Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas barrel frozen-mobile home

• 07-01-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I use gas as my main form of heating,cooking ,hot water. Every morning it seems to have been frozen as it makes a hissing sound and sort of blows up into the air if I try to light a gas ring and the gas lights up a foot into the air but no fire at the gasring proper (ifykwim) on the cooker-very scary.
    I have insulated the outside gaspipe line(with that wraparound stuff) to the best of my ability and the gasbarrel is in a bin with newspaper and straw insulation but I feel very nervous about the whole situation.
    I am torn between letting the gasfire burn on low all night to prevent frozen pipes or turning off the gas at the barrel each night- that is what I have been doing-hence the scenario described above.
    But am so afraid of an explosion in either case.
    Any advice please from a gas installer or other know how?Would using expanding foam around the outside pipes be a no-no?
    P.S Am not in a position to move out so keep that in mind when you reply

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'll guess you have a leak in the gas pipe which is introducing moisture into the supply. It's a bit like if you poured water onto the run before you lit it? That's the only way I could see the rings behave like that.

Replace the pipe and the regulator. Ensure the regulator is spec'd correctly and note that gas pipes these days have a best-before date printed on them...!

Is it Butane(bad with cold) or Propane(good with cold)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭pinc

10-10-20 [/code]"I'll guess you have a leak in the gas pipe which is introducing moisture into the supply. It's a bit like if you poured water onto the run before you lit it? That's the only way I could see the rings behave like that."

Would I be insane to try to seal off the leak temporarily now that I found it-you were spot on btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

pinc wrote: »
    10-10-20 [/code]"I'll guess you have a leak in the gas pipe which is introducing moisture into the supply. It's a bit like if you poured water onto the run before you lit it? That's the only way I could see the rings behave like that."

Would I be insane to try to seal off the leak temporarily now that I found it-you were spot on btw.

Where is gas line leaking? A fitting with nut? A solder fitting? A hose? Cracked pipe?
    Gas is dangerous, supply has to be 100 % sound, leak free, gas leak and temporally fixed shouldn't be in same sentence.

Fair point.Well made.
    I am temporarily insane:eek:(akin to temporary gas fix idea). I have no way of making tea/coffee,or any hot food -no hot shower.( no running water at all actually) no heating apart from electric one which is very site specific.
    NOTE TO SELF: "Don't ever attempt Everest".
    Thanks for taking the time to advise against a v. stupid idea.
    Will regroup-After all I still have my electric blankie....and tomorrow is another day...:D

• Advertisement

Whats the leak on?

pinc wrote: »
    Fair point.Well made.
    I am temporarily insane:eek:(akin to temporary gas fix idea). I have no way of making tea/coffee,or any hot food -no hot shower.( no running water at all actually) no heating apart from electric one which is very site specific.
    NOTE TO SELF: "Don't ever attempt Everest".
    Thanks for taking the time to advise against a v. stupid idea.
    Will regroup-After all I still have my electric blankie....and tomorrow is another day...:D

Sorry to hear about it, all in all, living is more important than any of the above. Gas is risky, some float in air others sink, your leaking gas has sunk, its heaver than air, its not going to evaporate, it will lie around dips, pockets in ground for a good while before breaking up. Just be careful with smoking and fires etc around leak area for a while.

Where is gas leaking? most times its just a loose nut, all the pulling, knocking and banging while changing cylinders can loosen nuts. Wipe some soapy water around area's you think might have leak, any bubbles means leak, no bubbles means no leaks, if its just a nut you could tighten it yourself with spanner, re check with soapy to make sure its sound.

Best of luck.

Leak is due to burst pipe almost definitely, as I could smell it from one area of pipe when I went investigating (with a box of matches;) LOL)
    I'll double check with the soap thing in the a.m.
    Gas disconnected now so we're safe from gas explosions but in danger of hpyothermia- Jeeze if it's not one thing it's another.....
    Thanks for awnsers-it's good to know ye're out there.

You'll be up there, if you use a match again.

Jeeze,Gary I WAS joking about the matches.I have no reason to use matches any time soon as I have no gas to light.

• Advertisement

I'm glad you have sense, but i have very little faith in human nature, i have had people look me in the eye after they have blown their house up and tell me they honestly thought that sellotape and Brillo pads would seal their gas leak, but a match they were holding proved them wrong. Stay warm, Gary.

Best I've seen, detected gas leak with u gauge @ meter test point, no leaks @ appliances, broke gas line to trace leak, found section of pipe with leak, kitchen stripped out, floor dug up. Someone repaired a wiku ( coated rolled copper) gas line with qualpex and two straight joiners, wiku must been damaged during construction of house. It would of held as pipe was home in fitting, only problem was pipe had been scored causing the leak.

While your there Gary, is test still 95 to 100 mb settle then 5 mins? I forgot to solder a fitting once, it passed mb test as flux was enough to hold 100 mb, would never have noticed only leaned on pipe. Simple mistake. Same pressure in UK or more?

Advertisement