Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film and Television Portfolio IADT

Options
  • 07-01-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I applied for Film and Television Production in IADT a couple of months ago, just looking for some advice about the whole portfolio scenario...looking for some general do's and dont's when it comes to including/excluding stuff...also, just wondering what people in the course think of it, is it what you expected, do you like it...stuff like that!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tralaalaalaa

Anyone know when the portfolio is due to be handed in this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ShotgunBoy

Anyone know when the portfolio is due to be handed in this year?

Taken fom the IADT website(http://www.iadt.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/HowtoApply/PortfolioRequirements/):
    How does the portfolio assessment work?
    • IADT write to you in early March 2010 and inform you of your portfolio assessment date, this date will be between the 22nd & 26th of March 2010.
    • You deliver your portfolio to us on the morning of the specified date, complete with labels etc that have been supplied to you in the letter in (1) above.
    • Your portfolio will be assessed.
    • You collect your portfolio from us in the afternoon of the same day you dropped it into us.
    • IADT write to you before the end of May with your portfolio result.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shteve1990

I'm in the same boat here, mate. I've been pretty much going by the guidelines given IADT and my portfolio is near done - just need to fine tune my DVD and drawings.

I included:
    * DVD (with a Showreel of pretty much anything I've ever shot, the two short films and a music video)
    * Feature length script (complete with 10 pages of storyboards)
    * Two short film scripts (complete with storyboards, script breakdowns, location scouting sheets, daily progress reports, sound reports, etc.)
    * Script bible for TV series
    * 6 drawings
    * 2 paintings
    * 3 costume design drawings/sketches
    * 6 photographs
    * CD of self composed music (film score)
    * 2 sheets for Production Design (done on AutoCAD)
    * CV

Wow, how long did it take you to do that?!

To be honest, not too long-I felt the best way to go about it was to have a good gameplan and think ahead and stick to what I wanted (the feature length script was done last year but since then I've brushed up on it dialogue-wise).

What have you done for yours, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

Phew! I was wondering because I mine hasn't taken too long either!

To be honest I still haven't finished it but I know exactly what I'm doing so I'm just putting my head down. Mine includes:
    - Showreel of everything I've done
    - One film and one music video that can be watched in full
    - The scripts, storyboards etc for those two
    - A script for a short play
    - I wrote the song for the music video myself so I have the lyrics etc for that
    - C.V
    - A number of photos
    - I'm a rubbish artist so there's no paintings or anything like that. Even the storyboards were a stretch!
    - A summary, character sketch etc for a feature

And that's pretty much it so, fingers crossed!

That's sounds pretty cool, good luck to you, hope to get in this year

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Try and pretend that the people assessing the portfolio are thick. Make it easy for them to find the bits you want them to find.

Use a menu and even put in big arrows saying "look at me first".

Make sure everything is presented in a neat and tidy way.

And make sure it is clear the roles you undertook on the videos.

If you have any specific questions then ask away.

Cheers atgate, I was told something similar by my lecturer about how to REALLY need to explain everything clearly as if they didn't know anything about this.

One quick q - would you divide up the portfolio into different sections (e.g. one section for writings, the next for storyboards, the next for... etc) - making it easier for them to navigate?

Shteve1990 wrote: »
    One quick q - would you divide up the portfolio into different sections (e.g. one section for writings, the next for storyboards, the next for... etc) - making it easier for them to navigate?

Yeah, that's a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jonjo

Anyone got any vids on youtube of stuff they've put in they're portfolio?

Just curious! Might apply to this next year.

I used to have videos on YouTube (but some of em got taken down for copyright infringement)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emopy

i cant believe the portfolio assessment is dis month.

even tho my portfolio is practically finished, im worried ive gone in the wrong direction. :eek:

i feel like im goin 2 develop an ulcer,

:confused:

emopy wrote: »
    i cant believe the portfolio assessment is dis month.

even tho my portfolio is practically finished, im worried ive gone in the wrong direction. :eek:

i feel like im goin 2 develop an ulcer,

:confused:

Don't stress. Just do your best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 scarecrow00

is der a weight restriction on portfolios for film? and if so how strict is it, lik cud you get away with a small bit over the limit or is it like goin 2 the airport.

its just now that i think about it my portfolio case itself probly ways more den its contents. ( that might be a slight exaggeration) :eek:

The weight can't exceed 10 kilos

Did everyone here from IADT today regarding the dates for portfolio assesements?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kpaddypete

Hello,

My daughter is to present her portfolio in March for DL045 – BA (Hons) in Film and Television Production.

"Film/Video work – to be presented on DVD (PAL) only"
    Does this mean simply putting WMV movies on dvd for playing in a computer's dvd drive
    or
    do they have to be in dvd format for viewing in a dvd player.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

(Have phoned college but the relevant people are away til monday)

It has to be on a DVD format disc, I'm led to believe

kpaddypete wrote: »
    Hello,

My daughter is to present her portfolio in March for DL045 – BA (Hons) in Film and Television Production.

"Film/Video work – to be presented on DVD (PAL) only"
    Does this mean simply putting WMV movies on dvd for playing in a computer's dvd drive
    or
    do they have to be in dvd format for viewing in a dvd player.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

(Have phoned college but the relevant people are away til monday)

It has to be DVD PAL. That's the only format that we can guarantee to be able to screen. We assess the portfolios in a room and we're given a TV and a DVD player.

At least one of us (usually me) brings over a laptop so if we get sent a data DVD we try our best to view it but to be honest there are so many possible formats and codecs out there that asking for a bog standard DVD is the safest all round.

Just for clarity sake: The format to send in is a DVD Video Disc. PAL format.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JeanHarlow

I've also applied for this course and am scared witless now with the deadline fast approaching! :eek: My portfolio isn't finished yet! Stressing over what to include and over simple things such as how my CV should be layed out? :confused:

JeanHarlow wrote: »
    I've also applied for this course and am scared witless now with the deadline fast approaching! :eek: My portfolio isn't finished yet! Stressing over what to include and over simple things such as how my CV should be layed out? :confused:

Please don't stress out over things like CV layout (its not a job interview). Just make it as clear as possible and keep it neat and tidy.

As to what to include.... you can include as much as you like (within reason), but do try to put your best foot forward. Tell us the order in which to look at material. If there is one part that you are particularly proud of then point us too it.

And remember, everyone looking at the portfolios has years of experience at it. We're pretty good at digging out the best bits.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JeanHarlow

Thanks so much. That makes me feel a lot better :)

I just want to wish everyone good luck with their assessments next week

Shteve1990 wrote: »
    I just want to wish everyone good luck with their assessments next week

Ditto! Looking forward to seeing the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 trickortreat

AH so this is where everybody freaks out about their portfolios. ;) (new user)

i handed mine in today, got up at 5 in the morning to be there for 9, ( from tipp) :(

im relieved its handed in, i just hope my showreel played, it takes time to load..

and now we play the waiting game....:D

Mine DIDN'T play, I was very annoyed but the assesor that told me it didn't work said I could bring another copy on the day of the interview

aw thats a pain, but at least they told you, was yours yesterday to.

so does that mean if your showreel didnt play they would let you know or would they just watch other footage in your portfolio or maybe both,

Mine was on Monday morning. Well the guy who was handing it back to me said that the DVD didn't work (and that it was written on my portfolio receipt hat it didn't). He said that it just wouldn't load up so to reburn it for the interview and they'll watch it then

• Advertisement

yeah wel at least you have an interview, where you can explain and talk about things, id perfer that.

Advertisement