Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing in Containers

Options
  • 07-01-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I've decided to start growing some veg in containers. I have 2 large baths, one is already full of last years strawberry plants. Does anyone have any ideas what I can grow in the other? I'm very new to this, so dont really have a clue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Spuds, onions, peas. All very easy, good starter veg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The plughole in a bath isn't really enough drainage as it will easily get blocked and you will end up with a bathful of mud. If you have sorted that, then early crop potatoes would be good, salads, beans, almost anything really. I wouldn't grow carrots or brassicas (cabbage/cauli/broc) as they would be a bit exposed to bugs and birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

looksee wrote: »
    The plughole in a bath isn't really enough drainage as it will easily get blocked and you will end up with a bathful of mud. If you have sorted that, then early crop potatoes would be good, salads, beans, almost anything really. I wouldn't grow carrots or brassicas (cabbage/cauli/broc) as they would be a bit exposed to bugs and birds.

On the other hand Carrots in a bath will be protected from the dreaded carrot fly. The tend to attack carrots on the ground but with the high sides of the bath they would get some protection, the carrot fly travels around very low to the ground in most cases.

But something early like patatoes would be good then follow that on with some summer things like, lettuce, beetroot, scallion's, onions.

Advertisement