Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here if your boiler has failed or your pipes have frozen!

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Scotland sending Norn Iron 160,000 liters of fresh water as pipes crumble.

mike65 wrote: »
    Scotland sending Norn Iron 160,000 liters of fresh water as pipes crumble.

Ireland importing water! It's as daft as Saudi Arabia importing sand (true, they do)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Our thaw started on the 27th, no pipework damage thankfully, mostly because of keeping the closed circuit gas-fired heating going more often than before.
    It's good to have water flowing in the mains again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

its a day for the shorts and t-shirt today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Snowman10 wrote: »
    its a day for the shorts and t-shirt today

yea its probably 20 degree difference over a day or 2, would`t see that too often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 allnsundre

friends of mine have been reduced to sleeping in front of their open fire, water frozen solid, radiators burst sockets covered in ice, oh ye no oil, they thought it was more preudent to have broadband than oil????

imagine that:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Hey I finally got my water back today YAY!!
    but now I've noticed that there is a steady flow of water outside rising up from the stopcock.
    I can only assume that ice managed to crack the stopcock in some way and now that its thawed its leaking.
    So now what do I do?
    Is it a just a job for a plumber to replace the stopcock?
    Or do i need to tell the council or what?
    (I live in an estate)
    Any advice appreciated!!!

The stopcock is the responsibility of the local council as it's the demarkation point between their pipes and your pipes. Tell the council, they might be a bit slow in coming around, one or two other leaks to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Thanks A Mill...After reading your two posts I climbed up into the attic, the ball was floating, the bar was not bent, so I went off and bought a new connection (pipe thing ?) anyway, I disconnected the old one, swopped on the ball cock and hey presto its sorted....not sure what was actually the problem as everything looked the same on the old one and the new one but either way its ok now....Thanks Again !!!!:):)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The council in Limerick have been turning off water to individual premises they believe to be flooding, a lot of student accommodation in Limerick has been destroyed. Hard to believe that some owners have yet to check in on their properties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Water froze here at my parents house xmas eve and came back on 27th.
    Just before I left Cork on the 22nd, the hot water had gone, so not sure what state the water will be when I head back next week. Haven't heard anything from the landlord (live in a flat) so I presume nothing too bad has happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lockyjpl

Just got water back today, and i thought my days of having to go up and down with drums of water filling the tank were over, but there not:eek:
    My tap in the kitchen is running fine but no water is getting to the tank in the attic. I'm certain the pipe leading up to it is not frozen so thinking it may be airlocked.
    I'm thinking of attaching a pipe from the tap to the pipe and forcing water up the pipe, wondering would this work or any other suggestions, need help, back is broken filling the bloody thing :mad: Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

lockyjpl wrote: »
    Just got water back today, and i thought my days of having to go up and down with drums of water filling the tank were over, but there not:eek:
    My tap in the kitchen is running fine but no water is getting to the tank in the attic. I'm certain the pipe leading up to it is not frozen so thinking it may be airlocked.
    I'm thinking of attaching a pipe from the tap to the pipe and forcing water up the pipe, wondering would this work or any other suggestions, need help, back is broken filling the bloody thing :mad: Thanks in advance :)

Maybe it did some damage to the ballcock fitting in the tank. Can't imagine how it could airlock.

If your cold tap is working again in kitchen then that should be mains and there would be no airlock problem there up to tank, is the mains back as good a pressure as it was? It may possibly be just not back at good enough pressure to reach the tank.

Did you go up and try moving stopcock float up and down to see is it stuck?

Maybe it did some damage to the ballcock fitting in the tank. Can't imagine how it could airlock.

Did'nt think it could either, just running out of ideas, in what way could the ballcock have been damaged out of curiousity?

When my mains froze, next doors did not, so i just attached their outside tap to my one, that saves the hassle of bringing water to attic tank.

Another thing you can do to see is the pressure good enough to reach the attic tank at the moment is to try a garden hose from your kitchen cold tap up to the tank and see does the water flow up the hose to the tank.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    If your cold tap is working again in kitchen then that should be mains and there would be no airlock problem there up to tank, is the mains back as good a pressure as it was? It may possibly be just not back at good enough pressure to reach the tank.

Did you go up and try moving stopcock float up and down to see is it stuck?

Ya the mains are back to what seems to be full pressure, if you mean ballcock in the tank ya i checked and its moving like it should, just back down from filling tank again and gettin abit arghhhh lol

When my mains froze, next doors did not, so i just attached their outside tap to my one, that saves the hassle of bringing water to attic tank.

Another thing you can do to see is the pressure good enough to reach the attic tank at the moment is to try a garden hose from your kitchen cold tap up to the tank and see does the water flow up the hose to the tank.

Ya i'll try that tomorrow, getting a hose tomorrow regardless, at the very least it'll make it easier filling the tank :D

Ya the mains are back to what seems to be full pressure, if you mean ballcock in the tank ya i checked and its moving like it should, just back down from filling tank again and gettin abit arghhhh lol

Get a garden hose up, at least you wont have to be filling it manually.

Also blocking the kitchen tap if its a mixer and put on hot then cold will fill the tank by forcing water up through the hot water cylinder. That will also tell you the pressure is high enough. But the garden hose seems best bet at the moment. No chance you have a burst pipe between kitchen sink and attic tank?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Could be that although you have water on the ground floor, the pressure is low, which is happening in a lot of places at the moment, so there's not enough pressure to get up to the roof tank and refill it. Not easy to check, unless you have a tap on the ground floor that will take a hose that will reach to the roof tank. If you have a tap and hose, take the hose end up to the roof tank, hold it over the tank, and get someone to turn the tap on downstairs, If you get water out of the hose into the roof tank, then there is a problem with either something blocking the pipe to the roof tank, or the ball valve in the tank has either stuck or is blocked by a piece of debris or similar that's blocking the flow. With all the problems there have been with breaks in pipes and the like, if you are in a hard water area, it's possible that some limescale has been disloged from somewhere, and is blocking the ball valve nozzle, especially if your water pressure is normally high, as that means a smaller nozzle so more readily blocked. If that's the suspect, turn off the incoming stop cock and dismantle the ball valve in the tank and make sure that there's nothing blocking the nozzle. If possible, remove the nozzle, (don't lose any O rings or similar) and carefully turn the water back on, slowly, and see if you get any flow into the tank from the supply pipe. If yes, reassemble everything and test again, if No, then there's a problem somewhere else. One other possible, did anyone turn off any valves in the house anywhere to see if it made any difference, they might have turned the wrong one off and forgotten to turn it on again

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

Best insulation to put over pipes especially if theyre in the ground is polystyrene you know the kind like beads, used in packaging, either broken up ur in lengths. The insulation companies pump it into cavity walls, its great stuff.
    I tried it as a last resort and it worked!

Get a garden hose up, at least you wont have to be filling it manually.

Also blocking the kitchen tap if its a mixer and put on hot then cold will fill the tank by forcing water up through the hot water cylinder. That will also tell you the pressure is high enough. But the garden hose seems best bet at the moment. No chance you have a burst pipe between kitchen sink and attic tank?
    Could be that although you have water on the ground floor, the pressure is low, which is happening in a lot of places at the moment, so there's not enough pressure to get up to the roof tank and refill it. Not easy to check, unless you have a tap on the ground floor that will take a hose that will reach to the roof tank. If you have a tap and hose, take the hose end up to the roof tank, hold it over the tank, and get someone to turn the tap on downstairs, If you get water out of the hose into the roof tank, then there is a problem with either something blocking the pipe to the roof tank, or the ball valve in the tank has either stuck or is blocked by a piece of debris or similar that's blocking the flow. With all the problems there have been with breaks in pipes and the like, if you are in a hard water area, it's possible that some limescale has been disloged from somewhere, and is blocking the ball valve nozzle, especially if your water pressure is normally high, as that means a smaller nozzle so more readily blocked. If that's the suspect, turn off the incoming stop cock and dismantle the ball valve in the tank and make sure that there's nothing blocking the nozzle. If possible, remove the nozzle, (don't lose any O rings or similar) and carefully turn the water back on, slowly, and see if you get any flow into the tank from the supply pipe. If yes, reassemble everything and test again, if No, then there's a problem somewhere else. One other possible, did anyone turn off any valves in the house anywhere to see if it made any difference, they might have turned the wrong one off and forgotten to turn it on again

Steve

Connected a garden hose from the kitchen up to the tank and nothing going up, so more than likely no pressure, so its a case of wait til the council sorts out all the problems i guess, thanks for all the suggestions :)

Advertisement