Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Uggs any Use in Snow?

• 07-01-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭

I've seen loads of people wearing them over the last few days but they're made of clothy material, right? Which means that they let in water after a time?

Fed up of wearing boots that are letting in water and uggs look snug but not sure if they'd stay dry?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

They're slippers, so no.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

KTRIC wrote: »
    They're slippers, so no.

?? I've seen slipper VERSIONS of uggs, but there are outdoor uggs too, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

KTRIC wrote: »
    They're slippers, so no.

Well I've been using them for the past week or so and they haven't let in water or made me slip at all. I'd recommend them. They keep you warm too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I seriously doubt they would stay dry... I find if I ever wore mine outside the house when it was even raining, my feet got wet! But to be fair, mine are a pair of cheap ones from Penneys so maybe the real thing would fare better.

The snow where I am is quite thick, so surely the snow would also reach the cloth material and not just the sole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Pythia wrote: »
    Well I've been using them for the past week or so and they haven't let in water or made me slip at all. I'd recommend them. They keep you warm too!

Cool, thanks for the info!!

• Advertisement

They're made of sheepskin (the real ones)

They have kept me warm, dry and stopped me from breaking my neck!

So yes, I would say they're good for snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

there are outdoor ones. ive got a pair called sundance that have a proper sole on them so they are grand for walking around in but i wouldnt be letting them get soaked as im sure the water would eventually soak through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I find I still slip a little in them but I think that is more due to the terrible icy footpaths.

Mine are real Uggs and so far haven't let in any water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

My Uggs have been very useful this past week, they're warm plus helped keep my feet dry and have a surprisingly good grip on the ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I've been wearing €9 fake uggs from Pennys, there grand and I haven't slipped .... yet!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Mine were great, didn't let any water in and i havn't fallen once in them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

My fuggs from River Island are great- warm, dry and have kept me upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 evorg

I have apair of Emu boots and have been wearing them for the walk to work all wk - no water in, and only 1 fall - but the path was pure ice - doubt if any shoes would be any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Would the wet not ruin them though? Especially the lighter colours.

chocgirl wrote: »
    Would the wet not ruin them though? Especially the lighter colours.

they're sheepskin so if they're treated they'll last for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Have my UGGs over two years and treated them with a spray the moment I bought them. I've worn them in all sorts of weather now, frost, rain, snow, the lot, and my feet are always perfectly warm and dry in them. So good, I have just ordered another pair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Clearly I was wrong :) Uggs must be so comfy to wear outside in weather like this! Especially with fluffy socks :D

Clearly I was wrong :) Uggs must be so comfy to wear outside in weather like this! Especially with fluffy socks :D

Apparently you're actually supposed to wear them without socks. Did it once and it was quite comfy and soft but felt a bit wrong :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Apparently you're actually supposed to wear them without socks. Did it once and it was quite comfy and soft but felt a bit wrong :pac:

Yup did this too after reading about them meant to be worn barefoot and felt really weird -would prob make them smelly too?!

would prob make them smelly too?!

That's what I was thinking :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Love my uggs :D not great at keeping my feet dry though but so comfy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I've been wearing mine with just popsocks in minus 4/5 and they're the warmest part of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

ive a pair in black, the tall ones, got them just over a year ago and have worn them to death. i didnt treat them with the spray though which was a pretty stupid thing not to do but they never let water in at all. mine will now be used for walking the dog or whatever , they look pretty crap now but i really think thats due to not taking care of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Sorry silly question, what is the treatment spray? I got my uggs from Santa and have been wearing them constantly since then. Is it too late to treat them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Wore mine all day today with a pair of fluffy socks and me feet are perfectly dry. Outside of the Uggs are wet, but I'll put them by the fire and they dry perfectly. The wetting and drying also tightens them which makes them even more snug! :D I don't wear them out too often though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

You know, I've resisted the past couple of years, and never bought a single pair of them - real or fake ... but these days, everyone's wearing them in the snow and they look soooooo warm and cosy, while my feet are all wet and numb ... I think that this thread might have finally convinced me to just buy a pair, finally! :o

I'm only like three years behind the rest of the fashion world :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Mine are leather upper and waterproofed so thankully theyre keep my toesies warm and dry:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

You know, I've resisted the past couple of years, and never bought a single pair of them - real or fake ... but these days, everyone's wearing them in the snow and they look soooooo warm and cosy, while my feet are all wet and numb ... I think that this thread might have finally convinced me to just buy a pair, finally! :o

I'm only like three years behind the rest of the fashion world :D

theyre sold out in a lot of places ive looked lately :( (unless you want crazy ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

I just ordered a pair on ebay that I'm confident are genuine:).

I want to get the stuff to weatherproof them though. Where abouts in Dublin city centre stocks it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

aidom wrote: »

I want to get the stuff to weatherproof them though. Where abouts in Dublin city centre stocks it?
    i got the ugg Australia care kit in fitzpatricks on grafton st :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Theyre useless, the materials arent waterproof. If you must then try the ones with the rubber soles.

Or buy a decent pair of leather boots in river island or aldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Beonce

They're cr*p!! I ruined a pair on Saturday afternoon :(

Mine have survived the weather! Still have them in perfect condition this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

mc1990 wrote: »
    i got the ugg Australia care kit in fitzpatricks on grafton st :)

Thanks:) . I don't suppose you remember how much you paid for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭xxlplease

pookie82 wrote: »
    I've seen loads of people wearing them over the last few days but they're made of clothy material, right? Which means that they let in water after a time?

Fed up of wearing boots that are letting in water and uggs look snug but not sure if they'd stay dry?

Only if they have thick proper sole, then they are brilliant for cold, snowy weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I have cardigan ones, they were fine in the snow... But not fine in the slush...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

if you go onto the schuh website you should be able to buy it there for store collection or free delivery. Think it's around €30 for the full care kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

I think 25 euro if my memory serves me correctly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 beautycouture

No good... I slipped on the ice wearing my uggs, no grip, plus the snow makes them super soggy! I think wellies or hiking boots are the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

this is actually something i have been wondering about myself for a while…all them girlies running around in uggs in rain, wet snow and slush…they must have wet and cold feet all the time, i just cannot imagine anything else…but then of course i have never owned uggs myself so i just may not fully understand the ugg concept…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 beautycouture

hahah like that Angry Troll - Ugg concept!

Yeah they are useless in the snow or rain for that matter, but in the dry cold they are awsome at keeping the piggies warm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

my uggs have kept my toes nice and warm when out in the snow but not in the slush so much! but ive had mine a few years and they're a bit worn to say the least so im surprised they've lasted this long never mind in the snow!
    i think some people on here are referring to the actual UGG brand boots and others to the ugg style boots in other shops, and there is a difference in the materials in different boots so its prob best to specify which ones cause different material will wear differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

I picked up a can of waterproofing/protecting spray in Lidl and it worked a treat, im not so sure how it goes in terms of staining the lighter colours but my choc brown ones didnt stain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 aluna

mine have served me so well the past week. walked through snow, slush, ice - even when the rest of my body was shivering and cold my toes were nice and toasty :p. got slightly wet on the outside but it didn't seep through. luckily they are chocolate brown so its not noticeable. they mightn't be the prettiest things but worth the cash imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement