Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here if your boiler has failed or your pipes have frozen!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Our mains is off and the attic tank had one inch of ice on top and on sides despite the insulation - House is only a year old

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My attic tank would be frozen and pipe burst by now had I not put a Dimplex Electric Heater in the attic, I run it on a time for two or three hours overnight and it brings air temp to just above freezing preventing disaster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

If you suspect that the pipes in tha attic are freezing, you should open the trap door to allow some of the heat to rise and thaw/prevent freezing.

Only downside is it chills the house.

Aye, it helps greatly. I installed an infra-red lamp in my attic last Christmas that kicks in when the temperature goes below a certain level. It was a great investment, and I would recommend it to everyone. The peace of mind is certainly worth the €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Just got the heat going again in the gas boiler. Condensate pipe coming out had frozen. Have pulled out rubber hose going into the pipe under the boiler, loads of water flooded out, put a bucket under, job done. Plumber coming out tomorrow to fit a wider pipe.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Aye, it helps greatly. I installed an infra-red lamp in my attic last Christmas that kicks in when the temperature goes below a certain level. It was a great investment, and I would recommend it to everyone. The peace of mind is certainly worth the €100.

And a hell of a lot cheaper than thousands saved in repair costs after burst pipes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 McN

Anyone any ideas on thawing pipes under concrete. The pipes are frozen for 2 days now and it looks not going to thaw in any time soon. We can access the pipes from the garage. Would putting salt or something help thaw it along the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

McN wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas on thawing pipes under concrete. The pipes are frozen for 2 days now and it looks not going to thaw in any time soon. We can access the pipes from the garage. Would putting salt or something help thaw it along the line.
    I had same problem last year.
    I heated the footpath with a blowtorch, the type used for roofing.
    After a about two hours of heating put some insulation on the concrete to keep the heat in. Water came back on after a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Jebus..
    Was feeling smug that had no problems with frost and then at 11pm the tennant rang.. they were away overnight and left the heating off :eek:
    I went over and put an oil filled radiator near the tank overnight and hopefully this will thaw it out... Who goes away for one night and turns off the heating in this weather!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

BostonB wrote: »
    Where did you get that from?

The bulb, 150 IR will cost about €9, you need a ceramic holder, €7, a foot of chain to hang it from, €1. Dont have a stat switch on mine btw.

Bulb: 4home, elec wholesale or any agri shop, although i would say the main DIY places would carry these now.

Ceramic holder: Any elec wholesale, these have been on short stock the last few weeks in most places, but keep checking back. It has to be ceramic by the way to take the heat.

As for the chain, peace of mind more than anything else, not really required.

As a DIY job and if you are just replaceing an existing bulb its easy and cheap, <20 quid, if you need to run a cable from the hotpress, fit a stat switch and get a spark in i can see it running to ~ 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My washing machine was frozen for two weeks during the last snow. It managed to freeze again in 3 hours early this morning. Got it thawed out and since then have been coddling it with a big duvet and blanket and 2 hot water bottles changed every couple of hours plus constant washing. I'm going to put on a 90 deg wash now which usually lasts a good couple of hours and I hope it's still working in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Pipe from my well into the house finally frozen.
    Been well prepared, with plenty of drinking water stored.
    Yesterday handwashed a few non machinable items and forgot to re-fill the bath afterwards, (for flushing, washing etc) aaarrrggg!!
    Still, living a few meters from the sea has its advantages, that is now my "spare" tank :D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Has anyone any advice for me re a frozen bath water pipe? It's seems to be the only pipe affected, sink and toilet in bathroom are fine. When I have a shower have to empty the water with a basin down the sink as it won't drain.

Have tried boiling water in the bath, pipe is meeting the drain up over the back door so can't reach it. Would salt in the boiling water be any addition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Water pipes frozen solid :(

Thank goodness for the new stove that's keeping the sitting-room nice and toasty.

Boo-urns to the no-water sitch though, such a pain in the ass :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

Has anyone any advice for me re a frozen bath water pipe? It's seems to be the only pipe affected, sink and toilet in bathroom are fine. When I have a shower have to empty the water with a basin down the sink as it won't drain.

Have tried boiling water in the bath, pipe is meeting the drain up over the back door so can't reach it. Would salt in the boiling water be any addition?

I would not put boiling water down, it might burst the pipes.
    Some warm salty water might help.
    Have you checked to make sure its not clogged with hair and gunk?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

boiler is grand in the shed but the pipes under ground to bring the hot water in are frozen....so so cold! staying in a friends house for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

EUR100? Should be a lot less than that.
    As noted in the other post the Bulb and Ceramic Fitting are about EUR25. B&Q sell Thermally Controlled plugs-in sockets (no need for frost stats and more serious wiring) for EUR36. Just set the min temp you want to maintain (ie 2c) and it comes on at 1.9c and below. Plug anything you want into it (ie a bulb).

Cannot remember what B&Q call them (so cant find on their site) but are in aisle 11. I asked several of my local HW stores and they have never seen or heard of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Main into kitchen is fine but main to water tank up stairs frozen.

Hot water cyclinder burst as expansion pipe frozen.

both pipes are heavily insulated and in insulated crawl space.
    In athenry. Temp last night was -15 at least :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭para45

soccerc wrote: »
    Our mains is off and the attic tank had one inch of ice on top and on sides despite the insulation - House is only a year old

Hi Sorry to hear . What tempretures did you have there .

is the rafter that meet the slates also insulated or only the internal ceilings of the house upstairs.

Is this so well insulated that you r attic is freezing and outside exposer is coming from the roof slates.

Had my boiler running for 3 days now nonstop but at 35/40c . And a light bulb 100w old type at my water tank during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭para45

Matt Simis wrote: »
    EUR100? Should be a lot less than that.
    As noted in the other post the Bulb and Ceramic Fitting are about EUR25. B&Q sell Thermally Controlled plugs-in sockets (no need for frost stats and more serious wiring) for EUR36. Just set the min temp you want to maintain (ie 2c) and it comes on at 1.9c and below. Plug anything you want into it (ie a bulb).

Cannot remember what B&Q call them (so cant find on their site) but are in aisle 11. I asked several of my local HW stores and they have never seen or heard of these!

I will get one of those . THANK YOU SO MUCH :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

We've a condensation boiler. Water outlet out side the house freezes and has to be thawed with hot water to get it going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

:confused:

Have cold water coming into the kitchen, but no water anywhere else. No heating! Can't flush the toilet, and I've a dodgy tummy!

Don't even know where to start trying to sort out the pipes!

You can flush the toilet by pouring a bucket down it. Which you can fill from the sink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

ive no water coming from any tap .not even cold tap in kitchen.
    its been like this for three days,but my neighbours have water.

cant wash,cook, flush toilets etc. cant find stop cock either.

You can flush the toilet by pouring a bucket down it. Which you can fill from the sink.

Aye, I've figured that out, but running up and down the stairs with a bucket is a bit of a pain in the arse! So to speak :pac:

You could run a hose from kitchen to tank, and fill your tank. Keep you going for a while.

Sometimes you can connect neighbours outside tap you yours and that also fills the system back up. I'm not sure of the details of that one though.

Have you had the heating on much. Surprised an inside pipe freezes and the outside supply doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

neeb wrote: »
    I would not put boiling water down, it might burst the pipes.
    Some warm salty water might help.
    Have you checked to make sure its not clogged with hair and gunk?:eek:

That may have contributed to it alright! But I unscrewed the silver thing in the plughole and had a poke around with some wire and couldn't feel any blockage.

Haven't gone near it since this morning, no more boiling water so, I'll try the warm water and salt. Probably have to just wait for it to thaw, if it's the only pipe that freezes on me I'll count myself lucky, could be worse.

You could run a hose from kitchen to tank, and fill your tank. Keep you going for a while.

Sometimes you can connect neighbours outside tap you yours and that also fills the system back up. I'm not sure of the details of that one though.

Have you had the heating on much. Surprised an inside pipe freezes and the outside supply doesn't.

Yeah, not too shy with the heating. Frozen from yesterday, I was at work, but Mrs was at home when it froze up. It started with the cold water tap and the toilet, then the hot taps upstairs followed after that. Hot water tap in the kitchen is gone now.

:( Don't even have a fire, there is a fireplace, but no chimney, only a silly electric blow heater that's next to useless at heating, but great at chewing through electric!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

:confused:

Have cold water coming into the kitchen, but no water anywhere else. No heating! Can't flush the toilet, and I've a dodgy tummy!

Don't even know where to start trying to sort out the pipes!

The fact that you have water at the kitchen sink means you're mains supply to the house is not frozen...great news

You're problem is most likely in the attic, probably poorly lagged pipes near the tank or the tank itself frozen... It would be well worth getting a fan type heater, bring it up to the attic, you may need an extension lead. Put the heater going blowing the hot air in the direction of the tank/pipes.. Make sure the heater is sitting on a solid surface, big flat roasting tin would be good..
    Check it's OK regularly and fingers crossed it would thaw out you're problem..

I know there is a "thaw" coming after christmas but no guarentee this will free you're water any way quickly... Best give it a go and you may have water back in a few hours... If you place the heater safely then there is nothing to loose.... I explained this to my mother yeaterday (she's 65) and she had her own water going in 2 hours..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Last Christmas eve I went out with a pick axe and bludgeoned the ground to throw up some carrots and parsnips for the Christmas dinner, this year I don't think its even worth trying its so frozen.

Advertisement