Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two Questions Regarding Electrics

• 07-01-2010 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭

I've noticed on many modern cars, that when the Unlcok Button is pressed on the Key Fob, as the car unlocks, the interior / exterior lights switch on also. Is there a way to programming a car to do so?

Great! Will have a look see on Ebay.

Another Question Regarding Electrics could I set oit to get the Auto Lock (Anti-Hyjack) Feature which cars such as Mercs have had from the Late 90's. Basically, when you go over about 20MPH, the car automatically Locks itself, and upon parking, auto releases itself. Any info, appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

there are usually a few settings on the light switch to sort this problem out, just select the one that had a pic of the doors opening and it should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I've noticed on many modern cars, that when the Unlcok Button is pressed on the Key Fob, as the car unlocks, the interior / exterior lights switch on also. Is there a way to programming a car to do so?
    Anyone with any information on this, much appreciated!

Actually has nothing to do with modern or old cars. My 10 year old BMW does that. (The interiour lights that is)

I guess you could try to check around car accessory shops or ebay for a retrofit kind of light control. Wouldn't wonder me, if somebody has come up with a universal one.

In general, either you car has that or it doesn't. If it's not there in the first place, you wouldn't be able to "program" it in. You'll need to buy and install the electric components to do this for you.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

The exterior lights on thing seems to only be in modern cars, as far as I can make out. But the interior lights is not so fancy and new. My car is '99 and when I hit the fob on they come.. Is there any other purpose to these lights other than guidance in the darkness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

I know of the interior lights illuminating, but on modernish cars, the whole dash lights. So there is know way around this apart from going under the dash. Anyone with info, regarding in particular a 2007 Facelifted Saloon Avensis [Strata]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I know of the interior lights illuminating, but on modernish cars, the whole dash lights. So there is know way around this apart from going under the dash. Anyone with info, regarding in particular a 2007 Facelifted Saloon Avensis [Strata]

Whats the need to have it off? A lot of cars do this now. My GFs focus does it. Only stays on for a min or two.

• Advertisement

Whats the need to have it off? A lot of cars do this now. My GFs focus does it. Only stays on for a min or two.

He wants it on, not off. His car doesn't do it at all. In general, all you'd need a relay, that interacts with your central-locking and that turns your low-beams or parking light on for an amount of time.

As I said, try search ebay, you might get lucky to find a universal solution. If the new Avensis have this feature, you might even be able to retrofit it from there, but I'm not sure, if they have.

/M

Another Question Regarding Electrics could I set on an 07 avensis to get the Auto Lock (Anti-Hyjack) Feature which cars such as Mercs have had from the Late 90's. Basically, when you go over about 20MPH, the car automatically Locks itself, and upon parking, auto releases itself. Any info, appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely an 07 avensis would have at least the interior light function. Its crazy if it doesnt.
    IF you do have the interior function, Im sure a person who is reasonable with electronics could link up an auto exterior light function from the control of the interior system.

Another Question Regarding Electrics could I set on an 07 avensis to get the Auto Lock (Anti-Hyjack) Feature which cars such as Mercs have had from the Late 90's. Basically, when you go over about 20MPH, the car automatically Locks itself, and upon parking, auto releases itself. Any info, appreciated.

That is something all cars have in the U.S., so I would think it should be easy to find.

/M

mickdw wrote: »
    Surely an 07 avensis would have at least the interior light function. Its crazy if it doesnt.
    IF you do have the interior function, Im sure a person who is reasonable with electronics could link up an auto exterior light function from the control of the interior system.

Yeah it does, but the dash, Odometers, Exterier Lights don't light. Anyone know of how to activate this? or the Auto Lock?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Marlow wrote: »
    He wants it on, not off. His car doesn't do it at all....................
    /M

I see Mr Toyota edited his post to say this AFTER I'd asked the question so I presumed he wanted it off as he stated it happened on modern cars and well....his is modern!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does the Avensis definately not have the auto locking? Even my 00 Clio had that. It was activated by pressing and holding the interior lockign button on the dash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

I think he means when he moves over 5kph the doors lock, this can be turned on by a toyota dealer- most places don't charge for this. Its done with the toyota computer under customize settings.

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    I think he means when he moves over 5kph the doors lock, this can be turned on by a toyota dealer- most places don't charge for this. Its done with the toyota computer under customize settings.

Thats what I'm talking about too. On Renaults it's activated and deactivated using the door locking button (the one on the dash that activates the central locking)

Stekelly wrote: »
    Thats what I'm talking about too. On Renaults it's activated and deactivated using the door locking button (the one on the dash that activates the central locking)
    Appreciate your contribution but what you're describing isn't what I'm looking for. I understand what your talking about having driven a 00' Renault myself. The Avensis has that feature built into the car, and can be activated by a switch on the door panel, above electric window controls.
    What I'm looking for, however is an "anti-hijack" feature wheras whilst I'm pulling off having started the car, the doors will automatically lock themselves and re open themselves upon arriving at my destination. Its a security feature many Mercs have had since the 90's and as a poster already mentioned, its as standard on all vehicles throughout the US.
    Does anyone know if this can be set like a DIY Job? Attention to anyone with experiance on this model aswel if you would have any idea. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My S40 has the anti-hijack feature, the doors automatically lock when you go abouve 10kph. It also has the follow me home lights that can be switched on via the steering wheel stalk or remote fob when you enter/leave the car. You can set the time delay via the centre console menu for 30, 60 or 90 seconds.

My previous Focus and Avensis didn't have any of these features. From memory none of the 03 to 09 Avensis doesn't have any of these features either bar maybe the top of the range SOL model. The Avensis does have a master switch on the driver's door though to lock/open the doors from the inside, when I had one I just got into the habbit of locking the doors as soon as I started the car.

Appreciate your contribution but what you're describing isn't what I'm looking for. I understand what your talking about having driven a 00' Renault myself. The Avensis has that feature built into the car, and can be activated by a switch on the door panel, above electric window controls.
    What I'm looking for, however is an "anti-hijack" feature wheras whilst I'm pulling off having started the car, the doors will automatically lock themselves and re open themselves upon arriving at my destination. Its a security feature many Mercs have had since the 90's and as a poster already mentioned, its as standard on all vehicles throughout the US.
    Does anyone know if this can be set like a DIY Job? Attention to anyone with experiance on this model aswel if you would have any idea. Thanks.

Its basically the same thing. The Renault locks the doors at 4mph. Granted it doesnt automatically unlock the doors when you stop but pulling the handle on either of the two front doors opens all doors.

I woudl have thought that was fairly standard on most cars now, at least mid sized ones.

I'd say have a chat with a good auto electrician and see if they can come up with something. These guys know the ins and outs of cars and will tell you if it can be done straight away.

If you are not familiar with car electrics then the DIY approach might cause you more problems than it solves.

I don't think any of them unlock the doors when you stop, that would kind of defeat the purpose of anti-hijacking, if you stopped at traffic lights and the doors unlocked then someone could open a door from the outside.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't think any of them unlock the doors when you stop, that would kind of defeat the purpose of anti-hijacking, if you stopped at traffic lights and the doors unlocked then someone could open a door from the outside.

I would have thought so too, but not up on the ins and outs of mercs system so wasnt in a position to argue.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    I would have thought so too, but not up on the ins and outs of mercs system so wasnt in a position to argue.

I should have made it clearer, the doors unlock as the key is being removed from the ignitition upon exiting of the car.

I should have made it clearer, the doors unlock as the key is being removed from the ignitition upon exiting of the car.

Havnt heard of that, but still , as i was saying, they unlock when you pull the door handle anyway so much of a muchness really.

Advertisement