Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J1 closing dates

• 07-01-2010 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi guys,

I want to apply tor the j1 this year but I cant seem to find the closing dates for booking anywhere, with any of the companies.

I am trying to put off booking as long as possible as I may have to stay in Ireland this summer. I wont know until roughly May. If anyones been in this situation before is it possible to put it off until then??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I didn't apply until late-March early-April last year (2009) there's not an early closing date I don't think but the price will go up, for the J-1 visa and for the flights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarsarsar

thank you, good to know the option is still there even if its more expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

In or around May 16th last year was when I applied (it was definitely during the UCD exam period which is around there). It was something like the second last day I could apply. The only downside was that I couldn't fly out until the second week of June, so if you want to beat the crowds for jobs and stuff, you might just have to take the risk and book a little earlier.

The sites of the likes of go4less and USIT will have notices up on their website around the start of May advertising the deadline for applications, so keep an eye out there around the end of April.

edit: and I didn't have to pay any additional fees for booking so late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Its not that you pay additional fees but the price of flights may go up and they may not have the offer for the free visa still running! I think we booked ours on the very last day of it or something close!

lil_lisa wrote:
    Its not that you pay additional fees but the price of flights may go up and they may not have the offer for the free visa still running! I think we booked ours on the very last day of it or something close!

Tbh I don't think the "free visa" offer ever really ends unless there's HUGE demand in any given year and they know they'll sell their allocation of visa's regardless. With the current economic climate blah blah blah I doubt there'll be that huge demand this year, so don't worry too much, but do bear in mind that as lil_lisa said it could potentially end.

My flights last year were only a little over 400 (I flew with Continental), which isn't much more than you'd pay if you booked flights with the likes of Aer Lingus right now. So you definitely still can get cheap flights with a last minute booking, but then maybe I just got lucky....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lopppy

abelard wrote: »
    Tbh I don't think the "free visa" offer ever really ends unless there's HUGE demand in any given year and they know they'll sell their allocation of visa's regardless. With the current economic climate blah blah blah I doubt there'll be that huge demand this year, so don't worry too much, but do bear in mind that as lil_lisa said it could potentially end.

Its all ready ended, its up to 95 or 99 now

lopppy wrote: »

Colour me shocked

lopppy wrote: »

On this, I saw a USIT rep in UCD today putting up posters for the j1 with FREE VISA plastered across the top, so it seems the free visa offer was reintroduced (or maybe naver really ended).

Advertisement