Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clampers About?

• 07-01-2010 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Have many cars being clamped over the last few days in the City Centre? I would imagine a lot of people have abandoned their cars, especially last night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know, but there was a van clamped down the road earlier, but that was probably towed from a nearby bus lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

WindSock wrote: »
    Have many cars being clamped over the last few days in the City Centre? I would imagine a lot of people have abandoned their cars, especially last night.

Dublin city aren't clamping as they normally would. You can ring the parking number and let them know you had to abandon the car wherever to let them know, and apparently they wont clamp it. This would be for dublin city council clampers and not the other private clamper's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You'd think with their money shortfall this year they'd be clamping every abandoned car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

Davy wrote: »
    Dublin city aren't clamping as they normally would. You can ring the parking number and let them know you had to abandon the car wherever to let them know, and apparently they wont clamp it. This would be for dublin city council clampers and not the other private clamper's.

Just phoned them and although sympathetic said that officially clamping was still in operation in Dublin and that because I abandoned my car in a legal space it was liable to be clamped... Apparantly I should have dumped it illegally somewhere, then I'd be ok...
    You just can't beat the logic in that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Aykina wrote: »
    Just phoned them and although sympathetic said that officially clamping was still in operation in Dublin and that because I abandoned my car in a legal space it was liable to be clamped... Apparantly I should have dumped it illegally somewhere, then I'd be ok...

In fairness they have to still be saying that in any case other its going to be abused completely.

Normal scenario your car would have been long clamped by now, but chances it wont be yet. Im sure they are allowing a certain amount of time, for cars that aren't causing a nuance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Clamping is not in operation in Dublin for the last couple of days but understandably Dublin City Council want to keep that fairly quiet. The official line is still if you park illegally your car is liable to be clamped.

Fair enough!
    Still thawing off here, been a long day... am secretly hoping for car rescue fairies instead of stealth anti-clamp policies tbh ;)

Aykina wrote: »
    No.

There are 3 scenarios
    Pay parking
    Free parking
    No parking

If you are in a pay parking area you are likely to be clamped or ticketed. If you are in a no parking area, you are likely to be towed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why would your car be abandoned in the CC, conditions aren't that bad

why would your car be abandoned in the CC, conditions aren't that bad

Agreed CC roads are fine now but conditions were nuts Wednesday night, there was a line of cars and vans all slipping backwards down Infirmary Hill at one stage! It was nasty, I was not in full control and terrified I'd slide backwards into a parked car or pedestrian.

Anyway, it's rescued now, and was clamp free :)

Walking around I did notice quite a few clamped cars in Smithfield area and around the quays though so it's def back to clamping business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Just so people know it's still free parking after 2pm thursday-saturday and all sunday, around Capel st and jervis area anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mudbingo

I parked before 9 pm on hatch street on a Saturday night-there were plenty of parking spaces,-and thinking parking was free at that time- I went to see a friend gigging at Crawdaddys- I came out to find my car clamped-I had to pay an 80 euro fine and wait for over an hour to be released.For my ignorance of the parking situation-I would prefer to pay a fine -of say even 40 euro as elsewhere-but this fine level -and penal time waiting clamp removal, seems excessive?-perhaps we can learn from the People of Paris -who regailed against clampers-by superglueing the clamp locks-and clamping was stopped in Paris. Could this catch on in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mudbingo wrote: »
    perhaps we can learn from the People of Paris

Or perhaps people could just learn to read signs before assuming they can park where ever they like.

-perhaps we can learn from the People of Paris -who regailed against clampers-by superglueing the clamp locks-and clamping was stopped in Paris. Could this catch on in Dublin
    Perhaps the council can retaliate by supergluing your car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

WindSock wrote: »

Which city? :mad:

[/extremely short rant about the Dublino-centric minds of some people]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

number10a wrote: »

It narrows it down to the only two towns in Ireland actually big enough to be called cities ;) You have a 50:50 chance of getting it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

markpb wrote: »
    It narrows it down to the only two towns in Ireland actually big enough to be called cities ;) You have a 50:50 chance of getting it right.

Yea, Dublin or Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cionád wrote: »
    Yea, Dublin or Belfast.

Belfast is In Northern Ireland, not Ireland.
    :p
    so that narrows it down even further :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Belfast is In Northern Ireland, not Ireland.

I was refferring to Ireland, the island. :D

OK, knock it off folks, that post was months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

number10a wrote: »

The only one that counts obviously, THE city if you will.

None of those fake ones such as a certain place that thinks is the 'peoples' one count.

In making a mistake in thinking that there was no charge for parking in Hatch Street at night -I would expect a fine in the region of 40 euro.An 80 euro fine ,waiting so long for the clamp to be removed,seems so excessive.There is no clamping in areas of Dublin where people lobbied against it.People in Paris eventually lobbied,with success, in their own way-by persons unknown-- gluing the clamps-the clampers got fed up and clamping was stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

In making a mistake in thinking that there was no charge for parking in Hatch Street at night -I would expect a fine in the region of 40 euro.An 80 euro fine ,waiting so long for the clamp to be removed,seems so excessive.There is no clamping in areas of Dublin where people lobbied against it.People in Paris eventually lobbied,with success, in their own way-by persons unknown-- gluing the clamps-the clampers got fed up and clamping was stopped.

Most people generally agreed that after clamping was introduced, it was easier to get parking. People were seriously abusing the on-street parking and they've more or less stopped. Yes it's expensive but it's meant to be a serious deterrent, not a bee sting. I totally agree than a hour to declamp you was excessive.

perhaps when business's have gone home at night -clamping should not be enforced while there is so much available parking space.I think it's the excessive fine and military like vengeful enforcement that has gotten peoples backs up-who lobbied,in their own way, against clamping

Advertisement