Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citation and Referencing Information

Options
  • 07-01-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Alright folks,
    just thought I'd start this thread up considering the amount of people I've encountered who can't reference or cite. I'm keen on the Harvard Style, however it is one among many that is used in academia and in professional circles today. Harvard is great because all you have to do is write a sentence and put in your citation in brackets at the end. Or in some cases you can work it into the sentence itself and be really stylish about it. So if you know a referencing system e.g. Chicago etc... throw down what you know and some links to some examples or write some examples.:D

Here's the Cite it Right Guide from the University of Limerick, excellent resource, absolutely invaluable for citation information in the Harvard Style.

Here are some examples of citation that I used in an essay for a final year geography module. I just took this example because it was in my emails and I'm too lazy to get stuff off the usb.

This is the general way of in text citation:

The astronomical motor behind Quaternary glaciation contained three primary elements; there are two driving elements which cause alterations in the intensity of the seasons and a third element that affects the relationship between the two driving elements (Broecker and Denton, 1990).

Incorporating the source into the sentence:

Nesje and Dahl (2000) examine how the gravitational effects of other planets, alters the axis of spin and the plane of orbit that the earth has with the sun.

Citing from more than one source in a sentence:

The present axis of spin is at 23.5 degrees from the vertical axis and this oscillates from 21.5 degrees to 24.5 degrees over a period of 41,000 years (Lowe and Walker, 1984; Broecker and Denton, 1990; Benn and Evans, 1998).

Citing a particular word or term for something:

The Younger Dryas or as it is known in Ireland the ‘Nahanagan stadial’ (cf. Colhoun and Synge, 1980)

Quoting in a sentence:

“an ingenious attempt” (Williams et al., 1993, pp. 237).

Incorporating a quote into a sentence:

In this regard Broecker and Denton (1989) postulate: “one way to kill the conveyor belt would be to greatly reduce (or reverse) loss of water vapour from the Atlantic” (pp. 2491).

Here's what a bibliography should look like.

Book source:

Alley, R. B. (2000) The Two-Mile Time Machine: Ice Cores, Abrupt Climate Change, And Our Future, Princeton: Princeton University Press.

Journal Article:

Berger, W. H. Killingley, J. S., and Vincent, E. (1987) ‘Time Scale of the Wisconsin/Holocene transition: Oxygen Isotope record in the western equatorial Pacific’, Quaternary Research 28, 295-306.

I could do more but if you know how to cite and reference books and journals, then you know 95% of what you need to know.

Feel free to add more stuff to the thread as it could be useful.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

El Siglo wrote: »
    Yeh forum posts would be pretty retarded sources to go with, as bad as citing wikipedia

But your harvard link is directed to 'wikipedia' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

TirNaNog. wrote: »

I like the UCD library guide to it

http://www.ucd.ie/library/guides/pdf/blackrock/BICGuide27HarvardReferencing.pdf

Here's the non-pdf version

http://www.ucd.ie/library/students/information_skills/harvard.html

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

use Endnote, have the computer do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

TirNaNog. wrote: »

As a simple explanation, I couldn't be arsed getting a decent website with the same stuff. And in case you're wonder, yeh, I was aware of the irony. How apt of you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

graduate wrote: »
    use Endnote, have the computer do it for you.

I'd agree, EndNote is fantastic but it has been known to crash losing all references. Happened to me twice, it also messed up my references when i changed the word document resulting in miss-citations. Happened to a few other people i know.

That was EndNote x2, the free one from UCD so i don't know if these kinda problems have been resolved for x3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

I have the Harvard system, along with several other styles, on Word 2007. It makes life easier. I like this website - http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm but which ever one I use, none of them keeps up to date with electronic sources. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with a Google maps image.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Endnote crashes non-stop on Windows, and the Mac port is a bad conversion of the Windows app rather than a correctly-done Mac app.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Use BiBTeX.

Advertisement