Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could the Irish do Garage and Yard sales?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

I'll be moving house in a few months and I'll have heaps of things to get rid of. I've done carboot sales (organised some and I love them) but there are just too few in the West of Ireland for me to get rid of everything and they're only on Sundays. So here's what I'm thinking...

A Garage/ yard sale. I live in a housing estate (modern so it's carpark spaces out the front of my house and not actual garden). I was thinking of approaching the residents assoc. to ask them for permission so I cause no offence.

Has anyone been to other Garage sales locally? Were they any good? Were they well attended?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The only ones I've been to are advertised as moving away clearouts and give list of the main items.
    It's a good idea but you'll get all sorts (and i mean in a negative way) turning up

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where I come from, garage sales are a regular Saturday morning sport. The newspapers have a special advertising section on Saturdays, listing where they're going to be. Early Saturday (no matter what start-time you put in), the crowds start - early on it's the second-hand dealers looking for stuff for their shops, later it's the folks who do it for a hobby, or perhaps those who need to kit out a flat.

Not sure it'd work here: because rental properties come fitted with everything down to the toaster, there's not the market for 2nd hand stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

We don't have Craigslist. :( /misses the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

You can post some of your stuff on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Fenster wrote: »
    We don't have Craigslist. :( /misses the US

Craigslist has an Ireland page:

http://dublin.craigslist.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

dafunk wrote: »
    Craigslist has an Ireland page:

http://dublin.craigslist.org/

Yeah, but the traffic is nothing like it is in the US - but have to say it IS getting better.

Jumbletown.ie
    Adverts.ie (free section too)
    Freecycle
    Gumtree and a bunch of others.

Yeah, yardsaling isn't the 'sport' that it is in the US unfortunately, but I think if a bunch of folks in an estate got together and made a day of it it might go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I have gotten rid of stuff on Gum tree (no Galway section so it's tough), Jumbletown (again not a big Galway contingant), freecycle, and through carboot sales.

I was happiest with carbooting cos you cleared a lot of clobber in one day, and you made a few bob. Also, a lot of the stuff is small so advertising it for sale on something like Gumtree is a bit embarrasing and wouldn't sell I imagine. I was thinking of mentioning it to the residents assoc. of my estate and asking other neighbours to join in. I know in France some small towns do and annual attic clear and all the residents clear out there stuff, dealers and hobbiests (if you get my drift) come from all over.

I organise an annual carboot myself every May but that's to late for me and I can't have a stall at it anymore because it got too big:D

I know you get oddballs at these things (maybe I'm the oddball at other peoples carboot sales!!:eek:) but with a few mates and neighbours maybe I can put the kettle on and make a pleasant day of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

Garage sales are just typically American, don't think they really work here. Might have a little something to do with the Irish weather..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Greaney I think it's a great idea. Give it a try and if it doesn't work it's no big deal. Can you divulge which estate because I'd go to it if it was organised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

:confused: why is this phrased as a question of national significance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Garage sales are just typically American, don't think they really work here. Might have a little something to do with the Irish weather..?

Nope: they're a big thing where I come from, and that sure ain't the states, bro.

Garages mean that the weather isn't such an issue.

Yard sales, on the other hand, are more of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

They do happen all over, but the Americans have a particular fondness for them! I've been at ones in the UK, Denmark, etc, but they're not as common!

America is a big place with a lot of different weather,:p hence some places they'd call them yard sales, other garage sales, but they were pretty interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

no because the weather.

you cant plan ahead etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

God I miss garage sales and craigslist.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

no because the weather.

you cant plan ahead etc etc.

Why can't it be done because of the weather? If every outdoor event in Ireland was based on weather conditions then nothing would ever happen. Sure, bad weather wouldn't be nice for a yard sale but should it prevent it from happening? They happen in England a lot and I don't think their weather is that much different overall to ours...and I know Galway gets lots of rain but big deal. Use an umbrella ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Don't forget to invite the taxman :pac:

I remember seeing a yard sale once, just once, the whole thing went south fast with scummers turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I'm really happy with all the replies, from what I can gather from all your feedback I've concluded this

On the positive

:DSome of ye would turn up if I gave ye the heads up
    :D The weather's not a problem if I just borrow a mates pagoda (seriously folks, that's overcomeable)

On the negative

:(Some seriously dodgey characters might turn up and ruin it for everyone
    :(Gotta be clear and later about my times so that I get the nice neighbourly browsers and not just dealers and dodgeys

I've one neighbour who said she'd do it if I did. I mentioned it to the residents association who've no objection ....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

Hiya,
    Did you ever do this? I think it would be a great idea though the most difficult part will be getting the lazy Irish off their a$$es and organized! :D It would be a bit sad after advertising it and it is only you on the side of the road :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread is 3 years old.

There's a more recent here you can use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement