Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Disconnecting Constantly

• 07-01-2010 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've used wireless internet on my laptop for many years. Up until last week it was working fine. There are 2 other laptops using the same router so no problems there.

To open a new page I have to 'repair' the connection EACH time. What could be wrong??? I didn't change any settings, was working away on it one evening the next thing it stopped! :(

Any help is very much appreciated.

(To post this message I now have to 'repair' first then click Submit New Thread immediately!!!)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Any number of things unfortunately can cause this type of thing. Any new wireless gizmos in the house? Have you tried changing wireless channels? Your neighbours could possible have gone wireless.

Download netstumbler and see if you can find any other wireless networks using the same channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

This has been happening to me too the past few days and its driving me insane , keeps disconnecting and then have to repair it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

dub45 wrote: »
    Any number of things unfortunately can cause this type of thing. Any new wireless gizmos in the house? Have you tried changing wireless channels? Your neighbours could possible have gone wireless.

Download netstumbler and see if you can find any other wireless networks using the same channel.

We live in the countryside. No other wireless networks around.

martingore wrote: »
    This has been happening to me too the past few days and its driving me insane , keeps disconnecting and then have to repair it .

Technically it doesn't disconnect i.e. the red x doesn't appear beside the little pc down on the toolbar. A new page will just not load and I'll have to repair, then it will get the 'power' to open!!

I've turned off the router a few times too, no good.

Any other takers???!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

basically the same here

• Advertisement

Anyone have any suggestions to solve my problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

What ISP are you using? It could be a problem with their DNS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

You should try a continuous ping to the router to ensure its not just a browser problem. You can do so by:

Pressing the windows key and the R key simultaneously
    A box will appear referred to as the "Run Dialog"
    Type CMD into the box and click OK
    In the black window that appears, type IPCONFIG and press enter
    Under the heading "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection"
    Look for the "Default Gateway" Address which could be something like 192.168.1.254
    type ping -t 192.168.1.254
    Remember to replace the address above with whatever your default gateway address is
    If the connection is up (Working) you will see a response similar to this:
    Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
    And if the connection drops it will be something like this:
    Request timed out.

Its normal enough to the occasional line of request timed out but if you get many repeated lines of it then the connection has dropped and you can continue troubleshooting the connection. If on the other hand you generally get a response, it indicates that the connection is not dropping and you need to start looking at troubleshooting the browser.

Have the antennas on the router been repositioned lately? i.e. pointed downwards, at a different angle, etc.. This could cause a signal issue if your accessing it from upstairs or similar.

Also, if your using Internet Explorer to browse the web:
    You could go to Tools, internet options, click the advanced tab (top right) and then click the reset button which will reset the browser back to all defaults. Before you try this, do u have more than one browser that this is happening in? If you dont have a second browser maybe you could try to get one? Do you have virus and/or spyware protection?

USER X wrote: »
    Also, if your using Internet Explorer to browse the web:
    You could go to Tools, internet options, click the advanced tab (top right) and then click the reset button which will reset the browser back to all defaults. Before you try this, do u have more than one browser that this is happening in? If you dont have a second browser maybe you could try to get one? Do you have virus and/or spyware protection?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

I'll try all the hints you gave when I get home. As for the above, I use Firefox. Internet Explorer is also doing the same thing. How do I 'reset' Firefox??

You should try a continuous ping to the router to ensure its not just a browser problem. You can do so by:

Pressing the windows key and the R key simultaneously
    A box will appear referred to as the "Run Dialog"
    Type CMD into the box and click OK
    In the black window that appears, type IPCONFIG and press enter
    Under the heading "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection"
    Look for the "Default Gateway" Address which could be something like 192.168.1.254
    type ping -t 192.168.1.254
    Remember to replace the address above with whatever your default gateway address is
    If the connection is up (Working) you will see a response similar to this:
    Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127
    And if the connection drops it will be something like this:
    Request timed out.

Its normal enough to the occasional line of request timed out but if you get many repeated lines of it then the connection has dropped and you can continue troubleshooting the connection. If on the other hand you generally get a response, it indicates that the connection is not dropping and you need to start looking at troubleshooting the browser.

I tried the above and it keeps repeating Request timed out

What do you mean by I now have to continue troubleshooting the connection???
    Have the antennas on the router been repositioned lately? i.e. pointed downwards, at a different angle, etc.. This could cause a signal issue if your accessing it from upstairs or similar.

I have looked at the router and there is no antenna to have moved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement