Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are your dogs sleeping in or outdoors?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

My Springer Spaniel has a lovely kennel outside but we still used to let him sleep in the kitchen on really cold or stormy nights. But we had to put the foot down recently after he had a pooing incident all over the kitchen. He never did it before and usually tries to hold it in but the other half flipped...in fairness, when he's in the kitchen gets covered in hairs and it just had to stop.

So, the kennel is packed up with with bedding (which he then drags around the garden - which doesn't help with gaining sympathy with me) and although he'd want to come in, his home now is in the back garden in his massive and actually very warm kennel.

There are people who will say to leave your dog out in cold weather is cruelty...but they are dogs.

Comments

I personally wouldn't let a dog sleep outside in that weather. I'm sure the poor dog didn't mean to have the accident in the kitchen? fair enough if he was doing it all the time, but it's a once off :(

In saying that, I would always have the dog sleep indoors, even in the best of weather. They're part of the family after all :)

Could you not talk the other half round?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My dogs are indoors at the moment due to the weather. I've nothing against people who let their dogs sleep outside, mine do 75% of the time, its a personal choice but its so cold at the moment so I have them and my cat inside with me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Nah, to be honest, he's a hairy dog in a warm kennel...They're supposed to be intelligent and he should be keeping his bedding in the kennel rather than dragging it around the garden.

It got too much to wake up to hair all over the black tiles. He has the run of the back garden and is spoilt rotten in many other respects. I know people who have dogs sleeping in their beds with them...Think about it...a creature that eats shiiit, licks it's own dirty parts..and then sleeps in your bed...they also car lots of disease carrying tics and fleas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Do you have a utility room? Could be an alternative, less space, less place to mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

My dogs are always indoors - one one the bed, (lab) and one in! Beagle bitchy.... Wouldn't dream of having them outside, ever, it would be like leaving my children out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

My JRT sleeps inside at night, in his basket in the kitchen and always will no matter the weather. He's in during the day at the moment too because I just don't like leaving him out in this weather (he has a lovely warm kennel but the sad puppy eyes get me every time!) once the weather gets milder though he's going out during the day again, it's healthier and there's more for him to do while we're at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭discosue

My Springer Spaniel has a lovely kennel outside but we still used to let him sleep in the kitchen on really cold or stormy nights. But we had to put the foot down recently after he had a pooing incident all over the kitchen. He never did it before and usually tries to hold it in but the other half flipped...in fairness, when he's in the kitchen gets covered in hairs and it just had to stop.

So, the kennel is packed up with with bedding (which he then drags around the garden - which doesn't help with gaining sympathy with me) and although he'd want to come in, his home now is in the back garden in his massive and actually very warm kennel.

There are people who will say to leave your dog out in cold weather is cruelty...but they are dogs.

It's -5 out and conditions he's not normally used to, have a heart and let him in till the really bad snap is over, he'll get used to it being outside again when things are back to normal, is it really going to be that much discomfort to keep him out of the cold for a few nights to you?

It got too much to wake up to hair all over the black tiles. He has the run of the back garden and is spoilt rotten in many other respects. I know people who have dogs sleeping in their beds with them...Think about it...a creature that eats shiiit, licks it's own dirty parts..and then sleeps in your bed...they also car lots of disease carrying tics and fleas etc.

Just wondering why you decided to get the dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well, if your dog has a dry and warm and out of the breeze kennel and is accustomed to being outside, then they'd be used to it.

My two dogs are indoor dogs so I wouldn't just put them outside as they wouldn't be used to or accustomed to it.

If your dog isn't kept out of the wind/rain etc and wouldn't be warm enough in the kennel there'd be an issue.

I'm a softie and I'd have them in at night anyway. But I can understand not everyone likes dogs indoors at night. An option perhaps, if you had wanted to let the dog stay indoors on exceptionally cold/frosty/etc nights - a crate/cage, that way the dog has one spot to sleep in, and if it goes to the loo, it goes in there (which it probably won't as it's sleeping there) and restricts hair getting all over the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You shouldn't be allowed to have a dog :mad:
    Why don't you go and stand in your back garden at 2am and see how long you can stand it? It's cruel to leave pets outside all night in this weather, just because you're too lazy to clean up dog hairs from TILES!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

All I am saying to this is: its your job as his owner to keep him disease and parasite free. I wont reply to the rest of it or I will be "about -to- be- banned" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry, but just because a kennel has lots of bedding doesnt make it nice and warm?:confused:

The temps are going down to -7/8/9 these nights so a few extra blankets arent going to make it much warmer.

Dogs are hairy and they have to go to the loo, maybe he just was bursting and wasnt let out in time. If hes not used to being in then he might usually go to the loo in the middle of the night and just had to go.

Id be wondering too why your OH got so upset over a little poo and some hair, they are dogs, and make a mess sometimes, but its easily cleaned up.

Id rather be doing that than worrying about the poor dog being left out in some of the harshest weather we have ever experienced.

eth0_ wrote: »
    You shouldn't be allowed to have a dog :mad:
    Why don't you go and stand in your back garden at 2am and see how long you can stand it? It's cruel to leave pets outside all night in this weather, just because you're too lazy to clean up dog hairs from TILES!

Excuse me, dogs are animals and belong outside. Some people leave them inside the house 24/7 and some don't...just because our dog sleeps outside, in a big kennel, with bedding, and protected behind a wall...doesn't mean he's being treated poorly. He's a much loved dog and well looked after.

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Just wondering why you decided to get the dog?

Was wondering that myself!!!

Excuse me, dogs are animals and belong outside. Some people leave them inside the house 24/7 and some don't...just because our dog sleeps outside, in a big kennel, with bedding, and protected behind a wall...doesn't mean he's being treated poorly. He's a much loved dog and well looked after.

possibly not if he's carrying tics and fleas.....

He is certinally not well looked after or loved, HE COULD FREEZE TO DEATH. Why did you get this dog?

possibly not if he's carrying tics and fleas.....

At which point did I say he has tics and fleas? FFS

Nah, to be honest, he's a hairy dog in a warm kennel...They're supposed to be intelligent and he should be keeping his bedding in the kennel rather than dragging it around the garden.

It got too much to wake up to hair all over the black tiles. He has the run of the back garden and is spoilt rotten in many other respects. I know people who have dogs sleeping in their beds with them...Think about it...a creature that eats shiiit, licks it's own dirty parts..and then sleeps in your bed...they also car lots of disease carrying tics and fleas etc.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, you are wrong there. Most dogs dont have any of these as they are treated to make sure they dont have any.
    I have a dog whos never had either fleas or ticks in his whole life. If a dog has any of these then its down to the owner to make sure they are treated for them, its part and parcel of dog ownership.

Hair all over the floor, is it really that bad?? its easily swept or hoovered up. If you get a dog then thats what comes with it, hair, dirt, slobber etc. If you want to keep your house nice and clean and free from hair, then NEVER get a pet. I always wonder about people who give out about these things when they have a dog. What do people expect??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irish horse

infrared lamp with shade

You said that dogs carry lots of diseases and tics and fleas. But they shouldn't.

• Advertisement

Lollymcd wrote: »
    He is certinally not well looked after or loved, HE COULD FREEZE TO DEATH. Why did you get this dog?

Lolly, you haven't got a clue, so please, don't judge.

The dog is walked every day, well fed, and played with all the time. He has the run of the garden (next door are locked up in cages and sleep outside in the night time) The kennel is big and bedded and very warm. For people to say I don't deserve to have a dog are really being ridiculous. My guess is a lot of you people leave your dogs run around your house and everywhere...and some of you may have kids too...I wonder if you deserve to have kids...

You wrote in one of your posts about dogs carrying tics and fleas.

andreac wrote: »

It got too much to wake up to hair all over the black tiles. He has the run of the back garden and is spoilt rotten in many other respects. I know people who have dogs sleeping in their beds with them...Think about it...a creature that eats shiiit, licks it's own dirty parts..and then sleeps in your bed...they also car lots of disease carrying tics and fleas etc.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, you are wrong there. Most dogs dont have any of these as they are treated to make sure they dont have any.
    I have a dog whos never had either fleas or ticks in his whole life. If a dog has any of these then its down to the owner to make sure they are treated for them, its part and parcel of dog ownership.

Hair all over the floor, is it really that bad?? its easily swept or hoovered up. If you get a dog then thats what comes with it, hair, dirt, slobber etc. If you want to keep your house nice and clean and free from hair, then NEVER get a pet. I always wonder about people who give out about these things when they have a dog. What do people expect??:confused:

Hair in clothes and food is not very hygienic.

You wrote in one of your posts about dogs carrying tics and fleas.

Yes, but did I say my dog had them? The above poster was trying to insinuate that I was a bad owner because my dog had these...when he does not.

Yes, but did I say my dog had them? The above poster was trying to insinuate that I was a bad owner because my dog had these...when he does not.

Your post indicated that one of the reasons he shouldn't be in the house was because dogs carry diseases and have fleas and tics. If you look after your dog properly, keep him clean etc then this shouldn't be an issue at all.

Hair in clothes and food is not very hygienic.

Its hair, its not that bad, its hardly poisonous. Theres a lot worse you could be eating.
    Really, if dog hair bothers you that much, why have a dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ok - stepping in here

Abouttobebanned - you need to understand what forum you're in, a lot of people here are very passionate about their animals and don't appreciate people coming in going 'yuck why would you people keep them in your house' and so forth.

Everyone else - it's unfair to say the OP doesn't deserve to have a dog and attack them for having their dog outside. A lot of people keep their dogs outside throughout the year in well sheltered, well heated kennels. Some people love dogs but just don't love them in their house all the time.
    As I said - IF this is the case, of the dog being warm and sheltered and dry enough outside, and if the dog is used to it, it should be ok and doesn't make the OP a bad owner if they take care of their dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Excuse me, dogs are animals and belong outside. .

Why do you have a dog ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

infrared lamp with shade

These are brilliant devices!
    Any farmer with weak and sick lambs (by probability that's every sheep farmer every single year) will tell you they are fantastic.

On a bitterly cold night it wouldn't be a bad device to have if you insist your dog will stay outside in the kennel

• Advertisement

My dog's a house dog, I've nothing against people choosing to keep their dogs outside but it is such a cold snap at the moment that i think you should take him in till the freezing conditions are over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement