Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping bank statements

Options
  • 07-01-2010 9:43pm

I have three accounts with Ulster Bank and one with Halifax. Is it possible to stop them sending out statements? I have internet banking so they're unnecessary really. I'm also worried about disposing of them and identity theft. I don't have a shredder so am forced to cut them up with a scissors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I have three accounts with Ulster Bank and one with Halifax. Is it possible to stop them sending out statements? I have internet banking so they're unnecessary really. I'm also worried about disposing of them and identity theft. I don't have a shredder so am forced to cut them up with a scissors.

Bank's are obliged by Law to send you out a statement of account at least once a year. You can't stop them doing it...they have to do it by Law. I know AIB allow you to have your statements available on internet banking as PDF files instead of posting them out....do Ulster Bank have this option on their internet banking?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Bank's are obliged by Law to send you out a statement of account at least once a year. You can't stop them doing it...they have to do it by Law. I know AIB allow you to have your statements available on internet banking as PDF files instead of posting them out....do Ulster Bank have this option on their internet banking?
    Not that I know of but I will have a look. Once a year would be better than the deluge I'm getting at the moment.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If they don't do an email statement just ask them to change your statement frequency to annual or every six months. I had to do this too because I was just being inundated with statements that I didn't need. It's worked well so far, although it was quite funny when my last statement arrived, it was 15 pages long!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

With BOI I only get one statement per year as I do all my banking online.
    I assume they were clever enough to realise this as I never actually told them so they must have had some way of finding out I check the bank account regularly (once I day cause I'm paranoid and broke :) )

Of course it doesn't actually help save the environment, since my last statement arrived in 8 different envelopes with 5 pages in each one!!

Yeah went to both the Halifax and Ulster today and got it changed to once a year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement