Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent reduction

Options
  • 07-01-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

hi,i am currently renting a 1 bed apartment in cork city at 800pm my lease is up next month and i am just wondering how do i go about asking for a rent reduction? I never asked for a reduction sinced i moved in eventhough prices have fallen, also the same apartment as mine in the same development is being advertised for rent by a different estate agent at 725pm do i mention this to my landlord? thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

kat151283 wrote: »
    hi,i am currently renting a 1 bed apartment in cork city at 800pm my lease is up next month and i am just wondering how do i go about asking for a rent reduction? I never asked for a reduction sinced i moved in eventhough prices have fallen, also the same apartment as mine in the same development is being advertised for rent by a different estate agent at 725pm do i mention this to my landlord? thanks in advance

(I'm a landlord, and I've given this advice on other threads)

Decide first if you would move if he doesn't give a reduction.

Then... view the €725 apartment, go to your landlord and tell him you are looking for a reduction to match the €725 per month. Offer to guarantee to stay another 6 / 12 months (i.e. sign a lease).

A reasonable and professional landlord should agree to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Definitely mention the other apartment, but I'd be vague and say you can get a similar place for much cheaper. FWIW, places will often go for less than the advertised amount, so that €725 apartment may go for €700.

Rents have taken a hammering. I rented a two bed in a nice development in Oct 2008 for €1300 pcm, now you can get 3 beds there for less than that, and 2 beds are plentiful at €1100.

As 3DataModem says though, you need a clear idea of what your plan is should the reduction be refused. Are you willing to move out? What reduction would you accept? It's a good time to be looking for a place so I wouldn't be afraid of moving for cheaper rent unless you really love your place.

Advertisement