Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The True Cost of Pets

Options
  • 07-01-2010 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Someone at work sent me this interesting article about the costs of pets.

http://money.msn.co.nz/blog.aspx?blogentryid=548586&showcomments=true

The figures are in Aus/NZ dollars but the percentages are quite interesting. I think a lot of people get a cute kitten or puppy and just don't realise the cost.

We got our cat last April and I reckon, in those 9 months he's cost us about $3000. That's mainle because he's been to the vet lots as he got attacked by another cat and needed surgery and he has feline asthma too. We do spend a lot on food though and he still uses cat litter and we buy the crystal kind.

Luckily, we could afford it and I would have paid anything to make him better when he was ill.

What do you think? Do you pets cost you a lot? Is it worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would agree, an awful lot of people get a pet because they want one but honestly don't realise the amount of time and money you spend on them.

We have two dogs, both bought, both insured, both indoor dogs.
    We would spend money on insurance, food, bedding, toys, grooming, brushes, harnesses/leads, vet bills etc
    You have to look after them as you would a child (my room looks like a play room! lol) as they're dependent on you (dogs are anyway, I know some cats adopt other owners for titbits ;) ) and so you have to provide for them.

Recently I had to get fox mange treatments for both my dogs, I've been to the vets over sprained paws, jolted shoulders, coughs, sick tummies and other things.

Their health and welfare come first to me, and I honestly wouldn't want a world without them. They're worth every cent, every frozen finger for a walk, all for an excited wag and a kiss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I'd pay any amount of vet bills for our two kitties, I love them.

Aside: for indoor cats do you think pet insurance is worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Lollymcd wrote: »

Yep.

Lollymcd wrote: »

Are they indoor 24/7 and not let out at all?
    although, even then if they fell or something fell on them or one of them got a genetic illness, you could still end up in the vets.
    My dogs are mostly indoor dogs, actually most of the damage they've done has been indoors playing lol. So insurance might just be worth your while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

6th wrote: »
    Yep.

Me too. Pet insurance is worth it not matter what.

Unfortuantely, we got it AFTER our cat was badly injured (my OH's fault!) and now cat bites and abcesses,a s well as his asthma are excluded from his policy. Do it before something happens to them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

They are indoors 24/7 no exceptions ever!!! I never considered genetic illness, one is 8 months the other is 14 months so who knows what's ahead of me. I've only heard of Alliance, does anyone else have any good experiences with any other firm?

Best to ring around and see which place covers best for the money you're paying. We're with allianz but that's dogs we have.

Advertisement