Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Desktop Problems

Options
  • 07-01-2010 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am running Windows Vista Business Service Pack 2 and am having problems allowing other users to connect via Remote Desktop. I have gone through most forums online and still cant figure out where the problem lies.

I have selected the "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop" and "Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer, and when I "netstat -a" I can see the computer listening on port 3389.

I can telnet from other machines into mine on port 3389 and actually see them communicating with my machine by using "netstat -a" again, but I still cant get connected via Remote Desktop. All I get is:
    "This computer can't connect to the remote compuer. Try connecting again. If problem continues, contact owner of the remote computer or your network administrator"

I am attepting to login with the Administrator details, and I have checked the user permissions for remote desktop, but I am not even getting that far unfortunately.

Any ideas?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

First off.

How are you trying to get people to connect, over the Internet or over a LAN?

Secondly are you using a firewall on your PC / Network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭gogul

I am currently trying to connect over the LAN and neither machine has a firewall in place.

Did you check to make the windows firewall isnt on?

I know that MS released a new version recently, im currently using v 6.1.7600.16385 on XP Pro

windows firewall is not enabled on either machine either.

Can you RDP from the Vista machine to an XP machine?

You could also try and disable UAC, through MSCONFIG

• Advertisement

Also are you trying to connect by IP or Comp Name

You could also try mstsc /v IP address

Just throwing any ideas I have out there :)

Also try mstsc /admin IP address

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Make sure you have your lan connection set to home under network and sharing centre: also check through to settings in there as well and make sure there is nothing blocking remote desktop.

Have to run now, hope you get it sorted.

If not, post back and Ill have another look over the weekend

G'luck

I am trying to connect via IP address but I have successfully pinged and telnetted by computer name too. I have tried mstsc but same problem as above.
    Both machines are Vistas; which one do you want to know if it can connect to an XP machine? The client or the server (so to speak)?
    Just to added some extra items, the machine I want to connect to is able to access other machines fine via RD, and the machine that wants to connect is able to connect to all other computers, and receive RD connections ok too.
    I have also removed AV software and tried changing the port of the RD.
    UAC is long disabled (what a pain that is!)
    uberpixie: I'm not sure what you mean by "home"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Is there any information in the event logs of the machine you're trying to connect to?

• Advertisement

Hi mickoneill30,
    There is an error in the System EventViewer but it only occurs very occasionally, not every time I try to connect:

"The Terminal Server security layer detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client."
    Source:TermDD
    EventId:56

I cant seem to find a good reason for this problem online, but just to be sure I have just updated my NIC drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Check your event logs for event ID 4356

Log: Application
    Source: EventSystem
    ID: 4356
    Description: The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber {28778B62-8481-400D-8E8A-A4C81ED3F65C}. StandardCreateInstance returned HRESULT 8000401a.

Take note of the CLSID = 28778B62-8481-400D-8E8A-A4C81ED3F65C

1) Open regedit (click ‘Start’ >> type ‘regedit’ in the Start Search field >> hit enter) and do a search for the CLSID,

2) Once you have found the branch, find the common name for the CLSID by looking at the data under the ‘(Default)’ key. Copy or remember the name.

3) Close regedit, and open a new MMC (click ‘Start’ >> type ‘mmc’ in the Start Search field >> hit enter)

4) Hit <CTRL>+M and select ‘Component Services’ on the left, select ‘ADD’ and select ‘OK’

5) Drill down to Component Services>Computers>My Computer>DCOM Config

6) Find the item by looking for the same name that you found in step 2.
    ** If you find multiple items with the same name you may need to right click the name, select properties and verify the ‘Application ID’ is that same as the CLSID in the event ID **

7) Right-click the name and select properties, Select the ‘Security’ Tab
    8) Change the Configuration Permissions to ‘Default’ instead of ‘Customize’, select ok

9) Reboot

This should sort it.

Hi Joe, I have seen that solution in other forums alright, but unfortunately i dont have any record of eventID: 4356 anywhere in any of the logs. Also, there are no other logs occurring at the same time as this particular error

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rudedog

The only thing i can suggest is remove the antivirus software, as i had a similar problem in the past and this solved it. But you have removed this and it did not work by the looks of things. :confused:

Hi rudedog,

Yeah I have removed all AV software and still no joy. Firewall is off and I have disabled any other services in msconfig that may be interfering with connectivity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I think the technical term for this is "it's shagged".
    RDP isn't that complicated and you're doing the right stuff.
    There may be some hardware problem with your network card.

Is it possible to try an alternative like RealVNC to see if that works for you.
    Maybe it would be worth looking at Wireshark to see if your server machine is doing anything weird on the network.
    If you had a spare network card it would be no harm to put it in there and put that on your network and try connecting using that.

Have you ruled out your client machine. i.e. your client can connect to other machines using mstsc too?

Advertisement