Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film and Television Portfolio IADT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JeanHarlow

alleystar wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering about the portfolio part of the course. I'm doing my portfolio at the min for the course. I'm kinda struggling at it though. I don't know what to do really for it. I've read the guidelines on the website, but I still have no ideas. Any guidelines for the portfolio? Can you do a short documentary instead of a short film? I really want to get into this course!

Thanks in advance

Hiya! Mailed ya! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tralaalaalaa

jonjo wrote: »
    Anyone got any vids on youtube of stuff they've put in they're portfolio?

Just curious! Might apply to this next year.
    Hi, I have two of my videos on youtube if you want to watch them! I just got an offer on Monday so I'm over the moon - did a little victory dance round my house and all.....!

Here are the url's if you want to watch them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqX00DrMSEU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLJWNgfDuog&feature=relate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JeanHarlow

Hi, I have two of my videos on youtube if you want to watch them! I just got an offer on Monday so I'm over the moon - did a little victory dance round my house and all.....!

Here are the url's if you want to watch them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqX00DrMSEU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLJWNgfDuog&feature=relate

Congratulations! :) I did a victory dance and some victory jumping too! lol
    See you next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ShotgunBoy

Did the points go up or down this year, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RanFlagg

Heres one I did for my portfolio this year. Got 540 points, so it must have meant something :P though I personally though it was so-so. Good luck on yours man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W84y0lp_yM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tralaalaalaa

ShotgunBoy wrote: »
    Did the points go up or down this year, does anyone know?

They went down from 920 to 875!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

They went down from 920 to 875!

really?! sweet:D this should be within my reach now depending on my portfolio! i better get started on it!

Has anybody else applying this year started their portfolio yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cupcakebaker

Shteve1990 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat here, mate. I've been pretty much going by the guidelines given IADT and my portfolio is near done - just need to fine tune my DVD and drawings.

I included:
    * DVD (with a Showreel of pretty much anything I've ever shot, the two short films and a music video)
    * Feature length script (complete with 10 pages of storyboards)
    * Two short film scripts (complete with storyboards, script breakdowns, location scouting sheets, daily progress reports, sound reports, etc.)
    * Script bible for TV series
    * 6 drawings
    * 2 paintings
    * 3 costume design drawings/sketches
    * 6 photographs
    * CD of self composed music (film score)
    * 2 sheets for Production Design (done on AutoCAD)
    * CV
    omg i cant believe how much you have done.
    i have:
    one film (i have done 2 but the other is... best left till my grave)
    art dept. work on my secondary school play-photos
    half a short film script
    concepts on characters
    and i still have 2 do a c.v., finish a script, probably end up writing another script, storyboard both scripts and my photography work

i have no idea what i'm getting myself into!!!

Hi, Im going for that course as well next year and currently working on my portfolio. Could you tell me what your timetable is like and is a showreel essential for a portfolio?

Hey, timetable is 10 to 5 everyday usually, except for fridays which generally finish up at 1 o clock. Its full on stuff, yet not overpowering.

I wouldn't say a showreel is essential but if you have a lot of footage maybe include it, alongside a piece you're very proud of (short film or whatever). You hear it a lot but they really are just looking for quality, not quantity. Something that demonstrates that you really want to do the course, will try a variety of things and put in a lot of hard work.

G'luck!

This may be a bit of a stupid question, but bear with me, i'm just trying to cover all aspects!:rolleyes: How do you actually present the portfolio? As in like a ring binder type thing or an A3 folder or what?

While im here, i might as well ask. Has anybody got any general advice on the portfolio? Like the layout, what not to do? etc etc

All advice appreciated!

Thanks!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

If anyone is worried about their portfolios, don't forget that IADT's open days are on today and tomorrow (Nov 26&27). We'll have some examples of previous portfolios submitted and staff and students on hand to answer questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Hi atgate, I won't be able to make the open day tmrw , but I'm thinking of applying for next year, not sure my portfolio will be up to scratch though so might end up doing a plc course . I'll be applying as a mature student so could you let me know how they allocate points for prior learning, etc . I saw you mentioned work experience ,would this have to be work experience in the industry ? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BredaM

That's brilliant! Really well done. I'd definitely try and include something shot in real time rather than stop motion as well though. The stop motion is great and can demonstrate great use of angles and shots etc, but they'd be looking for the ability to direct actors and follow action on screen as well. All the film techniques, keep it up though!

Quite nostalgic visiting this thread.. The things that procrastinating leads to..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stevo1993

Does anyone know what the average points given on the portflio?
    It would be helpful so I know what to aim for in the portfolio and in the LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Peiteal

Hi everyone,

Wow, this has been helpful for compiling my portfolio! I'm applying for Film and Television Production this year so I've been together a portfolio for next Spring.
    Just wondering, is this a good general contents for a portfolio? I know it's a bit vague as they're more interested in quality as opposed to quantity but it would be nice to now if I'm heading in the right direction.

*A DVD containing:
    -Two short films which I directed
    -Five very short animations which I made myself
    -A showreel of just the best moments from the above seven films.
    *One feature length film screenplay
    *Five short screenplays (Including the scripts to the above two short films)
    -Storyboards, Script breakdowns, Call sheets, Costume designs, letters asking for funding and the replies etc. for the above scripts.
    *A detailed plan of and research for a short documentary about teenagers' views on religion.
    *A couple of spray paintings and sketches from art class
    *A painting (Maybe more from art class in 6th year)
    * An art project where I've cut pages out of old novels and painted on them to create sentences out of random words. I then draw an illustration to match on the page.
    *Two short stories
    *A Scrapbook of articles about directors, filmmaking, actors etc. which interest me.
    *A notebook of sketches and rough ideas and doodles
    *A CV
    *I plan on doing some photography next...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭juliancallan

Peiteal wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Wow, this has been helpful for compiling my portfolio! I'm applying for Film and Television Production this year so I've been together a portfolio for next Spring.

According to a lecturer who won't be named, they really just flick through your stuff so make sure you have really strong visuals, photos would be a great help and make sure all your scripts are properly formatted. Just make it look as good as possible and don't overfill it, make sure it's just your best work because they don't have ages to look through stuff. Good luck!

Awesome, I'll make it as pretty as possible! I've been planning how to lay it out quite carefully because they mentioned at the open day that they like to be able to find everything easily.

Thanks! :)

They look at everything that the can in 15-20 mins. They might only "flick through" a 90 page script as it would be impossible to read it all (one of the two viewing the portfolio would read a random scene). It is pretty thorough though (despite what unnamed lecturers might say :)) But obviously they'll spend more time with the material more directly related to film & tv. They'd definitely only flick through holiday photos or pictures of pets ;-)

Okay, so I'm thinking I'll try and put in as many screenplays as possible and then back each up with lots of storyboards, costume sketches, photographs of possible locations... I'll try and get a good balance between pictures and texts!

I'm going to try and link pretty much everything in to film except for a few paintings or drawing from art class.

Thanks for your help Julian and Atgate! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

SamFringo wrote: »
    Smug A-holes!

I didn't have much dealing with the Film folks while I was there but if you're really determined to get your stuff reviewed again, don't go in annoyed demanding anything. They've turned down a lot of people who've applied for the course and, as harsh as it sounds, they wouldn't have any problem turning down one more.

State that you believe you've been treated unfairly and that they've been unjust in their appraisal of your work. You might have to go to the college in person to achieve this. Don't go looking for special treatment, just go looking for fair treatment.

One bad experience with the college isn't enough to tar the entire staff with a bad name.

I missed out on the course by 9 points this year! I was so hopeful as I got 570 in the portfolio score. I wonder if I ask them nicely will they bump it up by 9 points? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Anna_Banana

roguey wrote: »
    I missed out on the course by 9 points this year! I was so hopeful as I got 570 in the portfolio score. I wonder if I ask them nicely will they bump it up by 9 points? :P

this sounds painfully similar to what happened to me back in 2009. I also missed out by just 9 points.

it turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me. i went and did a diploma in tv and media for a year and worked on my portfolio while learning and building a skill set.

I applied again the following year with a better portfolio (got the 600 points!) and was a much more confident film maker as a result of the experience i got in my 1 year.

that said, keep the fingers crossed for the 2nd round.

bottom line, don't let it get you down if you don't get in this year. if you really want in, keep trying til you get there!

570 is a brilliant portfolio score! Fingers crossed for second round. And I'd agree with Anna - tons of Film & TV students do a year somewhere else before the course - but still fingers crossed.

What are the odds of getting in on the second round? I wouldn't think many people would turn down the offer, especially as its only a 30 person class.

Looks like second round dropped by exactly 9 points. Was that you?

atgate wrote: »
    Looks like second round dropped by exactly 9 points. Was that you?

Haha, it was yeah! Guess I got lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Droog1

I'm in sixth year and applied for film & television production so I'm putting my portfolio together at the moment. I was at the IADT open day a couple of weeks ago and a lecturer mentioned the headings under which the portfolios are awarded marks (i think one of them was to document your creative process) and I'm wondering if anyone can remind me of what they are. I want to make sure that I've headed down the right path with my portfolio so any help would be great, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭JaneWillow

hey i could do with some help?

I'm a mature student from holland applying. (I live in Dublin) So as I know it clearly you aplly through the cao but that doesn't include any films or portfolio or motivation letters yet?
    I don;t really get it, i thought you had to send in your cv online (someone told me) and that they'd only watch about 4 minutes of film? or is this the cao website? should I submit all my stuff there?

You say they take 20-25 min at the interview at the school? So they watch more than 4 minutes of film or what? I don't have many films yet, but I do write songs, poems and make drawings. But I'm not sure if I can bring the drawings as they're in Holland. What do they do at the interview? What kind of questions do they ask?

Can someone please clarify...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭JaneWillow

According to a lecturer who won't be named, they really just flick through your stuff so make sure you have really strong visuals, photos would be a great help and make sure all your scripts are properly formatted. Just make it look as good as possible and don't overfill it, make sure it's just your best work because they don't have ages to look through stuff. Good luck!

writing scripts is not my best skill. I'm better in editing and filming. Do you think I have a chance to get accepted?

Advertisement