Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put your questions to Keith Barry, Mentalist of the year, magician and TV presenter

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

What football team (if any) do you support?
    If you met Thierry Henry what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Who was your fave celeb that you done one of your tricks on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Did any of your tricks ever go embarrassingly wrong? If so, how and what was the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Keith - deal or no deal. Is there really a banker or do you just make up the figure. Also could you make it go faster - its painfully slow. They should be opening 5 boxes at a time not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Bit long-winded but bear with me...

Keith, as a fellow Waterford man and amateur magician I've been following your career for a while. I know you started your career performing tricks at tables in the Wine Vault restaurant in Waterford. Restaurant magic is quite popular in America where amateur magicians can get good practice perfoming for people and at the same time make a bit of cash in tips.

Do you think restaurant magic has any future in Ireland and, if not, what's the best way to get practice performing in front of strangers (as opposed to family and friends)?

Also you've performed many different types of magic over the years, card magic, slight of hand, esapes, publicity stunts etc. However in the last few years you have seemed to settle on mentalism and focused on it, similar to Derren Brown's carrer path. Why is this? Do you think this form of magic captures the audiences attention more than traditional 'pick a card' magic tricks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

What inspired you to take up magic in the first place?

Do you ever reveal how you do your "tricks"? If so, who to?

Have you ever done a trick that was genuinely dangerous? If so, which one?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I got my parents tickets to see your show on Sunday night, and since the weathers looking bad, they cant go.

soooo... wanna come over to our place for some tea? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

who is the soundest celebrity that you have met and the biggest git?

Since you and derren brown are very similar in terms of show do you go out of your way to figure out his tricks?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Presumably, performing a trick that other magicians can't work out how it's done is a great feeling.
    What's your favourite trick that you've done that fits this category?
    What's the best trick you've seen that you haven't worked out how it's done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jimbozo

Asking a mentalist a question is very much like asking a politician a question, in that if you tell the whole truth you lose your job, so I will refrain from asking you about your work.

Instead I will ask a question about Derren Brown, specifically his recent Lottery Numbers prediction and subsequent 'Wisdom of Crowds' explanation. Any sane person (or insane person with basic maths and common sense) will know that he did not predict the lottery numbers in the way he claimed. For me it was the first bum note of his career. As a fan of his I felt that while the effect was great the explanation was so weak as to simply irritate people. Plus the days of media and internet speculation where people thought he was going to truly reveal how he did it meant expectations where unrealistically high leading to a reveal which was as flat as a sheet of paper.

So my question is what did you think of the trick and the explanation?

If you have a policy of commenting on other performers that's cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

What did you think of the Michael Jackson Seance carried out by Derek Acorah in Cork last year for sky1? Is it magic or just 'smart'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Have you answered any criticism about your straightjacket poster yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

DaPoolRulz wrote: »

How did Derren Brown really predict the lottery?

I'd like to know how he did it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Is it hard combining TV Presenting and Magic every Friday?

Considering you present Deal or No Deal and instantly make all the viewers disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kove

Why haven't you taken up James Randi's famous, long-standing million dollar challenge?

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

Edit: Actually forget that. I see from this interview (if it's real) he doesn't try to claim any psychic powers... http://www.badpsychics.co.uk/thefraudfiles/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=53

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

kove wrote: »
    Why haven't you taken up James Randi's famous, long-standing million dollar challenge?

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

Edit: Actually forget that. I see from this interview (if it's real) he doesn't try to claim any psychic powers... http://www.badpsychics.co.uk/thefraudfiles/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=53

Keith actually has his own 10 grand challenge floating around the place.
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/magician-keiths-836410k-offer-to-all-psychics-1607624.html

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭LittleLebowski

How do I avoid being picked out of the audience tonight at your show?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

I had 2 tickets booked for opening night on Wednesday and due to the bad weather conditions and the cancellation of Dublin Bus services I was unable to attend the show.

I rang ticketmaster and the olympia and I've been denied either an alternative show or a refund. Other shows and venues have changed tickets and refunded money. Will you offer refunds?

The Olympia and Ticketmaster have said they wont. Will you? It seems incredibly unfair that ordinary paying customers who can not attend the show in such remarkable circumstances can not get some form of option. There has to be some form of refund policy on this.

I'd be really interested in an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LMGB

would like to ask same as previous poster, we were soooo looking forward to going tonight but can't make the trip from laois:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Darragh wrote: »
    To call Keith Barry a 'mentalist' is probably not an insult, given he won an award for same last year from the the International Magicians Society.

He's currently on our TV screens on TV3's Deal Or No Deal - and from that website:

and he's also currently on tour with his Keith Barry: The Asyum shows.

I met him today at the Meteor Music Awards launch and one thing leading to another, Keith will do an exclusive Q&A with Boards.ie members.

KB_new2.jpg

So, like Dustin, David LaChapelle, Eamon Ryan, Damien Duff and John O Shea, put your questions to Keith below and I'll put them to him next week. :D

Thanks so much!

Darragh
    Keith, how do you rate Jerry Sadowitz's card magic and have you used any of his tricks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Who's taking the horse to France?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Does he already know the answer to this question?

(Sorry, had to.)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

Some of these appear to be fairly accurate, is it possible they hypnotise you into telling them about yourself , but you dont remember doing so , and only remember what he tells you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

In the trick you did on 98 FM, did you:
    Write the answers to the questions on the small piece of card that was later recovered from the box, and then as you rehashed the answers with the host of the snow secretly slip the card into an identical locked box in your hand or sleeve. And then when you reached into the bag to take out the box, switch the box that you had concealed for the box that was in the bag? Then the card that you had just moments ago written on was read out by the host?

Im quite interested in figuring out magic tricks, and I wonder how well i did this time. Great show by the way, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Did you and Chris Angel ever make make up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Does anyone know if his gigs tonight and tomorrow night are still going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

What's it like being a poor man's Derren Brown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 friskycat

Hey Keith

If you are so magical why oh why did you forsee that WATERFORD would beat KILKENNY in the ALL IRELAND HURLING FINAL 2008 ????

NOT A CHANCE

gotcha there Keith !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Why is the Irish Deal or No Deal so utterly terrible compared to the English version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Why is the Irish Deal or No Deal so utterly terrible compared to the English version?

I'll take this one....

TV3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement