Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Weeks in and the eagle/met have been more accurate than the Boards "experts"

Options
  • 07-01-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Discuss.....................................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

for what it's worth i think su campu has been the most accurate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Eagle says Polar Low.

No Polar Low.

Discuss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

gihj wrote: »
    Discuss.....................................

Yes, here in coastal north Kilkenny we had snow.

Lowest temperatures predicted by the Met were -7 or -8C.

Sorry but even though I'm not an expert I told people here that it was very likely to snow in Kilkenny yesterday.
    Kilkenny = west Leinster not east Leinster.

Weathercheck gave his forecast and mentioned us here in Carlow, Kilkenny, Waterford unlike Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Couldn't agree more.
    Thing is,our experts called every event first but ramped way over the top.
    Obviously the few living in certain "banker areas" were spot on but generally the met were spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The person who started a thread gives us their opinion 'Discuss.....................................'.

:confused:

Thanks for you op. Here is mine.

Boards.ie have been forecasting. ME have been nowcasting and even then getting it arseways on occasion. 6cm in west today was their prediction up until one hour ago?

I would gladly listen to boards.ie forecasts rather than 'stick hand out the window' nowcasts anyday!'

Once again thanks for your excellent post at the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

alfa beta wrote: »
    for what it's worth i think su campu has been the most accurate here.

Su Campu is Eagleton. Eagleton is Su Campu! <crying game music>

"polar low,unlikely to hit us but worth watching.always a chance".
    Poor effort Maq:o

Wolf,
    You in particular have been very entertaining and informative,
    the thing is after 3 weeks now they have been more accurete than the majority.
    There is no argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Met Eireann have got some things right, as have some people here on the boards... difference is people here don't get paid for it and they commit themselves to a definitive possible outcome, whereas met eireann often make sweeping generalisations that could rarely be wrong as their communication covers virtually every possible scenario - they are full of 'could be cold, dry or wintry showers of rain, hail, sleet, snow'... and Met Eireann still haven't given us the BIG snow event we want so they should all be sacked!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

This thread title is actually a clever way of getting people to give abuse to Met Eireann.

• Advertisement

Correct ghost but what do you count as a "big snow event"?
    Shortly after christmas the eagle said it was unlikely we would miss a "significant event".
    To date he was correct in more than just that.
    The old reliables got exactly as expected (and i for one am thankful for you guys updates and pics).
    The thing is who has been more accurate in general???

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

I agree. But you have to remember that this is a discussion board and a lot of it is speculation, something which Met Eireann cannot do. I find that Met Eireann are always pretty accurate and if they are not sure themselves they usually say so.

Many people have the impression that Met Eireann get it wrong more often than not but I think that a lot people don't actually listen to the weather forcast properly. There is usually a lot of detail in one forcast. And listening to the detail is key given the fact that our weather is very localised. I am not informed to talk about how the weather works but I reckon it's probably due to the fact that we live on an island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Fear Sneachta

Wolf,
    You in particular have been very entertaining and informative,
    the thing is after 3 weeks now they have been more accurete than the majority.
    There is no argument.

To be honest, your comparison is laughable. Met Eireann are a funded organisation with access to things that people on here dont, even still I find Met Eireann to be way off the mark sometimes especially a few days out. There are some people on here whos forecast are very accurate, look up some of MT Craniums posts aswell as Su Campu, Darkman, Trogdor and Weathercheck. These are people who are trying to forecast the weather with their combined knowledge. I know its the first place that I go for weather updates, sure enough, its not right all the time but neither are the professionals. I would be interested in hearing your explanation of how you think the weekend is going to pan out from the latest models or maybe you dont know the first thing about weather. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

"polar low,unlikely to hit us but worth watching.always a chance".
    Poor effort Maq:o

His exact words after the 6pm news were "a risk of more substantial snow showers as that polar low comes down".

Something which clearly has not happened. Just like the mention of risks of previous snow potential events by people on here.

The point of my reply to your magnificant post is that forecasts and predictions are often wrong. On here and with Met Eireann.

Oh and, fantastic usage of punctuation marks in your original post. Its always interesting to see the opening content of a thread have more punctuation marks than letters. Poor effort. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

in general.since I've been here I find the resident lads here(mt, su,wc,wolfe maq and the rest more reliable than met eireann.So much so than now I go to mt's forecast first where before I would check met E or the beeb first.I also bear in mind that as weather fans the lads are more prone to get excited about extreme weather events and as such might ramp things up a tad but on the whole they call it as they see it and more often than not they seem(to me)to see it very well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Shortly after christmas the eagle said it was unlikely we would miss a "significant event".
    The old reliables got exactly as expected (and i for one am thankful for you guys updates and pics).

Big snow event = Met Eireann staff having to wear nappies and stay up all night cacking themselves watching it occur after they said - again - we'd just get some 'rain, sleet, snow and hail'.

As to who is the most accurate - you'd need to do an indepth analysis of Met Eireann's communication to decipher what was actually accurate compared to mere generalised predictions that couldn't be wrong.

I think Wolfe hit the nail on the head earlier in his post. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Is this forum supposed to be in competition with met eireann or something? Not to my knowledge, although I for one have no time for those who blatantly slag off the met here on boards for no apparent reason. We are just a bunch of weather enthusiasts with an interest in the weather in Ireland who have a place to share our thoughts and views. If some people don't like that, and I suspect that those who opened this thread don't, then go somewhere else please, and leave us alone.

Mal,thank you for your reasoned reply.
    Maq,fear sneachta please read my post again re old reliables.
    Yes i admit i'm no expert,that doesn't take away from my opinion does it?
    Please see my previous pose in regard to MT.
    He and others on here are consistently "spot on"

Deep,
    the most sensible post on this thread.
    I'm only trying to guage an opinion and not anything else.
    We are all enthusiasts (some more informative than others i'm afraid to admit):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

malman wrote: »
    I agree. But you have to remember that this is a discussion board and a lot of it is speculation, something which Met Eireann cannot do. I find that Met Eireann are always pretty accurate and if they are not sure themselves they usually say so.

Many people have the impression that Met Eireann get it wrong more often than not but I think that a lot people don't actually listen to the weather forecast properly. There is usually a lot of detail in one forecast. And listening to the detail is key given the fact that our weather is very localised. I am not informed to talk about how the weather works but I reckon it's probably due to the fact that we live on an island.

SORRY put i listen to Met Eireann very carefully because the weather effects my work also you are right there is alot of detail in there forecast the give everything underneath the sun and the through that in too to cover themselves if there wrong, Met Eireann are always sitting on the fence waiting and waiting and waiting to see what other forecast stations are doing always last with big weather events never taking the bull by the horns. sorry i,m not having ago at you but Met Eireann have got me in so many difficult situations e.g Last year one Friday Met Eireann give us heavy rain what happened we got snow 5" in two hours need i say more.

• Advertisement

Yes hot but the thread title says "3 weeks".
    That and that only is the subject of the discussion.
    I cannot believe the level of defensive posts in reply to my op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

malman wrote: »

Many people have the impression that Met Eireann get it wrong more often than not but I think that a lot people don't actually listen to the weather forcast properly. There is usually a lot of detail in one forcast. And listening to the detail is key given the fact that our weather is very localised. I am not informed to talk about how the weather works but I reckon it's probably due to the fact that we live on an island.

How do you expect us to listen to the detail when your attention is on Jean's latest number:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Yes hot but the thread title says "3 weeks".
    That and that only is the subject of the discussion.
    I cannot believe the level of defensive posts in reply to my op

Ok i miss read, i would say its neck and neck at the moment it will be interesting to see what happens the weekend. one thing for sure it will be busy on this board;)

Hot,

Loaded up with beer,coal,fags and food.
    All set for more endless hours of weather watching on here.
    Bring it on:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Joe Public wrote: »
    How do you expect us to listen to the detail when your attention is on Jean's latest number:)

So true...:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

To me your comparing Apples and Oranges

Met
    Paid professionals
    They should not be getting it wrong but they do sometimes

Boards "experts"
    Amateur Enthusiast's
    Non Paid and giving up alot of their own good time
    They get it wrong sometimes, but have been spot on for an awful lot of events, as well as educating a lot of people as to how Weather and Weather forecasting works

Weather is not an exact science , that sentence has been beaten to death the last few weeks , but how true it is .

TBH , I have not seen you posting much in the weather forums and find this a very strange topic of discussion aimed to get a rise out of some people

Jesus Pete take the topic as read please.
    The point was not whether pro or amateur.
    IT's a harmless comparison looking for opinions.
    Oh and by the way don't give me any **** regarding my post count.
    That is irrelevant besides the fact i have been lurking on here for a long time now 12 months of the year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Jesus Pete take the topic as read please.
    The point was not whether pro or amateur.
    IT's a harmless comparison looking for opinions.
    Oh and by the way don't give me any **** regarding my post count.
    That is irrelevant besides the fact i have been lurking on here for a long time now 12 months of the year.

Pro or amateur comes into it with out a shadow of a doubt .

The MET should be more accurate than Boards all the time as they are the paid Pro's , but there not

End of .

I was not talking about your post count , more to the fact that I have not seen much of input in the weather forums before now.

I myself was also a lurker before I joined in back in sep 2008.

No no no no no.
    Read the title of the post please.
    Are you deliberately trying to make an issue of an intended fun thread????
    Lets start from a level playing field and compare the 2 so.
    My contributions to any particular thread are none of your business thank you very much.
    You know NOTHING about me or my ability/sparetime or internet access

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Met Eireann have probably been sitting on the fence on this one as they are unused to such a weather set up. As I said before, I think making a weather forecast involves basing your forecast on past experience. The rest is made up of the same charts we look at. If the experience is not there from recent years then they are forced to be a little more cautious, hence nowcasting.

I do like the people at Met Eireann. I do watch their forecasts all the time. But, you probably do not have to be a rocket scientist to give a weather forecast. There are plenty of people here who give their forecasts based on their own expertise and readings. That's what makes Boards.ie's weather forum top class. We hear a hundred different forecasts.

Using Met Eireann as your only source for weather info is like reading one book about world war two and then being asked your opinion about the war. Using Boards.ie and ME, along with other sources, as platforms for getting your weather info is like reading 100 books about the war and then being asked the same question. The more views you hear, the more informed you are in making your own mind up.

Advertisement