Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music practical higher guitar?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

hi, im teaching guitar and a student is asking me about practicals he can do for leaving cert higher....

he wants to have practical count for 50% so he said he needs to do 6 pieces...

i have him ready for the listening and composition and harmony side with past papers etc...,

he is playing for 5 years, likes rock mostly but quite gifted so could play anything if he practiced ......but i can't find any material on how people are graded for their practical, or which pieces and styles would be appropriate...

any advice would be appreciated.:)..i want him to really impress and get serious high grades with this as he is naturally musical....

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

Hey, I'm a leaving cert student doing classical guitar for my practical, I'll share the bit I know.

In general, I think you're expected to have at least a Grade 3-4 standard on your instrument. Now, if your student is not doing grades that doesn't make the slightest difference, as long as you have a general idea of the kind of standard expected. If he has been playing for 5 years, I would imagine his standard of playing is more than what's required.

As for style, it's really anything goes! I know people who have played heavy metal for their JC/LC practicals and gotten an A! That said, the examiner is more likely to prefer something more classical, but at the end of the day, if the standard is good, the marks are given. He would definitely be better off sticking within his comfort zone as long as the examiner can see that he is able to play his instrument to decent standard.

Also, don't forget to prepare for the unseen test. If your student is a rock guitarist, I would definitely recommend the rhythm guitar sight reading, it just involves playing some simple enough chords, very easy to get full marks on for a guitarist. The unseen test does not need to be on the same instrument as the performance pieces.

Hope that helped, happy to answer any more questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 trishwithafada

go onto www.examinations.ie there's lots of info on the music practicals!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 carminaburana

The advice given by whirl is very sound advice indeed. Play within comfort zone, varying style as much as is comfortable. Only thing I disagree with, is the fact that the examiner may prefer a classical style. They love it all!
    And sound advice re. rhythm guitar Sight-reading. Keep the pulse as dictated by the Time Signature, change chord on the beat AS DIRECTED. Yes, you need 6 pieces if you are doing solo guitar. Don't forget to work on the listening paper! This can be the tricky one for many students.
    Bestaluk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

thanks so much for the advice...really appreciate it :)

i talked to him about which pieces to pick....im thinking

radiohead - street spirit
    beethoven - moonlight sonata
    hendrix - little wing
    1979 - smashing pumpkins
    maybe 1 other classical piece and something old school blues....

im not sure if he can bring an electric / fx in with a backing tape to do lead guitar? or does the lead have to happen with no backing and no amplification....

if he's doing a practical elective....the total exam would consist of....

practical 50%
    *6 pieces
    * 1 unprepared site reading test (playing chords only?)

Composition 25%
    *melody writing (continuing a musical piece with your own melody with sufficient dynamics and variety)
    *harmony writing (adding bass notes / chord to a piece)

Listening 25%
    *questions on 4 set works...beatles and classical artists etc...
    *essay on irish music and evolution/influence

once again thanks for the help...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I amn't doing music for the leaving cert (Although I wish I did but it's too late to change now) but I do play guitar.

He could try Voodoo Child by Hendrix. It's not too difficult and it will impress any examiner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

thanks so much for the advice...really appreciate it :)

i talked to him about which pieces to pick....im thinking

radiohead - street spirit
    beethoven - moonlight sonata
    hendrix - little wing
    1979 - smashing pumpkins
    maybe 1 other classical piece and something old school blues....

Sounds good, good mix there!
    im not sure if he can bring an electric / fx in with a backing tape to do lead guitar? or does the lead have to happen with no backing and no amplification....

Amplification is fine and I'm pretty sure a backing track is ok, not 100% on that one though.
    if he's doing a practical elective....the total exam would consist of....

practical 50%
    *6 pieces
    * 1 unprepared site reading test (playing chords only?)

Yep, he can do rhythm guitar sight reading, there are examples on http://www.examinations.ie

Composition 25%
    *melody writing (continuing a musical piece with your own melody with sufficient dynamics and variety)
    *harmony writing (adding bass notes / chord to a piece)

Listening 25%
    *questions on 4 set works...beatles and classical artists etc...
    *essay on irish music and evolution/influence

once again thanks for the help...

No problem!

Advertisement