Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are Our Alternatives To Irelands Mess??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Funny story, but there are idiots in every party.

To be honest, I`m not sure if I even care about a United Ireland anymore. I just dont think it matters if we have 32 county republic or a 26 county republic. While I accept that to some that sounds stupid, but would things really change that much? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

kev9100 wrote: »
    To be honest, I`m not sure if I even care about a United Ireland anymore. I just dont think it matters if we have 32 county republic or a 26 county republic. While I accept that to some that sounds stupid, but would things really change that much? I doubt it.

Well yeah the romantic idea of having an all Ireland state is always going to appeal even slightly to most Irish people. But when your faced with massive economic consequences, social upheavel (doubt unionists would take to it lightly both potically and socially) its tough to justify. Its not a simple matter of painting all the post boxes green don't you know. Another thing occurs to me as well, surely Sinn Fein have some massive plan outlined for the unification of Ireland to deal with all the inevitable problems? Some how doubt it. It would have been viable soon after the foundation of the free state maybe, but at the moment Ireland would be on its knees for years if that was to happen tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Another thing occurs to me as well, surely Sinn Fein have some massive plan outlined for the unification of Ireland to deal with all the inevitable problems? Some how doubt it. It would have been viable soon after the foundation of the free state maybe, but at the moment Ireland would be on its knees for years if that was to happen tomorrow.

What inevitable problems? This isn't the unification of east and west germany. The only real problem is the public subisdy payment that runs N.I. and sure and we used to that at present anyway - at least we coudl demand Britain pay for that as thye built it up.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

What inevitable problems? This isn't the unification of east and west germany. The only real problem is the public subisdy payment that runs N.I. and sure and we used to that at present anyway - at least we coudl demand Britain pay for that as thye built it up.....

Amen.
    The economic arguement of East Germany is rubbish as if we really need to build factories, railways and roads. Its about twice the size of County Cork and the only people that need to worry about their jobs are the ridiculous amount of NI Civil Servants involved .... but then maybe they are the ones making the most noise against reunification.

Amen.
    The economic arguement of East Germany is rubbish as if we really need to build factories, railways and roads. Its about twice the size of County Cork and the only people that need to worry about their jobs are the ridiculous amount of NI Civil Servants involved .... but then maybe they are the ones making the most noise against reunification.

There doesn't need to be an economic argument.. Simply put, there's enough people on both sides of the border that have no interest in it happening. It means nothing to them (myself included) anymore. Might as well add Wales to Ireland. Same difference except from a geographical angle. For many people, the only things that have come out of the North during our lifetimes has been trouble..

• Advertisement
Advertisement