Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad experience with Veterinary Hospital. What should I do?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello, My cat started to feel bad on 1st of January. Next days morning he couldn't hold his urine. So we went to vet as quick as it was possible. Vet said to us, that we came on time. Because next day he probably wouldn't be urinating at all. We had to leave him in hospital for tests. They done some tests like x-ray, blood test and etc. It was urine infection. So they gave him antibiotics and all the weekend he had urinary catheterization. On Monday morning catheter was taken off. But my cat wasn't urinating himself. So they put him on intravenous therapy. I call on Tuesday morning and I found out, that he wasn't urinated all night so vets had to put him on urinary catheterization again. I decided to bring my cat to other vet clinic. When I came to take my cat back and said, that first I want to see other vets and just then i'm going to pay I couldn't get my cat back. So I had to pay 200eu and I said that 60eu I will pay later. Other vet gave me different antibiotics and said that I can take my cat home. He started urinate same day. He urinates maybe a little bit less than he should, but he urinates. And every day I can see that he feels better and better.

Now I’m wondering.. Have I or not to pay more money for first vet hospital? Except all tests whatever they done its not helped my cat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

If you think that you have been wronged then contact the Irish Veterinary Council http://www.vci.ie/

But, tbh, I wouldn't hold my breath.

If I read your post right then the bill came to 260 Euro? If so then that's not that much for tests etc IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You are perfectly entitled not only not to pay but to take legal action to recover the money that was already paid. However you would need to get your new vet to testify that the previous diagnosis/treatment was incorrect or inappropriate.

You should talk to your new vet & then write to the old vet & send the letter by registered post. You should make it clear why you are dissatisfied & state that your new vet supports your view. In reality you may find that the new vet will not speak out against another vet.

You could speak to the local Court & see if you could claim in the Small Claims Court. This is very inexpensive, very easy & you cannot be charged excessive costs. It would be in the interests of the vet to avoid adverse publicity.

I once got a refund of €700 from a vet so it can be done.

Advertisement