Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College application form

Options
  • 07-01-2010 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I have an application to fill out and just want to ask a couple of questions on a few things that i don't know to include or not.

I am fairly worried in that the course entry requirements requires a science subject in the leaving cert. This is something i don't have. Just how strict are colleges regarding subjects from mature students?

Has anyone ever got onto a science course without a science subject at Leaving cert? And i know come the interview, they might ask me about my lack of science, what can i possibly say?

They do ask for qualifications and the grade. I have the leaving cert, so that's ok. But do i also include the junior cert results on the application? They have asked for all schools i attended even national school, so i am guessing that i should go all the way back and include them? I remember what i got but i have lost the junior cert, can they ask for those on paper?

When they ask for the grades and subjects, do i include every subject i did, over the 3 years, in a college course that is unrelated? Or should i just mention the overall result? Or pick out subjects that can be used in anything, like information technology, business, communications etc?

They want 2 character references. But who can i use? I have some voluntary work done so i probably won't have a problem getting one. What about my second reference? I have read from other internet sites that i should include a reference from an educational institute. Is this really necessary or can i get one from my current employer?

Thanks for reading and any help will be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hi,

Does the college state that you MUST have a science subject? If so, you probably do needs some type of science experience - whether it's the leaving cert. or some type of night course. You need to contact the college itself and ask this question as each college is different and it's more difficult to get a straight answer when it's to do with mature student applications.

Yes, they will definitely ask you about your background in science and what interests you in it. You are interested in doing a science related course so just focus on what interests you with the course. For the interview, make sure you know everything about your chosen course and options after you finish inside out!!!!

I only submitted my Leaving Certificate results. But if you did science in the junior cert, submitting it might be a good idea. You can get a copy of your results from your old school or from the state examinations committee. http://www.examinations.ie/

I'd put down all the subjects and the grades you got in your last course.

For references, try get an educational reference from your previous course. I would also get an employment one as well and submit it. I know they ask for 2 but I'd put the 3 in but only use if good. You can be cheeky and give an outline of what you want your referee to write. It makes it easier for them and you'll know what will be written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Thanks for that Larianne.

I think i might be safe with the science subject. It says a science subject is preferrable. I did do science in the junior cert, so i might as well include that.

They only have the one section regarding educational details that asks for the grades also. Should i include a distance learning course i did, even though there were no grades. The course was relevant and at least it will show my interest and im still capable of learning.

Where should i include my certificate in canine first aid. Im hoping on doing an animal care course and from there veterinary nursing, so i think its relevant. Should i include it in the educational details or my personal statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes, include the distance learning course especially as it is relevant to the course!!! Don't worry about the grade. Just write 'pending'.

You have to look at it this way - the college isn't going to know how much you want to do this course. You have to show them through your application how much you want it. So that includes any work experience, courses you done related to the area. Any hobbies, interests which swayed you into doing this course. You're application has to prove you want this course more than the next mature student applying.

Include your first aid cert in the educational information.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I knew i would be coming back to this. Just a question regarding the grades. We didn't have grades in college. Is it ok to put down the %. Like, Communications: 76%; French 70% and so on. Thats the only thing iv got from college and they're asking for the grades?
    I don't know how il handle college work. This application form is tough enough as it is.

Advertisement