles and just couldnt go on. Ended up walking a mile home in a very p1ssed off mood :mad: Starting to question can i go sub 3. Lesson learned today, track races take a lot outta my body - lucky theyre only once a month! Next time i track race, I'll cycle or something instead the next day..

Don't worry about it smmoore, we've all been there. Your going very well and will nail the sub 3. Track definitely leaves the legs feeling lik yours did, just put it down to experience.

Sat 04 - 4 mile hill repeats with 90 seconds recovery.

Cycled to the Phoeno in the lashings of rain to don this. Met up with some of the other club members. The first 2 repeats were ok. The last 2 were very tough. Was tough keeping up with some of the other lads. They were goin at a fairly savage pace. Forgot my Garmin but was pretty sure each repeat was under 6 minutes!! Felt pretty dizzy after the last repeat but glad i did it. Very good strength training though..

Gona get back on the marathon training next week. Deffo will do that 20 mile LSR!!

Sat 04 - 4 mile hill repeats with 90 seconds recovery.

Cycled to the Phoeno in the lashings of rain to don this. Met up with some of the other club members. The first 2 repeats were ok. The last 2 were very tough. Was tough keeping up with some of the other lads. They were goin at a fairly savage pace. Forgot my Garmin but was pretty sure each repeat was under 6 minutes!! Felt pretty dizzy after the last repeat but glad i did it. Very good strength training though..

Gona get back on the marathon training next week. Deffo will do that 20 mile LSR!!

was that 4x1mile with 90sec recovery? hard going lad, hard enough on the flat, not to mention going uphill!
    will be a big help to the half in the park in two weeks!!!

was that 4x1mile with 90sec recovery? hard going lad, hard enough on the flat, not to mention going uphill!
    will be a big help to the half in the park in two weeks!!!

yeah 4 x 1 mile hilly with 90 seconds recovery. Very tough. Think that running with fellas of a decent standard is beneficial for the pace. I wouldnt have run that fast on my own! Have let my LSR's go a bit astray recently so need to get that 20 miler nailed next Sunday (however slow the pace). Dreadin the half in 2 weeks, last year i went downhill fast on mile 9!!

yeah 4 x 1 mile hilly with 90 seconds recovery. Very tough. Think that running with fellas of a decent standard is beneficial for the pace. I wouldnt have run that fast on my own! Have let my LSR's go a bit astray recently so need to get that 20 miler nailed next Sunday (however slow the pace). Dreadin the half in 2 weeks, last year i went downhill fast on mile 9!!

you have set yourself a nice tidy goal in the half!! a goal that is achievable, i might add.....ill be looking to go sub83 myself, and thats if im lucky!!! there is a big climb on the cork half.....big difference in goals, but i just dont have the same pace as you....the 10k programme has really helped you in that regard! if i have time ill try my hand a one after the marathon but study will have to come first!

you have set yourself a nice tidy goal in the half!! a goal that is achievable, i might add.....ill be looking to go sub83 myself, and thats if im lucky!!! there is a big climb on the cork half.....big difference in goals, but i just dont have the same pace as you....the 10k programme has really helped you in that regard! if i have time ill try my hand a one after the marathon but study will have to come first!

Hopefully I get close to 1 20. Ill be happy enough with anything under 1 25 as the hills in the Dublin half are pretty tough. The kyber road section is almost a mile of uphill! I dont think our pace would be that different, 1 23 is a savage pace!! Id deffo recomend a 10km plan, it gets the speed up anyways...

Hopefully I get close to 1 20. Ill be happy enough with anything under 1 25 as the hills in the Dublin half are pretty tough. The kyber road section is almost a mile of uphill! I dont think our pace would be that different, 1 23 is a savage pace!! Id deffo recomend a 10km plan, it gets the speed up anyways...

1:20, is 6:06m/m so if you get in the right group to run with i think you will get it, i know you never make up on the downhills what you lost on the uphills but would might be able to get a few sub6:00m/m on the decents and a strong last mile could see you dip under the 80mins...give it a strong go anyway...

what is the plan for the week, you doing the 20miler this weekend?

This weeks plan;

Mon 06 Rest
    Tue 07 Club speed training
    Wed 08 3 mile recovery
    Thr 09 12 miles aerobic
    Frid 10 Rest
    Sat 11 20 miles LSR
    Sun 12 3 miles recovery

Theres hill training on Saturday; 4 miles at slightly over 6 to 6 30 mins pace no rest between miles. would love to do it but I need to get a long run done. Would it be madness to combine the 2 and do 16 miles after the hills??!

There is a big difference between 1:20 pace (6:06) & 1:25 (6:30) so be careful how you go out. You may want to split the difference and go for 6:15's and see how your feeling after the first 10K or so and take it from there.

1:20, is 6:06m/m so if you get in the right group to run with i think you will get it, i know you never make up on the downhills what you lost on the uphills but would might be able to get a few sub6:00m/m on the decents and a strong last mile could see you dip under the 80mins...give it a strong go anyway...

what is the plan for the week, you doing the 20miler this weekend?

6.06 pace sounds scary over 13.1 miles!!! I was hitting 6 min miles for the 10 miler but was shot after 8 miles and the pace went. Its a scary thought having to to do an extra 3.1 miles on top of that!! Though the weather was a killer in the 10 miler, hopefully its a nice cold windless day come the half :rolleyes: I might have to go a little under sub 6 for the first 5/6 miles to stand a chance of sub 1 20...Good luck on your 1 23 attempt aswell, I'd be happy with that time too...

Yeah, 20 miles this weekend. im considering mixing it with 4 miles hill training that the club will be doing (though that could be suicide!). The 4 miles will be a little slower than last week, but with no recovery between miles :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement