Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are your dogs sleeping in or outdoors?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

If you post something on a publically accessible forum then I do have a right to judge you by what you say. What did you expect? It's a forum for debate, if you don't like it go somewhere else. Leaving a dog outside in -8c amounts to animal cruelty, you asked the question, I'm answering it.

What anyone else does, neighbours etc, should have nothing to do with your actions, only you are responsible for what you do, not your neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Hair in clothes and food is not very hygienic.[/quote]

Why do people assume your house is dirty just because you have animals?? I once made a relation a cup of tea and when in conversation I mentioned I had a cat they looked at the tea as though I had gotten the cat to make it :mad: I am v.house proud and don't find hair a problem with a regular cleaning routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

just wondering why you bothered you start this topic at all:confused:
    you seem quite happy your dog sleeps outside in these artic condtions.

as for me, all my seven dogs sleep in all year round...they`re part of the family and all have their own spots they sleep in. no big deal to run the hoover round for hairs etc:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

So he had an accident on the kitchen floor, how quick and easy was it to clean up? did you not read the dogs signs that he wanted to go? And a few hairs in the kitchen, dogs are hairy what did you expect?

My samoyed (extreme hair loss with these dogs) sleeps on my bed or her own bed which is also in the bedroom with us, im not saying you should do that but No way would i ever leave an animal outside in this weather, would you enjoy sleeping in a wooden box/kennel with some bedding in this weather? maybe the dog is trashing its bedding out of frustration?

Bring it indoors for godsake its only a few days of freezing tempertures and if thats really such a big deal then maybe you should think twice about dog ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭discosue

If you're questioning it you must know yourself that it's too cold to leave him outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Busby, as slept in the kitchen at night more than he's ever been outside...he never cries when he's put outside, but obviously prefers it inside. I see that temps are reaching record lows tonight so I'll be bringing him into the kitchen. In truth, I'm the softie and that's where I'd always have him but I have to be fair to my oh as well. For people to say that I don't deserve to have a dog, would only have to see us both to realise that that's bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I see that temps are reaching record lows tonight so I'll be bringing him into the kitchen. In truth, I'm the softie and that's where I'd always have him but I have to be fair to my oh as well. For people to say that I don't deserve to have a dog, would only have to see us both to realise that that's bull.

Good decision, big thumbs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

abouttobebanned = troll = waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've already posted a warning for both sides to back off a little so please heed that.

abouttobebanned - you can ensure your kennel is warm and dry by checking and even getting a temperature gauge to check, as someone else suggested perhaps one of those heat lamps may come in use on colder nights.
    I also suggested the crate/cage for the kitchen to limit the area the dog can roam around, hopefully reducing the spread of hairs (possibly unlikely) and hopefully keeping any toilet goings to one area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Have you got heating in the Kennel

Its just that its f**king Freezing outside

Dogs should not be kepted outside in this weather. Its -5 outside . when you fixed up the kennel im sure the stuff that you put in it was warm but I bet if you go out and check it now its freezing . I just find it cruel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I HAVE TWO DOGS AND I WOULDNT LEAVE THEM OUTSIDE AT NIGHT IN THIS WEATHER. I SEE WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM AND I KNOW THIS MIGHT SOUND NUTS I HAVE A TIP WHICH MAY BE HELPFUL . IF YOU HAVE A SMALLER SPACE IN THE HOUSE SAY A UTILITY ROOM OR A DOWNSTAIRS TOILET FOR EXAMPLE YOU COULD KEEP YOUR DOG THERE JUST PUT LARGE PLASTIC BOTTLE OF WATER IN THE ROOM DOG WILL NOT PEE NEAR WATER IT WORKS. AS FOR POO DOGS GET RID OF FOOD ABOUT AN HOUR TO TWO HOURS AFTER THEY EAT SO NO TREATS OR FOOD IN THE LATE EVENING AND THAT STOPS POOP.

duckysauce wrote: »
    abouttobebanned = troll = waste of time

duckysauce + backseatmodding = infraction

I suggest you learn the 'report post' function if you have an issue with a post in future.

edit - goes for you too SarahSassy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Excuse me, dogs are animals and belong outside. Some people leave them inside the house 24/7 and some don't...just because our dog sleeps outside, in a big kennel, with bedding, and protected behind a wall...doesn't mean he's being treated poorly. He's a much loved dog and well looked after.

No he is not being well looked after if he is out in this weather. Its cruelty. So what if he had an accident in the house. You have cleaning products dont you??? My blood is boiling.

Star-pants, sorry for earlier post. Didnt see your warning, it was my gut reaction.

Busby, as slept in the kitchen at night more than he's ever been outside...he never cries when he's put outside, but obviously prefers it inside. I see that temps are reaching record lows tonight so I'll be bringing him into the kitchen. In truth, I'm the softie and that's where I'd always have him but I have to be fair to my oh as well. For people to say that I don't deserve to have a dog, would only have to see us both to realise that that's bull.

Glad you're bringing him in. He'll be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

star-pants wrote: »
    duckysauce + backseatmodding = infraction

I suggest you learn the 'report post' function if you have an issue with a post in future.

suggest you mod properly and get rid of trolls

duckysauce wrote: »
    suggest you mod properly and get rid of trolls

And I suggest you read the forum charters before posting again. Take 2 days to cool off please.

EDIT - lethal lady would you mind turning off your caps lock please, it makes things easier to read that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

GREATFULLY NOTED thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

My dogs are out in the back garden for about 30 seconds several times a day, just long enough for a wee, they'd never consider staying outside longer than that no matter what the weather :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Excuse me, dogs are animals and belong outside. Some people leave them inside the house 24/7 and some don't...just because our dog sleeps outside, in a big kennel, with bedding, and protected behind a wall...doesn't mean he's being treated poorly. He's a much loved dog and well looked after.

No buddy, WILD animals belong outside. PETS are not used to these weather conditions.

He's obviously not 'much loved' if you can't be bothered to brush up some dog fur off tiles...jeez not even carpet but tiles! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

It was minus 16.1 in one part of Carlow last night and people are writing here about leaving their dogs out in unheated kennels. :mad:

I'd ditch a spouse that was stupid enough and cruel enough to leave a dog out in an unheated kennel in the current freezing temperatures.

It is best for dogs - who are pack animals and highly sociable (unlike your average farm animal) to live in the house with the human pack to which they belong.

If the house isn't suitable for keeping dogs, then don't have a dog.

• Advertisement

Right - as people can't seem to read my warnings about laying off the poster I'm locking this.
    I suggest a few of you re read the forum charter.
    And personal abuse of the poster or their spouse will not be tolerated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement