Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mid life crisis - classic bike query

• 07-01-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

i'd like to get a classic bike as my first ever motor bike, what are the pitfalls with regards bike test/licenses/insurance etc. i have had a few classic cars over time so i'm used to the "reliability issues".....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

There is nothing special about classic bikes licence wise. Insurance wise, it is possible to get it cheaper usually if you have a "normal" bike on the road too - I think this is the same as with classic cars. Tax I think there is a discount, but normal tax is something like €79 (I haven't opened my envelope that came in the post today) so the saving isn't immense.

After that the only pitfalls are the "reliability issues" that you alluded to in your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I ran Jap classics are every day bikes in the past and they really aren't worth the hassle to be honest.

It might sound like a great idea but when all your mates are out on a sunny day and you're in the shed covered in oil trying to fit some part that took you two months to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Present weather excepted, I run a Kaw '76 z750 twin. It has been reliable, but there has been a steady stream of things needing replacement, the starter clutch is sounding very unpleasant and given where it is in the engine, I will have to replace it, it might start okay, but if the damn thing comes apart, I have a problem. Unless a bike has been fully and perfectly restored, I would think very carefully about running a classic everyday. Still I have a Wolseley 16/60, a car now, 1971, I know not that old, but it's started every single day, and I use that instead in this weather. RWD aint great in snow and ice, but it's okay. Again, to OP's q, think really carefully about running a classic everyday,unless you have good mechanic skills, it will mean a lot of aggravation, and even if you do have the skills, it still means problems you don't need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

I drive a 1981 xl250 to work but since there ins't much to go wrong with it, its grand. I suppose it isn't as old as that other stuff anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....depends on what you call 'classic', really.

If you're thinking of traditional Brit bike - Triumph, Norton, BSA, etc, forget it. At this stage, they are all simply too old to make the grade. Indeed, they didn't make the grade when they were new in the first place - hence Japan taking over. The 30/40 year interval since didn't improve them.........

Then, there's Jap stuff. Some of it is good, and will work very well, but it'll be run of the mill popular stuff. Think GPz Kawa's, GSX Suzuki's, etc. Odd ball XS650 twins and the like mightn't give any trouble, but you'll find getting parts for them can be a nightmare - there simple isn't the historic back up the Brit bikes enjoy (masochists !)

So, what 'era' are you thinking about ? Some of my friends think a 'classic' is something from the '60's etc. Me ? I'm of a different age, and 'classic' to me is........'80's and almost '90's at this stage.........

Pick something there is loads of support for.

Finally, how about this twist ? : I was in a VMCC, and on Sunday Spins, we never, ever had a 'breakdown free' spin.............which was .........annoying. Half the day at the side of the road, somewhere........so, eventually, everyone got at least 1 Jap bike, so that at the end of the day, there was a backup.

One guy though, has struggled with the 'modern' 1980's stuff, and quite recently made what turned out to be an inspired choice: a 00 reg Royal Enfield. Tick's both boxes: classic and (so far) reliable. And does over 100mpg, to boot ! I quite like it, actually ! And they're cheap. Buy the newest one you can - you'd be surprised how new you can afford - and they are cheap to insure - for a start, they have no power, so no big quotes !

What's not to like ? (pic from this year's NEC show: )

735374011_iCqbJ-M.jpg

Other very eminently good bikes to consider that may do the trick for you, and I know people who own them, and they all get a big thumbs up:

Current generation Triumph Bonneville, (even looks old, but is very good..)

735374109_snHJw-M.jpg

Kawasaki W650

attachment.php?attachmentid=72840&d=1213470437

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

BSPOKE20 wrote: »
    i'd like to get a classic bike as my first ever motor bike, what are the pitfalls with regards bike test/licenses/insurance etc. i have had a few classic cars over time so i'm used to the "reliability issues".....

If you are comfortable with the reliability issues then old Britsh bikes can be very affordable. An old european bike can often work out better. BMWs, DKW etc. Italian classics tend to fetch high prices.Owning one, just like a classic car, involves tinkering in the garage at weekends interupted by the occasion ride! If messing with engines is not something you enjoy then perhaps go for a more modern bike first.

As has ben said, age won't normally improve old bikes but, ridden within the limits they wre designed for, they can be good fun. If you are talking about the Sunday run in summer sunshine then you can't go wrong. If you are talking about 30mile commute each way every day then go and get a new small Japanese bike.

Licence is same as for modern bike. Tax is reduced to €20 for over 30years( I think). Carole Nash do classic bike insurance but you will need a full licence and be a member of a recognised club. There are clubs in most parts of the country and there is regular meets etc. A good starting place is probably to find a local club and talk to some owners of machines you are interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have been using a "Classic Policy" with Carole Nash for 5 years now as the bikes I use currently are all considered classics. IE more than 15 years old.

Brit classics tend to be a bit more tempermental and would need some back ground knowledge plus getting your hands dirty and would not be recommended them to be used as every day bikes particularly for someone fresh into biking.

On the other hand owning Jap classics can find it hard getting spares and can be pricey if sourced. I am finding it impossible to pick up a set of clean flatsided carbs for my 88 Gixr.

Advertisement