Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Spec

• 07-01-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Bit of a techy question guys, sorry.

After humming and hawing over the idea of a shiny new Mac this year, ive decided that the money could be better spent elsewhere. (5D Mk II later in the year!)

However im still going to need a dedicated PC for photography work. (By dedicated i mean not overflowing with crap ive downloaded from the internet and running slower than a sloth on crutches).

What kind of Spec should i be looking for?

I'd be running lightroom and photoshop as my main tools.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

4gb ram, minimum. 7200 rpm hd minimum, maybe a smaller one as swap. duel core minimum, not vista - win 7. some sort of dedicated gfx, avoid onbaord. for ps you dont need anything mad, just lots of ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

4gb ram, minimum. 7200 rpm hd minimum, maybe a smaller one as swap. duel core minimum, not vista - win 7. some sort of dedicated gfx, avoid onbaord. for ps you dont need anything mad, just lots of ram

I know I've said it before but I can safely and speedily run both LR and PS on a 1gig ram netbook for basic PP. Have a replacement 2g ram module to install.

However on laptop, 4gb ram, XP, 250gb 7200rpm hdd and 512mb dedicated graphics card while on desktop it's same as lappy but with 1gb ram on the graphics card.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

cs4 and lightroom on 1 gb with a atom processor... speedily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

cs4 and lightroom on 1 gb with a atom processor... speedily?

CS3 and Lightroom...and yes speedily.

Import, process, caption and transmit by either ftp or email without any problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Studio XPS 8100 DT StudioXPS 8100 - Intel Core i5 Processor 750 (2.66GHz, 8MB)

StudioXPS 8100 - Intel Core i5 Processor 750 (2.66GHz, 8MB) 1
    Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate 64bit- English 1

6144MB 1066 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048 + 2x1024] 1
    2TB Dual Hard Drive Non RAID (2x1TB - 7200rpm) 1
    1GB NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT220 graphics card 1
    16X DVD+/- RW Optical Drive (DVD & CD read and write) (Win 7 Only) 1
    Dell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY) 1
    Dell 2 Button USB Optical Mouse 1
    Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Studio XPS 8100 DT StudioXPS 8100 - Intel Core i5 Processor 750 (2.66GHz, 8MB)

StudioXPS 8100 - Intel Core i5 Processor 750 (2.66GHz, 8MB) 1
    Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate 64bit- English 1

6144MB 1066 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048 + 2x1024] 1
    2TB Dual Hard Drive Non RAID (2x1TB - 7200rpm) 1
    1GB NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT220 graphics card 1
    16X DVD+/- RW Optical Drive (DVD & CD read and write) (Win 7 Only) 1
    Dell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY) 1
    Dell 2 Button USB Optical Mouse 1
    Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio 1

holy crap ! Any gamer would be green in the face !!! (like me !) 6gig of DDR3, nice very nice, I got 8gig of DDR2 in mine :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

big hard drive 500gb plus. 7200rpm is a nice bonus but not really needed if you have enough ram

dual core

more then 2gb of ram

any sort of dedicated ghraphics

if you look hard you should be able to pick one up for under 450 euro

I've ran lightroom on a netbook with a 1.6ghz atom and 2gb of ram. It was pretty smooth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I see www.boffer.co.uk have a high spec hp pc today, still seems a bit pricey, but its a while since I checked prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Maybe one of the new i5's or i7's. Quadcore would be fine. But definitely go for Windows 7 64 bit with 8 gig. 32 bit only handles just over 3 gig. No matter how fast people think their netbooks are they really haven't experienced how fast it REALLY can be ;-) Lightroom does 64 bit now. PS soon. Give yourself at least a few years benefit from what you buy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

the boffer forum suggests it would be eligible for free win7 upgrade... the price on laptop direct, amazon, komplett all over £700 so maybe not so bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Cheers everyone!

Given me a wee bit to mull over....even if i know nothing of what it means! :D

I'd still go for the 27" iMac. Feck it. You only live once :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Valentia wrote: »

:( Believe me...if i could i bloody well would!

I worked with a G4 Powermac (2 19inch screens) untill a couple of years ago when i moved back to Glasgow, and have coveted something similar since.

Sadly college fees have scuppered me this year, and my trusty old 30D is really starting to show signs of wear and tear, so the camera has to come first (and a lens or two as part of the overall upgrade).

So i need something cheap, and powerful enough to keep me ticking over for a couple of years untill i get through college and start figuring out what i want to be when i grow up! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I'm waiting on delivery for mine. Any day now!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Kbeg3 wrote: »
    I'm waiting on delivery for mine. Any day now!:)

i'd advise on the 27 imac as well, i've had one for about a month now, amazingly good and huge screen and so fast for dealing with the big 5DII raw files in their thousands

Are the i7s shipping I wonder? They weren't before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Maybe one of the new i5's or i7's. Quadcore would be fine. But definitely go for Windows 7 64 bit with 8 gig. 32 bit only handles just over 3 gig. No matter how fast people think their netbooks are they really haven't experienced how fast it REALLY can be ;-) Lightroom does 64 bit now. PS soon. Give yourself at least a few years benefit from what you buy now.

PS CS4 extended runs 64bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

They are now but they take two weeks to ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

they were, my i7 arrived around the 9th December, ordered it about 4 weeks prior to that.

it's all that i could need for photo and HD video editing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

the boffer forum suggests it would be eligible for free win7 upgrade... the price on laptop direct, amazon, komplett all over £700 so maybe not so bad
    Laptops Direct are appalling and I would suggest that anyone thinking of buying from them pays a little extra to get their goods from a reputable source.

• Advertisement
Advertisement