Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AutoCAD Courses?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Looking into doing some sort of AutoCAD course, preferably without spending alot of money if it's possible.....

Live in the midlands and have engineering/CAD experience but think I need to get a solid AutoCAD qualification on my CV.

Wondering if anyone could recommend any CAD courses in the midlands or Dublin. Would probably prefer a daytime course if possible but it seems most are night courses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 demons

HI chippy123

I done an AutoCAD 2D course with the dublin institute of design about 18 months ago, theyre based in dublin at the bottom of grafton st cant remember the exact cost think it was in the region of 700-800 euros was on two nights a week tuesdays and thursday, 6:30-9:00 pm they also offered courses on saturday mornings, there is the option of a 3 D course to follow.

if as you say you have previopus experience of AutoCAD you'll fly it there was a good mix in my course some experienced users and some who had no knowledge at all.

hope this helps

Demons

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

i done an autocad course with fas, and you get a city and guilds qualificcation from it.
    started off with the basics and worked all the way to 3d modelling. got paid to do it too!
    worth havin a look at the fas website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Chippy123

cheers lads for that....looking into various options right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Chippy123 wrote: »
    cheers lads for that....looking into various options right now.

Any sort of decent experience is going to leave you knowing a lot more than the guys who came out of these courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

Mellor wrote: »
    Any sort of decent experience is going to leave you knowing a lot more than the guys who came out of these courses.

Most of the guys that come out of those course's know feck all.The more experience you have the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

Mellor wrote: »
    Whyno wrote: »
    Most of the guys that come out of those course's know feck all.The more experience you have the better.

I have to completely disagree with those two comments. I completed an AutoCAD course almost 3 years ago in 2D & 3D. Anybody can pick up the basics of AutoCAD and indeed over time be quite good but there is so much more to AutoCAD that you don't learn through messing about with it. Unless it is completely necessary to jump head first into it then I would definately recommend a training course.

Of course on the other hand when I started in an engineering consultancy it took me a long time to get up to speed with using AutoCAD for a particular purpose but I'd much rather have the background I had through training then nothing at all.

If AutoCAD is self thought for a particular purpose or discipline then that is all you'll ever be good for. Learn the entire basics of AutoCAD through formal training and you'll have many more options and paths open to you down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Daragh86 wrote: »
    If AutoCAD is self thought for a particular purpose or discipline then that is all you'll ever be good for. Learn the entire basics of AutoCAD through formal training and you'll have many more options and paths open to you down the line.

Agree to an extent - if you're doing the course as you're out of work and you want to gain a qualification in CAD that's fine, I did a course while I was working through a company in Dundrum - intensive but excellent and was very expensive. Company paid for it.. however, if you won't be using it regularly and gaining experience with it then the value of that training will dwindle away quite quickly.

Make sure you get mock projects or drawings to keep working on if at all possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

You could try EduCAD Professional. They do SolidWorks courses and offer a good package. Opportunity to get a City and Guilds cert at the end.

www.educadprofessional.com

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Daragh86 wrote: »
    I have to completely disagree with those two comments. I completed an AutoCAD course almost 3 years ago in 2D & 3D. Anybody can pick up the basics of AutoCAD and indeed over time be quite good but there is so much more to AutoCAD that you don't learn through messing about with it. Unless it is completely necessary to jump head first into it then I would definately recommend a training course.

I never said messing about with it. I was refering to months to years of hard graft. Decent exp.
    If you need to learn Autocad now, instantly for work, a course is the only option. If it's a hobby, then at your own pace is best.

I've never done a course and, with no disprespect, I can safely say I better than every single person leaving a course. I didn't learn this messing about on my own, this is years spent with CAD professionally.

There is no reason why a course can't be the best. But i've seen the syllabus for some of the "top" courses in the country. And there are badly structured, go into detail in areas its not needed and don't explain the basics very well.

Before I left Ireland, I was offered a job teaching CAD.

What's the weather like in Bondi? Do you go round wearing a skirt made from thatch? Reading a book by James Michener that has women wearing them on the front cover.

Alas, I have to agree with Mellor - learning CAD on the job is much more productive. Things tend to stick in the mind much quicker as you're actually designing with the intent of manufacturing the goods so you don't want to make a single mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dara2009

Anyone done any of those courses with Educad? I've 2+ plus years using CAD software and looking for a good Solidworks course. Prices seem fairly high, but may need a course as don't have Solidworks at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 c_uboid88

Anyone know of any SolidEdge courses you can do preferably in the Dublin area? I have a background in Physics and I'd like to get some kind of qualification in SolidEdge or SolidWorks to bump up the old CV!..Can anyone recommend the Solid Solutions course on SolidWorks?

Dara2009 wrote: »
    Anyone done any of those courses with Educad? I've 2+ plus years using CAD software and looking for a good Solidworks course. Prices seem fairly high, but may need a course as don't have Solidworks at work.

Did the course after beginners with EduCAD (not sure of name of it). It's good to get you up to scratch on a lot of things. Doesn't go in-depth into any one particular area but scratches on the surface of a lot of different topics. expensive but if you feel it will get you a job then go for it. At the end of the day this is what you want from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 darka

Can recommend FAS tutors in the Cabra. They are a great teachers... :)

And... don't go to the Dublin institute of design - them base is so weak. Computers released probably after 1st WWW.., crashing every 30minutes, tutorial literature is scanned from everythere, no car parking etc. :D Don't go buddy here, don't go.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

This thread is pretty old but in case I get a reply.... anyone have any recommendation for an autocad course in dublin or have any recent experience whether it be bad,fair or good in such courses here in dublin?

Advertisement