Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no running water

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Why so few on the Southside of the city? It's a brave walk from Rathmines to Terenure with a few bottles of water weighing you down!!! :rolleyes:

http://www.dublincity.ie/Pages/WaterUpdates.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Sorry

It's a load of bollocks, to be honest. What is one supposed to do, bring a few empty milk bottles, fill them up and walk back home? It takes around two of those 2L bottles just to flush our toilet once. There's no point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Sorry wrote: »
    It's a load of bollocks, to be honest. What is one supposed to do, bring a few empty milk bottles, fill them up and walk back home? It takes around two of those 2L bottles just to flush our toilet once. There's no point.
    Those Oxfam and Trocaire ads about kids walking 10miles with a few litres of water on their heads kinda hit home now don't they?!

There was a pipe on Fortfield Road in Dublin 6/6W burst that has been repaired:

http://www.sdcc.ie/
    Updated 6pm, 12th, January, 2010
    The burst main at Fortfield Road at the junction of College Drive has been repaired and water in the area has been fully restored.

Loss of Supply to North of Naas Road
    Areas north of the Naas Road have now lost their water supply. This is Lucan, Palmerstown and Clondalkin with the exception of Clondalkin Village, Monastery, Green Isle Area, Newcastle and Rathcoole.

The supply will remain off until 4.00 a.m. Therefore customers should have water back in their homes by 9:00 a.m.

All homes will have 24 hour storage in their overhead tanks from water supplies which were restored earlier today. Households should however take conservation measures as detailed in the published conservation notice

Known Burst Water Mains Issues

The burst main at Cherryfield in Walkinstown has been repaired and water in the area has been fully restored

The burst mains at Knocklyon and Loughtown are still being investigated however they are not causing customers to be left without water.

01-4149000
    The South Dublin County Council phone line is available for general queries in relation to water supply tonight.

01-4574907
    The Council emergency number is available for emergencies and the reporting of burst water mains only

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hugoline wrote: »

hmm, i have water in finglas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

irishbird wrote: »
    Me too but the I was taking to a guy that lives near clearwater and he says some people in his estate dont have water are some do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Maybe just coz they havent emptied their tank yet, Im in sa cabhrach and weve no water but one of my housemates did have to have a 30min shower yesterday morning , evening and this morning knowing the pressure was low :mad: There was no electricity yesterday for a bit, now no water and I got soaked today :( ......the irony

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

irishbird wrote: »

my mam and dad have full water in Finglas South too, but i still have none up the road in Meakstown :(

http://www.sdcc.ie/

Tallaght

Tallaght Village
    Glenview
    Balrothery
    Kingswood Heights
    Village Green
    Alderwood

Templeogue/Rathfarnham

Templeogue Wood
    Templeville Drive
    Rathfarnham road
    Beauford Downs
    Butterfield Orchard
    Wainsfort
    Kilakee Ave
    Delaford
    Orwell Park

Walkinstown/Perrystown

St. Josephs Road

** Updated 8pm, January 12th, 2010

(Please note the next update will be at 8:30am, Wednesday, Jan 13th, 2010)

Loss of Supply to Areas
    Customers south of the Naas Road are now experiencing significant loss of pressure which is leading to a loss of supply. This is affecting the areas contained in this list

Full pressure will be restored at 6am. It takes time for the water to make its way through the network and it is estimated that all area’s will have their supply restored by mid to late morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pattylou

January 13th.
    12.15am

Water went off at 10pm last night, was given no warning. I live in Dartry.
    I have had no bathroom facilities for a week, no hot water, only one cold tap working in the house and now it's gone. My clothes have been in the washmachine for a week. We did not get any warning. I feel very sorry for the sick and elderly. This is not good enough. It appears to me to be very bad water management. I'm 61years of age and we have had bad weather in this country before, but it seems that the local councils have not updated the services to the country and because they didn't bother and didn't prepare for a snow fall, the country is falling apart. The current problems are due to bad organisation and forward planning by the government. the FF government have let us down badly, very badly.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

So what are you supposed to do? Turn up with a bucket or something to these water tankers? I have nothing to put water in that would be enough to last over night.
    Sorry wrote:

You need to get bigger water containers. Camping shops sell containers from 10-60 litres. Also you don't need to use drinking water to flush your toilet. You can put a bucket under your drain pipes or collect some water from a mountain stream if you have access to a car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

water seems back in phibsboro...hope it stays back...will see tonight...

Still water in kilbarrack but its feels like it draining the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

I'm wondering why the south dublin county council is updating people with precise information and the dublin city council does not give a **** to tell people what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

I'm wondering why the south dublin county council is updating people with precise information and the dublin city council does not give a **** to tell people what is going on.

+1, my sentiments exactly, SDCC info and action seems to be a lot more orgainsed and effective than that of DCC

****'s sake...water pressure in phibsborough still so low i have no water in the kitchen...i've just about had it with that ****...this is just a sick joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Batchelor's have put 40 staff in Cabra on protective notice because of the lack of water. But what's most interesting about it is that they have said that
    Dublin City Council is 'unable to offer clear guidance on the timing of the likely resumption of full water supplies' to the facility.

Very bad communications there by DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Why DCC fault? They can only communicate what they know & the problem is not just localised but they whole country....

How can any definitive timeline be given? Water problem is as a result of people panicking leaving taps running & also pipes cracking during the cold causing a feck load of leaks in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Why DCC fault? They can only communicate what they know & the problem is not just localised but they whole country....

How can any definitive timeline be given? Water problem is as a result of people panicking leaving taps running & also pipes cracking during the cold causing a feck load of leaks in Dublin.

water problem are the results of pipes not insulated and crappy policies about how depth a water pipe can be? It went down to -3 and everything was frozen, do you think that this happens in Finland, Sweden, Norway, Canada? Not even in that third world country that it is Italy!

This is the 5th day without water and the DCC is not able to say which places have water and which places have not (how come the SDCC can state it in the website?).

Are they not able to give me a timeline? They should hire someone to do their job instead, if I'm not able to give a timeline to my manager he will fire me and I can bet that John Tierney & co. are even more paid than me.

Now water supplies are depleted and they tell people not to fill tanks with water because this will create a vicious circle, honestly I'd much prefer to fill as many tanks as possible rather than waiting on people who are not able do their job.

This is the result of wrong policies, you cannot put that pressure on citizens, again, it's been the 5th day without water in Smithfield (= city centre) and I'm not elderly or handicapped, but what if??? How would the country help me? If you're fine everything will be fine, otherwise you're on your own and with the DCC we're on our own. Let's hope that some day we will get the water back, obviously they won't refund me the water bottles I bought because, as they told me, water is free of charge so I cannot complain.

I agree with a previous comment: what a Mickey Mouse country this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

Sorry wrote: »

Just goes to illustrate the few short steps we are away from anarchy.
    Don't rely on the government for anything, they're as clueless and as disorganised as the general population.
    Then again you can always try
    http://www.emergencyplanning.ie/downloads_.aspx
    for more info !!

water problem are the results of pipes not insulated and crappy policies about how depth a water pipe can be? It went down to -3 and everything was frozen, do you think that this happens in Finland, Sweden, Norway, Canada? Not even in that third world country that it is Italy!

This is the 5th day without water and the DCC is not able to say which places have water and which places have not (how come the SDCC can state it in the website?).

Are they not able to give me a timeline? They should hire someone to do their job instead, if I'm not able to give a timeline to my manager he will fire me and I can bet that John Tierney & co. are even more paid than me.

Now water supplies are depleted and they tell people not to fill tanks with water because this will create a vicious circle, honestly I'd much prefer to fill as many tanks as possible rather than waiting on people who are not able do their job.

This is the result of wrong policies, you cannot put that pressure on citizens, again, it's been the 5th day without water in Smithfield (= city centre) and I'm not elderly or handicapped, but what if??? How would the country help me? If you're fine everything will be fine, otherwise you're on your own and with the DCC we're on our own. Let's hope that some day we will get the water back, obviously they won't refund me the water bottles I bought because, as they told me, water is free of charge so I cannot complain.

I agree with a previous comment: what a Mickey Mouse country this is.

it is indeed pathetic beyond belief...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

There's water coming from the main tap here but not enough pressure to fill the tank. Technically Glasnevin but some might say Drumcondra.

Funniest about it all is my flatmate going into a huff cause she couldn't wash her her this evening :p

I suppose no one know when it's going to be sorted then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

none in edenmore, just went

jozi wrote: »
    [...]

I suppose no one know when it's going to be sorted then?

don’t think anybody really has a clue...i called city council on tuesday evening after water was gone again in my place - i specifically asked about phibsborough - and a relatively polite eastern european (?) lady on the phone told me that water pressure was still very low throughout the system due to all the leaks and that they were tentatively looking at the end of this week for things to be fixed, the most important mains etc. anyway…but then we all know what to make of any such announcements in this country here…so in the end i reckon we just have to wait and see…i really have never seen anything like it before…pathetic beyond belief…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Saphy

Lost water in Coolock yesterday. I know there are tankers around the place, but I hear people have to queue for up to two hours. Anyone know how long the queues are in Coolock?

More woes from SDCC...
    ** Update: 1:10pm, 14th January, 2010

Council Water Maintenance Crews are currently working to fix a burst on the public water mains at Palmerstown Avenue. Houses in the local area are affected. Works are nearing completion.

Council Water Maintenance Crews will begin work on a burst pipe at Fernhill Road, Walkinstown in the afternoon. Houses in the local area may be affected.

Potential bursts at Knocklyon and Crag Industrial Estate are under investigation. Local areas may be affected.
    01-4149000
    The South Dublin County Council phone line is available for general queries in relation to water supply tonight.

01-4574907

The Council emergency number is available for emergencies and the reporting of burst water mains only.

Probably some people having toilet/water tap problems in the upstairs of their house (if they have one) because the system's airlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

DCC is not able to say which places have water and which places have not

There's a certain amount of info here: http://www.dublincity.ie/Pages/WaterUpdates.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hannanv2

Hi,

I live in Finglas and haven't had a drop of water since Saturday morning! Haven't even been able to flush toilets since then.

Eveytime I call DCC, they quote the Lanesborugh estate and how it has emergency water etc and how tankers have been set up. I am not part of this estate (across the road) and yet I am getting no answer as to why this estate has water and we don't. Not a drop since Saturday.

Was round there last night filling up 12 bottles and the tanker disappeared before 7 (was supposed to stay longer according to website) so couldn't top up again. I was able to flush 2 toliets once with this water (none for washing, cooking, cleaning ect.) Absolute disgrace. I have family living in Lanesborough and they have been having water sporadically and yet are given emergency water tonight and 2 tankers set up in estate- yet 6 days without water and not as much as an explanation as to why we have no water.

I understand everyone is affected but it is lauded that the worst effected areas/estate are looked after and this is not happening. 6 days and not a drop yet estate using same suppy have water on and off.

Have contacted Fingal and DCC and to be honest it is the biggest waste of time ever-customer service is appaling - got email copied and pasted back to me and my mail was only read when I went on a rant, I presume. One liner sent back to me in extremely rude manner. Still no answers.

Anyone else waiting this long without a drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Hannanv2 wrote: »
    Have contacted Fingal and DCC and to be honest it is the biggest waste of time ever-customer service is appaling - got email copied and pasted back to me and my mail was only read when I went on a rant, I presume. One liner sent back to me in extremely rude manner. Still no answers.

Same deal here. No accountability, responsibility, planning or structure to anything going on in DCC. They better have crews out overnight or there'll be murder (and rightly so).

No real information, time lines (which suggests no actual plan or idea what to do) or anything. Local councilor informed someone nearby that we can expect to be without water for 5 more days. We've had low pressure (1 tap operational) for 3 days, and this afternoon even that went so now we've nothing. Filling cisterns with distiller water from a large canister which is meant to be used for the car.

Some have brought this up as a humanitarian issue as families are without water for extended amounts of time.

Absolute disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hannanv2

Completely agree, I take it was can get receipts for any water we have to buy (or manage to find in the area) and send to DCC?

They told me this morning that there are tankards beside FAS is Finglas and at Canice's Church until 8 but they were nowhere to be seen last night at this time. Plus, 2/3 trips to these areas by foot with 20 water bottles which might flush 2 tolilets once if we are lucky enough??

The truck in Lanesborough was stationed in a road which is completely hidden away and we only found it as we happend to be driving that way to a family members house. When I asked why this was there was no explanation and when I asked why they weren't there until 8 I was told that they must have ran out of water! What are we supposed to do??

No questions answered and still no water 6 days later- absolute joke. How can other estate in the area have water and we have none for 6 days??????

Advertisement