Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillwalking in Donegal

Options
  • 07-01-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Once the big snow goes away I really want to get into hillwalking and get to know the county better. I was just wandering if anyone knows some great routes or could offer any advice about hillwalking in general. Im based in Letterkenny but I can travel easy enough. I want to get proper gear as well so if anyone has any advice or tips that would be brilliant!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Plenty of good walks in the Blue Stacks and there is a club based (I think) in Donegal town. I'm pretty sure one of the regulars here is involved.

Edit

ednwirenad is your man. I'm sure he'll be along soon.

http://www.bluestackramblers.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ahem
    no calendar until weather abates and leaders meetings can resume, get yourself some boots waterproofs and a rucksack (we expect you to feed and water yourself on the hill)
    there is a good range of walks up and down the county and some members talking walks out in leitrim and sligo.
    have a look at the info and advice section on the website

just looking at the provisional calnder till june and all the usual favouites seem to be on plane crash, horn head etc
    might see you out there (if i'm not out on the road bike)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Hi Beanstalk
    Based in ramelton and do a lot of hillwalking, would be happy to show lots of local routes and advise on gear. Have been walking for a number of years now and need to log walks for my mountain leader so will be doing a fair bit in the next few months. let me know if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Beanstalk,

Don't wait for the snow to disappear. Get out and enjoy it. I'm sure there's a few easy/safe walks even in the snow.09012010734.jpg Here's a picture of Errigal summit this morning 9th Jan 2010. When you climb errigal it makes a huge difference when the lower boggy section is frozen!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cuilcagh (fermanagh) is a lovely walk when the bottom section is frozen (Assuming that the road is passable on the way up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Thanks everyone for your info and kind offers! :) id love to start now but unfortunately i pulled a muscle on my back on friday so ill be out of action for a few weeks but after that ill be getting in touch with some of you! thanks again.

Advertisement