Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do we have any major rappers in Ireland?

• 07-01-2010 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Who have made it big worldwide or atleast USA.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Rob Kelly is doing quite well in the USA, MJEX played a few gigs in New York and played SXSW a few years ago.
    There is also some other guy hosting a lot of hip hop nights in the USA at the moment....cant remmeber his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Billy Jam not a rapper or anything but a promoter of The Culture, check out his website here: http://www.hiphopslam.com/
    He also appeared in the Scratch movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Just Rob Kelly really. MJEX have dabbled.

I'd say a few of the Irish rappers could go down a storm over there but they'd have to move and tour like crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Rob kelly - dont know how he managed to get jay-z in a celtic scarf... epic pic.

Mjex are on their third album - they will make it big.

MJEX have the best live show I've seen from musical point of view. Rubberbandits are fantastic as well but I'm not sure if their humor would travel that well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rob Kelly, his Album will be pretty big if you ask me, major following in the north east of the US and a good ammount of fanboys in Toronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I know of one fella who lives in the area I'm from who made a mixtape with Chamillionare but I'm not sure what else he has done think theres some of his music videos on Youtube

M&S* wrote: »
    I know of one fella who lives in the area I'm from who made a mixtape with Chamillionare but I'm not sure what else he has done think theres some of his music videos on Youtube

whats the area?
    are you from carrigaline?

Are you tallking about Assassin?

Assassin is a the GOAT.

How did we forget The Assassin. He did indeed get a shoutout from Chamillionaire on his mixtape. He's making major moves.

his video for vibe should have won a vma!

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    whats the area?
    are you from carrigaline?

Assassin is a the GOAT.
    I'm from Crosshaven,
    Yeah thats the fella haha he's not the most normal person seen him around here on several occasions with his mother :confused: Ahwell sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 agxmusic

I'm from Crosshaven,
    Yeah thats the fella haha he's not the most normal person seen him around here on several occasions with his mother :confused: Ahwell sure
    could i maybe get a link to his myspace or anything.

i doubt he is even close to the greatest alive. lmao. you really think the G.O.A.T would be unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 EMOH

Assassin is a the GOAT.

I'm the president of the United States of America.

Hey, respecting your moms is hip hop. It's rap album 101 that you have a track about money, a track about ****ing biyatches, and then a sensitive track about loving your moms in between to show you're multifaceted.

Why would we share The Assassin's myspace with the likes of you? Your non believers.

Hey, respecting your moms is hip hop. It's rap album 101 that you have a track about money, a track about ****ing biyatches, and then a sensitive track about loving your moms in between to show you're multifaceted.

Why would we share The Assassin's myspace with the likes of you? Your non believers.
    Hmm fine whatever, Fair play if you enjoy his stuff but him being an artist you need to be prepared for s**t being thrown at you and I have alot of it which I'm not going to go into detail of here.

Not ever, ever, would this "Assassin" be even close to having a title such as G.O.A.T

He's not even know by what? 80% of hiphop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

we should have a vote on wether to post the myspace.

voting works yo.

we should have a vote on wether to post the myspace.

voting works yo.
    Whos myspace we talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

irish people can't/shouldn't be allowed to rap, i don't even think there are any irish rappers even tho a few black kids in my year seem to think they is the next fiddy lol

AJ STYLES wrote: »
    irish people can't/shouldn't be allowed to rap, i don't even think there are any irish rappers even tho a few black kids in my year seem to think they is the next fiddy lol
    Anyone can rap its down to taste or whatever,
    Some people like English rap or grime and can't stand American,
    I am all for supporting Irish music and I feel we aren't given enough of a chance because if you do look there is some talent

• Advertisement

i hate british, but you're right i love french rap so good point, i see what you mean.

French rap? Never heard any before

well even if you had very good leaving cert french you would find it difficult to understand, even some french people wouldn't even understand it.

well even if you had very good leaving cert french you would find it difficult to understand, even some french people wouldn't even understand it.
    Oh, guessing your french then still might be interested in hearing some

That's interesting . . wouldn't be my cup of tea

yeah i personally like it but they have more 'ghetto' stuff, all based on the strife of growing up in the ghettos of paris or marseille. you could basically just copy 'paris' for 'new york' a lot of them try to act so american as well which i find lame

yeah i personally like it but they have more 'ghetto' stuff, all based on the strife of growing up in the ghettos of paris or marseille. you could basically just copy 'paris' for 'new york' a lot of them try to act so american as well which i find lame
    Lame wannabe's thats where rap really falls down too many wannbe's

French rap? SMH!

Anyone talking smack about Irish rap or Assassin in this thread is officially a retard, Sassy is the GOAT yo!

• Advertisement

Assassin isn't just a rapper. He's a novelist. He's an entrepreneur. He cooks great curry. That's why he's GOAT. Feck the haters.

There's a very wide variety of styles amongst the Irish rap community. Whatever you're into there's probably an Irish equivalent that you'd appreciate. If you're judging everybody on the basis of some 15 year old you saw on Youtube trying to be fiddy then you've just been lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

French rap? Never heard any before

Some of it's amazing :)

As for Irish rappers ... What about Spiral? :pac:

Spiral is old hat. It's all about Jedward now. I've been in talks with them about ghostwriting some of the rhymes for their debut. It's still in the early stages though so keep that under your hat.

Assassin isn't just a rapper. He's a novelist. He's an entrepreneur. He cooks great curry. That's why he's GOAT. Feck the haters.
    Well were not talking about a cook or anything here were talking about rap or am I in the wrong place?
    Also have you any evidence that he does cook a great curry?

Well were not talking about a cook or anything here were talking about rap or am I in the wrong place?
    Also have you any evidence that he does cook a great curry?

Hiphop is about so much more than just rap, its a way of life, food, style, everything is encompassed, Sassy is the gulliest by far, real recognise real yo!

Hiphop is about so much more than just rap, its a way of life, food, style, everything is encompassed, Sassy is the gulliest by far, real recognise real yo!

And this is why, boards.ie words will never be taking serious when it comes to HipHop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

YES.

I don't like most non-US hip-hop because groups try too hard to sound like they came out of Brooklyn, not, say, Berlin...and these days, there isn't much coming out of Brooklyn. Plus a lot of the beats stink, or are unoriginal...and if the production sucks AND you don't understand the lyrics, then what's the point?

On the flip side, I think part of the reason reggaeton really took off outside of the Caribbean is because even if you don't speak Spanish, it's still good party music.
    And, um, can someone tell me what counts as hip-hop food? :)

EMOH wrote: »
    And this is why, boards.ie words will never be taking serious when it comes to HipHop.

Everything on this forum is always deadly serious. You'd better watch your back on road. The Assassin will fresh you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

How cheesy is this video, fair play to him but I wouldn't buy his stuff.

colin29 wrote: »

How cheesy is this video, fair play to him but I wouldn't buy his stuff.

man, ****s just too real for all you phony thugs, sassy is rolling deep in the streets, proper G, like I said, real recognise real, ya'll dont know about this thug ****.

He can rap on bar, he can rap off bar, all in the same verse. It's a deceptively complex style.

There's also an excellent chopped and screwed version.
    http://www.datpiff.com/Vlad_The_Butcher_The_Assassin_Lights_Camera_Assas.m18021.html

• Advertisement

man, ****s just too real for all you phony thugs, sassy is rolling deep in the streets, proper G, like I said, real recognise real, ya'll dont know about this thug ****.
    Proper g? yeah right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Well if you consider "House of Pain" Irish then they would probably be the best and most successful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Well if you consider "House of Pain" Irish then they would probably be the best and most successful.

But unfortunately they are nearly as american as apple pie, with a side order of pumpkin pie, decorated with those little stars and stripes flags, with the star spangled banner playing in the background.

Everlasts real name is Erik Schrody and born in New York.
    DJ Lethals real name is
    Leor Dimant and he is Latvian
    Danny Boys real name is Daniel O’Connor, born in New York.

Admitably Danny Boy is the closest to being Irish, but they are more Latvian than Irish because one of thier members is in fact Latvian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    But unfortunately they are nearly as american as apple pie, with a side order of pumpkin pie, decorated with those little stars and stripes flags, with the star spangled banner playing in the background.

Everlasts real name is Erik Schrody and born in New York.
    DJ Lethals real name is
    Leor Dimant and he is Latvian
    Danny Boys real name is Daniel O’Connor, born in New York.

Admitably Danny Boy is the closest to being Irish, but they are more Latvian than Irish because one of thier members is in fact Latvian.

Maybe so, but they sure do (or did) play on their Irish-American roots:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9zl1z_house-of-pain-shamrocks-and-shenani_music

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Maybe so, but they sure do (or did) play on their Irish-American roots:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9zl1z_house-of-pain-shamrocks-and-shenani_music

It was one of the biggest cons in hip hop, the used it as a gimmick to make themselves heard.
    I dont want to be taken up the wrong way here, i love HOP, but they are not Irish. Most Americans when you meet them will tell you that they are irish....through deep ravels of ancestry, so HOP seen that oppertunity and played to that audience.
    Marketing genius! In thier solo endeavours before they found thier Irish roots they got no acclaim. I doubt any of them would be issued an Irish passport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

This guy is from Kilkenny. http://www.myspace.com/bosscabo

wax wrote: »
    Love the Michael Collins tat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

wax wrote: »

Got talking to this guy in the student bar in UCD. He was actually a really nice laid back guy. One of the guys from the Outlawz signed him. Wasn't expecting to hear a Kilkenny accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Rira

his track 25 o clock in the morning was on 'CSI NY'
    Another Track was in the film 'Johnny Was' with Vinnie Jones in (i think)

His stuff is the shizz... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Rira

his track 25 o clock in the morning was on 'CSI NY'

Really? Love that song.

• Advertisement
Advertisement