Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Field/Wood Mouse.

Options
  • 07-01-2010 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey guys, I don't know if anyone knows much about wild mice? But about 4 years ago next doors cat was after a mouse I managed to get it out of its mouth and the poor mouse its legs were bleeding, after care they got better but they never worked again :( he lost all the use of his back legs, fearing that the cat would most defiantly catch him next time and this time kill him I kept him as a pet.

Looking back now I wish id have let it go as wild animals are meant to be wild, but after having him so long I don't think he could fend for himself outside, I never really paid much attention to handling him but then I started to, he has never bitten or even tried to, he has a hunch back from his legs being bad and he hates me touching or being near his face, yet he will happily sit and go to sleep in my hand for hours!
    I feed him on seeds, bird nuts and sunflowers and monkey nuts etc, he seems happy and as I said before he is around 4.
    Online it said they normally only live till 2.
    Does anyone know anyone or have a pet Field/wood mouse? I say Field/wood as I'm not sure what type he is.
    Anyways what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Fair play to you, unfortunately I don't know anything about mice, but would think that 4 is a good old age for them. TBH I doubt the mouse would have lasted very long if you had of released him, so at least you gave him/her some wuality of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Cinnomen

Thank you ;) im pretty sure its a boy, gosh I sure will miss him when he isnt with me any longer, but I must control myself rofl no running after cats looking for more!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I have been breeding and keeping pet mice for years, I'm not an expert on wild ones but the age, eye size and head shape suggest dormouse rather than field mouse - I'd like to see more pics though.

Well done for keeping him(?), so long as he is a bit mobile and not in obvious discomfort I suggest keeping him as long as you can. They need a fairly simple diet of seeds and not much protien - normal hamster food should be fine but not too many peanuts/sunflower seeds as the oils can cause skin problems.

The dislike of handling is normal for any captive wild animal - don't take it personally! Leave empty toilet roll tubes or small boxes for him to hide in.

Being in the UK, you are likely to have a fancy (pet) mouse club nearby and they might be better able to advise you as your mouse gets older. PM me or post here if there is anything specific you are worried about.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

He/she looks a bit like a hamster I think but know nothing about them, great story though full credit to you for saving and looking after him/her. I love mice but everyone else around here are terrified of them.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I remember reading a story in Readers Digest a few years ago about a lady who rescued a wild mouse and kept it as a pet. I wish I could find a link to the story.
    I think it is one lucky mouse 041.gif
    You might be interested in contacting this magazine Radio programme in Ireland (The Derek Mooney Show) It's on radio 1 every day from 3 -4.30 p.m and they do lots of things on wildlife during the week. They would be really interested in your story.
    I've been on the show twice myself about birds. Just sent them off an e-mail and the bird experts contacted me :)
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Looks like a Hazel Dormouse to me (also called Common Dormouse). They usually hibernate. The Hazel Dormouse is a European Protected Species (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/European_Protected_Species).

I know the Edible Dormouse has been introduced into the UK but I don't know if they made the jump across the Irish Sea (Edible because the Romans farmed the small animals in pits and ate them as snack :eek:).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If it is a dormouse it will have a furry, as opposed to a smooth, tail .. that's the main thing that distinguishes them from other much more common mice such as wood mice.

Thats true but I cant see a tail in the pic, maybe OP can enlighten us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

I keep and breed many mice,do you have any idea how many diseases wild mice carry?

Seravar thphimurium
    leptospirosis
    eosinophilic menigits
    hantavirus pulmonary syndrome
    murine typhus
    rat-bite fever
    salmondla enterica etc etc...

SCI wrote: »
    I keep and breed many mice,do you have any idea how many diseases wild mice carry?

Seravar thphimurium
    leptospirosis
    eosinophilic menigits
    murine typhus
    rat-bite fever

Ahm, OP has said mouse for four years now, I am sure the mouse is perfectly healthy ;)

And I would have thought that murine for example is indegenious to parts of the States? And I've never heard of a case of Hantavirus in Ireland??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Seravar thphimurium
    leptospirosis
    eosinophilic menigits
    murine typhus
    rat-bite fever

Well the O.P. has the mouse for four years now so she should be safe enough.;)Interesting to know about the diseases though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

do you have any idea how many diseases wild mice carry?

You should see the list of diseases humans carry... :rolleyes:

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Cinnomen

You should see the list of diseases humans carry... :rolleyes:

'c

hehe I like that!
    Thanks guys for your responses, Previous to this mouse who I named Mr Jengles, I rescued a vole from a cat, I think he was a vole, he lost his eye in the fight with the cat and then his second eye turned cloudy, I had him for around 2 years, then I heard the cat making a awful noise outside once again and ended up with this little one.

I dont think he is a Common Dormouse as his tail isn't the same, its long and dark but no where near as hairy.
    He is a little angel though so friendly no attempts to bite which put me off handling him in the first place incase he did, but one brave moment showed me how loving he is.

He often plays on my stair, one stair as he cant climb or jump bless him, I just sit there with him as he runs up and down lol.
    Thanks for all your comments, yes he must be coming upto or just over 4, ive lost track but he seems healthy. Fingers Crossed.
    All I have noticed is his skin seems a little dry around his ears so ill keep an eye on that! ill do my best to get more pics soon! xxx

And I've never heard of a case of Hantavirus in Ireland??
    Is the mouse not located in the U.K?

ill do my best to get more pics soon! xxx

Would be great to see more pics :-)

SCI breeds his/her mice in Antrim, last I checked that was in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Cinnomen wrote: »
    hehe I like that!
    Thanks guys for your responses, Previous to this mouse who I named Mr Jengles, I rescued a vole from a cat, I think he was a vole, he lost his eye in the fight with the cat and then his second eye turned cloudy, I had him for around 2 years, then I heard the cat making a awful noise outside once again and ended up with this little one.

I dont think he is a Common Dormouse as his tail isn't the same, its long and dark but no where near as hairy.
    He is a little angel though so friendly no attempts to bite which put me off handling him in the first place incase he did, but one brave moment showed me how loving he is.

He often plays on my stair, one stair as he cant climb or jump bless him, I just sit there with him as he runs up and down lol.
    Thanks for all your comments, yes he must be coming upto or just over 4, ive lost track but he seems healthy. Fingers Crossed.
    All I have noticed is his skin seems a little dry around his ears so ill keep an eye on that! ill do my best to get more pics soon! xxx

Wow your cat likes catching things lol

Lovely story good luck with him!

EGAR wrote: »
    SCI breeds his/her mice in Antrim, last I checked that was in Ireland?
    Apologies skipped a post and though you were referring to the O.P who is in Norfolk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

just adorable...look at those eyes!!!! fair play to you!!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 hkenn1

Hi.I've had a collection of various rodents in the attic the past 11 weeks and the last one we caught was a twin to your one.The farmer next door told us he was a field mouse because of his colouring.He was gold and caramel.He's now running free in the beside our house.He was the lucky one because he got trapped in the humane trap were as all the others were not so lucky.They were house mice anyway.The differance is they are all grey and won't get out.ha ha.

The very first house I lived in after moving to Ireland was overrun by mice. I trapped 34 in the first night and didn't sleep a wink, waiting for the click of the trap. So I made several trips with my little bucket to the shed at the end of the road. One looked like she had babies somewhere so I let her go again in the house :D. I know people think I am crazy but what the heck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I remember when we first moved into my home place. It was being done up from derelict so there where a lot of mice.

I used to get up at night and put bread/leftovers in the middle of the floor and sit there in my PJ's watching the mice run out and grab it. (sorry mam) One got very tame and would sit at your foot eating the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

EGAR wrote: »
    I know people think I am crazy but what the heck.

You are nearly as barmy as me !. At least the next time that I need to release one I will know where to put it - better check my pockets !

Advertisement