Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Going..........

Options
  • 07-01-2010 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hey guys,

Just said i'd post this and see what people have to say. Myself and my fiance are 27 and 28 respectively, we're getting married in July of this year. That out of the way i'll get to the point.

We've always wanted to travel/work abroad but for some reason we haven't got around to it. We have no major ties here at the minute other than our wedding and a few small term loans. I'm just wondering what people would make of us going travelling. We were looking into going in january next year. Getting to oz, have family in brisbane, and trying to settle there and find work and hopefully sponsorship to keep our options open. Obviously we plan to travel around whilst there but the option of staying there is a big thing for us.

We both have college degrees and both have 5 years experience in our relevent fields, myself in IT/Business Solutions and her in property. We would obviously hope to land jobs in these areas but obviously we're willing to turn out hands to anything.

We'd be thinking about going on a working holiday visa and then taking things from there. Will we have any trouble getting a working holiday visa once married? This may be a stupid question i know.

All replies welcome

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

You wont regret it - infact you will be in a great position compared to most people on a WHV...the fact you will have a degree + 5 years exp will mean that contract roles are fully open to you and you will be able to compete with locals on an even playing field for work - it also means you will be able to earn far more and save + travel and see way more...

My only advise is to bring as much cash as possible, whatever you think it will cost - double it and you'll be closer to the true cost - its weird though - I was able to save far more in Oz and now NZ than I ever could at home and that includes taking basically a year off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I would be in the camp of applying for PR now with the skills you have.

However I wonder if you could do that then get a years WHV as a way of passing the time so you could be on a whv while your 175 gets processed?

Then you come home for a wee holiday and return as residents not beholden to an company

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Check out immi.gov.au for all factual visa information. There seems to be a lot of heresay on this forum.
    You can't just apply for Permanent Residence off the bat, you need to apply for and be granted the appropriate visa, have lived & worked there legally for a few years and then apply for Permanent Residence

What's with all the people on this forum starting off by stating their degree/trade and then saying they want to move to Australia asap?
    Skilled Worker Visas have been more or less shelved or with very long waiting lists, 18+ months in some cases.
    Check out the critical skills list on the Immigration website.

You should check out the site above immi.gov.au and also the British Expats site
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

I have heard recently that the Australian govt. is fastracking Permanent Residency for IT people willing to work for them in Canberra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Check out immi.gov.au for all factual visa information. There seems to be a lot of heresay on this forum.

You can't just apply for Permanent Residence off the bat, you need to apply for and be granted the appropriate visa, have lived & worked there legally for a few years and then apply for Permanent Residence

??? Hearsay you say???

If you have the correct qualifications and experience you can actually apply and be granted for a General Skills Migration visa without having ever having visited Australia. (or even step foot outside country of origin)

If you are non-CSL the wait is more like 3 years.

State Sponsored 6 months

Occupations on Critical Skills List 6-9 Months

Employee Sponsored PR - 3-5 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I am " here" and I "say"

I am a Permanent Resident

I never lived and worked in Australia* prior to becoming a PR.

* except for a WHV a long time ago but that does not count

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

My wife and I were in a very similar situation to you. Got married and moved to Sydney within 6 months to travel/see the country.
    We took 6 weeks to travel around. I would advice this (but longer if you have funds) before looking for work.

Key thing for you is if you/or wife/husband get sponsorship you can add your spouse as defacto.

We were on a work holiday visa (you must be under 31yrs old). Had a lot of trouble getting interview until we started telling the white lie that our partner was sponsored.

My wife got a job pretty quickly and after a month told the employer I got offered a better job but was not sponsored. Her company then offered to sponsor her and she included me on the application.
    To soften it she offered to pay all fees but they were having none of it. You can stay up to 4 years on sponsored 457 and in the meantime look at getting a residency visa.
    To be honest it was stressful waiting for the visa and a lot of questions were asked by the immigration. Make sure you break as much documentation with you as possible, ie longform birth cert, marriage cert, english degree cert's, etc.

Good luck

Advertisement