Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will it last?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

So how long is this crazy weather gonna last? Will it get worse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Another ten days anyway according to Met Eireann.

Maybe some of the weather fanatics could explain to you why :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

www.rte.ie/radio1 now!

Some guy called Jonathan Powell of Positive Weather Solutions. He is talking of late Febuary before this fully passes. Dunno how he arrives at that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Another ten days anyway according to Met Eireann.

Maybe some of the weather fanatics could explain to you why :p:p:p

it's most likely because you told the snow to bugger off. That was a big mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's because there's a recessesion going on and I can prove it with science.

80s -94 no money, bloody freezing winters.
    Celtic Tiger - loads of money, warm winters.
    Now - **** all money, bloody freezing weather.

See? Science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Joe Bastardi of Accuweather was saying the same thing a month or more back, a long cold winter like something from the time of Charles Dickens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

mike65 wrote: »
    www.rte.ie/radio1 now!

Some guy called Jonathan Powell of Positive Weather Solutions. He is talking of late Febuary before this fully passes. Dunno how he arrives at that conclusion.
    Yeah, I heard it too a few minutes ago. It was a pretty pointless interview, the interviewer didn't even ask him how he came to that conclusion, in fact the interviewer didn't ask him any questions, he just gasped in mock shock horror.
    yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

it's most likely because you told the snow to bugger off. That was a big mistake!

The first one revenge..... We all know about a woman scorned:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    It's because there's a recessesion going on and I can prove it with science.

80s -94 no money, bloody freezing winters.
    Celtic Tiger - loads of money, warm winters.
    Now - **** all money, bloody freezing weather.

See? Science.

And secondly nature is connected to the financial markets... Interesting, didn't think Mother Nature was on the NASDAQ or Dow Jones payroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Latest indications from today's models are pretty consistent in ending this cold spell Tuesday. It's Atlantic business as usual from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

If it lasts much longer between the flooding and the snow this year well all be
    monk0802101370.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Su Campu wrote: »
    Latest indications from today's models are pretty consistent in ending this cold spell Tuesday. It's Atlantic business as usual from then on.

Hope you are right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Hope you are right

Me too. I so want this cold weather gone. I don't care if it rains for 40 days, as long as it's warm enough so there's no snow or ice anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, as someone who was flooded out and now iced up for over three weeks.....

Now a burst pipe too.....

What comes comes; but I wonder how many here know that the Greek word we get "enthusiast" from really means madness.

Seems the only ones who really want more and more snow and ice are the few here who are "enthusiasmos" ie crazy.

Or maybe some kind of masochism going on?

Anyways, they are to be greatly pitied;)

Here, we will take what comes of course; decided not to tell the landlord yet re the burst pipe as nothing can be done till it thaws anyways. It is not in any room I use, and now I know how the crazy plumbing here works and that I can use the washing machine AT LAST, although the kitchen tap is trying to freeze on me again.

Yes we do and will survive and enjoy the beauty,, BUT wishing more? Crazy .. Totally crazy. Y'day I prayed hard that the clouds here would pass us over and thank God they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Graces7 wrote: »
    Here, we will take what comes of course; decided not to tell the landlord yet re the burst pipe as nothing can be done till it thaws anyways. It is not in any room I use, and now I know how the crazy plumbing here works and that I can use the washing machine AT LAST, although the kitchen tap is trying to freeze on me again.

Yes we do and will survive and enjoy the beauty,, BUT wishing more? Crazy .. Totally crazy. Y'day I prayed hard that the clouds here would pass us over and thank God they did.

Would a burst pipe not start spraying everywhere and NOT stop when it starts to thaw? I'd get that sorted asap :eek:

If you leave one tap in the house slightly on continuously, even just a few little drops, it will reduce chances of pipes freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

The GFS has shown a gradual rise in 850hpa temps back to normal over the course of a few days for many recent runs. However, I note that it is pushing back that rise with each run. I haven't been watching the other models, but is the same thing happening there?

Exactly so, it makes you think in 8/9 days it'll change but then it pushes the change back another few days. I've given up believing the GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

mike65 wrote: »
    www.rte.ie/radio1 now!

I only listen to John Eagleton. Everyone else is a bluffer

For what it's worth, the extended forecast on Yahoo Weather (from the Weather Channel) seems to show a slight rise in temperatures from the end of next week for Dublin.

No idea if this is reliable but this cold spell has got to end sometime soon doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Ah sure, once the weather improves in Dublin it means that the weather in the rest of the country has improved as well.

live chart so this change

Rtavn38417.png

• Advertisement

It has barely thawed for more than a few hours here for weeks.

Nothing more has come through that wooden slat ceiling. Frozen water cannot spray..

So clearly a burst, it thawed a wee bit, then froze again.

What was on the ceiling was frozen.

Er,,, been leaving the tap on for weeks also.... very low temps up here. Sometimes that has helped sometimes not.

An odd system here ; Heath Robinson type. You have to see it to believe it. I have turned off the water to that side and drained as best i can as it thaws. Took me a day to work it all out.
    cormie wrote: »
    Would a burst pipe not start spraying everywhere and NOT stop when it starts to thaw? I'd get that sorted asap :eek:

If you leave one tap in the house slightly on continuously, even just a few little drops, it will reduce chances of pipes freezing.

How long is a piece of string...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

Graces7 wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string...
    Not sure ...6 inches to a foot maybe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Coming to an end in the middle of next week?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Not according to the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    The Eagle Eagleton's forecast tonight didn't go beyond Monday but you know those little charts at the end of the forecast that show 5 days ahead- Wednesday's chart showed winds coming from an easterly direction, that doesn't suggest a breakthrough by the Atlantic......... yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Not according to the experts.

But that is according to the Experts - Snowaddict, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

while some models suggest a slower transition than others, there is, it seems, broad consensus now between the models that there will be a gradual rise in temperatures from tuesday onwards, by the end of the week temperatures should be up to a balmy 5 or 6 in most places.

of course with the ground so cold, over such a long period, it's going to be very tricky for several days as the thaw sets in.

and so it is all things must pass. will it be 30 or 40 years before we see a cold event like this again???

while some models suggest a slower transition than others, there is, it seems, broad consensus now between the models that there will be a gradual rise in temperatures from tuesday onwards, by the end of the week temperatures should be up to a balmy 5 or 6 in most places.

Really? Met Eireann seems to think the cold temps will continue for quite a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

ECMWF keeps it going for another 8 days at least.

Advertisement