Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hi8 VHS to DVD.... How???

• 07-01-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'm looking for advice as to the best & cheapest way of transferring old Hi8 vhs tapes to dvd.
    I can no longer view the tapes using the video camera as i think the heads are gone on the camera, picture is virtually unviewable.
    Is their a cheap n easy solution?
    I don't want to have a shop do it as it seems their prices are high.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think you have very few options. One would be to get someone to check the heads on the camera, they may only need cleaning, or put a head cleaning tape in and see if that fixes it.

If you can get a good picture out of the camera you could then get a video capture card/usb dongle for a PC and record from the camera.

Other than that you would have to use a commercial solution and pay someone to do the transfer, unless you can find someone who has the gear to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭r*oc

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think you have very few options. One would be to get someone to check the heads on the camera, they may only need cleaning, or put a head cleaning tape in and see if that fixes it.

If you can get a good picture out of the camera you could then get a video capture card/usb dongle for a PC and record from the camera.

Other than that you would have to use a commercial solution and pay someone to do the transfer, unless you can find someone who has the gear to do it for you.

Thanks cnocbui. I forgot to mention i already tried all the head cleaning solutions. I truly believe the heads on the camera are gone. I had it for about 10 yrs so can't complain about it. It has served me well.
    I think one of my mates has a similar camera.
    How much should i expect to pay for video capture card/usb dongle & should i try ebay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Advertisement