Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro to Sterling Question

Options
  • 07-01-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Hi, im looking at buying a car in the north at the weekend and im wondering what is the best way to pay for it. I heard that if you use your credit card you will just get the rate on the day and you will not be charged commission. Is this true and if not whats the best way to change it? Also a credit card question, I dont have the pin number for my credit card (never use it apart from online) and im going on saturday so could not get a new pin. Can you use your signature and just sign something or do you need the pin

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You will get charged a cross border handling fee of between 1% and 2.5% approx, depending on your credit card provider if you use your card.

As regards the pin, the retailer has the option to bypass the pin and get you to sign, but it's at their discretion whether or not they will do this. You could give the dealer a ring and ask what payment method they'll accept. If you're getting a sterling draft, it usually costs between €3 and €4 depending on where you bank, so depending on the price of the car, this might be a cheaper option, providing the dealer will accept one.

If you do decide to pay by draft, I'd get it made out for about £1000 or so less than the price of the car, and bring the difference in cash, so you can still haggle if you want to.

Advertisement